Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Controversial opinion, I liked Oceiros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They didn't run out of ideas there bosses aren't that varied to begin with. Someone thought it would be cool and put it in.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Fighting Yhorm without Storm Ruler isn't even that bad, provided you have a weapon that can hit his head when he whiffs some of his attacks. If they just made him do an attack that made his head vulnerable for longer, easy to reach, and really obvious that you were supposed to hit him there, he'd be a decent boss, and they could've just kept the Storm Ruler gimmick as an extra little "secret" lore thing, along with the Siegward assist if you follow his quest.

Myrdraayl
Apr 13, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Plus you have a reason to use storm ruler because otherwise the boss is out of your reach. Yorhm is just inexplicably resistant to everything other than this magic giant slaying sword that doesn't even work on other giants. There's no reason for storm ruler to exist other than From running out of ideas for the boss so they just gave it a dumb gimmick.

Yorhm takes massive damage to the face and normal damage to the arms you can visceral him by hitting him in the face a couple times for quite a chunk of his health. Also your claim of the boss being out of reach is met with the counterpoint of bows and any ranged weapon in particular because you don't need to use the gimmick weapon same as in demon's souls

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have never seen siegward a single time after he showed up on that elevator

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Fighting Yhorm without Storm Ruler isn't even that bad, provided you have a weapon that can hit his head when he whiffs some of his attacks. If they just made him do an attack that made his head vulnerable for longer, easy to reach, and really obvious that you were supposed to hit him there, he'd be a decent boss, and they could've just kept the Storm Ruler gimmick as an extra little "secret" lore thing, along with the Siegward assist if you follow his quest.

It'd be funny if there was a safe spot near the entrance where you could just shoot him with arrows, eliminating the need to even loot it.

Hubbl3
Mar 28, 2016

Digirat posted:

I have never seen siegward a single time after he showed up on that elevator

I've never seen any NPC again after meeting them the first time, except for the ones going straight to Firelink Shrine.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Oceiros is cool, even if his second phase is just this ridiculous spazzfest.

Even if his weird dragon scrotum has funky fungus things like on his back.

On second thought Oceiros is not cool, that poo poo's pretty gross

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Republicans posted:

It'd be funny if there was a safe spot near the entrance where you could just shoot him with arrows, eliminating the need to even loot it.

you could wedge yourself behind a house and spam magic or whatever at the manta rays iirc. honestly the boss arenas were very poorly thought out on the whole in demon's souls. several bosses can be killed with a bow from where they can't even fight back. they've gotten a lot better about that tho (ie, the giant crabs that regain full health by leaving when you try to snipe them from where they can't get to you)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hubbl3 posted:

I've never seen any NPC again after meeting them the first time, except for the ones going straight to Firelink Shrine.

Come to think of it yeah I haven't seen any of the other characters after the first meeting either. How did they make the NPC interactions so unnecessarily weird if they made the game so linear?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Myrdraayl posted:

Yorhm takes massive damage to the face and normal damage to the arms you can visceral him by hitting him in the face a couple times for quite a chunk of his health. Also your claim of the boss being out of reach is met with the counterpoint of bows and any ranged weapon in particular because you don't need to use the gimmick weapon same as in demon's souls

I fought Yorhm today as a mage and hitting him in the head with magic did more damage, but still not enough for the fight to be tolerable. Eventually he fell over and let me visceral him and when I saw the visceral didn't even do 1/10 of his health I said gently caress it and picked up the sword instead.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Protip for Yhorm just summon one of the billion people who sit around there cooping with storm ruler. He's not a neat fightin' boss like Champion Gundyr or Nameless King that you feel like you got some poo poo DONE by soloing them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

to be fair, magic is awful

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Digirat posted:

Come to think of it yeah I haven't seen any of the other characters after the first meeting either. How did they make the NPC interactions so unnecessarily weird if they made the game so linear?

It's mostly due to the fork in the road that lets you choose between Cathedral of the Deep and Farron Keep. You have to do the areas in a specific order to not gently caress up the npc quests. And even then they're kinda obscure due to hidden triggers.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

RatHat posted:

It's mostly due to the fork in the road that lets you choose between Cathedral of the Deep and Farron Keep. You have to do the areas in a specific order to not gently caress up the npc quests. And even then they're kinda obscure due to hidden triggers.

Onion bro being in that well that you never have a reason to return to, but doesn't spawn there until you open the last shortcut door, is also a big part of it.

