Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Well, made the Alpha Playoffs in the current Skirmish. Hooray gold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I haven't played in weeks and I feel like a new man.

I haven't played since last year. Speaking of, does the NA server not have the welcome back missions currently (https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2015/11/28/90-days-without-wot-missions-for-premiums/) or does logging on to the website count as being "active", because I'm pretty sure I've done that.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Kuntz posted:

I haven't played since last year. Speaking of, does the NA server not have the welcome back missions currently (https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2015/11/28/90-days-without-wot-missions-for-premiums/) or does logging on to the website count as being "active", because I'm pretty sure I've done that.

If you haven't played in awhile, post your in game name and I'll send you a recruitment invite if you're on NA.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Starting to play again, my Czech tank is only at tier 5, is the tier 9 or 10 worth the grind or should I not bother?

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

BadLlama posted:

Starting to play again, my Czech tank is only at tier 5, is the tier 9 or 10 worth the grind or should I not bother?

The T9 is one of my favorite tanks to play. Skip the T8 if you have the freeXP.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So this happened last night in my M53/55. I tried my best to carry the game but my team got slaughtered. One rear end in a top hat drowned himself to not feel the pain anymore. Did I give up? NO! TIL VALHALLA!!! :black101:

Anyway, it wasn't a very eventful game and nothing very exciting happened until around 11 minutes or so. I made a poo poo ton of mistakes (the whole match). Wasn't even a good arty game for and I was #1 on our team I think. :cripes: But it was fun. I just had a few funny shots like COMPLETELY missing a target and destroying someone far behind him. Destroyed a unicum I think. Lots of whining, which gives me the strength to carry on. Tried to go arty hunting with my arty at the end since we were going to lose but couldn't find them in time. Ah well, I had fun. This isn't a Hellsau replay so disregard if you don't want to see a Mr. Fantastic game.

So here is my M53/55 fun steamroll of our team.

edit - btw, whoever said to start slinging gold arty is a good person. Tears... tears abound. Expensive, but worth it at high tiers.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

RanKizama posted:

Well, made the Alpha Playoffs in the current Skirmish. Hooray gold?

Grats. I haven't played any Tanks this week and I feel great!

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

So this happened last night in my M53/55. I tried my best to carry the game but my team got slaughtered. One rear end in a top hat drowned himself to not feel the pain anymore. Did I give up? NO! TIL VALHALLA!!! :black101:

Anyway, it wasn't a very eventful game and nothing very exciting happened until around 11 minutes or so. I made a poo poo ton of mistakes (the whole match). Wasn't even a good arty game for and I was #1 on our team I think. :cripes: But it was fun. I just had a few funny shots like COMPLETELY missing a target and destroying someone far behind him. Destroyed a unicum I think. Lots of whining, which gives me the strength to carry on. Tried to go arty hunting with my arty at the end since we were going to lose but couldn't find them in time. Ah well, I had fun. This isn't a Hellsau replay so disregard if you don't want to see a Mr. Fantastic game.

So here is my M53/55 fun steamroll of our team.

edit - btw, whoever said to start slinging gold arty is a good person. Tears... tears abound. Expensive, but worth it at high tiers.

Reminds me of a match I had in my Tiger II yesterday. Went down brawling with two heavies ahead of me that weren't fascist poo poo boxes and a sniper alley packed full of TDs behind ready to blow my rear end off. I fought those bastards for a full minute all alone. Whole team melted. Almost took down the IS-3 but I got stupid and wasted a shot. I bounced so many shells off my hull. It was crazy and I had fun. Even with the whole team melting, the top tier heavy being a base camping stat badder, and the slap in the face 250xp with premium.

Any other goons on afternoons US Eastern with any regularity these days? Could use some platoon buddies other than mostly in the evening.

Captain Blaargh fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 5, 2016

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Captain Blaargh posted:

It was crazy and I had fun.

It's that weird? When was the last time we've said that before? Probably 3 years ago for me.

Also, good job fighting the good fight. :godwinning:

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It's that weird? When was the last time we've said that before? Probably 3 years ago for me.

