Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

BLM had a disruptive transit app.
I understand these words alone but I can make no sense of this. Am I missing a joke about Cliven Bundy?
Thanks for the clarification.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
BLM=Black Lives Matter.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
So Governor Brown just signed into law raising the smoking age to 21 from 18, and puts restrictions on ecigs in public places.

Of all the things in this state that need fixing...and they have to pass more busybody laws? So someone who's 18 and can legally buy cigarettes is poo poo out of luck and has to have an older friend buy them, so now you've made two more people into criminals. Great job, Jerry :thumbsup:

I don't smoke, I think it's gross and a waste of money but it's other people's business what they want to do with their health and cash.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I started smoking and drinking when I was 15 ffs. What point is raising the age limit when people will still continue to break the loving law?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
They're being marketed to young people and children as a workaround to cigarette laws. Seems like a public health concern worth addressing.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Minarchist posted:

So Governor Brown just signed into law raising the smoking age to 21 from 18, and puts restrictions on ecigs in public places.

Of all the things in this state that need fixing...and they have to pass more busybody laws? So someone who's 18 and can legally buy cigarettes is poo poo out of luck and has to have an older friend buy them, so now you've made two more people into criminals. Great job, Jerry :thumbsup:

I don't smoke, I think it's gross and a waste of money but it's other people's business what they want to do with their health and cash.

I'd agree with you if I could walk one loving block without having to smell second hand smoke.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Might as well not pass any laws ever, then

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, "Why are they wasting time on X when they should be Y?" has always been a pretty lame argument.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Minarchist posted:

A limited number of studies have been done on the topic to draw a firm conclusion, but raising or enacting a minimum age requirement does appear to be correlated with a reduction in the experimental use of and casual access to tobacco. Strengthening existing laws seems to be as, if not more, effective.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

A limited number of studies have been done on the topic to draw a firm conclusion, but raising or enacting a minimum age requirement does appear to be correlated with a reduction in the experimental use of and casual access to tobacco. Strengthening existing laws seems to be as, if not more, effective.
Raising taxes on cigarettes is the most effective of all, but is regressive (impacts the poor most) and creates a smuggling problem. And somebody needs to regulate e-cigs fast, because they're like any other over-the-counter drug and should be tested for quality and content.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Minarchist posted:

Holy poo poo if you buy cigs for a kid you're literally the worst scum of the earth. Children can't effectively make the kind of long term decisionmaking that nicotine addiction is. It's one of the most addictive drugs and children will do almost anything to act cool with an older "friend" who's pushing unhealthy choices.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Raising taxes on cigarettes is the most effective of all, but is regressive (impacts the poor most) and creates a smuggling problem. And somebody needs to regulate e-cigs fast, because they're like any other over-the-counter drug and should be tested for quality and content.

Speaking of regulating...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

Holy poo poo if you buy cigs for a kid you're literally the worst scum of the earth. Children can't effectively make the kind of long term decisionmaking that nicotine addiction is. It's one of the most addictive drugs and children will do almost anything to act cool with an older "friend" who's pushing unhealthy choices.

You are guaranteed to be the coolest person they know though.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

AngryBooch posted:

I'd agree with you if I could walk one loving block without having to smell second hand smoke.

Whatever kind of weed the people in my neighborhood buy smells so rank it literally makes me wake up in the middle of the night, triggering flight or fight responses. The horrible recurring stench has been so traumatizing I'd literally hug a person for smoking something as fragrant as a crummy cigarette.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Essentially goes into effect in three years.

quote:

But federal health officials countered that the industry will have ample time to respond to the rules. Companies with products on the market now, including vape shops that mix their own liquids, will have two years to submit an application to the F.D.A. for approval of a product. It can stay on the market for another year while the agency reviews the application.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Good. gently caress cigarettes and gently caress smoking. I've watched enough people die because they had the "freedom" to get physiologically addicted to a poison.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
If you vape you're probably fat and unattractive or gay and somewhat attractive or just very unattractive

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, lots of backlash to youth trends.

