Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I saw Mad Max: Road Warrior when I was 5 years old. It gave me nightmares. I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
My mom had an arrangement with the video rental place across the street where I'd take whatever movies I wanted and she'd pay for them when she got home. I saw every Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th movie, both Alien movies, Phantasm II, Predator, and Cronenberg's The Fly by the time I was ten. The only thing that really scared me as a kid was Michael Jackson's Thriller video.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

8 year olds want to be mentally scarred by badass poo poo.

The folks who are levying unironic think-of-the-children condemnations of Batman v Superman are kinda operating on very narrow and calculated definitions of who children are and what they themselves think of. I seen someone slamming it for being so child-unfriendly and then in the very next breath slamming it for catering to "13-year-old boys", who, if you'll recall, are children

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

The folks who are levying unironic think-of-the-children condemnations of Batman v Superman are kinda operating on very narrow and calculated definitions of who children are and what they themselves think of. I seen someone slamming it for being so child-unfriendly and then in the very next breath slamming it for catering to "13-year-old boys", who, if you'll recall, are children

Think of the manchildren.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

You shouldn't show BVS to children because then they might grow up to have dogshit taste in movies. Exposing that to a developing mind is like watering a houseplant with Mountain Dew

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
How very "punk".

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

How very "punk".

Punks water their houseplants with Milwaukee's Best iirc

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's got what plants crave.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

8 year olds want to be mentally scarred by badass poo poo.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You shouldn't show BVS to children because then they might grow up to have dogshit taste in movies. Exposing that to a developing mind is like watering a houseplant with Mountain Dew

So you saw BvS?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yaws posted:

So you saw BvS?

Why would I do that?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

DrVenkman posted:

I think the whole DC verse is still pretty controlled. Snyder's comments on the The Flash prove that, with his comments that Grant Gustin is a really good Flash but it doesn't suit their 'vision' of the universe so they've clearly got an idea of what they want everyone to do.

If Snyder was a better director maybe he could like, I dunno, DIRECT Grant Gustin to be the Flash they wanted. That is what a director is supposed to do. Is their 'vision" for him to have a stupid little wispy beard? For him to be vaguely ethnic? Hmmm, let's have ol' Ezra weigh in:

Ezra Miller posted:

"Well, [first] it’s going to be a movie. I’d like for it to be an exploration of a human being, a multi-dimensional human being, to speak." Miller began, before pausing and adding, "Wow, I just made such a pun, without meaning to!" (in reference to The Flash's history of parallel universe storylines in the comics). "I'd like the character to have many dimensions," he continued, "But really, I’d like him to have the usual dimensions we know and love, and then some extra ones that are part of the amazing consideration of this superhero. I hope to realize him as a person, and I think what’s most exciting for me in superhero mythologies is when we feel the humanity of someone who is heroic — or the heroism of someone who is a flawed, deeply human person."

Man, gently caress off.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 6, 2016

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Why would I do that?

If you're going to call a movie dogshit you should see it first.

Then again, BvS is dogshit so...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's really good.

Maybe go out and see more movies.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If Snyder was a better director maybe he could like, I dunno, DIRECT Grant Gustin to be the Flash they wanted. That is what a director is supposed to do. Is their 'vision" for him to have a stupid little wispy beard? For him to be vaguely ethnic? Hmmm, let's have ol' Ezra weigh in:

Man, gently caress off.

What the gently caress makes Grant GUstin so special as the flash except that he's already on some mediocre tv show whining about how he's not fast enough to have a dad who loves him?

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Man, gently caress off.

Chill, dude. No one is insulting the Flash TV show or Gustin.

Holy poo poo, "vaguely ethnic". :psyduck: Oh no, a Jewish guy is playing Flash! What bullshit!

Equeen fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 6, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yaws posted:

If you're going to call a movie dogshit you should see it first.

Then again, BvS is dogshit so...

Sounds like it all came out in the wash then

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Grant Gustin is so perfect it made Kevin Smith cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfQ4ZhBokNo

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I assume it's not Synder's unwillingness to direct an actor and more likely that the CW version of the Flash wouldn't work in the movie verse or Snyder realizes how mediocre the show and its mythology is.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mediocre is the Mantra of the new DC Universe of films though.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

It's really good.

Sorry bro, BvS stinks to high heaven. I'd put it in the bottom rung of comic book movies along with Green Lantern and Catwoman.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MacheteZombie posted:

or Snyder realizes how mediocre the show and its mythology is.

As opposed to Snyder's mythology? It's not just that they didn't pick Grant Gustin, it's that they picked Ezra Miller instead. And then made a really really dumb looking costume that looks nothing like any of Flash's costumes with the exception of it sorta looks like the one from Injustice.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 6, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

I assume it's not Synder's unwillingness to direct an actor and more likely that the CW version of the Flash wouldn't work in the movie verse or Snyder realizes how mediocre the show and its mythology is.

