Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Obviously, yes. However well we did this is bad for Corbyn, didn't you know?

Overall, for my money, I'm a little disappointed, but I don't feel like it's remotely even as bad as the worst critics are making out.

Scotland is probably the worst bit :(
UKMT May 2016: Scotland is probably the worst bit

:scotland:

e: There are 42 Ancient Egyptian laws of physical and moral law, order, and truth. There are also 42 laws of cricket. These are probably not related.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Yes, we are poo poo.

We've been hiding it pretty well though, I think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not sure what anyone could really do about ScotLab given that I don't think UKLab has very much authority over them? And even if they did I'm not sure given current SNP support that annexing the party would really make them more electable. I think Kez is going to have to sort that one out herself though gently caress know how.

John Trickett seems happy about it though:

quote:

Dear OwlFancier,

As Labour's elections co-ordinator I wanted to send you a message to update you about last night's elections.

It's clear we've made real progress since the 2015 General Election, increasing Labour's vote share, holding onto key councils, winning the most councillors on the night and two outstanding by-election results.

We have performed better than was predicted. The BBC national vote share shows Labour has beaten the Tories on the overall share of the vote.

Labour has fought a strong campaign, working hard for every vote, standing up for working people who have been let down by a Tory Party that has shown that they can't be trusted.

There is a long way to go but it's a strong first step on the road to forming a Government in 2020. Jeremy's message is beginning to hit home.

We are now awaiting further results — including for London Mayor and for the Police and Crime Commissioners.

Labour has not won a London mayoral election for 12 years. The Tories have thrown everything at it and run a deeply nasty and divisive campaign. Every Labour member in every part of the country is now willing Sadiq Khan on as we approach the final lap.

Thank you for everything you do for the Labour Party.

Best,

Jon Trickett
Labour's Elections Co-ordinator and
Shadow Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://twitter.com/HenryJFoy/status/728541616114417664

:laugh:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Labour Not Labour got 0.2% of the votes in NI while the Tories got 0.4%

This is bad for Corbyn

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Over here in Bristol, we're still waiting for the results. 44.87% turnout which is pretty crazy high for local elections. Last time it was 27.92. The fact we have a mayoral election probably boosts the numbers. Currently it's looking like it will either be current mayor George Ferguson of Bristol First (Not as white supremicist as it sounds, just a fancy way of being an independent) and Marvin Rees of Labour. Rees just lost out last time but I think he's going to get it this time. I voted for him anyway.

After living in the place that elected Andrea Leadsom, it's nice to vote knowing no conservative has a chance of being elected. On the council ballot, it lists all the candidates addresses and they all came from my ward except the two conservatives who lived off on the outskirts. Never got any leaflets from them either since I guess they realise it's a waste of money.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
It's a pity the Lib Dems didn't do better in the London Mayoral election, I thought their transport policy was better than Khan's of freezing fares for four years.

(It's me, I'm the other lib dem voter in the thread)

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I wanted Lib Dems to win just so we could have had "Pigeon becomes London Mayor"

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Milotic posted:

It's a pity the Lib Dems didn't do better in the London Mayoral election, I thought their transport policy was better than Khan's of freezing fares for four years.

(It's me, I'm the other lib dem voter in the thread)

Sadiq is almost certainly going to take transport ideas from Caroline and Sian's manifestos. The one hour bus ticket, for example.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

The Government aren't going to force schools to become academies. This is good.

not all schools. but still forcing some

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Mister Adequate posted:

More or less. Done well enough to stop an apparent coup attempt that was in the works, at least, and the results aren't amazing but certainly not a disaster either. Got London for Sadiq, looks like, so that's nice as well.

Nah, they backed out of the coup attempt two days ago when polling revealed they were being loving idiots to even think about challenging the leader who is overwhelmingly supported among the membership.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

TinTower posted:

Sadiq is almost certainly going to take transport ideas from Caroline and Sian's manifestos. The one hour bus ticket, for example.

Yeah, I had a quick gander at the Greens' and there's some novel ideas there, but some that wouldn't work. But I wanted my first preference to 'count' a bit more, plus I disagree with many of the Green's science policies which would lead to billions starving or in the dark if enacted globally.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Corbyn mania reminds me of Cleggmania.
seems to have lasted longer though.
for better or worse

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Oberleutnant posted:

I think we shouldn't abandon any part of our sceptered isle to the tories if we can help it.
I'm sure Peterborough has many charming aspects.

