Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
No, I haven't seen that, but I will certainly go and see if I can find it, thank you. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CobiWann posted:

You never realize just how WEIRD the show’s premise is until you try to actually explain it to someone.

It's about an undying alien that's a cross between Superman and Batman, who goes around playing universe cop.

Wheat Loaf posted:

No, I haven't seen that, but I will certainly go and see if I can find it, thank you. :)

Here you go. It's a laughably incorrect post.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 4, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

Here you go. It's a laughably incorrect post.

Well, I am sure I will enjoy it anyway. I am quite interested in that sort of thing.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm not sure I can say if a writer's room is objectively better than the current system, but I think it'll be great to get more input from the very large number of talented pro writers who are also die hard Who fans. Seems like a win win.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It could also help to foster new talent, which would be nice.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Burkion posted:

Oh please mean he's not going to do most of the writing pretty please

Perhaps Chibnall has become aware that his solo scripts have been not particularly well-received. Showrunning seems to have lead to less attention to his writing for Moffatt, so we can only hope that more writers looking over Chib's episodes means there will be no more 42s or Hungry Earths.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

echoplex is working on the new Black Mirror season

Oh gently caress that's amazing. I envy whoever gets you as their secret Santa this year.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
May the Fourth be with you!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Doctor Who episodes transmitted on 4/5:

Wheel in Space episode 2 (missing)
Planet of the Spiders episode 1
The Crimson Horror

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Astroman posted:

I'm not sure I can say if a writer's room is objectively better than the current system, but I think it'll be great to get more input from the very large number of talented pro writers who are also die hard Who fans. Seems like a win win.

It will be objectively better than Chibnall running the show/writing the majority of episodes, though, because he is a poo poo tier writer.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Barry Foster posted:

It will be objectively better than Chibnall running the show/writing the majority of episodes, though, because he is a poo poo tier writer.

That's not fair. He wrote that excellent poem about the show to Doctor Who Magazine back in the 80s.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

Fil5000 posted:

That's not fair. He wrote that excellent poem about the show to Doctor Who Magazine back in the 80s.

Lest we forget: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-01-29/back-in-1985-new-doctor-who-showrunner-chris-chibnall-wrote-this-theme-song-for-the-show

Amazingly, still only the second worst set of Doctor Who-related lyrics released that year.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

pinacotheca posted:

Lest we forget: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-01-29/back-in-1985-new-doctor-who-showrunner-chris-chibnall-wrote-this-theme-song-for-the-show

Amazingly, still only the second worst set of Doctor Who-related lyrics released that year.

Don't even tangentially besmirch Ian Levine or he'll be here to defend his works instantly.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fil5000 posted:

Don't even tangentially besmirch Ian Levine or he'll be here to defend his works instantly.

I hear if you say Ian Levine three times in a dark bathroom with only candles for light, you'll suddenly appear in a lovely fan film with actors who'd rather be anywhere else but there

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Burkion posted:

I hear if you say Ian Levine three times in a dark bathroom with only candles for light, you'll suddenly appear in a lovely fan film with actors who'd rather be anywhere else but there

What if you say Robert Holmes three times?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Burkion posted:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

Oh that won't do anything

He's already behind you

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

Terrance Dicks does it every year on his birthday and then breaks down crying when nothing happens :(

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

He actually summons Wobert Holmes, who is an out of work electrician from Dorset

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He actually summons Wobert Holmes, who is an out of work electrician from Dorset

He's started showing up in a creepy mask, but it's just not the same.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It was nice of Terrance to use his connections to let him play Drax in The Armageddon Factor.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The Doctor returns to his home plane of Gallifrey after he experiences a premonition that the President of the High Council of the Time Lords is to be assassinated.

Materializing within the Capitol, the Doctor manages to evade the guards and tries to stop the assassination. Things look bad when the President is gunned down – and it seems that the Doctor himself fired the shot.

Can the Doctor prove his innocence to Castellan Spandrell, or will he be sent to die an agonizing death? Will the Doctor have to journey into the Matrix, a biological computer network, and face his opponent's henchman to find out who is behind the assassination. And in the end can he save his planet from a deadly foe from his past?

Tom Baker is the Doctor in The Deadly Assassin..