Just because Grant Gustin has his own show doesn't mean they'd have to use any of the other characters from it for Justice League. The point is that Gustin himself is an excellent Barry Allen, and even looks the part. Snyder must disagree with that on some level other than just a general distaste for the show.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

As opposed to Snyder's mythology?

I quite enjoyed MoS and BvS.

Basebf555 posted:

Just because Grant Gustin has his own show doesn't mean they'd have to use any of the other characters from it for Justice League. The point is that Gustin himself is an excellent Barry Allen, and even looks the part. Snyder must disagree with that on some level other than just a general distaste for the show.

I like Grant Gustin, and also wish he had been picked for movie Flash. It doesn't bother me that WB chose someone else and I don't think using a different actor than the popular tv show actor is some sign of a hack fraud.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Basebf555 posted:

Ezra is also looking pretty good for the part

https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/728596119958118400

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

It's really good.

Why? Netflix is a thing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

2 actors playing the Flash means more Flash over the next few years. How do people not get this? If you have Grant play the Flash in the movies you either need to cut the TV series down or write Barry into a parallel dimension while Wally takes over.

I like Grant a lot but I vote for the plan that gets us more live action Flash and doesn't accidentally tank ratings for the show and get it cancelled because the star of the show needed to take a 6 episode hiatus while he filmed Justice League Part 1.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

He better shave that beard tho! Not My Barry Allen!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Vintersorg posted:

Grant Gustin is so perfect it made Kevin Smith cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfQ4ZhBokNo

In fairness, Kevin Smith cries at the drop of a hat.

I've only watched season 1 of Flash, but Gustin is great in it. The show is very cheeky but had a great emotional payoff. I'm fine with DCEU and DCTV going for different tones. Ezra Miller's comments are pretty dumb, but I'll forgive everything if we get a Flash of Two Worlds moment someday.

As for BvS, everything that I loved about it outweighed my problems with pacing and some of the character beats. Kirby outta nowhere, Batman's reveal, and the bug's eye view of Superman's fight with Zod were more than enough for me to like where they're going. Plus Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman look promising, but hey they're comic properties so tribalism is inevitable.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Plus let's say you like the television Flash, and new Justice League sucks. Wouldn't you be thankful that they were kept separate?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MeatwadIsGod posted:

LI'll forgive everything if we get a Flash of Two Worlds moment someday.

They already had one on the show, though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

He better shave that beard tho! Not My Barry Allen!

And quit looking "vaguely ethnic"!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

As for BvS, everything that I loved about it outweighed my problems with pacing and some of the character beats. Kirby outta nowhere, Batman's reveal, and the bug's eye view of Superman's fight with Zod were more than enough for me to like where they're going. Plus Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman look promising, but hey they're comic properties so tribalism is inevitable.

Why are his comments dumb? SSB didn't link the interview so I'm not sure what the exact question he's answering is, but Ezra sounds like he's taking the job seriously and whats to be a good Barry Allen.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

BREAKING: Actor Ezra Miller SLAMMED as "Vaguely Ethnic" by Fans of Popular CW Network Show "Flash"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Phylodox posted:

They already had one on the show, though.

And it was poo poo.

e:okay the visual was cool, but the story around the moment was awful.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Plus let's say you like the television Flash, and new Justice League sucks. Wouldn't you be thankful that they were kept separate?

Good point. Honestly most of my frustration stems from the fact I appreciate Grant Gustin's work in being the only live action Flash ever that doesn't suck, and I think it would be cool if it launched him a badass film career. I just don't like the idea that he can do a really good job and then still not be considered.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Good point. Honestly most of my frustration stems from the fact I appreciate Grant Gustin's work in being the only live action Flash ever that doesn't suck, and I think it would be cool if it launched him a badass film career. I just don't like the idea that he can do a really good job and then still not be considered.

I enjoy Gustin as Barry as well. If the show writers would quit being awful the show might get good again.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Good point. Honestly most of my frustration stems from the fact I appreciate Grant Gustin's work in being the only live action Flash ever that doesn't suck

Woahhhhhhhh what the gently caress?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The problem is that Gustin brings baggage. Is TV Barry in the movie? No? It's a different Barry? Why is it a different Barry? Where are Barry's friends? With a new actor, you're establishing right out of the gate that this isn't TV Barry.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Phylodox posted:

The problem is that Gustin brings baggage. Is TV Barry in the movie? No? It's a different Barry? Why is it a different Barry? Where are Barry's friends? With a new actor, you're establishing right out of the gate that this isn't TV Barry.

Where's Cisco?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

gently caress

yes

• Locked thread