The Cathedral is very nice, have wandered around the place itself and its grounds many times.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Milotic posted:

Yeah, I had a quick gander at the Greens' and there's some novel ideas there, but some that wouldn't work. But I wanted my first preference to 'count' a bit more, plus I disagree with many of the Green's science policies which would lead to billions starving or in the dark if enacted globally.

mayor of london doesn't have a global remit, or much of anything to do with science tho

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I can't believe Neil Hamilton is back in politics. Ugh. I mean, sure, practically every minister since then has been just as corrupt but in terms of accepting directorships and consultation gigs. I don't understand why the Welsh UKIP inflicted him on themselves.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Cerv posted:

mayor of london doesn't have a global remit, or much of anything to do with science tho

Fair point. The mayor does have a global reach though, and global city mayors tend to crib ideas from one another.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Britain First ran a candidate for London Mayor lmao

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Dead Goon posted:

The Cathedral is very nice, have wandered around the place itself and its grounds many times.

I just looked it up and it is a very beautiful cathedral.

Cabinet posted:

Britain First ran a candidate for London Mayor lmao
Yep, BNP too (thought that's less surprising). Both lost their £10,000 deposits which is very heartening.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Milotic posted:

I can't believe Neil Hamilton is back in politics. Ugh. I mean, sure, practically every minister since then has been just as corrupt but in terms of accepting directorships and consultation gigs. I don't understand why the Welsh UKIP inflicted him on themselves.

Carpet bomb Tatton, tbh.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Also re: Britain First: they were squinnying on social media over the last few weeks about how they were going to get embarrassed and begging for additional funding for more leaflets and door-knocking. I believe their fascist friends managed to cobble together something in the region of £15,000 towards the end, which has all gone to waste. :)

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

Also re: Britain First: they were squinnying on social media over the last few weeks about how they were going to get embarrassed and begging for additional funding for more leaflets and door-knocking. I believe their fascist friends managed to cobble together something in the region of £15,000 towards the end, which has all gone to waste. :)

Haha, they must be so mad a Muslim won.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

I think we shouldn't abandon any part of our sceptered isle to the tories if we can help it.
I'm sure Peterborough has many charming aspects.

Wellll.... I guess the cathedral does look nice.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

UrbicaMortis posted:

If you can stomach it their facebook page has an extremely salty and openly islamophobic video up crying about how our grandparents didn't fight and die in WW2 for London to have a musselman mayor.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Oberleutnant posted:

our grandparents didn't fight and die in WW2 for London to have a musselman mayor.
Probably didn't tbf.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

UrbicaMortis posted:

Deepflow
Aug 28, 2004

:smug:
Just thought Id say that comparing to 2012 is really dumb. As Labour did so well then then that would mean that it held seats that were "naturally" another parties and would be expexted to lose some of them this time. If Labour had made as many gains again it would have been extremely anomalous. The fact that the tories lost seats and didnt gain them back is actually really good (bad) for Corbyn.

Dont think ive seen tht view put across and maybe im wrong for reasons that Pissflaps thinks? But thought Id mention it.

Ok back to lurking.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

This got missed amongst the shite:

quote:

We nominated Jeremy Corbyn for the leadership. Now we regret it, by Jo Cox and Neil Coyle

It’s tempting for Labour to breathe a sigh of relief after Thursday’s results and look forward to celebrating Sadiq Khan’s victory against the Tories’ squalid campaign in London. But we can’t pretend it’s been anything other than a desperately disappointing night. We owe it to everybody in our party to be honest about where we stand.

“It could have been much worse,” is no cause for comfort. It could and should have been much, much better.

The Tories deserved a kicking last night. With chaos and discord in our hospitals and schools, an unprecedented housing crisis and fatcats lining their pockets while life gets tougher for everybody else, it’s an outrage for David Cameron to appear on TV looking like the cat who got the cream, knowing his party is on track to win again in 2020.

The hard truth is that Labour was humiliated in Scotland and slipped back in England and Wales. No party has ever lost ground at a time like this and gone on to win a general election. Labour is in the doldrums and we have to ask ourselves why. Why, day after day during the campaign, we failed to get a hearing. Why the voters aren’t getting the alternative vision of a fairer, stronger, more just Britain that we should be offering.

Of course it would be wrong to view these results simply through the prism of Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership. But nor can we pretend that the leadership isn’t an issue.