X X X X X

Cast
Doctor Who - Tom Baker
The President - Llewellyn Rees
Chancellor Goth - Bernard Horsfall
Castellan Spandrell - George Pravda
Cardinal Borusa - Angus MacKay
The Master - Peter Pratt
Commentator Runcible - Hugh Walters
Co-Ordinator Engin - Erik Chitty
Commander Hilred - Derek Seaton
Gold Usher - Maurice Quick
Time Lords - John Dawson, Michael Bilton
Solis - Peter Mayock
Voice - Helen Blatch

Producer: Philip Hinchcliffe
Writer: Robert Holmes
Director: David Maloney
Original broadcast: 30 October – 20 November 1976

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e20tXWivQAY

X X X X X

quote:

Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of peace and ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history...

The Deadly Assassin is not only a great story, it's one of the most important episodes in the history of Doctor Who. It's a story where conspiracy and assassination cross paths with a mental battlefield fraught with weird imagery and nail-biting tension. It's one of the few episode where the Doctor does not have an official companion. It's the story where the Gothic-style horror of Philip Hinchcliffe is finally considered too much for Mary Whitehouse and eventually the BBC, as the show began to move towards a more humorous and larger-than-life Doctor. And it's also the story where Roberts Holmes firmly puts his imprint on the show's mythology by providing viewers with the first definitive and concrete look at the society of the Time Lords.

Answering a mental summons from Gallifrey, the Doctor arrives on his homeworld during a moment of historical importance. The President of the High Council of the Time Lords is making his last public appearance before the election of a new leader. It’s also the last appearance the President will ever make as a mysterious assassin guns him down. With all the evidence pointing to the Doctor, he’ll have to act quickly and think fast to clear his name, both on the physical world of Gallifrey and in the mysterious mental landscape of the Matrix, a repository of all Time Lord knowledge. But the assassination is simply the opening move in a dastardly plan from one of the Doctor’s fiercest enemies, an enemy who will stop at nothing, including the complete destruction of Gallifrey, in order to prolong his unnatural existence…

In 1976, Doctor Who was experiencing what some fans consider to be its “Golden Age,” with a run of well-crafted episodes, a fantastic acting duo in Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen, and the highest ratings in the show’s history. However, even though the show was at the height of its popularity, it also found itself as a crossroads. Mary Whitehouse was continuing her campaign against the show, believing “the over-the-top violence” was having a “detrimental” effect on the youth of Great Britain. Elisabeth Sladen left the TARDIS at the conclusion of the serial The Hand of Fear, leaving the Doctor without an official companion for the first time in the show’s history. Tom Baker was showing the first signs of what would become his legendary ego as he insisted that he could carry the program by himself and that the Doctor didn’t need a full-time companion. And both producer Philip Hinchcliffe and script editor Robert Holmes were planning their eventual departures from the show, with an eye on developing an adult science fiction program.

Holmes and Hinchcliffe decided to appease Baker (who also was a little concerned with immediately replacing a character like Sarah Jane Smith) with a serial that would indeed see the Doctor flying solo. While Hinchcliffe suggested that the plot of The Dangerous Assassin, soon renamed The Deadly Assassin, should be along the lines of thrillers such as Seven Days in May and The Manchurian Candidate, it was Holmes who decided that the best place for a politically charged assassination story would be within the society of the Time Lords as it would give him the freedom to not only define the society to best suit the story, but also allow him to continue his trademark of slipping in metaphors and critiques of modern day affairs. This included naming the Time Lords’ mysterious and shadowy “dirty tricks” organization the Celestial Intervention Agency as a dig at the American’s “dirty tricks” organization, the Central Intelligence Agency (to the groans of some fans), as well as touching upon the various paranoid conspiracy theories that sprung up in the wake of the assassination of President John F Kennedy. To push Doctor Who even further into new territory, Hinchcliffe insisted on the Doctor facing a surrealist nightmare that could be shot entirely on film, which formed the basis for the serial’s well-known third episode. And since The Deadly Assassin was taking place on Gallifrey, Hinchcliffe and Holmes decided to make the central villain none other than the Master. The character was last seen in the Third Doctor serial Frontier in Space before the tragic death of Roger Delgado in a car crash. With Hinchcliffe and Holmes preparing to leave the show, they decided to create an entirely new version of the Master, one who was decrepit and desperate to live. Not only was this character a far cry from the smooth and suave Delgado Master, it also allowed a new creative team to come up with their own version of the Master without being saddled with any personality traits and characterization given to the character by Hinchcliffe and Holmes.

