Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Finally got a Usenet setup going. It's rad but my poor bandwidth:

I switched from Sickrage to Sonarr because I use Emby for processing, so it wasn't tracking failed downloads, and it looked like it wouldn't replace lower quality files because of that also.

Aside: during the process I finally tried to see why my download speed was so lovely (I was getting 25mbps when I'm paying for 60mbps). I ran a website tool on Charter that "reset" my modem, and now despite multiple modem resets in the past year I'm getting 60mbps. ~5.3mb/s on sabnzbd and Astraweb unlimited ($15/2 mos plan). I'm guessing it's some sort of artificial cap that was removed.

Anyway good stuff. Couch Potato + Sonarr + Usenet beats Deluge + yarss2 for me. The automation is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Knyteguy posted:

Finally got a Usenet setup going. It's rad but my poor bandwidth:

I switched from Sickrage to Sonarr because I use Emby for processing, so it wasn't tracking failed downloads, and it looked like it wouldn't replace lower quality files because of that also.

Aside: during the process I finally tried to see why my download speed was so lovely (I was getting 25mbps when I'm paying for 60mbps). I ran a website tool on Charter that "reset" my modem, and now despite multiple modem resets in the past year I'm getting 60mbps. ~5.3mb/s on sabnzbd and Astraweb unlimited ($15/2 mos plan). I'm guessing it's some sort of artificial cap that was removed.

Anyway good stuff. Couch Potato + Sonarr + Usenet beats Deluge + yarss2 for me. The automation is great.

I was under the impression that Charter had upgraded most 60mbps customers all the way to 120mbps now. I know we had to get a new modem from Charter when they did the 60-100 upgrade.

I know for a fact that I started out with 60mpbs, got upgraded to 100mbps a couple years ago, and then up to 120mbps just recently...all without changing my plan or paying more. (well, i pay more because Charter seems to raise price a couple bucks every year)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

I was under the impression that Charter had upgraded most 60mbps customers all the way to 120mbps now. I know we had to get a new modem from Charter when they did the 60-100 upgrade.

I know for a fact that I started out with 60mpbs, got upgraded to 100mbps a couple years ago, and then up to 120mbps just recently...all without changing my plan or paying more. (well, i pay more because Charter seems to raise price a couple bucks every year)

Are you in the St Louis area? Here in Michigan, we didn't even get 60 mbps until a couple years ago. I'm pretty sure they haven't upgraded anything since.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you in the St Louis area? Here in Michigan, we didn't even get 60 mbps until a couple years ago. I'm pretty sure they haven't upgraded anything since.

Yeah I am. I did a bit more reading since I posted and it sounds like they haven't upgraded as widely as I thought.

So I guess yeah we've got a lot of murders, but we've got fast internet!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah I am. I did a bit more reading since I posted and it sounds like they haven't upgraded as widely as I thought.

So I guess yeah we've got a lot of murders, but we've got fast internet!

Yeah nope just 60mbps here as the base (up from 30 though which was a free upgrade). We have the option for 100mbps, however. I actually called looking into it this morning, and they want $200 as an "upgrade fee", because "that's a lot of bandwidth". No fee waiver either. I was going to try it for a month and see if it's worth it. What a scam.

We're getting gigabit internet in the city by the end of the year with Gigapower, so I'm looking forward to that.

e:
Apparently there's a data cap of 1TB per month though, so who knows if it will actually be worth it: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1010099

"Download at full speed for 2.5 hours a month and you hit our cap!" seems pretty stupid.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 4, 2016

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Is it possible, with any combination of any of these programs, to force a specific file quality/type? I try to stick with smaller file sizes, and would pay real money if I could tell my setup to look for anything labeled h.265 first before moving along to other files. I'm still using SAB/Sick Beard, because if it ain't broke, etc. I've come to the conclusion that the solution is either (a) so obvious that I'm going to feel stupid when someone tells me, or (b) isn't possible yet. I'd be happy to change software if necessary.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I just did a search for h.265 on DOGnzb and it seems to be extremely uncommon. Everything is still using h264. Any solution you find isn't going to help you very much.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Ahhhh. It's readily available for a lot of stuff in torrent form, so I just assumed those same files would be on the newsgroups too. No big deal, just something I was curious about in the interest of maximizing storage. I appreciate the feedback!

