Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Someone get on with editing Trump's hair on that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Firos posted:

I think it's just saying that, under the new "everything is back to normal" plans, poor performing schools will be forced to academise.

https://twitter.com/BBCVickiYoung/status/728585684366282753

I'd take it that the gov't would pressure Ofsted into rating more state school as sub par in the future and continue on as normal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

VileLL posted:

how could anyone actually justify voting lib dem

i genuinely can’t figure out the thought process there
They often have candidates who are better on civil liberties than the authoritarian wing of Labour. Then again there were 18th century theocratic monarchies with a better record on civil liberties than the authoritarian wing of Labour, so it's not really saying much.

Also there's a lot of rural constituencies where Labour don't have a hope in hell of getting in, so under FPTP it's better to vote Lib Dem than split the vote and let a Tory in.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Pissflaps posted:

What climate is this?

Aggressive press, internal division and widespread distrust of established brands in favour of nationalism. They've done fine considering.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Guavanaut posted:

Also there's a lot of rural constituencies where Labour don't have a hope in hell of getting in, so under FPTP it's better to vote Lib Dem than split the vote and let a Tory in.

This presents a problem for Labour if any by-elections get called in the South West: on one hand, they're obligated to fight by elections wherever they can; on the other, standing aside for the Lib Dems (in exchange for Labour getting a clean run in other battlebus by-elections) presents the best chance of reducing the Tory majority.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TinTower posted:

This presents a problem for Labour if any by-elections get called in the South West: on one hand, they're obligated to fight by elections wherever they can; on the other, standing aside for the Lib Dems (in exchange for Labour getting a clean run in other battlebus by-elections) presents the best chance of reducing the Tory majority.

If Tim Farron wasn't a worthless opportunist I would suggest a Lib-Lab pact.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

ultrabindu posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCVickiYoung/status/728585684366282753

I'd take it that the gov't would pressure Ofsted into rating more state school as sub par in the future and continue on as normal.

Current head of ofstead is the executive officer of an academy and Morgan was reportedly looking for an American to replace him, so I doubt much pressure would be needed.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Is it really worth burning basically the entire Muslim vote in Britain for it?

Realistically how many Muslims were likely to vote Tory anyway? Although oddly one thing Boris did pretty well in his campaigns was wooing the Muslim vote - it probably wasn't enough to be decisive but it was something noted at the time as something no Tory candidate had ever particularly bothered with.

Besides even if they managed to somehow magically win them over, the only places Muslims live in sufficient numbers to be politically significant are already Labour strongholds, whereas the kind of people who are likely to come to the Tories if they start bashing Muslims live in much more politically interesting places like Thurrock where grabbing even a couple of dozen away from Labour could be enough to win them the seat.

I guarantee you all of this will have been plotted out pretty carefully before they started cribbing moves from the Republican playbook.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

VileLL posted:

how could anyone actually justify voting lib dem

i genuinely can’t figure out the thought process there

My dad would never vote Tory cause they're obviously evil but he thinks Labour are somehow more authoritarian than them, also he's a member of CAMRA and has a beard.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Dabir posted:

Also he's a member of CAMRA and has a beard.

CAMRA are basically a drinking club for Lib Dems, so…

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
Currently Labour and the Tories have lost 24 seats each, with the Lib Dems picking up 30 and UKIP getting 24.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

If Tim Farron wasn't a worthless opportunist I would suggest a Lib-Lab pact.
Sometimes worthless opportunists are the best to deal with for temporary pacts.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I guarantee you all of this will have been plotted out pretty carefully before they started cribbing moves from the Republican playbook.
The majority of Muslims in the US were Republican voters prior to the 9/11 witch hunts. I know that's not the playbook you're referring to, but their rhetoric on traditional family, religion, and hard work, appealed to conservative Muslims. Was there ever a similar thing in the UK or were the Tories more transparently anti-Muslim?

Dabir posted:

My dad would never vote Tory cause they're obviously evil but he thinks Labour are somehow more authoritarian than them, also he's a member of CAMRA and has a beard.
They are, as a party. Corbyn might not be, but the PLP has tended to be much less concerned with civil liberties than the Lib Dems.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Currently Labour and the Tories have lost 24 seats each, with the Lib Dems picking up 30 and UKIP getting 24.