Since their first appearance in The War Games, the Time Lords had been a mysterious and unknown entity, save for ocassionally sending the Third Doctor out on some nebulous mission. The Three Doctors provided a few more insights, but The Deadly Assassin is where many of the concepts that have defined the phrase “Time Lord” throughout the show’s history originated. The make and model of the TARDIS is first mentioned – a Type 40. The name of Rassilon is brought up on several occasions, and his seal (a seal that was reused from the alien race in Revenge of the Cybermen) would come to represent Time Lord society. The Panopticon, the main room of Gallifrey’s capitol, was shown as a high ceilinged chamber of green walls and stone floors, while also serving as the location of the Eye of Harmony, the source of the Time Lord’s power kept in a vault underneath it. Various chapters, representing a social structure, were introduced – Patrexes, Arcalians, and the sect the Doctor belonged to, the notoriously devious Prydonians, with each chapter possessing some ridiculously ridiculous clothing. And easily the biggest revelation that has followed the Doctor ever since – a Time Lord can only regenerate twelve times before dying permanently. With all of this grandeur on display and technology that could travel all of time and space at their fingertips, Holmes forsakes the idea of a grand and benevolent alien civilization, giving us something that’s more Blake’s 7 than Star Trek. Time Lord society is shown to be haughty (the titles, the clothing, and the attitudes, with the news broadcast of the High President’s final appearance reminding some viewers of the BBC’s coverage of Royal Family events), conservative and stagnant (the Doctor remarks that some of the technology possessed by the Time Lords would be considered obsolete on other highly advanced worlds), and corrupt (the final facts of the assassination are changed to protect the guilty and mislead the innocent). It makes sense if one thinks about it – why else would such an advanced society see so many of its best and brightest run away? The Doctor, the Master, the Meddling Monk, the War Chief, Morbius…

Roger Murray-Leach deserves credit for perhaps his finest set design work outside of Planet of Evil. Murray-Leach pulls a hell of a rabbit out of the black hole that was the Doctor Who budget. The simple use of green reflective tape helps to give Gallifrey that “70’s futuristic” look which persists through the story. Using a two-layered set for the Panopticon, Murray-Leach and company used mirrors and trick photography that help stretch the pound sterling until it screamed, using the same set of extras in three different locations and then composing all three locations into one shot in order to make the High President’s appearance look that much more impressive. Director David Maloney’s technique helps add to the story’s tension with quick cuts, blurry camera shots at it whips around the scene, and freeze frames at the right moments. The third episode in particular is a testament to Maloney’s skill. As the investigation unfolds, the Doctor realizes that in order to send a telepathic summons across vast distances, the Master must have used the power of the Matrix, a vast neural network which houses the combined knowledge of deceased Time Lords and has the capability to turn that knowledge into mental patterns that resemble an early form of virtual reality (in the behind the scenes documentary, Hinchcliffe laughs that Holmes had predicted both virtual reality AND The Matrix nearly 20 years in advance!). In order to track the Master, the Doctor risks his mind to enter the Matrix, where he’s immediately barraged with the kind of mental imagery that Holmes loved to throw in his scripts, including a variety of metaphors for Holmes’ interest in the crumbling of society . Along with the momentary threat of a mad surgeon, an attack from a vengeful samurai, and the mocking reflection of an evil clown under the sand, the Doctor must also deal with soldiers in gas masks, a train driver that threatens to run him over, a biplane bomber assault that reminds viewers of the Hitchcock movie North by Northwest, and finally a one-on-one hunt between the Doctor and a big game hunter stalking him through a lush jungle. Shot entirely on film, the tribal drum beats of Dudley Simpson’s incidental music add to the tension as the Doctor and the hunter constantly try to bluff and counter-bluff each other with poison, grenades, blowguns, and finally fisticuffs. The third episode is a stark visual contrast from the rest of the serial, but the imagery of the wild of nature shot on film is a great counterpoint to the cold and sterile world of the Time Lords as recorded on videotape.

With the lack of a companion, Holmes turned to two characters, both Time Lords, to help to the heavy lifting in terms of exposition and asking questions. As opposed to the “elite” Time Lords, these two characters are more open-minded and willing to look past the surface of any given situation. George Pravda, who also appeared in The Enemy of the World and The Mutants as well as a little movie called Thunderball portrays Castellan Spandrell, head of the Chancellery Guard, who is determined to get to the truth and is willing to let the Doctor pitch his case. He doesn’t take everything the Doctor says at face value, but doesn’t immediately dismiss his theories, allowing himself to be convinced of the Master’s threat once all the evidence is on the table. On the other side is the older, wiser, and shaky Coordinator Engin played by Erik Chitty (The Massacre of St. Bartholomew’s Eve. Engin is in charge of the Matrix and repeatedly insists that everything the Doctor says is impossible up until the moment the Doctor proves him wrong, but instead of getting upset, Engin accepts the truth and continues to help the Doctor.

