Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
"Hey, watch me stick this thing down right on the edge of the runway for all these people!"

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=aee_1462410156 (skip to 30 seconds in)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

wdarkk posted:

Health at any size takeoff weight.

The aircraft equivalent of "brah's first AR-15."

"I added a rail to my rail so I could have two laser sights and a tac light, pretty sick, huh? Can't seem to get good groupings, though...it's like the thing's front heavy or something."

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
You want sleek?

Ordinarily I subscribe wholeheartedly to the school of painting aircraft black, but this is, eh... kinda tacky?

BTW if you want to see Swedish cold war jets and happen to be in Europe this summer, here's the historic flight's air show schedule - look for the green box in the right column. Red's unverified.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Did someone say sleek?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I think someone did.
https://zippy.gfycat.com/BasicElegantDragonfly.webm
https://zippy.gfycat.com/IcySarcasticDassie.webm

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I want that company to build a massive archive of every sexy beast in the air. Warbirds, modern aircraft, all of it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Actual discussion topic (this never goes well)

It was big news mid last year that Russia got really good at electronic warfare and has been highly effective at jamming Ukrainian comms/radar/GPS/other nav. Now Ukranian officers have met with American officers and the American officers fear there's an EW gap when hearing about the Russian's capabilities. While we've been balls deep in COIN operations with their relatively easy to disrupt coms/remote detonators and some cyber ops, Russia has been upping their EW game in a big way.

Related articles:
http://thediplomat.com/2016/04/russias-surging-electronic-warfare-capabilities/
http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/policy-budget/warfare/2015/08/02/us-army-ukraine-russia-electronic-warfare/30913397/

Count down to jamming pod race.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

CarForumPoster posted:

Actual discussion topic (this never goes well)

It was big news mid last year that Russia got really good at electronic warfare and has been highly effective at jamming Ukrainian comms/radar/GPS/other nav. Now Ukranian officers have met with American officers and the American officers fear there's an EW gap when hearing about the Russian's capabilities. While we've been balls deep in COIN operations with their relatively easy to disrupt coms/remote detonators and some cyber ops, Russia has been upping their EW game in a big way.

Related articles:
http://thediplomat.com/2016/04/russias-surging-electronic-warfare-capabilities/
http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/policy-budget/warfare/2015/08/02/us-army-ukraine-russia-electronic-warfare/30913397/

Count down to jamming pod race.

It seems that the US has really gotten complacent or almost negligent when it comes to certain areas like EW, instead appearing to put all their eggs into "sexy" areas like stealth and Railguns. Is it true that the Air Force pretty much has to rely on EZ/F-18's or is that bullshit?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Blistex posted:

It seems that the US has really gotten complacent or almost negligent when it comes to certain areas like EW, instead appearing to put all their eggs into "sexy" areas like stealth and Railguns. Is it true that the Air Force pretty much has to rely on EZ/F-18's or is that bullshit?

AFAIK The only purpose built "smart" airborne jamming asset is growlers. That, said I dont know that much.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Blistex posted:

Is it true that the Air Force pretty much has to rely on EZ/F-18's or is that bullshit?

Absolutely true. Some platforms have self-protection pods, but beyond that, the AF relies on the Prowler/Growler.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
Making that even better are all the fuckwit nimbys who bought property near a place that's been a Naval Air Station since 1941 whinging about planes being noisy and trying to get it shut down. I just wish they'd fly my way and lower more often, haven't been able to get any decent pictures. Been tempted to call their complaint line and tell them they don't fly enough, but don't want to add to the calls received statistic.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Blistex posted:

What the Russians are doing in Ukraine has been mostly ground based jamming which is where the capability and countermeasure gap really is from what I've read. Ground forces comm's can be hosed up enough with no hostile EW. I would imagine it would make combined arm's operations very difficult.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

drzrma posted:

Making that even better are all the fuckwit nimbys who bought property near a place that's been a Naval Air Station since 1941 whinging about planes being noisy and trying to get it shut down. I just wish they'd fly my way and lower more often, haven't been able to get any decent pictures. Been tempted to call their complaint line and tell them they don't fly enough, but don't want to add to the calls received statistic.

One call probably isn't that big of a deal, and I guarantee that whoever picks up the call will appreciate the change.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Godholio posted:

Absolutely true. Some platforms have self-protection pods, but beyond that, the AF relies on the Prowler/Growler.

Godholio posted:

Aren't there still like 2 EC-130s out there?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

The US and most friends have spent a gazillion dollars and manhours on EW and all related things, it is a huge focus area across the entirety of DoD. I get why there'd be a perception that it wasn't a huge area of emphasis because who wants to post killer hi-rez pictures of a CMIC or have endless debates about NIE or Ramstein Guard, but the emphasis is absolutely there.

That being said our ground forces have a pretty big gap in comparison, we think, to the Russians: they employ EW (and cyber) capabilities at lower tactical echelons far better than we do. We basically don't do crap with EW below the brigade, while the Russians have an EW guy in a fire team*. There are some good reasons why we keep EW/cyber stuff at higher echelons: spectrum fratricide, collateral effects and so on, but the speed at which this stuff happens makes the more centralized model a pretty big liability.

*exaggerated for effect

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^Because it's been over a decade since the topic was taken seriously throughout the Pentagon. They're waking up finally. But it's absolutely been neglected.

standard.deviant posted:

Aren't there still like 2 EC-130s out there?