Now it's 23 Labour losses to 28 tory ones.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The majority of Muslims in the US were Republican voters prior to the 9/11 witch hunts. I know that's not the playbook you're referring to, but their rhetoric on traditional family, religion, and hard work, appealed to conservative Muslims. Was there ever a similar thing in the UK or were the Tories more transparently anti-Muslim?

Other way, I think - since the Section 28 thing the Tories haven't really done much that you can say would be pitched to appeal specifically to religious conservatives. It's just not anywhere near as profitable politically here as it is there, whereas xenophobia is always a favourite, and they wouldn't want to risk losing two votes to UKIP/BNP to gain one from Labour.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Rare footage of something decent in the Guardian.

quote:

When it comes to assessing Labour’s electoral fortunes, Corbyn is treated with all the due process of a 17th-century woman accused of witchcraft and dunked in a river. If she drowns she’s innocent; if she floats she’s guilty and condemned as a witch. Either way the verdict is never in her favour.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Respect have been completely wiped out. They had five councillors left in 2014, all in Bradford, who were going through a will-they-won't-they phase of resigning then rejoining. One of them joined Labour, and won his election; the other four have been beaten, one by a Lib Dem, one by an Independent, and two by Labour. Tooting will almost certainly be Galloway's last stand.

The BNP still hang on by one councillor, by dint of him not being up for election this year. Given he only squeaked through by six votes in 2014, his days are numbered.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Sometimes worthless opportunists are the best to deal with for temporary pacts.

They are, as a party. Corbyn might not be, but the PLP has tended to be much less concerned with civil liberties than the Lib Dems.

No, no, more authoritarian than the Tories.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

sweek0 posted:

I voted Lib Dem with a Labour second preference. They're the party closest to my own ideas and, while I have very mixed feelings about the coalition years, I do believe that they got way too much flack for a minority partner in that government and that they stopped the Tories from doing quite a few bad things. But I'm used to coalitions and I feel like the Brits don't quite view them in the same way I do.

thanks for the explanation, definitely helpful and such

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
PCC Election Updates:
Most places reporting kept the same person (Cleveland, Dorset, Durham, Hertfordshire, Northumbria, Suffolk, Wiltshire).
South Yorkshire's previous PCC wasn't standing but stayed Labour.
Lincolnshire swapped Independent Alan Hardwick for Conservative Marc Jones.
e: West Mercia replaced Independent Bill Longmore with Conservative John-Paul Campion. Two up for Tories.

Turnout has tended to be up across the board, between 3-20%

Dabir posted:

No, no, more authoritarian than the Tories.
They possibly have precedent from the Blair years, when everyone in the Labour front bench was competing to be as awful as possible and the few voices of strong decent were from the other side of the house like David Davis. The Tories without the Lib Dems hamstringing them have put in a solid effort to be even worse though.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Other way, I think - since the Section 28 thing the Tories haven't really done much that you can say would be pitched to appeal specifically to religious conservatives. It's just not anywhere near as profitable politically here as it is there, whereas xenophobia is always a favourite, and they wouldn't want to risk losing two votes to UKIP/BNP to gain one from Labour.
Makes sense. Well, insofar as having to court the larger group of reactionaries in order to not lose to even worse parties makes sense.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 6, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm still hoping that we will all get to use the Nicola Murray chop images shortly

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

TinTower posted:

CAMRA are basically a drinking club for Lib Dems, so…

CAMRA are bad, they hate non-traditional English ales and don't want pubs to be anything but old men's drinking dens, Midlands CAMRA have repeatedly told pubs if they want higher rankings in their local guides they should offer less wine and cocktails, it is no surprise they are all Lib Dems as both are so awful.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Given how popular Corbyn was in polls, I'm suprised how average Labour did. Though it's clear why if you join up the dots, and you can see the hand of the CIA involved. Obama visits, then Corbyn mysteriously doesn't sweep the board? Given Corbyn's opposition to TPP and Agenda 21, it's obivous that the CIA wouldn't want him to meddle with western captialist (i.e. American) interests.