Opposing them is Goth, a Time Lord politician who allies with the Master in return for his assistance in obtaining the Lord Presidency. Goth (retroactively in the short story Future Imperfect) was the Time Lord who sentenced and exiled the Second Doctor at the conclusion of The War Games and has no qualms with killing the Fourth Doctor at the Master’s command. Played by Bernard Horsfall (The Mind Robber, Planet of the Daleks, and another little movie called On Her Majesty’s Secret Service), Goth initially attempts to set the Doctor up for a rapid trial to ensure his execution, but when that fails he travels into the Matrix in order to kill the Doctor and prevent him from tracking the Master. The evil clown, the deadly surgeon, and the big game hunter are all constructs of Goth, and Horsfall deserves credit for easily being able to shift from the arrogant and haughty Time Lord into the careful and deliberate game hunter, both able foes for the Doctor. Angus McKay has a supporting role as Lord Cardinal Borusa, a character who would pop up again in the future under different regenerations in two Fifth Doctor stories and the War Doctor novel Engines of War. In The Deadly Assassin, Borusa is shown as a pragmatic leader who is concerned with morale and public image as a means of keeping his power. Once the Doctor is proven innocent, Borusa “adjusts the truth” to ensure that history records the traitor Goth as the hero of the day, one who stopped the Master at the cost of his final regeneration. He is willing to drop the charges against the Doctor as well, provided the Doctor leaves Gallifrey immediately. In a nice touch by Holmes, Borusa is revealed in casual conversation to have once been a tutor to the Doctor as he repeats one of his teacher’s old mantra’s – “Only in mathematics will be find the truth.” And in return, as the Doctor prepared to leave Borusa calls him back and tells him “nine out of ten,” eliciting one of Tom Baker’s patented grins as a response.

As mentioned earlier, the smooth, suave, and sophisticated Master of Robert Delgado would give way to a Time Lord that was little more than a decaying skeleton. This Master was clad in a frayed and tattered cloak, and possessed a skeletal face with only a few remnants of flesh still attached. Instead of make-up, the crew decided to go with a painted mask that would save time and money, although with the disadvantage of…well, looking like a mask with big yellow eyes and a jaw that barely moved when the actor behind it talked. For that actor, Hinchcliffe went with a performer whose voice could project beyond the thick mask, finding him in Peter Pratt. Pratt’s claim to fame was found in a series of comic operas based upon the works of Gilbert & Sullivan. His performance in The Deadly Assassin possessed no humor as Pratt gives the Master an angry yet desperate tone in his words. Hunched over, the Master hisses and spits at the Doctor, rasping his rage even as he observes the Doctor falling into his trap. There’s none of the charm that Delgado, Anthony Ainley, or Michelle Gomez possess in their turns at the renegade Time Lord. This is a Time Lord who is dying by inches, having used up all their regenerations and willing to burn his entire planet for a new chance at life. He even goes so far as to fake his own death in order to obtain one last chance at achieving his mad goal. This would be Pratt’s only performance as the Master, and it’s a pretty fine one. Shame about that mask though. A little latex, maybe some movement of the eyes…both would have gone a long way in enhancing the character.

The Doctor will always need a companion. That’s just one of the laws of Doctor Who, the other laws being “Fans will never agree on whether or not a serial is good or bad, even Timelash or The Zygon Invasion/The Zygon Inversion” and “The discovery of a complete copy of The Power of the Daleks is cause for a national holiday in the United Kingdom.” The Doctor just needs someone who isn’t him, someone whose human (or human-esque) nature contrasts to the Doctor’s alien nature. With that said, The Deadly Assassin is the one serial where it’s a GOOD thing that the Doctor doesn’t have a companion. This is a solo Doctor where he’s been accused of a horrible crime and must prove his innocence, and a companion simply wouldn’t have worked among the machinations of the Time Lords or being trapped inside the Matrix. In any other circumstance however The Deadly Assassin would have been a great example of Hinchcliffe-era Tom Baker being able to carry the entire show by himself. Baker is on fire in this story, at his best when thrown against an overbeating authority. He somehow takes the Master’s plan with complete seriousness even while throwing out barbs and one-liners at his fellow Time Lords.. Baker shows the Doctor to be incredibly smart as he tricks the Chancellery Guard into carrying the TARDIS inside the capital itself and later figuring out that the Master’s “demise” was just too easy. He also carries the physical burden, mainly during the third episode’s “duel” with Goth inside the Matrix as well as during the final showdown with the Master as the Panopticon is crumbling around them. There is something that stands out during this story, another sign that a companion would have actually hindered this tale. Midway through the first episode, the Doctor loses his longcoat and scarf as he swaps them for a set of robes. For the rest the story’s runtime, the Doctor wears only a white shirt and brown pants. Among the high-brow and gaudily dressed Time Lords, the Doctor stands out because he looks incredibly normal, as opposed to standing out among human beings because he’s incredibly different. It’s one of things that I noticed that helps drive home just how different the Doctor is from his fellow Time Lords and gives a little more insight into why he ran away during his first incarnation.

