Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

:siren::siren::siren:

There's a sale on all Thermoworks products, including Thermapens. Use the coupon code 15OFFSITEWIDE. With 15% off, you can snag a ClassicThermapen for $67. Still a bit pricey, but cheaper than $100 for a brand new Mk. 4 and it performs just as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What's a good propane burner for a patio that can be placed on a cart? I wanna start woking properly

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

How do we feel about Big Green Eggs? Assume that it fits my budget, and that I want to grill/roast more than I want to smoke, but I still want to be able to smoke decently.

Troll craigslist for a used bge. Totally worth it but I'm a shameless fanboy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BraveUlysses posted:

Troll craigslist for a used bge. Totally worth it but I'm a shameless fanboy.

Is that worth it given that the warranty doesn't transfer?

Hed posted:

They are great, you won't regret it. You can obviously geek & kit out as much as you want. I have an XL and augmented it with a lot of stuff from Ceramic Grill Store. Although it seems like they have some goofy new CMS that killed my links on their site I purchased:
  • XL Woo2 Adjustable Rig Combo (comes with 17.5" round stone). The Woo brings the grill up an inch or two to the felt line and in lieu of the BGE-brand plate setter, lets me drop in the round stone for indirect cooking. The Adjustable rig lets me go from just the one grill level to up to 3 levels for smoking lots of stuff (like 6 racks of lying-down ribs).
  • 18" Drip Pan SS Round - XL, 19". Can use this to cover the stone, but I generally just foil it for shorter cooks.
  • Their ash tool. (TEX-AT) I'm sure the BGE ash tool would be fine if your dealer throws it in
  • 19" Half Round Ceramic Stone (9.5"x19") - XL. I use this to force a direct and indirect side of the grill for cooking steaks. Some people use the reverse sear (cook low until done, take meat off, open up the vents and put meat back on to sear & finish).
  • BBQ Guru ceramic adaptor. This is an aparatus for controlling airflow with a damper for really long cooks.

The ceramic adaptor you can either buy one of the turnkey temperature controllers or use forums user Capn Bry's excellent Heatermeter and a remote damper from the fine folks at TVWBB's forums to do set-and-forget BBQ. I use the Roto damper for long cooks. The former you to reverse proxy your meat progress so you can embed your meat progress into your BBQ invites for your guests:

That XL cooks 20 hours without me really futzing with it at all after I close the lid the first time.

More info in the smoking thread

This is fantastic. Not sure about running ethernet to my Canadian outdoors, but it's definitely nerd-tempting.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 6, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Subjunctive posted:

How do we feel about Big Green Eggs?

It's the ultimate cooking experience IMO.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a knockoff steel egg that I love. The real deal would be even better, but this has served me well.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

Is that worth it given that the warranty doesn't transfer?

This is fantastic. Not sure about running ethernet to my Canadian outdoors, but it's definitely nerd-tempting.

Yes, I've bought 3 used BGEs. sometimes the internal ceramic pieces can crack from thermal cycling or thermal shock but they are still functional.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Thanks for the grill advice, all. For now I'm looking into the Genesis with a small kettle for when I want to experiment. One last question: If I do get the Genesis, is it worth upgrading to the cast iron grates?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Brocktoon posted:

Thanks for the grill advice, all. For now I'm looking into the Genesis with a small kettle for when I want to experiment. One last question: If I do get the Genesis, is it worth upgrading to the cast iron grates?

I would go with a 22" kettle. The 18" one is too small for indirect heat and the lid to grill height makes it hard to do things like beercan chicken etc.. You can take out the grate and put the chicken on bricks with the coals but that makes indirect heating even harder to pull off.

The 2 different genesis grills I have bought have had the stainless grates and they have been very nice and easy to cook on. You can even get thicker stainless grates and flavorizer bars made up by metal shops that sell one ebay.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mr. Wookums posted:

What's a good propane burner for a patio that can be placed on a cart? I wanna start woking properly

I got a used one of these guys for $25 and it gets hot enough to get the grate glowing:
http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP10-High-Pressure-Outdoor/dp/B000291GBQ

I get wok hei and fabulous crusty smashburgs, haven't done a super sear steak yet though, but its next.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Does it radiate a ton of heat down? If not that sounds perfect. It'll be placed on wood.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mr. Wookums posted:

Does it radiate a ton of heat down? If not that sounds perfect. It'll be placed on wood.