Edit: I think the average age of posters is going up

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Grognan posted:

This isn't the time to practice fellatio for when Skynet takes over

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I started smoking and drinking when I was 15 ffs. What point is raising the age limit when people will still continue to break the loving law?

I also started smoking at 15 and I never had any problems buying cigarettes underage. Maybe it was a different attitude being the early 90s or maybe there just wasnt the aggressive enforcement, but if it can stop some marginal portion of people from starting and becoming addicted then I'm all for it.

*furiously chews nicorette*

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I started breaking <law> when I was <age>. What is the point of <law> if I can get away with breaking it?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Grognan posted:

Most people on SA are mid 30's or older and it shows

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Teflon Don posted:

Most people on SA are mid 30's or older and it shows

It had it's time but yeah SA is basically full of people that haven't actually left since they found it in the early 2000s. Also life imprisonment for anyone who smokes/vapes outside.

Seriously though gently caress smoking. Freedom or whatever bullshit, I and the rest of California don't want to breathe that poo poo whatsoever.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i swear, on UCI's campus (which is no-smoking, mind you), the vast majority of smokers are fu er dai

back around president's day the library's smoke alarm went off because a lit cigarette burned a few leaves on the ground nearby

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Another company moves its headquarters from California to Texas: http://gov.texas.gov/news/press-release/22274

Mind you, I don't care, beyond it being another thing for Texans to be insufferable over.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Bizarro Watt posted:

Another company moves its headquarters from California to Texas: http://gov.texas.gov/news/press-release/22274

Mind you, I don't care, beyond it being another thing for Texans to be insufferable over.

quote:

Will employ over 100 people, including newly hired team members in Texas
Wow, a whole hundred people! I think Google hires that many in California like every week.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Ahahahaha, the company in question is the dynamic, high-tech economic powerhouse that is the managing franchisee of...all those Jamba Juice outlets.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Jamba Juice def needs a 25k sq ft HQ along with Cowboys stadium sized parking lots for 100 people. I'm sure the CEO can now afford that Pebble Beach home he deserves by moving the company out of Commiefornia and then himself back (Just like the Waste Mgt guy).

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
"A Texas Enterprise Fund grant of $800,000 has been extended to Jamba Inc., Gov. Greg Abbott's office reported Thursday."

I'm sure free money has nothing to do with it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's like the salary of one executive, it's really not that much money, even for a company with only 100 employees. They likely spent more than that just on the cost of moving office equipment from CA to TX.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Rescue America! Rescue America!! Rescue America!!! Californian! Let us together rescue America from turning into a third world country. Enough is enough of American deep suffering. People in Washington has collapsed this country. Therefore, electing Dr. Akinyemi Agbede, as your next United States senator representing the golden state of California 2016 is the answer in order for our country to be reclaimed back.
I'm in. I'm putting all my chips on Dr. Akinyemi Olabode Agbede (right click add to dictionary x3) and he's going to save us all.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

That's like the salary of one executive, it's really not that much money, even for a company with only 100 employees. They likely spent more than that just on the cost of moving office equipment from CA to TX.

Those moving expenses are a tax write off, so it's win-win.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I feel like the moving businesses to Texas thing is a race to the bottom. At what point will it actually bite Texas in the rear end when they need to start taking in heavy federal money for their lack of taxes. I think I asked this before, but they seem to be okay at the moment because of oil and gas?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I feel like the moving businesses to Texas thing is a race to the bottom. At what point will it actually bite Texas in the rear end when they need to start taking in heavy federal money for their lack of taxes. I think I asked this before, but they seem to be okay at the moment because of oil and gas?

Oil, gas, and I believe they have a halfway decent tech-sector driven by aeronautics.

They're not as tax-free as they claim though. They have a sales tax that rivals California's and they have some of the highest property taxes in the nation, which I imagine helps local governments plug a lot of budget holes that a lack of an income tax might produce.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Litany Unheard posted:

Oil, gas, and I believe they have a halfway decent tech-sector driven by aeronautics.