So this story has some cool cliffhangers, but each one suffers from their own problems. The first episode ends with the Doctor appearing to be mind-controlled, picking up a rifle as he stands in the balcony, and gunning the Lord President down in cold blood. It caught me off-guard the first time I saw it, however the opening to the second episode replays the same scene but adds a few moments where it appears that someone in the crowd had pulled a gun out of their robes and was really the one who shot the President, and that the Doctor was trying to shoot the assassin first. It’s a bit of a cheat, but one easily forgiven. The second episode sees the Doctor’s foot caught in a railroad switch as a train conductor in a gas mask bears down on him, only for the next episode to reveal that it was an illusion of the Matrix. It’s the third episode’s climax however that is both one of the best and one of the most infamous in the history of the entire show. Goth and the Doctor are fighting in a pond, and Goth manages to get the upper hand. He forces the Doctor underwater, firmly stating his intention to drown him, and the episode ends on the familiar musical sting and a freeze-frame of the Doctor being held completely under the surface. It works BEAUTIFULLY, an absolute nail biter that surely had viewers tuning in the next week to see just how the Doctor managed to get out of this one, and has frequently been considered one of the best cliffhangers in the entire history of Doctor Who.

The problem is that the cliffhanger worked TOO well and played right into the hands of Mary Whitehouse.

Already in a tizzy over the violence in The Brain of Morbius, Whitehouse's National Listeners' and Viewer's Association lost their blue-rinsed heads at the shot of the Doctor being held underwater. The poor children of Britain, they said, would have this strong image of a helpless Doctor in their heads all week until the transmission of the final episode, and who knows the untold mental damage such an image could cause to the children! While Robert Holmes scoffed at the very thought, the BBC finally caved into Whitehouse. After writing a letter of apology, the BBC cut the ending to the third episode, the final focusing on Goth's face instead, although future video and DVD releases would restore the original cliffhanger. The BBC would curtail Hinchcliffe's time on the show as well. Hinchcliffe would depart after the end of this season, with new producer Graham Williams told to tone down the violence.

And to some, it's been all downhill ever since.

The Deadly Assassin is another strong serial that holds an important place in the history of Doctor Who. It's the only serial not to feature any sort of companion, official or one-off. It's the serial that established the basics of Time Lord society. And it's the serial where the Gothic-style horror of Philip Hinchcliffe would begin to fade away. The show would continue to attract audiences and be a vital part of British culture for decades to come, but there's no doubt that The Deadly Assassin is one of the show's major turning points.

Random Thoughts

quote:

Engin: What is the Master like on mathematics?
The Doctor: He's brilliant, absolutely brilliant-- he's almost up to my standards.
- Goth mentions finding the Master on the planet Tersurus, which Steven Moffat would make the setting of his Comic Relief special The Curse of the Fatal Death.
- The final story of Season 14, and also Hinchcliffe's final episode as showrunner, The Talons of Weng-Chiang was originally conceived at a direct sequel to this story, with the Master in place of the half-melted warlord Magnus Greel.
- This just might be the funniest drat shot in the show's entire history – the chalk outline of the Lord President's dead body.

- Although, this might be a close second.

Cobi's Synopsis – The end of Doctor Who's Golden Age would begin here, as Mary Whitehouse's campaign against the show bears fruit. That doesn't stop The Deadly Assasin from being a top-notch political thriller mixed with brilliant and haunting mental imagery as the Doctor squares off once again against the Master in a story that would establish the future portrayal of the Time Lords and their society.

