Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

FaustianQ posted:

Yeah, that's a C96 in his hand, are you going to ignore the gun on his hip or what?

...and the mace in his left hand!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

This seems worth reposting:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4i4399/dual_monitor_144hz_60hz_framerate_lock_is_a_bug/

quote:

Issue is showcased here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmaz4qAor_w
TLDV; If you run a game on 144hz monitor, and play video or moving graphic on 60hz monitor, 144hz locks at 60fps for the duration of the moving graphic.
Got this from Nvidia support
"After a lot of investigation internally, this was found not to be a bug, but a limitation when using a 144hz monitor and a 60hz monitor together and trying to watch video on the 60hz monitor.
If you are trying to watch a 60Hz streamed game or video on their 144Hz monitor, the PC tries to show the streamed image (144/60 = ) 2.4 times... before showing the next frame. The monitor is not going to show a fractional number of frames of the streamed content. The monitor is going to show the "frame 1" 2 times, then show the "frame 2" 3 times, then show "frame 3" 2 times, and keep repeating this pattern.
So it is expected to see some stutter and judder, if you lower the refresh to 120hz on the primary monitor this issue will go away.
Its not something we can fix. "
EDIT:
Some have reported that turning it down to 120hz solved it, this was not the case for me, my issue still persists.

If you watch a 60fps video on your second display your refresh on your gaming screen might get fuxxored

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
They called the 5th battlefield battlefield one

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Durinia posted:

And something with a scope on his left hip, although it doesn't look like a standard bolt action due to the (skeleton?) stock.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Durinia posted:

Isn't it supposed to be some sort of old-timey grenade, like those ones the Germans used?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bardeh posted:

Isn't it supposed to be some sort of old-timey grenade, like those ones the Germans used?

Looks like a trench mace

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

They called the 5th battlefield battlefield one

There's no way that's real.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

There's no way that's real.

Yep, Its also definitely WW1 due to the DLC

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Harlem Hellfighter Infantry Regiment - so definitely WWI then?

E: Is the Battlefield reveal tied in with AMD or Nvidia? Or neither?

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 6, 2016

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Don Lapre posted:

Looks like a trench mace

WW1 was hosed

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Yep, agreed, a much closer look reveals the SMG to be an MP18 with the drum magazine. It's going to be weird when a WW1 game is just people running around with aviation carbines, Browning Auto 5s and MP18s because lol any of that vs a bolt action.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kotaku posted about it.

http://kotaku.com/the-next-battlefi...dium=Socialflow

quote:

The PlayStation Store leaked the new Call of Duty, so it’s only fair that Xbox gets to leak the new Battlefield. This morning, that’s what happened, with the above image popping up on Xbox Live as part of an advertisement for the new reveal stream.

Meanwhile, Reddit’s got a retail leak confirming that the game’s called Battlefield 1.

The shot appears to confirm previous rumors that the next Battlefield will be set in an alternate version of World War I. There’s a big zeppelin and a WW1-era trench club, among other details. I think it’s safe to assume that there won’t be any magic, despite the main character looking straight out of Doctor Strange.

We’ll have more later this afternoon once EA does their official reveal, so stay tuned.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If they really want a WW1 Battlefield, I have to insist on them making it so you have to find someone else on your team to help you get your propeller started for your plane.

"C'MON, SOMEONE loving COME OVER HERE AND START MY PROP!"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If they really want a WW1 Battlefield, I have to insist on them making it so you have to find someone else on your team to help you get your propeller started for your plane.

"C'MON, SOMEONE loving COME OVER HERE AND START MY PROP!"

"I'm taxiing to victory!"

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Also, horse mounted calvalry.

This poo poo is like a page out of FC Primal...

FaustianQ posted:

Yep, agreed, a much closer look reveals the SMG to be an MP18 with the drum magazine. It's going to be weird when a WW1 game is just people running around with aviation carbines, Browning Auto 5s and MP18s because lol any of that vs a bolt action.

Indeed, but you know the standard issue bolt actions are going to be pinpoint accurate and 1 hit kills.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Custom pascal coming soon?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Didn't the leaked Pascal chip photos match MSIs current custom PCB design? Seems likely.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

FWIW some random guy on reddit says he heard from a little birdie that aftermarket cards with third party coolers will either launch with the reference cards or within a week :pervert:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

FWIW some random guy on reddit says he heard from a little birdie that aftermarket cards with third party coolers will either launch with the reference cards or within a week :pervert:

Thank gently caress. Blowers suuuuuuck.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Eh, when I was running sli titan x the blowers did a decent job.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I have a silverstone sg08 little babby itx case that i use blowers for since if it just blew all the hot air into the case it would basically be blowing itself! :eyepop:

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if we'll get pricing info tonight? EVGA selling a $599 980TI right now and that's pretty tempting (I am terminally dumb with money and graphics cards.)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Eh, when I was running sli titan x the blowers did a decent job.

