Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014

RA Rx posted:

Oh, I thought it was 1 for 1... :(

That practically eliminates the Komodo.

Dragoon II can still hit with its ER PPC at 9, or at 10 if it moves one hex closer to put its medium pulses in range.

Bethany can still hit at 6 with her LBox and LRM, SRMs become near worthless at 12.

The Vandals certainly better shooting odds than the Peregrine. I'll probably wind up shooting it instead, thanks for the suggestion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

On closer inspection of the rules it seems to say your cluster shot is actually -3, so that's a 5 to hit, but the LRMs aren't AA weapons apparently, so LRMs/SRMs both at 8 and ERMLs at 10.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 6, 2016

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

sebmojo posted:

Feels like I should MASC up, charge straight north and get amongst it, but I'm also well protected if I stand still and ping with my lpl. OTOH I should be taking some fire because that's how I'm built.

Can I get some theory crafting on my best move?
The push will probably happen the turn after this one, so any move that sets you up for that is a good one.

One option is to jump to 1338 facing north. Next turn you would either be able to run straight north to 1332, or jump back towards the blob at 1736 if the push is delayed.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Okay, my orders are in, I'm jumping to 1641, facing 1741 so I can run on the hill next turn, while shooting my cLPL at the urbanmech (if it isn't dead) or the nearby infantry (if they're not dead).
Die, Clanner!

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 6, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ardlen posted:

The push will probably happen the turn after this one, so any move that sets you up for that is a good one.

One option is to jump to 1338 facing north. Next turn you would either be able to run straight north to 1332, or jump back towards the blob at 1736 if the push is delayed.

Thanks! Do I need to turn before I jump, or can I just jump in any direction and rotate in the air? Because killing those jump infantry in 1836 seems important to me right now.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

Thanks! Do I need to turn before I jump, or can I just jump in any direction and rotate in the air? Because killing those jump infantry in 1836 seems important to me right now.

You can turn in the air - you select the hex you're going to jump to, and declare the facing your robots' feet will have when it lands. So you can jump to any hex within a circular radius of your start point.

E: but bear in mind that jumping adds a +3 to your "to hit" rolls.

Walking adds +1, while running adds +2.
On the other hand, always go for the movement that makes you hardest to hit to the enemy, while making it easiest for you to hit them.

Jumping adds +1 to whatever your Movement Modifier is. So if you run 6 hexes, you add (I think) +2 to how difficult you are to be hit by enemies (this is good). If you jump those same 6 hexes, that becomes +3.

So the further you can jump, the better, as the enemy will have to fight an even higher difficulty shot, while you will only be adding +3 to your own ability to hit them.

On the flip side, you generate +1 heat for each hex you move while jumping (with a minimum of 3 heat generated, covering up to the first three hexes moved - if you jump 1 hex, 2 hexes, or 3 hexes, you generate 3 heat from jumping. If you move 4 hexes, it's now 4 heat. 5 is 5 heat, etc).

Running only adds 2 heat (walking only adds 1) so if you can generate a high movement rate (such as running 9 hexes in a line, causing the enemy to add 3 or 4 to their hit ratio?) by other means, which generate less heat, and let you hit enemies easier, then do that.

Okay, so that's a lot to go with, but it means that if you think several moves ahead, you can force the enemy to move where you want them to, while moving only as much as you need to to generate good defensive modifiers for yourself. Right now, however, we're the ones reacting, so to speak, so we need to change things up a little.

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 6, 2016

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Sure is easy to get aerospace THs wrong.

OK, I think I got it this time...