Also, good job fighting the good fight. :godwinning:

I had a decent time when I was last active, but not great. The game seems a touch more responsive than back then and I also appear to have grown a small sense of tactical awareness. And/or the Hellsau School of Internet Tanking Warfare actually worked. I envision 'Press W and shoot red tanks' on a crest in Latin under a rampant clown-knight.

King Tiger representin'. Working on the third crew skill with my permanent Israeli flag. Haven't decided what I'm putting on the other side yet. And yes, I Stockholm Syndromed into that tank real hard. My end goal is to be the surprise scrub that wrecks you with that over hyped piece of Nazi garbage. Good gun though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Captain Blaargh posted:

I had a decent time when I was last active, but not great. The game seems a touch more responsive than back then and I also appear to have grown a small sense of tactical awareness. And/or the Hellsau School of Internet Tanking Warfare actually worked. I envision 'Press W and shoot red tanks' on a crest in Latin under a rampant clown-knight.

King Tiger representin'. Working on the third crew skill with my permanent Israeli flag. Haven't decided what I'm putting on the other side yet. And yes, I Stockholm Syndromed into that tank real hard. My end goal is to be the surprise scrub that wrecks you with that over hyped piece of Nazi garbage. Good gun though.

The preferred tactic is double tap R and click.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Captain Blaargh posted:

It was crazy and I had fun. Even with the whole team melting, the top tier heavy being a base camping stat badder, and the slap in the face 250xp with premium.
My secret to keep from going completely insane playing this game: I don't play to win anymore. I play to shoot at red tanks and explode them and ta fight da gud fites like a propa ork.* It just so happens that clicking reds and exploding them is conducive to winning so I still end up winning more often than 98% of the human waste that plays this game, but I will 100% prefer a lost game where I got to wreck some fools over a win where I didn't get to do poo poo.

*: And to harvest tears. Oh, how I savor them.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Driving around Winter Himmelsdorf in the O-I, shutting down the enemy team one by one while a single Pz. III follows me around pinging shots off of pretty much every part of my armour. I rammed two tanks to death, shut down the Cromwell who had just finished dismantling the rest of my team and then, and only then, I finished off the last remaining enemy tank - the Pz. III.

He ended up hitting me 18 times, for 1870 blocked damage. A total of 3550 blocked damage. Fun.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

:911::hf::britain::hf::china::hf::france::hf::godwinning::hf::japan::hf::poland::hf::ussr:

:smithicide:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Congrats on being another polka

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Vorkosigan posted:

The T9 is one of my favorite tanks to play. Skip the T8 if you have the freeXP.

How bad is the tier 8 compared to the T-34/100? I know the latter isn't highly regarded but I'm getting through it OK.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The tier 8 is vastly worse than the tier 7. The 7 is a great gun on a mediocre/bad chassis, the 8 is a mediocre gun on a bad chassis.

E: I liked the 34/100 enough to keep it, but even I won't claim the T-34 chassis isn't showing it's age something fierce by tier 7.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 6, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Atomizer posted:

How bad is the tier 8 compared to the T-34/100? I know the latter isn't highly regarded but I'm getting through it OK.

The TVP VTU is one of the worst tier eights, not because of one great flaw, but because it is so far below average in so many ways that the entire tank is a great flaw. It's like a CDC with the whole terrible armor but without the fantastic gun and gun depression or speed or horsepower or dpm or pen or credit making. I think the VTU's armor isn't so bad that it fears 105mm derps, but T49s are a problem and arti will explode you.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
If the 105 were an actual viable gun on that tank, it might have a niche as a reasonably mobile medium with a relatively big gun. Then again it would still just be a worse 416 at that point so there's really probably no salvaging Generic 240 Alpha Medium #6 or whatever.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 6, 2016

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
why is there so much loving arty in the game right now?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

celewign posted:

It was never actually nerfed, people just assumed the changes would be overall negative in performance when in reality artillery is still incredibly unfun for everyone involved and yet can still be used to immediately remove between zero and fifteen of the enemies from the match as well as anyone you want from your own team.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I don't think I can justify buying more Berlin crews; I think I have at least 3 of each :/

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Hypothetically if one were to attempt to sell their tank account, where would one go?