Anri's dark ending outcome is pretty easy to get, and the various magic vendors are simple enough. Really it's just greirat and onion bro that are a pain.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Does the Prisoner Shackle reduce damage? If I equip it my bow loses like 50 AR, it's very weird.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
graphical glitch apparently, everything is fine

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

That's Dark Souls 3 for you.

It's the new worst Soulsbourne like we all knew it would be.

Also broken record comment time: Siegward for me just gets beat to death for me. However I'm gonna try for a 3rd time pretty soon--fourth character, 2nd Dancer glitch run. Just not sure what sort of build to go as this time yet.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I did too.

He felt like Tigrex from Monster Hunter.

Also any word on DLC?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Thumbtacks posted:

graphical glitch apparently, everything is fine

Were you wearing the ring that boosts damage at max health?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I cannot for the life of me manage fight the sword-wielding lothric knights consistently. I've got the spear dudes down pat with the longsword-stance tip from earlier, but the sword guys either wreck my poo poo or I get lucky and get a backstab in. any hints?

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

ulvir posted:

I cannot for the life of me manage fight the sword-wielding lothric knights consistently. I've got the spear duded down pat with the longsword-stance tip from earlier, but the sword guys either wreck my poo poo or I get lucky and get a backstab in. any hints?

Parrying is the way to go for sure. Baring that you can try staffing on their side and get hits in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL-zzHEoOyE

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I fought Yhorm the other night with my golden spear character and wrecked him. 1400 damage on headshots with GHSA, which knocked him down quickly and let me shoot him for even more. It's not as fast as using storm ruler, but it is quite a reasonable way to kill him.

Manatee Cannon posted:

to be fair, magic is awful

Not by the time you fight Yhorm. At least if you do in Sully first, you can have access to all the sorcery boosting items, good int and the best catalyst. At this point sorcery feels even stronger than it did in DS2 because flashsword is so useful. And I'm not even running an int character. I think my next character will go with sorcery from the start to fully understand why people hate it so much.

ulvir posted:

I cannot for the life of me manage fight the sword-wielding lothric knights consistently. I've got the spear dudes down pat with the longsword-stance tip from earlier, but the sword guys either wreck my poo poo or I get lucky and get a backstab in. any hints?

If you don't want to deal with parrying (gently caress parrying), the other skill on your longsword is great against them. You can almost always lunge and hit them before they hit you if your timing is okay. Even if they do hit you, it's okay because that move makes you unstaggerable, so just immediately start mashing R1 as soon as the move is over and you'll take some damage from their first hit, but you'll chop them up before they can act again. Make sure you have a full stamina bar and you might need to upgrade your weapon to get a guaranteed kill. The guardbreak on straight swords is really good and gets a lot of attention, but don't underestimate the lunge. I think it's actually much more useful since it gives you a really safe way to close distance with dangerous enemies and start hitting them, which is all you need to win a lot of fights in this game.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 6, 2016

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I fought Yhorm the other night with my golden spear character and wrecked him. 1400 damage on headshots with GHSA, which knocked him down quickly and let me shoot him for even more. It's not as fast as using storm ruler, but it is quite a reasonable way to kill him.

Not by the time you fight Yhorm. At least if you do in Sully first, you can have access to all the sorcery boosting items, good int and the best catalyst. At this point sorcery feels even stronger than it did in DS2 because flashsword is so useful. And I'm not even running an int character. I think my next character will go with sorcery from the start to fully understand why people hate it so much.

sorcery is fine it's just not easy mode like running with a sword.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Come on, you don't need to die to Yhorm. The moment you do two-digit damage to a boss, you know FROM's trying to pull some weird poo poo. Pick up the suspicious item in the boss' arena and bone out.

Don't tell me you guys don't keep your bones always equipped in one of the five slots in the start menu.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The tiny damage and the ascending pitch while holding l2 were enough for me to figure out the yhorm fight. I was familiar with the storm king though so that took some of the guesswork out. Once you know there's a superpower locked in that sword I think there's enough clues, but people who missed Demon's won't know that until they read the description, which does suck.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Does upgrading a Blessed/Simple weapon also increase the HP/FP regen rate?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Hubbl3 posted:

I guess From Software planned on you dying, reading up the lore of the sword and mash buttons until you know it.