When the voters tell us on the doorsteps that they can’t picture our leader in No 10 we have to listen. When our candidates in London and Wales ask the leader to stay away, we have a problem. When the revival we were promised in Scotland with Corbyn’s “new” politics proves to be a mirage, we have to ask what it has actually achieved.

Corbyn needs to show he’s ready to lead from the front
We come at this question as MPs elected for the first time in 2015. We have no interest in refighting battles from the past or reopening old wounds. We are focused on one thing and one thing only – getting Labour back on a path to winning again. Because elections matter. People’s lives depend on the outcome.

We both nominated Corbyn for leader last year. We have never had cause to doubt his commitment to society’s most disadvantaged and to Labour’s values – a commitment we all share. But we have come to regret that decision.

We helped put Corbyn on the ballot because we wanted a genuine debate within the Labour party. We didn’t expect to be debating things far from the priorities of most voters: unilateral nuclear disarmament, the Falkland Islands, the monarchy and all the rest. Important issues, perhaps, but not ones that swing elections. Why should we be surprised if people are turning their backs on a party that appears to have stopped talking about the things that are relevant to them?

Weak leadership, poor judgment and a mistaken sense of priorities have created distraction after distraction and stopped us getting our message across.

We have kept our own counsel until now because we didn’t want to make life any more difficult for all those working so hard for Labour candidates on Thursday. And having decided to speak out, we’re doing it openly and on the record. We owe it to the party to reflect what so many good colleagues have been telling us for a long time.

Up and down the country, Labour folk – no matter whom they might have supported last year – are crying out for leadership and a clear, bold strategy that takes us from where we are now to where we need to be, so we can beat the Tories and start undoing the damage they are inflicting on our society.

We saw what happened under Margaret Thatcher and John Major when we were powerless to stop them. Today David Cameron, George Osborne and Boris Johnson are even more determined to allow inequality, unfairness and injustice to prevail while our public services go to the wall. Every time we flounder we just embolden them further.

We can get back to winning across the whole country because we are a courageous, principled and ambitious party with the ideas to match. But without an equally determined and focused leadership we will continue to go backwards, offering the Tories the prospect of power through 2020, 2025 and beyond. That prospect should strike a chill in every Labour member’s heart. Some say we need to be more patient. What we cannot, must not do is sit back and hope for the best.

The priority now is the EU referendum campaign. Corbyn needs to show he’s ready to lead from the front. He and those around him must come out of their bunker, stop blaming everybody else, and show the discipline and determination to drive our message home. These elections were a terrible missed opportunity. We cannot afford any more.

Perhaps the reason why people think Labour isn't talking about "swing issues" is because people like you in the PLP keep bringing up the unimportant poo poo and won't stop making an issue about it for days on end?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
"We wanted to win a genuine debate. When we lost it we decided to gently caress with our democratically elected leader in a fit of pique by constantly making him debate stuff that doesn't matter."

no_one
Mar 17, 2004
i'm a lying jerk
Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

4 more forces might start investigations

This is bad for Corbyn?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
oh my loving god I just saw my sister "likes" the britain first facebook :cripes:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oberleutnant posted:

oh my loving god I just saw my sister "likes" the britain first facebook :cripes:

Sure she's not a Britian First fan?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

:sever:

Although I once dated an indian girl who liked a bunch of facebook BNP posts because she thought they were satire, so maybe it's a similar situation.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Oberleutnant posted:

I think you know what must be done comrade.

(Did she do it after sharing one of their stupid memes or is she actually a supporter?)

Edit: maybe it's actually Britian Furst?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Another thought. Why are we accepting the narrative that lab should be beating 2012 results because the tories are in a mess when the reason 2012 was so good is because the tories are in a mess doesnt that cancel out?

Edit: saw i was beaten to the thought earlier this page. Next time don't start and finish a post either side of tea

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 6, 2016

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

When is the deselection purge going to happen.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Oberleutnant posted:

I'd be stunned if any of that money was spent on anything election related and wasn't just stuffed into Paul and Jeyda's pockets

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

It pisses me off when people like that talk about the damage the tories are doing to the country when if they got into power they would just implement the exact same policies but look sad when they do it.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

UrbicaMortis posted:

Although I once dated an indian girl who liked a bunch of facebook BNP posts because she thought they were satire, so maybe it's a similar situation.

Nope. She says "they've got a point".
Looks like it's time to have The Talk. See y'all later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The amount of butt hurt on the Britain First Facebook page is hilarious right now.

https://imgur.com/a/VbBrI

• Locked thread