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

celewign posted:

Arty and lights have missions this week.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

If you buy another one of these Berlin crews and already have the tank do you still get the crew?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hellsau posted:

It was never actually nerfed, people just assumed the changes would be overall negative in performance when in reality artillery is still incredibly unfun for everyone involved and yet can still be used to immediately remove between zero and fifteen of the enemies from the match as well as anyone you want from your own team.

Please explain to me how every artillery across the board getting far worse aim times, reload times, and accuracy isn't a nerf. The part of your post starting with artillery being unfun has nothing to do with whether or not it was nerfed.

E: when did you start playing? I remember you starting posting right before I quit, which was pretty much immediately after the arty nerfs.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 6, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Saint Celestine posted:

Hypothetically if one were to attempt to sell their tank account, where would one go?

I hypothetically sold mine on EBay.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Saint Celestine posted:

Hypotheticallly you can also sell the account and get it back by not giving up the email associated with the account.
See johngalt a posts here for more info.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Please explain to me how every artillery across the board getting far worse aim times, reload times, and accuracy isn't a nerf. The part of your post starting with artillery being unfun has nothing to do with whether or not it was nerfed.

E: when did you start playing? I remember you starting posting right before I quit, which was pretty much immediately after the arty nerfs.

He's been playing since 2012, before the arty nerfs. Honestly in very many ways, arty now is just as accurate now as it was back then, due the way dispersion is nowadays. The difference is that instead of needing to actually be skilled, any moron pubbie can left click with full aim bloom and hit while I can fully aim and never hit.

In many ways, Hellsau is correct in that arty was never nerfed, because 99% of the people who play it are bad so it really was never nerfed for them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wait, snapshot meta applies for arty too? That whole thing is just so counter-intuitive to me I never make use of it aside from being more willing to make shots on the run. I'll give it a try with full aim bloom. That would be a huge efficiency increase, because it still takes about 20 seconds to aim with my M12 or even my 261.

All I know is that coming back from playing before arty nerfs, I used to be able to hit the engine deck a decent amount of the time, I used to be able to hit targets on the run, and I used to be able to put out a lot more shells. The first two are at least partially my fault, I can tell I'm not as good as I used to be, and my sinking WR is proof. But when I aim in all the way, most of the time the target is already dead or has moved into cover before I can get fully-aimed shot.

I know he had been playing since before the arty nerfs, I just wasn't sure if he had only gotten up to tier 4 or something, where arty was always poo poo.

Does the bloom have to be completely full for the snapshot dispersion to happen? Do I have to be rotating or moving the arty right up through the time I shoot?

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

It won't work for you because you're not red :v:

Snapshot meta just works period, regardless if you're fully aimed in or not. It's due to how they changed the shots. Irregardless, I still fully aim in my shots and probably still hit more than pubbies, but pubbies just get all the luck with theirs.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was under the impression that they had changed the distribution between fully aimed and fully bloomed from what Hellsau had been saying in Discord. I guess I was wrong.

I just want my SU-26 and 261 back.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Have that made the arty aim mod part of the game yet?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wait, snapshot meta applies for arty too? That whole thing is just so counter-intuitive to me I never make use of it aside from being more willing to make shots on the run. I'll give it a try with full aim bloom. That would be a huge efficiency increase, because it still takes about 20 seconds to aim with my M12 or even my 261.

All I know is that coming back from playing before arty nerfs, I used to be able to hit the engine deck a decent amount of the time, I used to be able to hit targets on the run, and I used to be able to put out a lot more shells. The first two are at least partially my fault, I can tell I'm not as good as I used to be, and my sinking WR is proof. But when I aim in all the way, most of the time the target is already dead or has moved into cover before I can get fully-aimed shot.

I know he had been playing since before the arty nerfs, I just wasn't sure if he had only gotten up to tier 4 or something, where arty was always poo poo.

Does the bloom have to be completely full for the snapshot dispersion to happen? Do I have to be rotating or moving the arty right up through the time I shoot?

