Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

DemeaninDemon posted:

I found an image of LePage from back in the 90's:

Even Lord Zedd wouldn't do half the poo poo LePage does. :catbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Empress Theonora posted:

Well, I mean, we as a country survived half the country getting so mad about a Presidential election they seceded and fought the bloodiest war in American history to continue to exercise their right to own other human beings, so, you know
If America has its nukes taken away and is forced to rebuild its entire military using mid-nineteenth century technology, I'll feel a little safer.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

RuanGacho posted:

I'm starting to No True bureaucrat in my head every time I hear of this kind of thing.
You had one job you idiots! Treat everyone with dispassionate equality and then you choose to gently caress that up with giving a puppy to a Sith Lord.

If you run a nonprofit shelter and the governor walks in and wants a puppy he's getting a puppy.

Most boards would eat you alive if you refused.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Now now, they're just purposefully ruining their vehicles and breathing in diesel soot out of spite because we're too smug and condescending towards them. Really when you sit and think about it it's our fault for being elitist and asfkgktjjghkfkddddfgg

Just like all people in delapidated parts of the city are all singel mothers with cadilacs. :rolleyes:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/728637876745965569

Oh Lindsey

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Rahm is great and the residents of Chicago arent thankful enough for him

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's like a choir filled to the brim of tone deaf motherfuckers

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

I know he's a huge war hawk, but he's always seemed like a fun guy to get hammered with.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Obviously it's time for disgruntled old GOPers to feel the bern.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Riosan posted:

I know he's a huge war hawk, but he's always seemed like a fun guy to get hammered with.

He's so delightfully catty.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Joementum posted:

Paul LePage continues to be comically awful, now using his influence to steal puppies.

Some what related, back when NYC was electing their new mayor, the GOP shitheel said to run over kittens to keep the trains running on time.

You know who else kept the trains on time?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Kilroy posted:

If America has its nukes taken away and is forced to rebuild its entire military using mid-nineteenth century technology, I'll feel a little safer.

Eeeeh. A drawdown of size and the return of overseas bases to their native countries would be good, but Russia and China are far too big of assholes to be left unchecked. We're assholes who piss around in the middle east. They annex neighbors when their poll numbers slump.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

After these Republicans getting so explicit in what they think is wrong with Trump I would really be interested to hear them rationalize out loud how Clinton is just as bad. I have my own gripes with her but I'd still vote for her over Trump in every scenario.

I just wonder if they have any idea about her that interact with reality at this point or if it's just the hatred they've cultivated over the last 30 years.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Talmonis posted:

Eeeeh. A drawdown of size and the return of overseas bases to their native countries would be good, but Russia and China are far too big of assholes to be left unchecked. We're assholes who piss around in the middle east. They annex neighbors when their poll numbers slump.

We're also assholes who mess around with permanent bases in Asia (Okinawa, ROK) and who mess around in Eastern Europe by pushing NATO expansion closer and closer to Russia's borders.

I'm no fan of Putin or the CCP but pretending that they aren't acting according to rational geopolitics just obscures reality.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

GalacticAcid posted:

We're also assholes who mess around with permanent bases in Asia (Okinawa, ROK) and who mess around in Eastern Europe by pushing NATO expansion closer and closer to Russia's borders.

I'm no fan of Putin or the CCP but pretending that they aren't acting according to rational geopolitics just obscures reality.

Clearly the rational response to bordering nations considering joining NATO is to invade the ones that haven't.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6ZL3ofreuQo

I just want to keep this clip on loop all day every day up to and including Election Day (and probably afterwards too, for good measure).

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

RuanGacho posted:

After these Republicans getting so explicit in what they think is wrong with Trump I would really be interested to hear them rationalize out loud how Clinton is just as bad. I have my own gripes with her but I'd still vote for her over Trump in every scenario.

I just wonder if they have any idea about her that interact with reality at this point or if it's just the hatred they've cultivated over the last 30 years.

Their biggest attack avenue right now is that she's an untrustworthy criminal (because of the emails). And they generally attack the Democrat party (for not being the party of Lincoln). And "Things are a mess and it's a mess under the Democrats! It's time for a change!"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

The Larch posted:

Clearly the rational response to bordering nations considering joining NATO is to invade the ones that haven't.

Yes, that is true.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

GalacticAcid posted:

Yes, that is true.

Only if your goal is to convince them to join NATO.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

Their biggest attack avenue right now is that she's an untrustworthy criminal (because of the emails). And they generally attack the Democrat party (for not being the party of Lincoln). And "Things are a mess and it's a mess under the Democrats! It's time for a change!"