There are about a dozen. But they're also big slow targets out there, unlike the fighter-sized platforms. That makes them unsuitable for certain things.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 6, 2016

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Godholio posted:

^Because it's been over a decade since the topic was taken seriously throughout the Pentagon. They're waking up finally. But it's absolutely been neglected.

There are about a dozen. But they're also big slow targets out there, unlike the fighter-sized platforms. That makes them unsuitable for certain things.

What sort of qualities do you want in a fighter sized EW platform? Would an "EF-15E Electric Eagle" or something similar work for this role, or is there some other quality needed that current airframes don't have?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Davin Valkri posted:

What sort of qualities do you want in a fighter sized EW platform? Would an "EF-15E Electric Eagle" or something similar work for this role, or is there some other quality needed that current airframes don't have?

I meant the 130s aren't ideal for certain things. I think the Growler's great, as long as it's not forced to languish and can keep pace with technology. I think an Eagle variant would be fantastic, honestly.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

TheFluff posted:

You want sleek?

Ordinarily I subscribe wholeheartedly to the school of painting aircraft black, but this is, eh... kinda tacky?

BTW if you want to see Swedish cold war jets and happen to be in Europe this summer, here's the historic flight's air show schedule - look for the green box in the right column. Red's unverified.

How is the RCS on that thing?

Tell me they're going to restore it? There better be a good story behind it

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I have no idea what I'm talking about (and that's never stopped me before) but don't you need a few guys in the back actually running the EW stuff? The Growler had a pilot and 3 crew, right?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Smiling Jack posted:

I have no idea what I'm talking about (and that's never stopped me before) but don't you need a few guys in the back actually running the EW stuff? The Growler had a pilot and 3 crew, right?

The Prowler (old one) had a pilot and three NFOs to run the systems. The Growler (new one) has a pilot and one NFO, with vastly better computers and automation to do more stuff than the Prowler with half the crew. And there are jamming systems designed for single-seat fighters that you basically set up on deck, and then push the "on" button and it does its thing autonomously. It just depends on what particular capabilities you want.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Suicide Watch posted:

How is the RCS on that thing?

Tell me they're going to restore it? There better be a good story behind it

The swamp angel is going to stay like that. Too much history as a ghost plane in the swamps on New Guinea

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 6, 2016

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

New Guinea isn't New Zealand.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Six‐week hike through the jungle. :stare:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sperglord Actual posted:

New Guinea isn't New Zealand.

Oops.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The Prowler (old one) had a pilot and three NFOs to run the systems. The Growler (new one) has a pilot and one NFO, with vastly better computers and automation to do more stuff than the Prowler with half the crew. And there are jamming systems designed for single-seat fighters that you basically set up on deck, and then push the "on" button and it does its thing autonomously. It just depends on what particular capabilities you want.
Yeah, it's kinda scary how the future of EW is starting to look more and more like it's going to be duels conducted between ECM and ECCM computers, and if the enemy has exploited your systems and programmed accordingly, you are fuuuuuuuuucked.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, it's kinda scary how the future of EW is starting to look more and more like it's going to be duels conducted between ECM and ECCM computers, and if the enemy has exploited your systems and programmed accordingly, you are fuuuuuuuuucked.
Technology reliant systems have always been like that (see the warning-radar homing-system of WW2).

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Wizard War Mk2A3E7 mod 4.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Super Tomcats and A-6Fs flying alongside Super Hornets is pretty much my fantasy 2016 CAG.

What would the ratio look like in your fantasy 2016 CAG?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Baloogan posted:

What would the ratio look like in your fantasy 2016 CAG?

Good christ the mx complement you'd need on that ship... :stare:

Those C-2As would be flying non-stop for parts. Also kind of odd it's carrying F-model Super Bugs but no Growlers.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ah crap, definitely need some growlers

Also has both the General Dynamics/Westinghouse and the Huges/Raytheon AIM-152 proposals https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-152_AAAM as a modern take on the Pheonix

Tomcats need their pheonix!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
I love modding ships in this game to include things like an 8 pack LRASM launcher on the LCS where it get's it's targeting info from it's drones or a Triton.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Xerxes17 posted:

Wizard War Mk2A3E7 mod 4.

It looks like you're trying to jam an air war in Asia.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Blistex posted:

I don't see what the airframe has to do with anything other than it's ability to deliver power to subsystems. It's the equipment fixed to the chassis that's important.

All I will say is that EW has been a high-priority, high-visibility and high-dollar value subject for as long as I've been in Space & Defense.

bewbies posted:

...[the Russians] employ EW (and cyber) capabilities at lower tactical echelons far better than we do. We basically don't do crap with EW below the brigade

This isn't true.

e: Let me rephrase, what are you defining as the minimal EW capability here that you would like to see lower than the Brigade level? Because I know of several systems that get pushed down to Company (or lower) level depending on threat assessment.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 6, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Murgos posted:

This isn't true.

Bening and Gordon sure seem to think it is. If you want to go classified we can discuss the gap statements I guess.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

block51 posted:

I love it when I get a chance to see a ton of C-17's in a row sometimes when flying into CHS. Going to airshows at Charleston AFB was one of the things I always looked forward to growing up.

I absolutely loved flying into Northwest Florida Regional Airport; they rent a runway from Eglin AFB, so you wind up taxiing past a line up of F-16s and a few F-35s.

Here's one of them, loaded with a bunch of test stuff:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Is navigation in an extended loss of GPS still a big EW research item? I remember reading some research papers on the issues a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The B-52 really doesn't deserve 1/2 it's nickname (BUFF = Big Ugly Fat Fucker)

I think it has really elegant lines. Sort of like a U-2 and a Sabre had a kid.