I have mine sitting on a wood bench/porch on a 1" thick paver tile that happened to be in the back yard. It the right height for tossing and mixing things, i just need to get a small table for ingredients.

I'll take a picture when I get home in a about an hour.

I did have to buy gloves and longer wok tools because I'd lose my knuckle and wrist hair every time. (Upside down because rain is coming)

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 6, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BraveUlysses posted:

Yes, I've bought 3 used BGEs. sometimes the internal ceramic pieces can crack from thermal cycling or thermal shock but they are still functional.

What about if the felt gasket fails, which I've heard is common?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

What about if the felt gasket fails, which I've heard is common?

Those fail due to user error. It's easy to replace with a tape if youre not lazy

/e- like branding them with coals is how they'd die

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

taqueso posted:

It's the ultimate cooking experience IMO.
Eh. They're okay. The insulation is nice and all, but really almost any vertical smoker is going to be a pretty efficient cooker, and the cost for cooking volume on e.g. a WSM is a fraction of what it is with the BGEs. Like this past weekend I did around 25# of brisket in a 22" WSM and had room to spare. That wouldn't even fit in a large BGE (which costs twice as much), and to get that much cook capacity you'd have to shell out around US$4k for the XXL.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

toplitzin posted:

Looks like a new knife maker is trying to get some traction.
Has anyone gotten hands on or thoughts?

I do love my Wüsthof / Henkels

http://www.misen.co

The design is almost identical to the Zwilling Pro, and Aus 8 steel is not a premium steel. Could be a decent knife, but at a glance it certainly doesn't look like it would be a world of improvement over a Wusthof or similar.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That's just the ridiculous tagline of BGE. A place right by work sells them and I see the sign that says it everyday.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

taqueso posted:

That's just the ridiculous tagline of BGE. A place right by work sells them and I see the sign that says it everyday.
Huh. I'm pretty sure I've literally never seen any advertising for the BGE.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

SubG posted:

It's a fireplace/firepit/giant stone backyard barbecue store.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SubG posted:

Almost every single "home show" advertises that they are giving one away in the print/radio/TV ad.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The Midniter posted:

There's a sale on all Thermoworks products, including Thermapens. Use the coupon code 15OFFSITEWIDE. With 15% off, you can snag a ClassicThermapen for $67. Still a bit pricey, but cheaper than $100 for a brand new Mk. 4 and it performs just as well.

This is a good deal, but I also want to plug Thermoworks even without the discount. When I bought my Thermpen they included this hilarious keychain thermometer that actually works:

Good company

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm trying to find a 40 quart+ (60 preferred) stock pot for my mom for mother's day tomorrow, but I'm only seeing 20 qt ones at stores. Checked bed bath and beyond and TJ Maxx. Any ideas?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Walmart? Mexican Grocery store? GFS or another restaurant supply store? A location would help.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Buffalo. I just checked Target. Going to an upscale cooking store next.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If anyone knows a good restaurant supply store still open, that would be awesome.

Edit: Premier gourmet has a 40 qt Winware for $200. Is that outrageous?
Specifically, it's the "master cook collection" one.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 8, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Depends on how much you love your mom.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I mean am I getting ripped off? (Probably)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I said gently caress it and bought this sucker online.

http://www.amazon.com/Pinch-SP-60-Stainless-Steel-Stock/dp/B00KYR5RMU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It was the last one in stock. I'll just tell her to expect her gift in the mail on Wednesday or so.

Edit:

I lied. I cancelled that one and ordered this one:

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/pinch/sp-80/p1516033.aspx

Cheaper, bigger, and no tax. There's a 100qt for not much more, but at some point, it gets a little ridiculous.

My mom is gonna be making a LOT of soup!

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 8, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I can't believe nobody warned me how big an 80qt pot is. It won't fit on her stove. :eng99:

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

KillHour posted:

I can't believe nobody warned me how big an 80qt pot is. It won't fit on her stove. :eng99:

Get an outdoor propane burner you can stick it on? What in the world is she doing in her kitchen that she is making 20 gallons of soup?

Something like this: http://smile.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP10-High-Pressure-Outdoor/dp/B000291GBQ

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well, she has a 20 and she said it was too small. I THOUGHT she had a 40, so I was going to get a 60, but changed it to an 80 at the last minute. It's for marinara sauce and chili, mostly...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I should clarify that I don't cook and know nothing about stock pots (or liquid volume, apparently), hence why I asked in the thread. But seriously, look at this thing!