The only good shots on the map at 10 or below are (using optimal positions):

5 from the Copperhead's LBX10 --- 10 Damage Potential
7 from the Phoenix Hawk's cLPL --- 10 Damage Potential
8 from the Grasshopper's X-PLL --- 9 Damage Potential
9 from the Dragoon's rER PPC --- 15 Damage Potential
9 from the Dragoon's MPLs (5) --- 30 Damage Potential
9 from the Komodo's Light PPC (if directly beneath counts as rear arc) --- 10 Damage Potential
10 from the Flashman's LPL --- 9 Damage Potential
10 from the Copperhead's LRM-20, SRM-6s (2) and ERMLs (3) --- 59 Damage Potential
10 from the Flashman's R-ELL (2) --- 18 Damage Potential
10 from the Screamer's rERPPC --- 15 Damage Potential

Just a Battletech exercise. I was surprised to find that many possibilities, where I had initially expected it was mostly the ones close by.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 6, 2016

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wait, I've got an cLPL, not a PPC.
Doesn't that change my ability to shoot the flying things out of the air?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

mcjomar posted:

Wait, I've got an cLPL, not a PPC.
Doesn't that change my ability to shoot the flying things out of the air?

You have slightly less range but -2 to hit.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Ooops.

All pulse lasers get a cumulative -2 bonus to AA on top of the regular -2 I think.
Should put you at 5 TH.

Edit: You're flexible, and Bethany/Copperhead could probably use the help. PTN said no more planes would take off, so that's probably it unless there are some crazy pilots on patrol out there, the Snow Ravens being an aerospace clan I'd assume they'd love the challenge except they're one of the more reasonable factions.

That cPLL really transforms Jason's family heirloom, maybe he can get the Republic to upgrade the probe, ECM and sidearms as well, or rip out some of it for hardened armor to serve as a tough as nails scout sniper before the inevitable happens.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 6, 2016

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So in other words, I should also hunt any aeros that decide to turn up on the table?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

I am pretty sure pulse lasers do not count as flak weapons. The extra -2 to hit airborne targets that LBX autocannons get isn't an "AA weapon" bonus, it's a "flak bonus" and that's given to only a few weapons-LBX ACs, regular ACs firing Flak, and the Clan Hyper-Assault Gauss. So it's not -4, it's -2. If you have AA targeting, you get an additional to-hit bonus against aircraft, but I don't believe any of your current mechs have it.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Oh right, I was making assumptions off of the Dragoon II firing its pulse lasers last mission. The only thing I noticed was it had an ECM suite. How do you know if a mech has AA targeting?

Edit: Thanks.
List fixed.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 6, 2016

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

RA Rx posted:

Oh right, I was making assumptions off if Auxilia. How do you know if a mech has AA targeting?

It's a positive quirk which would be listed on their status display.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

RA Rx posted:

and pulse lasers a cumulative -4 (please correct if I'm mistaken)):

You're mistaken.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RA Rx posted:

Edit: You're flexible, and Bethany/Copperhead could probably use the help. PTN said no more planes would take off, so that's probably it unless there are some crazy pilots on patrol out there, the Snow Ravens being an aerospace clan I'd assume they'd love the challenge except they're one of the more reasonable factions.

That cPLL really transforms Jason's family heirloom, maybe he can get the Republic to upgrade the probe, ECM and sidearms as well, or rip out some of it for hardened armor to serve as a tough as nails scout sniper before the inevitable happens.

Well my orders are in and i'm jumping to 1641, facing 1741, while shooting the urbanmech with my LPL, so I can set up to move north east a bit more next turn.
Hopefully that should help support killing off some of the more terrible light mechs

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

So uhh, wrong game I suppose but...

waaaagh?

edit: What's the rules for movement on runways? What causes a piloting check?

Also, blown up planes=difficult terrain?

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 6, 2016

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Pladdicus posted:

So uhh, wrong game I suppose but...

waaaagh?

edit: What's the rules for movement on runways? What causes a piloting check?

Also, blown up planes=difficult terrain?

The concrete causes a piloting check if you run (Use running MP, so like anything over 8 or 10 for your speed demons), turn, and then move one or more hexes after turning.

