Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I have 2 lines at 10G/mo each with a 20G data pool per line on T-Mobile and it's a hair under $120/mo. Even streaming youtube on the bus every day I never ran out, and speedtest.net gives me double or triple the speed of Cricket depending on location. If you're going to pay top dollar, get top dollar speeds.

Conversely, Cricket gets infinity times the speed of T-Mobile when I visit my folks out in the sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Blue Train posted:

afaict it's unlimited but speed is capped at 8mpbs

drat, this + the Hotspots that they (currently) don't stop is actually a better deal than any isp in my lovely rural area then.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

drat, this + the Hotspots that they (currently) don't stop is actually a better deal than any isp in my lovely rural area then.

Can you use it as a hotspot on an iPhone? Guessing you need a jailbreak which is not available on new iPhones.

Also the $10/month mobile hotspot isn't available on Unlimited: https://www.cricketwireless.com/shop/features.html . They should allow it on the Unlimited plan but limit the amount of data you can use for tethering.

tonic fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 19, 2016

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker
Is there a recommended cheap but good phone for Cricket these days?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Crossbar posted:

Is there a recommended cheap but good phone for Cricket these days?

Moto E, G, or X. Nexus 5 or 6 (used you can find under $200 easily), iPhone 5S.

Any AT&T phone will work as long as it's not blacklisted.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Eh, I have the galaxy prime whatever they offer. It's a pretty decent phone. 4g LTE and has a fair amount of space on it (before you add an sd card).

I think when I started it was like 125$? but now I think it's a free phone you can choose.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The 2nd Gen Moto X is $200 and is a steal compared to the Moto G. https://www.motorola.com/us/motomaker?pid=FLEXR2

Since it's unlocked and pre-6.0, it may be able to tether on Cricket too.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
My 2nd gen definitely tethered. I hate that I had to root my 3rd gen to get that back.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

MrKatharsis posted:

The 2nd Gen Moto X is $200 and is a steal compared to the Moto G. https://www.motorola.com/us/motomaker?pid=FLEXR2

Since it's unlocked and pre-6.0, it may be able to tether on Cricket too.

My Nexus 6p wouldn't be allowed to tether on cricket? Any reason why?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

My Nexus 6p wouldn't be allowed to tether on cricket? Any reason why?

Because Cricket requires you pay to use that feature unless you're using an older version of Android that is rooted and/or using Xposed.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Lblitzer posted:

Because Cricket requires you pay to use that feature unless you're using an older version of Android that is rooted and/or using Xposed.

Ah nuts.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

They lock out tethering based on phone model. My Nexus 5 could tether on Marshmallow, but my 6p can't. (bluetooth tethering still works)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

They lock out tethering based on phone model. My Nexus 5 could tether on Marshmallow, but my 6p can't. (bluetooth tethering still works)

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Athenry posted:

Oh that's not too bad, can they detect if you're tethering via bluetooth though?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mister Fister posted:

Oh that's not too bad, can they detect if you're tethering via bluetooth though?

Just get a Korean phone, root it and run WiFi tether router.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Been using harbor mobile, got this today. Thanks for the 2 day warning on a Friday cocksuckers

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

whatever7 posted:

Just get a Korean phone, root it and run WiFi tether router.

I can't tell if you're joking or not

Blue Train posted:

Been using harbor mobile, got this today. Thanks for the 2 day warning on a Friday cocksuckers

And this is why i'm on cricket.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

Dunno. I don't use it often, and haven't been.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mister Fister posted:

And this is why i'm on cricket.

Me too starting today

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Blue Train posted:

Me too starting today

Find some friends/family, do a 5 person plan, it's super cheap, i pay $20 a month for 2.5 gigs a month!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
They also just came out with unlimited plan. $50 if you have 5 lines!

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Blue Train posted:

That's a shame. Wonder what happened? I was just about to switch over to them, thank God I didn't.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

clockworx posted:

That's a shame. Wonder what happened? I was just about to switch over to them, thank God I didn't.

Perhaps AT&T yanked their business line reseller license because they found out that most of their subscribers weren't actually businesses.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mister Fister posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or not

I was giving you valuable information. Why I recommend Samsung or LG phone? because they are easy to root generally.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

whatever7 posted:

I was giving you valuable information. Why I recommend Samsung or LG phone? because they are easy to root generally.

Oh ok, sorry, i read that as getting the Korean variants of those phones for some reason. Still a bit of hoops to jump through though.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

nimper posted:

Perhaps AT&T yanked their business line reseller license because they found out that most of their subscribers weren't actually businesses.

Been expecting this to happen with smartel/bluegreen mobile since the day I signed up.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I got a nice text from cricket saying they're updating the privacy policy so they can share all of your info with ATT. Incoming U-Verse junkmail.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Boogalo posted:

I got a nice text from cricket saying they're updating the privacy policy so they can share all of your info with ATT. Incoming U-Verse junkmail.

Yeah I got that too :(

Luckily there ain't room for ISPs beside CenturyLink and Cox in my city, even if CenturyLink is an assbackwards company who only sells fiber to the unreconstructed subhuman savages in the hinterlands and can't find it within themselves to bring speeds above like 1.5mbit to anywhere with running water.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

you can opt out of at least some of it here http://www.cricketwireless.com/privacy#_YOUR_CHOICES_&

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Is there anyone with a Cricket referral code to share? I figure I might as well get/give $25 if I'm looking to switch anyway.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

The Leck posted:

Is there anyone with a Cricket referral code to share? I figure I might as well get/give $25 if I'm looking to switch anyway.

https://refer.cricketwireless.com/4fG596K

Here you go, enjoy and thanks!

mtr
May 15, 2008
Is cricket down for everyone? I'm having issues in Cincinnati and it looks fairly widespread based on http://downdetector.com/status/cricket-wireless

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm in La and it's working fine.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mtr posted:

Is cricket down for everyone? I'm having issues in Cincinnati and it looks fairly widespread based on http://downdetector.com/status/cricket-wireless

Down for me and their website is offline in a bad way:

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!

mtr posted:

Down in Houston

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004
No service in Akron Ohio either, someone posted nationwide outage earlier on fb

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Weird. Mine's down now. Data seems to be working but that's about it.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Down in western north carolina. Glad to know I'm not the only person with problems.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
No service in Detroit area, strange is that the wifes is working though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004

TraderStav posted:

No service in Detroit area, strange is that the wifes is working though.

Donnt restart the phone, restarting it seems to make it take a poo poo and go to emergency calls only.