Were they throttling or on a custom fan curve?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

FaintlyQuaint posted:

I wonder if we'll get pricing info tonight? EVGA selling a $599 980TI right now and that's pretty tempting (I am terminally dumb with money and graphics cards.)

Hopefully. I'm thinking the same too. I think the 980TI deals we're getting right now might be totally worth it depending on the 1080's specs and price, especially cause I'm not gonna go over 1080p for a while yet.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

FaintlyQuaint posted:

I'll sell you my MSI 980TI with 2+ years warranty mint with box for $499 :)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Hopefully. I'm thinking the same too. I think the 980TI deals we're getting right now might be totally worth it depending on the 1080's specs and price, especially cause I'm not gonna go over 1080p for a while yet.

Are you going to play anything DX12?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

xthetenth posted:

Are you going to play anything DX12?

Probably, but we don't know how much better the new cards will be on DX12 yet. They'll be better for sure but $200-300 better?

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Probably, but we don't know how much better the new cards will be on DX12 yet. They'll be better for sure but $200-300 better?

I think you guys are nuts thinking the 1080 will be $200-300 more than the 980Ti. Who the hell would buy that?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

xthetenth posted:

Thank gently caress. Blowers suuuuuuck.

Stupid question but if the general consensus is that blowers are crap, why are they always the reference design?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pctD posted:

I think you guys are nuts thinking the 1080 will be $200-300 more than the 980Ti. Who the hell would buy that?

For the right perf, this guy.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Froist posted:

Stupid question but if the general consensus is that blowers are crap, why are they always the reference design?

Because non-reference blow the hot air back into the case and that will only work if you know what you are doing and have air flow. They can't expect that so they use the lowest common denominator solution

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Unrelated question to the new cards: I just updated my drivers via the GFE app with "clean install" selected. Is this good enough or do I really need to download DDU and manually uninstall the old drivers?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You dont have to do any of that unless you are having a problem.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Unrelated question to the new cards: I just updated my drivers via the GFE app with "clean install" selected. Is this good enough or do I really need to download DDU and manually uninstall the old drivers?

If you don't run into weird performance issues or other problems then you are fine, it's just good practice to use DDU when switching brands and such because it helps ensure that you never run into those problems in the first place.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

pctD posted:

It happens every time with every brand and every card about to come out. The Titan X was predicted, here, to be $1600 minimum after first leaks, Fury X to be $1000+, etc etc. Thing is everybody could be right too because who knows what they'll do with the lineup. Say they drop the Titan and push the 1080ti to the $1000 pricepoint (it wouldn't be the most illogical thing), then a 1080 would be $200-$300 above the current 980ti. I dont think they will, but...

Anyway I'll start the bets, the 1070 will be $369.99 and the 1080 will be $519.99

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Well, the current guess of "looks a lot like NV made a GCN chip" is 290X going head to head with a 980 Ti better. So quite possibly, that's a hell of an upper bound.

Froist posted:

Because blowers get the air out of the case so first you can't seriously gently caress up and second you can treat the card as totally modular when setting up the fan. Plus who cares if it's hotter and louder if you're selling the same card? Do note that AMD's given up on the things, the 390X only comes with aftermarket coolers and the Fury X is running an AIO loop like god intended.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

390x does have a reference blower

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I don't think anyone reasonably believes a 1080 will launch with a MSRP of $800. If it's a paper/super-limited launch with a MSRP of $550ish (what the 980 launched at), I could easily see retail prices in the $700's until supply caught up. At the same time, the resale price of a used 980Ti is gonna drop pretty much no matter what happens with the 1080, simply because it's no longer the newest/most powerful card available, even if the 1080 turns out to be a bit of a turd and is only like 10% faster. So maybe you can start picking up a used 980Ti for $450, maybe less.

So now you're talking $450 for a gently used 980Ti with 2+ years warranty left, or $700 (more like $750 after tax) for a 1080, and yeah, now you've got a $300 price gap that's gonna be mighty hard to fill performance-wise for awhile.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Froist posted:

Also, you wouldn't want to go SLI or Crossfire with anything but blower coolers, unless you are going to go with watercooling. Like someone else said, the open shroud type coolers blow the air off of the cooler in any direction, while blowers shoot most of it out the back. This means that any open shroud type cooler that gets sandwiched close to any other cooler, is going to get real hot. So, a blower cooler should work in almost any configuration, but it may be louder than most people want. An open shroud (and usually multi-fan) cooler, will run cooler and quieter than a blower, so long as their adequate space/ventilation, so they are usually best for single card set ups. To further this, SLI/Crossfire is generally a poor value proposition, and why most goons in this thread will recommend the most expensive single card you can afford rather than a multi-card set up, so most people should get an open shroud cooler, provided there is adequate space and/or ventilation.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

xthetenth posted:

Because blowers get the air out of the case so first you can't seriously gently caress up
This also makes them much better, in general, for SFF cases, SLI/CF, and other scenarios where you have limited space to work with to the point that open-air after market coolers would have a hell of a time generating enough airflow to work correctly. Sure, for most people it'll never be an issue, but they're not completely useless.