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 13, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I thought it was a little odd, but I also figured dimensions were likely on the page linked.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
After firing up the grill to cook dinner the other day, I figured I could take advantage of it and use it to season a cast iron skillet and a griddle. I rubbed vegetable shortening on them and put them inside the covered BBQ, upside down, for an hour at 400F. After an hour, I took them out, applied more shortening and in for an hour more. Then left to cool down.

I had read about expecting a lot of smoke, but did not see any. They both came out a little sticky, the griddle considerable stickier. Is that expected? Did I do something wrong?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Like this is the description

quote:

With your company pot luck around the corner, you've been busy scratching your head, wondering how you’re going to make a dish large enough to serve so many employees. After going through your recipe book numerous times, you keep stopping on the creamy potato soup. It's always been your personal favorite, especially since everyone who has tried it has never turned away.

Invest in this 80 quart Stainless Steel Stock Pot with Cover (SP-80) from Pinch and easily make large batches of your favorite soups, chilis, and more! This durable pot has been designed to withstand high volume use and you’ll be the center of attention at this year’s pot luck.

This stock pot is perfect for pot lucks:
20 gallon capacity (80 quarts) and is 16” in height and 20” in diameter
3-ply bottom consists of two layers of stainless steel surrounding a 5mm aluminum core
Excellent heat distribution that can be used on induction ranges
1.2mm/18 gauge 18/8 stainless steel superior strength and durability
Purchase includes lid
Great for preparing large batches of soups, pasta, broth, chili and more!
Pinch Pointers

No need to find a large bowl; you can serve your soup straight from this stock pot!
The first 40, while expensive, is likely very good at what it does, which is not feed a bunch of employees.

not being snarky, it's a very innocent mistake which I'm sure will be more memorable than the 40.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

KillHour posted:

I should clarify that I don't cook and know nothing about stock pots (or liquid volume, apparently), hence why I asked in the thread. But seriously, look at this thing!

This reminds me of the time that I bought an 18" potato masher without thinking about size. You want it? That pot might be the right size for it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

rgocs posted:

After firing up the grill to cook dinner the other day, I figured I could take advantage of it and use it to season a cast iron skillet and a griddle. I rubbed vegetable shortening on them and put them inside the covered BBQ, upside down, for an hour at 400F. After an hour, I took them out, applied more shortening and in for an hour more. Then left to cool down.

I had read about expecting a lot of smoke, but did not see any. They both came out a little sticky, the griddle considerable stickier. Is that expected? Did I do something wrong?

too thick of oil if it's sticky. Get that sucker super hot then start again.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

rgocs posted:

It sounds like either a) your grill wasn't actually hitting 400 F, or b) your shortening has a smoke point higher than 400 F. Generic veg shortening usually has a smoke point around 375 F (give or take depending on composition), but many common veg oils have smoke points at or above 400 F (like canola).

If you're planning on doing a bunch of seasoning, 500 F is a safer bet, unless you happen to know the smoke point of the oil you're using is much lower.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

you ate my cat posted:

This reminds me of the time that I bought an 18" potato masher without thinking about size. You want it? That pot might be the right size for it.

Gonna make all the potatoes. :v:

Seriously, though. I'm debating whether to donate the pot to the city mission or use it as an excuse to finally start homebrewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

SubG posted:

It sounds like either a) your grill wasn't actually hitting 400 F, or b) your shortening has a smoke point higher than 400 F. Generic veg shortening usually has a smoke point around 375 F (give or take depending on composition), but many common veg oils have smoke points at or above 400 F (like canola).

If you're planning on doing a bunch of seasoning, 500 F is a safer bet, unless you happen to know the smoke point of the oil you're using is much lower.

I have used shortening in the past and it is very difficult to apply in a thin coat. Anywhere that is thick is going to stay gummy. Supposedly it will run off when hot but in my experience some parts will still be thick enough to get gummy.

Ideally you should use flax oil (which is food grade linseed) heat the pan to 200F or so. Wipe on a thin coat of oil and then wipe excess off. Then put in a 550F oven for an hour and let cool for 2 hours then repeat 3-7 times.

You can use other oils if you can't find flax (it's in the refrigerated supplement section at place like GNC or whole foods. I have used sunflower and vegetable and shortening in the past but the Flax is really worth picking up.

Here is a dutch oven I just did and posted in the Cast Iron thread with only 2 coats.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694651&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=20#post459523904