Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Belzac posted:

Please don't main a weapon and stance. Use everything at your disposal. Difference stances and weapons are good against different types. I see way too many people pick high stance and then forget that stances exist and then get destroyed by multiple opponents or fast enemies.

I have been doing fine. It's mainly just to get intimate with each individual stance and having the extra skill points put into that stance/weapon (and the extra damage) first. I'll save switching and mastery for the full game.

Obviously try a little bit of everything when you're learning but I have run through these stages like 3 times now and need some sort of gimmick to make it interesting, especially since I've not even tried the axe yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Belzac posted:

Please don't main a weapon and stance. Use everything at your disposal. Difference stances and weapons are good against different types. I see way too many people pick high stance and then forget that stances exist and then get destroyed by multiple opponents or fast enemies.

Since weapons have no weight, there's not really any reason not to equip a katana and a spear, or a katana and an axe, yeah.

And since you can swap stances mid-pulse, there's not much reason not to put samurai skill points in all styles and practice moving between them.

Opening with katana mid or low stance and then pulse-transitioning into high stance, and then swapping to axe or spear based on your next enemy, is the way to go for sure :thumbsup:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Belzac posted:

I feel like you sort of have to main a weapon for stat scaling reasons, unless you aren't leveling any type of magic or Spirit. Stances, though, are definitely situational.

Maybe I'm just thinking about the stats in too much of a Souls way, I dunno. But I'm definitely less effective with swords or axes on my spear and onmyo magic guy because I have lowish Strength and base Heart.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Well yes, if you've built your character to do exactly one thing, it's very hard to get out of it. Even still building a character entirely for spears I found the axes very helpful on the statues for instance. It's just a common trap I see a ton of people fall into when they start. They learn that if they go High they can kill outlaws in a few hits which seems really good because the less hits it takes the less chance you have to get killed back. Then they start making High stance do things it's not suppose to do by playing super cautiously and doing like hit and run tactics on fast enemies. Then they get to a boss and get destroyed unless they ultra double down on hit and run.

It's possible to make your one stance one weapon strat work. You're just missing out on the actual fun of the game. Beating a boss is a pre-requisite for progression. Beating a boss while styling all over them and never getting hit is where the endorphins lie.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I mean, I'd never do a one weapon, one stance thing. You're supposed to switch stances on the fly and I'm happy to play that game. I guess what I mean is that, so long as there's a stat system like there is in the demo, you're at best going to have a main and secondary weapon type just to maximize scaling (assuming there aren't, like, outlier katanas that scale with Strength better than Heart or something), or maybe two main weapon types but you ignore onmyo magic, ninjutsu, and Spirit. Just going off the demo, of course.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Belzac posted:

It's possible to make your one stance one weapon strat work. You're just missing out on the actual fun of the game. Beating a boss is a pre-requisite for progression. Beating a boss while styling all over them and never getting hit is where the endorphins lie.

I'm already having fun.

None of it matters in a day, so gently caress it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, that's my attitude, once the full thing is out I really want to get to grips with everything, but I don't want to get too sucked in to a demo that's going away tomorrow.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What gets unlocked for finishing the demo and is it worth it?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

What gets unlocked for finishing the demo and is it worth it?

It's just some thing on PSN called Mark of the Conqueror and that's all anybody really knows.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
huh i had 3 cups this morning (havent beaten the first boss yet so i havent helped anyone) and now i have 6 for some reason. but no one's joining to help me :(

looks like they just pulled the plug, at 4:20. what an odd time to end it

Relin fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 5, 2016

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Relin posted:

huh i had 3 cups this morning (havent beaten the first boss yet so i havent helped anyone) and now i have 6 for some reason. but no one's joining to help me :(

If you fight gravestones they usually drop cups.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I guess I was wrong, after trying again a few times its still up. I only beat the boss because having a co-op partner lags him all to hell, which I hope is not in the final game. Where is the mark of the conqueror saved on the PS4, I don't see it in storage?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
It's not. It's in your list of purchased things in psn.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Relin posted:

The dankest amrita.

justdan
Mar 31, 2010
OK, I give up. You have bested me, Nioh Alpha Demo. After banging my head against it for hours I realize I'm never going to beat that loving boss on the ship.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

shark spirit sure clowns nue. is it just me or does he call down lightning on both players but only the host sees the graphic? or maybe it's on the host only? either way an odd implementation

they really need to redo the summoning system. in souls it's great because you put your sign down and your intent is pretty clear when the sign is in front of the boss. in this i got tired of people, who are somehow worse at games than me, summoning in areas that aren't the boss

Relin fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 6, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Relin posted:

shark spirit sure clowns nue. is it just me or does he call down lightning on both players but only the host sees the graphic? or maybe it's on the host only? either way an odd implementation

they really need to redo the summoning system. in souls it's great because you put your sign down and your intent is pretty clear when the sign is in front of the boss. in this i got tired of people, who are somehow worse at games than me, summoning in areas that aren't the boss

Bloodborne made the same mistake with the bells; being able to summon people from wherever seems convenient but really its not because like you said, throwing down signs lets you actually kinda show your intent and lets people preview who they're about to summon. You can look at a dude's gear and be like "hm, this guy seems cool"

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
On top of that, you can only initiate matchmaking via the level select screen. Once you're actually in a level, y'know and playing the game, you can't co-op anymore save for being the one summoning someone in.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hope they let you queue for matchmaking from shrines in the full game. Just put the option right next to the Summon a Visitor option.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Arthil posted:

On top of that, you can only initiate matchmaking via the level select screen. Once you're actually in a level, y'know and playing the game, you can't co-op anymore save for being the one summoning someone in.