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Try using the HEVC keyword instead. I've been adding that and related terms to the ignore list myself as those terrible encodes kept slipping past my filters.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Acid Reflux posted:

Is it possible, with any combination of any of these programs, to force a specific file quality/type? I try to stick with smaller file sizes, and would pay real money if I could tell my setup to look for anything labeled h.265 first before moving along to other files. I'm still using SAB/Sick Beard, because if it ain't broke, etc. I've come to the conclusion that the solution is either (a) so obvious that I'm going to feel stupid when someone tells me, or (b) isn't possible yet. I'd be happy to change software if necessary.

hevc and x265 seem to be more common. There's 5,600 results with those tags on nzbgeek. 1,800 TV HD, I'm not extremely well versed on codecs/encoders/whatever, but I think those are types of h.265 or something.

CouchPotato allows you to "prefer" or require file names. I like DTS-HD MA so I use the following "DTS-HD, DTS MA, DTS". In your case you could prefer hevc/x265/h.265.

I use Sonarr which also has a "require", but no prefer.

e:
Anyone using Headphones know what's up with this? I have post processing on to move from sabnzbd completed dir to my F:\Music folder. It literally creates folders like this: "F:\Music\Artist\Album [Year]\Track Artist - Album [Year] - Title.mp3"

Like it doesn't substitute "Green Day" for "Artist" those are literals.

e2: nm I missed it it's under advanced settings.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 7, 2016

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Keito posted:

Try using the HEVC keyword instead.

Knyteguy posted:

hevc and x265 seem to be more common.

Spot on. Something in my brain was seeing h.265 when the stuff is actually labeled x265, with plenty of HEVC's as well. I've found the quality plenty acceptable, but most of my viewing is done in a VLC window on my second monitor in 720p... and frequently out of the corner of my eye while I'm working on something else.

It seems that a "preferred" function similar to CouchPotato's is in Sonarr's development plans. I'll keep an eye on that. This isn't a super high priority thing for me, just seems like an easy way to conserve drive space until I can expand my media server box a bit.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Acid Reflux posted:

Spot on. Something in my brain was seeing h.265 when the stuff is actually labeled x265, with plenty of HEVC's as well. I've found the quality plenty acceptable, but most of my viewing is done in a VLC window on my second monitor in 720p... and frequently out of the corner of my eye while I'm working on something else.
That might be the only way the current scene x265 encodes would be watchable. h.265 is supposed to allow similar quality as h.264 at about half the bit-rate, so of course the scene is releasing shows at 1/10th the file size of the h.264 version.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Anyone have any experience with VPS & setting up NZBGet? I'm thinking about moving away from my local solution for the time being and not really finding anything online in terms of reviews.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I'm about 30 days from having to either buy a loving tshirt or some bitcoins to keep my dogzb status - I like dog, but don't care for the tshirt design. Anyway, what's the hotness right now? I'm a vip on nzb.su, so I'm more looking for a backup. I don't mind paying for the service, I don't like being strong-armed in to using cryptocurrency.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

porktree posted:

I'm about 30 days from having to either buy a loving tshirt or some bitcoins to keep my dogzb status - I like dog, but don't care for the tshirt design. Anyway, what's the hotness right now? I'm a vip on nzb.su, so I'm more looking for a backup. I don't mind paying for the service, I don't like being strong-armed in to using cryptocurrency.

nzb.cat is pretty decent, I gave up on Dog due to the lovely way they handled the lifetime reversion and their inability to get a stable payment system worked out. If you want an invite to check it out then toss me a PM sometime. They have a weird thing where you have to get an invite or donate directly to get an account.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Yeah, I wish they'd take the PayPal icon off their come-on. Tricks me into thinking I can use it each time I think about it...