So long as you move in a straight line, you're fine. If you run 13 hexes, turn, and then move one more, you're basically asking to do a huge powerslide right off the map.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gwaihir posted:

The concrete causes a piloting check if you run (Use running MP, so like anything over 8 or 10 for your speed demons), turn, and then move one or more hexes after turning.

So long as you move in a straight line, you're fine. If you run 13 hexes, turn, and then move one more, you're basically asking to do a huge powerslide right off the map.

And as a reminder, leaving the map counts as being mission killed unless otherwise specified, so it wouldn't count as "escaping", and you can't walk back on board. Which of course makes sense in this mission, given that we're well behind enemy lines.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

sebmojo posted:

Which jump infantry are you talking about? Heavy Jump Infantry 3 was eradicated last turn. The other three jump infantry are invisible, but two of them are probably around 1823, and the last one should be near 2311, both well out of range this turn. The rest of the infantry can only move 1.

Edit: I think I see - make sure to look at the Enemy Movement map for the turn when planning your movement:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Oh yeah, might want to set fire to the southern woods, it should hurt regular infantry.

Otherwise the space Marines can just ace in and out of it with +2 and +1 from the extra intervening wooded hex they can threaten with their melee attack.

Edit: oh right. A smoke round could also neutralize their offensive power for a bit. But the hurricane strengthening and some extra distance should make them mostly harmless anyway.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 6, 2016

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Orders in. Going loud!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You're in a hurricane, you're not going to be setting woods on fire.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Fire-canes are totally the sort of thing that Battletech would have though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If we were playing as the Death Commandos we could set the hurricane on fire. :colbert:

Maybe you need to war crime harder?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Fun fact, in the volcano mission, if the Death Commandos had blown up the geothermal release vents the(y wouldn't have captured the scientists now part of the Capellan Society) volcano would've erupted mid-battle.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fun fact, in the volcano mission, if the Death Commandos had blown up the geothermal release vents the(y wouldn't have captured the scientists now part of the Capellan Society) volcano would've erupted mid-battle.

That's the best thing about this LP, is the little stuff like that resulting in the super crazy Carlos Escapes Skynet-in-mech-form mission.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Gwaihir posted:

That's the best thing about this LP, is the little stuff like that resulting in the super crazy Carlos Escapes Skynet-in-mech-form mission.

Wait his mech didn't have an AI did it?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Artificer posted:

Wait his mech didn't have an AI did it?

The opposing force were all controlled by an AI in a drop shuttle.

PTN, when the unthinkable happens and this thread eventually comes to a close, is there some kind of documentation you're keeping for the overarching story where we will be able to see some of those paths not traveled?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

Totally worth not blowing up the volcano :D

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

We didn't need to. It was an option if we were losing, but it never came to that. :tipshat:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

jng2058 posted:

We didn't need to. It was an option if we were losing, but it never came to that. :tipshat:

I really wanted to do the po elbow drop on the annihilator as well so :colbert: No regrets.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

AtomikKrab posted:

I really wanted to do the po elbow drop on the annihilator as well so :colbert: No regrets.

I mean that was the greatest moment since Engine Joe's Justice Foot, so it was a great idea.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Orders due tonight - don't forget!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Grasshopper jumped to 1338, and shot at the urbie and one of the infantry.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I mean that was the greatest moment since Engine Joe's Justice Foot, so it was a great idea.

You're misremembering. Engine Joe's claim to fame was that he died. The Lancelot had the Justice Foot.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Casual reminder:

'Any' is not a valid target.

Edit: Well, that was certainly a shot. :psyduck:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 8, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Well, that was certainly a shot. :psyduck:

Are we talking Revolver Ocelot shot or Panicking XCOM Rookie shot?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
More the first than the second.

The panicking starts after Turn 5's movement phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
This LP is never better than in those moments before an update where PTN looks down on all the freebirths and mercenaries in their accumulated filth and whispers, "TAC."

• Locked thread