The CIA have a long history of secretly underminding and overthrowing leftist movements, it's the only explaination for why Corbyn's movement didn't sweep the board.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Is there a graph of how many council seats Labour has over the years? because after Milliband got over 800 I'm not sure how many more can reasonably be on offer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

StoneOfShame posted:

CAMRA are bad, they hate non-traditional English ales and don't want pubs to be anything but old men's drinking dens, Midlands CAMRA have repeatedly told pubs if they want higher rankings in their local guides they should offer less wine and cocktails, it is no surprise they are all Lib Dems as both are so awful.

My local CAMRA seems to be heavily Labour run, and has a ballin' selection of wines.

Suck it Libailures.

OldMemes posted:

Given how popular Corbyn was in polls, I'm suprised how average Labour did.

Local elections are more about local politicians. Hell, remember half the councils supported Not-Corbyn in the leadership contests.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

OldMemes posted:

Given how popular Corbyn was in polls, I'm suprised how average Labour did. Though it's clear why if you join up the dots, and you can see the hand of the CIA involved. Obama visits, then Corbyn mysteriously doesn't sweep the board? Given Corbyn's opposition to TPP and Agenda 21, it's obivous that the CIA wouldn't want him to meddle with western captialist (i.e. American) interests.

The CIA have a long history of secretly underminding and overthrowing leftist movements, it's the only explaination for why Corbyn's movement didn't sweep the board.

Hey, they undermined the Labour party before, why not do it again!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gary Younge is a fantastic columnist and he's wasted at the Graun. He's an always-read column for me.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Given the wide spread reports of men wearing black suits with American accents hassling voters outside stattions (a story completely ignored by the mainstream media), the CIA were probably invovled.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/728613572037726208

I'm imagining this like the Commons with the Lib Dem on one side being heckled by 95 Labour councillors on the other.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OldMemes posted:

Given the wide spread reports of men wearing black suits with American accents hassling voters outside stattions (a story completely ignored by the mainstream media), the CIA were probably invovled.

Uh huh

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

pointsofdata posted:

well yes if you ignore the places labour did badly then they did pretty well! I thought corbyn was meant to win back left wing Scotland from the nationalists

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-36227731

The BBC has a wonderful article up about Scotland. "Scottish Labour leaders may ask themselves whether Jeremy Corbyn's leadership was a factor in the Holyrood election result" it says under a big picture of Corbyn, and implies he might have been an issue in the opening few paragraphs.

Then it goes on to say that no, he had no adverse affect at all.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Then it goes on to say that no, he had no adverse affect at all.

Can you quote that bit from the article please? I must be having an episode as I can't see it anywhere.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

OldMemes posted:

Or maybe it's because very few supporters of any political party give a flying gently caress about local elections?
I dunno, your explanation is plausible too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Can you quote that bit from the article please? I must be having an episode as I can't see it anywhere.

Can it be the triumphal final episode?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

The next sentence after the Corbyn question doesn't say he had no effect at all but cuts to the main point of the article being that Labour did so badly in Scotland because the SNP are the independence party and the Tories are the unionists.

quote:

But arguments over their manifesto or personalities are to miss the point. This election was clearly about the constitution.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fans posted:

I'm glad the explanation satisfies even you.

Mods shouldn't be editing posts they disagree with imo

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Baron Corbyn posted:

The next sentence after the Corbyn question doesn't say he had no effect at all but cuts to the main point of the article being that Labour did so badly in Scotland because the SNP are the independence party and the Tories are the unionists.

Ah so the conclusion given by Jakiri that Corbyn had 'no adverse affect at all' is his own, rather than the BBC's.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Does anyone actually think that the ant-semitism thing is real? A key part of CIA run black ops is planting targets to spread misinformation. Corbyn is the only person in UK politics who can expose the truth behind TTP, Agenda 21, HAARP and the Gloabl banking Elite. Of course CIA imperialists would want to discredit him, with a wave of propogand, misinformation and fluroide inducing brain washing.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OldMemes posted:

Lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OldMemes posted:

Does anyone actually think that the ant-semitism thing is real?
It's very real my friend. Stay safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

This file is probably full of captialist CIA lies.

• Locked thread