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah Dog is frustrating because they've got a lot of content but its run like crap IMO. Thankfully I'm lucky enough to have an nzbs.org account so anything else is just for backup purposes. I've been pretty impressed with nzb.cat though, a lot of my grabs come from there despite it being fairly far down on the priority list.

I also keep an nzb.su account active because they index a ton of content for women (much of it non-scene) that I can't get elsewhere, frustrating but haven't been able to replicate it. Gotta keep the woman happy.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah Dog is frustrating because they've got a lot of content but its run like crap IMO. Thankfully I'm lucky enough to have an nzbs.org account so anything else is just for backup purposes. I've been pretty impressed with nzb.cat though, a lot of my grabs come from there despite it being fairly far down on the priority list.

I also keep an nzb.su account active because they index a ton of content for women (much of it non-scene) that I can't get elsewhere, frustrating but haven't been able to replicate it. Gotta keep the woman happy.
Really? This would solve so many problems for me. I guess I need to find a way in to .su.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

The Gunslinger posted:

What kind of content for women? My wife loves Asian dramas (mostly Korean).

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't want to get probated or something so I'll just sorta say usual womens shows and leave it at that. Of course this is pretty specific to her taste and to be honest I don't pay much attention to it other than listening to her complain when I let the nzb.su lapse a few times. I'll check if I have extra nzb.su invites when I get home later but I'm sure I do if you wanna do some checks before subbing. Toss me a PM with an email address.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Is there something that's like Sonarr, but for generic content? Magazines, comics, etc? Kind of a pain in the rear end of keeping track of all of that sort of stuff by hand.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mortanis posted:

Is there something that's like Sonarr, but for generic content? Magazines, comics, etc? Kind of a pain in the rear end of keeping track of all of that sort of stuff by hand.
It'd be hard to make something truly generic, because each subset of content has it's own "scene" with its own formatting and naming standards. What part of this information is relevant varies by content.

You also need comprehensive databases of release information with public APIs so the automation tools can know what they're looking for with existing content and know when to expect new releases.

The closest to generic that I think could be reasonably accomplished would be maybe a generic framework supporting plugins for specific types of content.

Mylar looks like it's still being developed for comics, no idea about magazines.

You can also possibly cover at least downloading certain types of content by using saved searches as RSS feeds on indexers that support that. That obviously won't auto-rename and organize or track what you already have, but it could still be a viable option if there aren't many reposts or you have more internet than you know what to do with.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Mortanis posted:

I don't use Sonarr but Spotweb has been quite nice so far. It has everything I could ever ask/want.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Volguus posted:

I don't use Sonarr but Spotweb has been quite nice so far. It has everything I could ever ask/want.

Spotweb is more of an alternative to newznab type of sites and doesn't really function as an alternative in any way to Sonarr.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Does sonarr not support storing your library on a network drive?

I just set everything back up after a few years off usenet, sickbeard used to be fine as long as I mapped the relevant folders on the NAS to a drive letter but sonarr doesn't seem to want to co-operate.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Does sonarr not support storing your library on a network drive?

I just set everything back up after a few years off usenet, sickbeard used to be fine as long as I mapped the relevant folders on the NAS to a drive letter but sonarr doesn't seem to want to co-operate.

On Windows it's really picky how you set it up. You couldn't run it as a service if you have it mapped. You'd have to run it as a startup program for it to work with mapped network folders.

https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/wiki/FAQ#why-cant-sonarr-see-my-files-on-a-remote-server

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Mortanis posted:

LazyLibrarian for magazines. But I just started using LazyLibrarian, so your mileage may vary. So far some magazines have worked.