Yeah we mentioned this a few pages back and its really really dumb. I don't completely hate the whole "missions" structure itself (different than souls but not the end of the world, and honestly pretty much how DeS worked) but segregating co-op based on which mission you're currently in and locking you out of being a phantom until you finish is straight stupid.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm fine with a mission structure, especially if it lets them make cool, intricate levels in the full game without having to worry about some sort of open-world aspect.

I'm really hyped for this, much more than I was before the demo. That's exactly what a demo is supposed to do and so rarely does.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I watched a friend play the demo. I am very interested in this game, it looks like an excellent spin on the souls formula, way better than Lords of the Fallen. I like the mechanics and how they changed up the way the game plays to make it unique. I like the stance mechanic and how you can get different move combos on your attacks. The game looks really cool and I will definitely be getting it if it delivers like it has so far.
I do agree that not having character creation does hurt it a little bit, but I can get over that.

Also, I can finally say I got a PS4 for more than just Bloodborne.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah we mentioned this a few pages back and its really really dumb. I don't completely hate the whole "missions" structure itself (different than souls but not the end of the world, and honestly pretty much how DeS worked) but segregating co-op based on which mission you're currently in and locking you out of being a phantom until you finish is straight stupid.

You don't have to complete the mission first. You can co-op for a mission you haven't beat yet as long as you've unlocked it. You can also return to the map screen at any time by using the Branches item. The only issue right now is the level resets but since the levels are small it's not too bad.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

Changes in reaction to the demo:

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/733241686977978370

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1somso0

I think it's lame they removed degradation entirely. Interesting that Asia and Japan dislike the difficulty, while Americans are UP TO THE CHALLENGE :smug:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Degradation sucks and I am glad it's gone.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Relin posted:

I think it's lame they removed degradation entirely. Interesting that Asia and Japan dislike the difficulty, while Americans are UP TO THE CHALLENGE :smug:

Yeah its an interesting result. So long as they don't go and water down the difficulty because of the Japanese response :colbert: It was good as-is.

Hakkesshu posted:

Agreed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Seems weird devs actually taking player feedback into account before they even release the full game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I hope they don't turn down the difficulty too much--it was definitely too punishing before you start getting good armor and level up a bit, but it started to feel pretty good once you get rolling--but I'm real glad durability's going away, especially on armor.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Seems weird devs actually taking player feedback into account before they even release the full game.

its shocking to see open betas actually used as betas

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Glad they're adding more item shortcuts since that was the only thing that really bothered me.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Hakkesshu posted:

It's weird when games have mechanics that do almost nothing. Obviously it was just a demo/beta but degradation in Nioh was just kinda...there. It was something that could have an impact I guess but never actually did.

It was a thing in Dark Souls 2 for sure and an annoyance in previous entries. It sure as hell didn't need to be there in Bloodborne (save for the Tonitrus) and I've literally never repaired a single thing in Dark Souls 3.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

its shocking to see open betas actually used as betas

I guess everything has been nudged up one, beta=demo, alpha=beta

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The only thing about degradation is if they get rid of it, its going to make the whole Diablo style loot system feel kinda funny.

I mean I guess not, Diablo weapons don't really break (other than a small repair tax) in the same way, so I guess it'll work out.

The upside is if there's no degradation I can feel way better about just throwing away anything that's not my best armor or weapon, rather than in the demo where I was trucking around two dozen of each item type just in case I needed it as a fallback. I'm a bit of a packrat like that in RPGs.

"Hmm, this katana is just like my main katana but does 20 less damage... but what if I want it later?!?"

If my current best katana can be used indefinitely its a lot easier to just say 'ain't gonna use it, toss it'.

Sakurazuka posted:

If you think that's weird, For Honor is sending me feedback surveys for a game that I haven't even played or seen played yet :v:

That's some weird poo poo.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah here's hoping the drop rate is way less than in the alpha. Inventory management isn't fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They did say they adjusted the drop rates, so that might be the case.

I don't really mind inventory management, so long as it's easier to ditch unwanted items and get something for them. Having a little confirmation prompt for every item in the alpha was a pain, and so was getting random items back. I'd have preferred getting gold back and then just being able to use that gold to buy Elixirs and stuff instead of sacrificing items and hoping I got Elixirs or Whetstones back. (Well, we won't need Whetstones anymore, but still.)

I actually don't think they needed to ditch weapon durability entirely. Armor durability needed to go for sure, but weapon durability could've just been tweaked a bit because the apparent lack of weapon upgrading means that there isn't a ton of sunk cost into each weapon. If one katana starts to break, you can switch to another without having to pump upgrade materials into it, and you're getting relatively frequent drops anyway. That could've worked out just fine. But I'd prefer no durability system to a punishing durability system, so I'm not complaining that it's gone.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Those changes all sound pretty great, but I really hope they didn't make it too much easier. It sounds like there are a lot of difficulty related changes, from reducing exhaustion to nerfing super-armor to nerfing damage. Hopefully they maintain a good balance.

Hopefully they give us another demo to test out the changes!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oh wow, I didn't expect that much of an overhaul. Almost hope there's a difficulty select at the beginning now. Though I'm sure they won't break much now (especially with durability gone!).

I don't think I ever had that much of a problem with durability but then I watched slowbeef play through it and he would block and then counter, which seemed to deplete your durability MUCH faster than my dodge and hit approach.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I doubt there'll be an actual difficulty select, but probably a smoother difficulty curve.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

I doubt there'll be an actual difficulty select, but probably a smoother difficulty curve.

Yeah the demo levels were rated for level 5 and 25 characters so they couldnt be back to back in the real game id think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

New E3 trailer, another demo coming in August.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdSzvrwp4fk