Next up - The Doctor arrives on a planet where two tribes, the savage Sevateem and the technically brilliant Tesh, are at war. He meets Leela, an exile from the Sevateem, and discovers that their god of evil is apparently himself...

Tom Baker is the Doctor in...The Face of Evil.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 5, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

The Deadly Assassin is not only a great story

Agreed

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
For those wondering what Rusty's been up to, he's directed a GoT-inspired adaptation of A Midsummer Night's Dream for the BBC that sounds fascinating.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016...-who-generation

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

For those wondering what Rusty's been up to, he's directed a GoT-inspired adaptation of A Midsummer Night's Dream for the BBC that sounds fascinating.

I don't always like the end result of RTD's ideas, but goddamn if I don't love and applaud him for so frequently wanting to push boundaries and try something new.

Just makes me wish again we could have had another Who story from him during the Moffat era, would have been pretty cool to see what he came up with when he didn't have to deal with all the associated work of being showrunner.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

The_Doctor posted:

"...Davies certainly runs with his vision of a play he has clearly loved ever since he was a young boy playing Bottom in a school production, and it makes sense."

RTD really has a gift for making subtext into text.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Because I'm uncultured swine, for a few seconds I was trying to figure out what Ade Edmondson and Rik Mayall had to do with this. :sweatdrop:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Twenty-six years, in DW terms, used to only mean how long the original series ran. Now, it's also going to mean how long BF's been making DW:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-licence-extended-to-2025

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Anyone who likes the idea of RTD's Midsummer Night's Dream should toddle over to the Globe Player, where you can see their smoulderingly gay 2013 production of that play for £5.99 to rent or £9.99 to buy. Or, even better there's the all-male gay-turned-up-to-11 Mark Rylance Twelfth Night for the same price, a production so good I saw it about six times. Also has Stephen Fry giving his Malvolio. Have a free Youtube clip, I insist.

edit: they've also got the excellent Doctor Faustus that had Arthur Darvill as Mephistopheles.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 6, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

Also has Stephen Fry giving his Malvolio.

Ban this sick filth.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Davros1 posted:

Twenty-six years, in DW terms, used to only mean how long the original series ran. Now, it's also going to mean how long BF's been making DW:

Amazing! This is going to be the best Christmas Walford has ever had!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Amazing! This is going to be the best Christmas Walford has ever had!

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Trin Tragula posted:

Anyone who likes the idea of RTD's Midsummer Night's Dream should toddle over to the Globe Player, where you can see their smoulderingly gay 2013 production of that play for £5.99 to rent or £9.99 to buy. Or, even better there's the all-male gay-turned-up-to-11 Mark Rylance Twelfth Night for the same price, a production so good I saw it about six times. Also has Stephen Fry giving his Malvolio. Have a free Youtube clip, I insist.

edit: they've also got the excellent Doctor Faustus that had Arthur Darvill as Mephistopheles.
What about those of us who liked the idea of "a passionate kiss at the end between two leading female characters which is certainly not in the source text either"? The best part being "at the end" because that leaves no time for either character to be subsequently murdered. :shobon:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Suddenly the fact that so much of their output stars old guys makes me nervous. :smith:

edit: Does this mean that the whole deal with them only being able to produce content that takes place before Capaldi's run will also last until 2025?

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 6, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Suddenly the fact that so much of their output stars old guys makes me nervous. :smith:

edit: Does this mean that the whole deal with them only being able to produce content that takes place before Capaldi's run will also last until 2025?

Depends on what the wording of the contract is. It might stipulate simply anything before the current Doctor's tenure.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One day somebody is going to post in this thread,"I really like the audios with that old guy Matt Smith, what tv episode would you guys recommend I watch of his? I don't mind it only being in HD."

Then we'll all argue about that for the next 3 weeks.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

One day somebody is going to post in this thread,"I really like the audios with that old guy Matt Smith, what tv episode would you guys recommend I watch of his? I don't mind it only being in HD."

The Beast Below, many say it's a classic

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Beast Below, many say it's a classic

Start with The Eleventh Hour you son of a bitch! :argh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Start with The Eleventh Hour you son of a bitch! :argh:

I was trying to think of the most VoVesque Smith story :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

"Before you watch it, you've got to understand, television was made a little differently back then in the early 2010s; no Tri-D holovids or 4-d audios - it's a different world compared to 2137. Big Finish also produce audios of all 26 doctors - even easier when we discovered we could clone them."

• Locked thread