Here's a much more updated branch than the original: https://github.com/DobyTang/LazyLibrarian

e: nvm

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 13, 2016

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I have been thinking about getting into usenet for years, and I have to say it's pretty awesome. :( There is media and documents I haven't been able to find anywhere that I find on usenet pretty easily.

I had a relative using usenet for years but he was using multiple programs to repair\unpack, SABNZD is pretty awesome. Too bad all the best newslists are invite only. :(

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Is there a way to have Sonarr remove a bad download from my queue when it finds a Proper?

Seems like all the parts of this are possible (find and add Proper, delete queued download) but it's not a feature.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Is there a way to have Sonarr remove a bad download from my queue when it finds a Proper?

Seems like all the parts of this are possible (find and add Proper, delete queued download) but it's not a feature.

It's replaced bad releases with propers for me. Usually after the bad download has happened though. If it's still in your download queue, you can go the queue page in Sonarr and remove it there and there should be a button or something that will let you blacklist that bad release manually and it'll will skip it on rerun.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Supernews is practically unusable for me, SABnzbd fails on pretty much everything sickbeard sends its way. Any suggestions on another provider to go with?

I've started migrating off usenet to private trackers due to this, on the whole it's working pretty well. (Jackett+CouchPotato for movies, Flexget for series).

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The only way around takedowns is to get multiple providers. Pick a main one then get cheap blocks from the rest

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Anyone have experience using a dedicated server to handle all the downloading and streaming (via say Plex)? Basically how powerful of a CPU do I need to do this assuming it's just one user and one concurrent stream/device at a time?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Anyone have experience using a dedicated server to handle all the downloading and streaming (via say Plex)? Basically how powerful of a CPU do I need to do this assuming it's just one user and one concurrent stream/device at a time?

You don't need a very powerful CPU at all. The fact that people do these functions on anemic NAS boxes like the Synology attest to that.

That said, transcoding in Plex is going to be the biggest factor. They have some guidelines here: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201774043-What-kind-of-CPU-do-I-need-for-my-Server- Basically, any CPU made in the last 3 years will be fine, and you could probably build a new box to do it (excluding storage) for less than $350.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Unpacking gigantic archives can take a toll on weak CPUs, but it's generally not noticeable unless you are downloading a ton of things at the same time.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ashex posted:

Supernews is practically unusable for me, SABnzbd fails on pretty much everything sickbeard sends its way. Any suggestions on another provider to go with?

I've started migrating off usenet to private trackers due to this, on the whole it's working pretty well. (Jackett+CouchPotato for movies, Flexget for series).

You haven't been able to use just one provider to download off of usenet for years. I use Supernews/blocknews/tweaknews/xsusenet and very rarely ever do I get failed downloads.

I'll hit a private tracker a couple times a year maybe to get something I just can't find on usenet, but I just don't really have a lot of trust in "private" trackers.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

My 2010 Mac Mini 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo with 8gb RAM does exactly all of this just fine.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

Thermopyle posted:

You haven't been able to use just one provider to download off of usenet for years. I use Supernews/blocknews/tweaknews/xsusenet and very rarely ever do I get failed downloads.

I'll hit a private tracker a couple times a year maybe to get something I just can't find on usenet, but I just don't really have a lot of trust in "private" trackers.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but do you just set them (the different providers) up as a primary and backup in SABnzbd?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I just use Astraweb, and excluding some Sunday nights, it's absolutely perfect. When there is a failed file, there's another upload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

B-Nasty posted:

You don't need a very powerful CPU at all. The fact that people do these functions on anemic NAS boxes like the Synology attest to that.

That said, transcoding in Plex is going to be the biggest factor. They have some guidelines here: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201774043-What-kind-of-CPU-do-I-need-for-my-Server- Basically, any CPU made in the last 3 years will be fine, and you could probably build a new box to do it (excluding storage) for less than $350.

I threw together a cheap AMD A8 box for a HTPC and File/Media server. ~$375 Canadian, which is $290 USD. It's been able to handle all the media encoding I've tried, although I haven't tried with anything >1080p.