When I read it afterward, I saw that the description said it was broken and there were two of them. So I spent a couple of hours digging all through the dungeon and capital again looking for the other one because I thought they'd automatically combine into one once I found the other half.
I know better now but that was definitely a low point during my first playthrough. :negative:

I had also never bothered with weapon arts before and rarely two-hand so I had forgotten all about that mechanic.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 6, 2016

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Toiwat posted:

Come on, you don't need to die to Yhorm. The moment you do two-digit damage to a boss, you know FROM's trying to pull some weird poo poo. Pick up the suspicious item in the boss' arena and bone out.

Actually the problem was I was panicking the first few times I got to him. I ran around, picked up the item at some point and was too busy escaping his smash to read the item's name or get a good look at the picture because that little box annoyed me and I got rid of it ASAP :smith:

Hubbl3
Mar 28, 2016

Toiwat posted:

Don't tell me you guys don't keep your bones always equipped in one of the five slots in the start menu.

The problem with that is when you stagger him you do way more damage to him. So maybe they intended you to stagger Yhorm and then execute him.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Heithinn Grasida posted:

If you don't want to deal with parrying (gently caress parrying), the other skill on your longsword is great against them. You can almost always lunge and hit them before they hit you if your timing is okay. Even if they do hit you, it's okay because that move makes you unstaggerable, so just immediately start mashing R1 as soon as the move is over and you'll take some damage from their first hit, but you'll chop them up before they can act again. Make sure you have a full stamina bar and you might need to upgrade your weapon to get a guaranteed kill. The guardbreak on straight swords is really good and gets a lot of attention, but don't underestimate the lunge. I think it's actually much more useful since it gives you a really safe way to close distance with dangerous enemies and start hitting them, which is all you need to win a lot of fights in this game.

Szcwczuk posted:

Parrying is the way to go for sure. Baring that you can try staffing on their side and get hits in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL-zzHEoOyE

guess I should start using the stances more often than I do. I keep playing this game like the last two, so no wonder really large enemies gives me a rougher time than I'm used to. I'm a bit hesitant to parry stuff but git gud and all that.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

ulvir posted:

Also, it's worth noting that the knights have extremely low poise; almost every attack I've ever delivered against them has staggered them unless they're doing a special attack. I had trouble with the knights at first, too, but once you realize to just be aggressive they go down quickly.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Have the mechanics behind Estus flask refills been uncovered yet? I have a theory of my own that doesn't necessarily hold true -- I think it may be related to the amount of souls required to level up.

In my experience, if I need 2000 souls to level up, I will gain an Estus refill when I kill enough enemies to give me 2000 new souls. As I gain more and more levels, this requirement will increase from 2000 to 2500 and so on up to over 25000 souls or whatever in the endgame.

However, it seems to ignore soul-giving items and selling to NPCs, so it gets out of sync with your actual next level requirement as displayed in the stats.

Anyone with a low-level character willing to do some tests? I'm particularly curious about how this affects SL1 runs, but it seems more likely the soul requirement for refills grows independently of your current level, since every single kill in Irithyll would probably refill your flasks to max if it was fixed. Also uncertain about how costs for upgrades and NPC purchases affect the counter.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For the life of me I can't seem to summon anybody in Archdragon Peak. Whenever I see a sign I just get the "Unable to summon" message.

Also after getting to Untended Graves I'm wondering, does anything different happen if you put the various Lord ashes on the alternate Firelink Shrine?

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Hubbl3 posted:

The problem with that is when you stagger him you do way more damage to him. So maybe they intended you to stagger Yhorm and then execute him.

Fair enough; I didn't even consider that possibility, I just saw, like, 25 damage from two-handed claymore hits and decided "NOPE! Something's not right, abort abort! Roll! :v: Shiny, pick up the shiny!"

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Is there any difference between the Parrying Dagger and one of the small shields?

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Is there any difference between the Parrying Dagger and one of the small shields?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL-zzHEoOyE&t=102s

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The Wonder Weapon posted:

In terms of actually parrying? Not really. It's lighter in exchange for not being able to block. You can also feel guilt-free about infusing it with Blessed/Simple/Hollow, too.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I had been spoiled that Yhorm was a gimmick boss, but the opening cinematic gives such a good impression of Yhorm's size that I was kind of hoping for a fight where you have to ascend a couple floors to get to his head so you could stick your poo poo in his face hole or something. The series hasn't really had a fight like that since Adjudicator (and that was kind of the opposite), as long as they were throwing down Demon's Souls references I'd have liked that one. Really anything that added more detail to the Profaned Capital would have been good, it feels very rushed and underdeveloped as an area, almost DS2-esque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

skasion posted:

stick your poo poo in his face hole

Agreedo