They're not as tax-free as they claim though. They have a sales tax that rivals California's and they have some of the highest property taxes in the nation, which I imagine helps local governments plug a lot of budget holes that a lack of an income tax might produce.

here's this article, which even predates the oil crash

quote:

Texas has sales and property taxes that make its overall burden of taxation on low-wage families much heavier than the national average, while the state also taxes the middle class at rates as high or higher than in California. For instance, non-elderly Californians with family income in the middle 20 percent of the income distribution pay combined state and local taxes amounting to 8.2 percent of their income, according to the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy; by contrast, their counterparts in Texas pay 8.6 percent.

And unlike in California, middle-class families in Texas don’t get the advantage of having rich people share equally in the cost of providing government services. The top 1 percent in Texas have an effective tax rate of just 3.2 percent. That’s roughly two-fifths the rate that’s borne by the middle class, and just a quarter the rate paid by all those low-wage “takers” at the bottom 20 percent of the family income distribution. This Robin-Hood-in-reverse system gives Texas the fifth-most-regressive tax structure in the nation.

Middle- and lower-income Texans in effect make up for the taxes the rich don’t pay in Texas by making do with fewer government services, such as by accepting a K-12 public school system that ranks behind forty-one other states, including Alabama, in spending per student.

Moving a business to Texas also turns out to have tax consequences that are inconsistent with the conservative narrative of the Texas Miracle. Yes, some businesses manage to strike lucrative tax breaks in Texas. As part of an industrial policy that dares not speak its name, the state government, for example, maintains the Texas Enterprise Fund (known to some as a slush fund and to others as a “deal-closing” fund), which the governor uses to lure favored businesses with special subsidies and incentives.

But most Texas businesses, especially small ones, don’t get such treatment. Instead, they face total effective tax rates that are, by bottom-line measures, greater than those in even the People’s Republic of California. For example, according to a joint study by the accounting firm Ernst & Young and the Council on State Taxation, in fiscal year 2012 state and local business taxes in California came to 4.5 percent of private-sector gross state product. This compares with a 4.8 percent average for all fifty states—and a rate of 5.2 percent in Texas. With the exception of New York, every major state in the country, including New Jersey, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota, has a lower total effective business tax rate than Texas.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
*in valley girl voice* o m g let's get some jamba!!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
a unique benefit texas provides to employers is the ability to opt out of workers' comp insurance which is particularly terrible since they also lead the nation in worker fatalities

quote:

Critics, though, say the system is stacked against workers. “They throw these workers away like tissue paper. They’re nothing more than a used Kleenex,” said Joe Longley, an Austin employment lawyer who served as chief of the consumer protection division of the attorney general’s office in the 1970s. “We don’t provide for the workers. We provide for the businesses.”

A 1998 Texas Supreme Court ruling, The Texas Mexican Railway Co. v. Lawrence P. Bouchet, also cleared the way for employers that do not carry workers’ compensation to fire injured workers without fearing a state retaliatory firing lawsuit.

gently caress texas

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Question: How does Cali deal with homeless? I live in Hawaii, which is the homeless capital of the US and we don't really have any vagrancy laws.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

amuayse posted:

Question: How does Cali deal with homeless? I live in Hawaii, which is the homeless capital of the US and we don't really have any vagrancy laws.

We don't. There are usually laws like no sleeping in your car (dumb) or other park curfew stuff and some cities go further with anti homeless laws.

But really most California cities ship or subtlety encourage them over here to SF/Berkeley/Oakland so they don't have to deal with them, and we in turn mostly just rough em up and kick em around the city depending on if it's convenient to hide them for events but mostly let them go around doing whatever, or occasionally shoot them if they look minority.

Quite a few are beyond mentally ill and need help (probably involuntary) and others are heading that direction but not that far gone. A lot could be helped or prevented by a well funded+maintained public housing projects instead of alleys, but there's a not insignificant that are beyond that levels.

We do spend hundreds of millions on lovely results though!

Thanks Reagan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Remember that time the town of West, Texas physically blew up because of low regulations LMAO

Texas is a disgrace. I am SHOCKED that an innovative company like Jamba Juice LLC would stoop so low.