The best games for me are when my entire team rolls over and dies so quickly that I can't get a shot off at the enemy because they keep disappearing as my team just rolls in one at a time. Or sits back staggered so only one guy sees the tanks and noone else can back the guy up other than me. But I can support because the guy go focused by 5 enemy tanks and melted and the enemy just moves forward.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What is garbage with SPGs now is that they are even more goddamn random then before. It used to be if you sat still for awhile or were really predictable, of course you'd eat a shot after someone had time to aim in. Now it feels like someone just needs to point the reticle somewhere over your tank and throw the dice. Its a bad system that is still a negative impact on the game and generally unfun for people on both sides.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

primelaw posted:

It won't work for you because you're not red :v:

Snapshot meta just works period, regardless if you're fully aimed in or not. It's due to how they changed the shots. Irregardless, I still fully aim in my shots and probably still hit more than pubbies, but pubbies just get all the luck with theirs.

When you're a good player in arty you get one shot every 30-50 seconds.

When you're a good player being shot by enemy arty they get one shot, each, every 30-50 seconds. If there are three arty on the enemy team and you're purple then you are going to have three arty taking shots at you every time they are loaded. They just get more chances, even if they're individually worse players. Two blood red pubbie arty with 20% hit rates will hit more shots than a single skilled arty with a 33% hit rate, and they're also more likely to tunnel vision on the one enemy purple all game.

If you don't have a problem with arty in this game then it is because your stats aren't good enough. Not that you are or aren't a good enough player, just that your stats don't reflect it yet if you've been improving. The difference between going from green to blue (in whatever the default XVM config is) and going from blue to purple is immense. When you're purple you are priority target number one for arty all game, unless someone else is even more purple. Pubbie arty will hold their shots and wait for you to become visible again, or come out from behind that rock even if you haven't moved for the last minute. There also are just not many positions on maps that allow you to actively contribute to games while being safe from arty.

Arty is just a bad mechanic. It encourages the very behaviour it's supposed to prevent - camping - while being so heavily based on RNG that the difference between good and bad play is minimized.

The big nerf resulted in a lot less arty for a while, but more because the nerf itself was overplayed. Also then missions came along and encouraged everyone to play arty as much as they play "normal" tanks and then we were back to 5 arty a side for a while.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Don't kid yourselves, a lot of tomatoes don't run XVM. You are far more likely to get focused on and sniped by tryhards than a random pubbie.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
I just remember that immediately following the arty nerfs there were suddenly a LOT more shitters in TDs which somehow made gameplay even less fun to play.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 6, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The aim time is the only actual relevant nerf. The reload time only matters to good players who want to contribute as much as possible, whereas the vast majority of pubbies playing arti just want to see number go big. The accuracy wasn't nerfed - my leFH's circle being slightly larger is a worthwhile trade for not having 20% of the shots automatically miss due to the shell hitting the outside of the circle, and if the leFH's HEAT wasn't nerfed from 150mm I don't think I could ever lose in the thing.

Some arti probably got hurt worse than others, particularly the M12 and others like it because it doesn't get a good non-HE round, has poor splash, mediocre alpha and reload, and still isn't accurate. Almost all the newly implemented artillery that came in when the lines were stretched to tier ten are good because they never got hit by the initial artillery nerf. Overall though they're all still better off than when the accuracy circle was more of a suggestion than a rule.

primelaw posted:

He's been playing since 2012, before the arty nerfs. Honestly in very many ways, arty now is just as accurate now as it was back then, due the way dispersion is nowadays. The difference is that instead of needing to actually be skilled, any moron pubbie can left click with full aim bloom and hit while I can fully aim and never hit.

In many ways, Hellsau is correct in that arty was never nerfed, because 99% of the people who play it are bad so it really was never nerfed for them.

Oh that's probably what's going on for me.

e:

RanKizama posted:

I just remember that immediately following the arty nerds there were suddenly a LOT more shitters in TDs which somehow made gameplay even less fun to play.

See also number go big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

Infected posted:

Don't kid yourselves, a lot of tomatoes don't run XVM. You are far more likely to get focused on and sniped by tryhards than a random pubbie.

About 75% of the people in the matches I'm in run XVM with stats enabled. There's a setting that allows you to see who is using it and who is not. Might be different on EU though, but a lot of NA players use XVM