Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What's with depicting Cap as a jerk this week? Al Ewing does it in New Avengers too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

I expected the bat-poon to be a little bigger than that
He was in the pool!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Gaz-L posted:

What's with depicting Cap as a jerk this week? Al Ewing does it in New Avengers too.

The Civil War movie is here, and it's bringing back some sore memories probably.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I've been enjoying The Violent and I don't think it's supposed to be a funny comic, but...

...that expression cracked me up hard (The Violent #4).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Numero6 posted:

I can only find that was in a World's Finest comic from 1966.

I love these old comics where the character basically goes,"Oh no, a thing is happening right now and I don't have time to physically react to the thing that is currently happening. When I thought the following, or rather the bulk of it, I lived alone, in the woods, a mile from any neighbor, in a house which I had built myself, on the shore of Walden Pond, in Concord, Massachusetts, and earned my living by the labor of my hands only. I lived there two years and two months. At present I am a sojourner in civilized life again...."

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Are you talking me you don't have the entire text of Walden run through your head every time you're in danger?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Are you talking me you don't have the entire text of Walden run through your head every time you're in danger?

Sometimes I have the entire text of Walden run through my torso when I'm in danger.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

I love these old comics where the character basically goes,"Oh no, a thing is happening right now and I don't have time to physically react to the thing that is currently happening. When I thought the following, or rather the bulk of it, I lived alone, in the woods, a mile from any neighbor, in a house which I had built myself, on the shore of Walden Pond, in Concord, Massachusetts, and earned my living by the labor of my hands only. I lived there two years and two months. At present I am a sojourner in civilized life again...."

My favourite is the panel where Clark Kent stubs his toe and his internal narration is something like, "Oh, no! I stubbed my toe on the desk! I'd better pretend to be hurt, or Lois will realise that I am actually SUPERMAN!"

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

My favourite is the panel where Clark Kent stubs his toe and his internal narration is something like, "Oh, no! I stubbed my toe on the desk! I'd better pretend to be hurt, or Lois will realise that I am actually SUPERMAN!"

I remember a recentish panel where someone (the Joker?) was about to hit him with a giant mallet, and Clark's thought process was "Hmm, big mallet. I'm not supposed to survive that, right? No way."

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm reading about ElectroSuperman and this is pretty great.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I have discovered my new favorite DC character:

Make her the star of a new version of Brave and Bold, where she gets a new partner every issue, ones that don't play by the rules and are turning this city into a warzone!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Howard the Duck 7. A few good jokes at Cap and Spider Man's expense throughout the issue.

Am I the only one noticing Howard is totally scoping out Daredevil's rear end?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

redbackground posted:

Make her the star of a new version of Brave and Bold, where she gets a new partner every issue, ones that don't play by the rules and are turning this city into a warzone!

Lady cop don't need no gun.

Just her billy club and parking ticket notebook.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lady Cop was in an episode of Arrow this season.

She was dirty and murdered drug dealers to steal their drugs.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Dammit, between this and Neal McDonough, now I have to make it the rest of the way through the lovely parts of arrow.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Holy poo poo.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Why does it say No. 4, July if that is the 1st Issue Special?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

'1st Issue Special' is actually the name of the book.

It's 1st Issue Special #4.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

redbackground posted:

Hmm, what if instead her partner was a slick, fast talking con man type to contrast wither by-the book go get 'em attitude. I'm thinking of like a... Michael Cera or Wil Arnet type.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Hmm, what if instead her partner was a slick, fast talking con man type to contrast wither by-the book go get 'em attitude. I'm thinking of like a... Michael Cera or Wil Arnet type.

Eh, too cliche. They need to be funny animals or something.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

'1st Issue Special' is actually the name of the book.

It's 1st Issue Special #4.

Sure, why the gently caress not.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Travis343 posted:

Sure, why the gently caress not.

The thought process was "First issues sell better than other comics -- so let's have a series that's nothing but first issues!"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

The thought process was "First issues sell better than other comics -- so let's have a series that's nothing but first issues!"
It now goes by The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

flosofl posted:

That jerk just snatched her whuppin' chain right out of her hand. :mad:

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Travis343 posted:

Why does it say No. 4, July if that is the 1st Issue Special?

As others have said, 1st Issue Special was the name of the book. The premise was that each issue was basically a pilot for a possible new series or concept. This is pretty much what the concept of Showcase had been in the '50s and '60s. 1st Issue Special ran for 13 issues and featured stories and concepts (not all of which were brand new) by notable creators like Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Joe Simon, Mike Grell, and others.

Kirby introduced a number of new characters: Atlas the Great, the new Manhunter, and the Dingbats of Danger Street. Joe Simon introduced the Green Team and the Outsiders. Lady Cop was by Robert Kanigher and John Rosenberger. Issue 12 was the first appearance of Mikaal Tomas, the blue Starman. Most of the rest of the issues featured new stories about existing characters, like Metamorpho, the Creeper, Doctor Fate, and the New Gods.

The only character who got an ongoing series following their debut was Mike Grell's Warlord.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Aphrodite posted:

...was she actually called "Lady Cop" or was it just a Cop who just happened to be a lady?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She was named Liza Warner, same as the character Lady Cop.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

flosofl posted:

Squizzle posted:

That jerk just snatched her whuppin' chain right out of her hand. :mad:

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, too cliche. They need to be funny animals or something.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I'm taking all this together, and I come out with 'She's a female version of Axel from Streets of Rage'.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Found on tumblr, no idea the issue.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bloodly posted:

I'm taking all this together, and I come out with 'She's a female version of Axel from Streets of Rage'.

I've never played Streets of Rage, but I've read the comic strip adaptation Mark Millar wrote in the UK Sonic the Hedgehog comic 20 years ago (it exists - the comic was aimed at the Beano/Dandy audience but the Streets of Rage story ended with the bad guy getting kicked into a vat of molten iron like the Terminator), and the impression I get from that is that Axel's defining characteristic was getting the poo poo kicked out of him.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: New Animated Adventures #7
Donnie and April are hanging out when they encounter the Purple Dragons, Mikey and Raph are dressed like women so they can see a martial arts movie incognito, and Leo is on patrol when he runs into Karai. All three groups run into each other at the movie theater.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just cracked open Cinema Purgatorio #1 and the first thing you see is a lovely photo of Alan Moore with a pompadour.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

(World's Finest #207 apparently.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that is clearly a recolored panel from yaranaika

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The latest Achewood update if you haven't seen it:

Don't try to explain abortions to a five year old kid.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
hard hitting questions from this week's Vision

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Archyduke posted:

hard hitting questions from this week's Vision

Oh my God, Viv. You can't just ask someone why they're white!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Saoshyant posted:

The latest Achewood update if you haven't seen it:

Achewood updates?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Achewood updates?
Fairly consistently these days, even! Check back every Friday and there's usually a new strip, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
Abortions can't wear SHOES? What sort of malarkey is that?