Is there a good rundown on what the email thing actually was, versus what republicans wished it was? I'm anticipating having this fight with my dad in about a week... :smith:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Gaukler posted:

Is there a good rundown on what the email thing actually was, versus what republicans wished it was? I'm anticipating having this fight with my dad in about a week... :smith:

Short answer: many government orgs have the right to classify things, nothing so far released has been Valerie Plame.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gaukler posted:

The emails are incredibly boring and consist of Hillary asking staffers how the DVR works so she can make sure to catch Homeland.

I'm not even joking.

E: VVV I am down with this fellow Star Wars issue voter.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 6, 2016

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SquadronROE posted:

And "Things are a mess and it's a mess under the Democrats! It's time for a change!"

Things aren't a mess though? Last time the executive branch flipped alignment, the economy was in freefall. Now that's getting better and Star Wars is good again.

Star Wars! Call me a single issue voter, but that's important, dammit.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
You know what would be funny? The hilarious Barbara Streisand effect situation where agents are exposed because people start really delving into the emails.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Gaukler posted:

Essentially gross negligence with security and lying about what the contents were. If it were anyone else, they'd be in prison for quite some time.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

The Larch posted:

Maybe.

Keith Gessen's reporting has shaped my thinking on Ukraine and Russia, here's three articles I found enlightening. Don't have time to summarize as I'm at work, but:

What if Putin Were Nice? at Politico.

Western Journalists in Ukraine in N+1 (issue 24 had an excellent series of articles from all sides of the Ukrainian conflict).

Why Not Kill Them All? in the London Review of Books.

Putin should not have invaded Ukraine obviously but it fit well within the dominant schema of Russian geopolitical thinking that has animated their foreign relations at least since Stolypin.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Eric "John Paul Stephens was a goat-loving child molester" Erickson: "Donald Trump is too mean and not representative of me!"

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

GalacticAcid posted:

I addressed the bases. We should give them back to their home nations, and make them pay for their own goddamn defense. NATO and Putin at this point are a neverending cycle. Eastern Europe doesn't want to be ground under Russian boots again, and we're not keen on letting Putin start a world war to distract from his poo poo governance, so they join NATO. Putin invades random neighbors rambling about Russian ethnicity being both supreme and simultaneously under oppression, and blames NATO...causing more nations to panic and join.

Sure it's rational from Putin's point of view. Strongmen need to look strong, or they lose. If they have faults and flaws at home, only war can Make Russia Great Again.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Things aren't a mess though? Last time the executive branch flipped alignment, the economy was in freefall. Now that's getting better and Star Wars is good again.

Good news! Hillary liked the first one and maybe the new one.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

amuayse posted:

Essentially gross negligence with security and lying about what the contents were. If it were anyone else, they'd be in prison for quite some time.

Nah

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Since Trump is now the republican nominee I hope all of you start doing cardio in preparation for the coming zombie apocalypse.

Also, stock up on twinkies.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Erick Erickson from Red State

Republicans should apologize to Bill Clinton for impeachment

quote:

Republicans owe Bill Clinton an apology for impeaching him over lies and affairs while now embracing a pathological liar and womanizer. That apology will not be forthcoming. In fact, for years Republicans have accused the Democrats of gutter politics and shamelessness. Now the Republicans themselves have lost their sense of shame.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Domino Theory 2: Putin Buggaloo

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Hillary says A New Hope is her favorite Star Wars movie. Anyone who says anything other than Empire can't be trusted.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Larch posted:

Not really. NATO doesn't accept countries that are engaged in frozen conflicts as new members, so by invading the Ukraine Putin has managed to prevent them from joining for the foreseeable future.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

amuayse posted:

It's a little awkward that any reasonable cyber-security program would have banned the use of a private email server, especially if there was even a small chance of classified material being sent to it. It's not Clinton's fault that the State Dept didn't take security seriously, and there have been a lot of good analyses concluding that the chance of an indictment is 0, here's one for example:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...a7b7_story.html

It's pretty clear the Republicans are on a politically-motivated witch hunt, so whatever.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Hillary says A New Hope is her favorite Star Wars movie. Anyone who says anything other than Empire can't be trusted.

eh a new hope is valid. it's a nice self contained story and if you don't give a poo poo about the star wars universe or lore then ANH is your best bet. empire is the best film from a film standpoint but it's reliant on giving a crap about star wars

if she said return though i wouldn't trust her

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Well it's kinda covered under 18 U.S. Code § 793
Subsection F
Whoever, being entrusted with or having lawful possession or control of any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, note, or information, relating to the national defense, (1) through gross negligence permits the same to be removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of his trust, or to be lost, stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, or (2) having knowledge that the same has been illegally removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of its trust, or lost, or stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, and fails to make prompt report of such loss, theft, abstraction, or destruction to his superior officer—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm a Mon Mothma rebranding will synergize well with the Rogue One marketing blitz..

• Locked thread