Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

If there's a politician at any level in the US that doesn't use alternative email accounts or private servers to dodge FOIA requests, I'd be shocked. Probably most of these politicians banging on about emails are also violating security and transparency statutes.

And doing something anout it so people are accountable is a bitcoin crank idea that will never, ever happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

:lol: #NeverTrump is loving doomed.

Anyone notice how all of the high profile names like Ryan and company all qualify their non-support of Trump with weasel phrases like "I can't support Trump at this time"? They're all leaving themselves an opening to save face for when the Trump bandwagon starts to fill up and threatens to leave them behind.

When it comes time to fall in line they'll just point out some Hillary quote from the last 6 months and go on about how they can't possibly support letting her become president and that the GOP must unite in spite of their differences. Bank on it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The lich is in the mood of watching the world burn.

Also The La Li Lu Le Lo lied and nanomachine tech isn't advanced enough for Cheney to get super swole.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Hmmm a Mon Mothma rebranding will synergize well with the Rogue One marketing blitz..

I never... I never made this connection.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Anyone notice how all of the high profile names like Ryan and company all qualify their non-support of Trump with weasel phrases like "I can't support Trump at this time"? They're all leaving themselves an opening to save face for when the Trump bandwagon starts to fill up and threatens to leave them behind.

When it comes time to fall in line they'll just point out some Hillary quote from the last 6 months and go on about how they can't possibly support letting her become president and that the GOP must unite in spite of their differences. Bank on it.

Let me explain why they're saying that poo poo: to provide cover for vulnerable republicans in districts that they could lose. This is all about Speaker Ryan keeping his Majority .

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

On the bright side, it means more RedState people getting disgusted by spotlight-seeking hypocrisy :getin:

It's really my favorite new hobby

https://twitter.com/benhowe/status/723205805365932032

Welcome to the mid-20th century, enjoy your stay as we try to make the country work despite your support of lovely racists and crypto-anarchists for decades buh bye now :byewhore:

EDIT: Also "Make America Great Again" was the 1980 Republican Convention slogan. No loving excuses for not seeing what was happening, and what would inevitably be coming as a result.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 6, 2016

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
If we are prosecuting people for IT negligence in the US government, who is going to jail for the fact that they keep loving letting people steal pretty much every detail of my life history(yay for all the details they have on me from security clearance application) because the US government IT is pure poo poo and has 0 security because government IT contracts are 100% awarded from nepotism.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Let me explain why they're saying that poo poo: to provide cover for vulnerable republicans in districts that they could lose. This is all about Speaker Ryan keeping his Majority .

A core group of Trump supporters are now boosting Ryan's primary opponent.

I mean it won't happen but lol if it did

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Don't worry about Russia guys, Trump's got a plan to keep us safe.

quote:

In a Wednesday interview with Fox News' Bill O'Reilly, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee said he would not tolerate Russian military fighters "buzzing" US warships and planes, incidents that are occurring with increasing frequency of late.

“First of all, he has no respect for our president and our country. He is tweaking us," Trump said of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

"If it were me, I would call him and say 'Don’t do it. Just stop it. Don’t do it.' They’re going to respect us," he added.

Citing his "semi-nice" relationship with Putin, Trump said that he would "hate" to shoot down Russian planes that fly too close to US ships. But he left the door open to the possibility if the Russian president didn't heed his call to "back down."

"They do it again — they're going to have a problem," Trump said.

He added: "I may have to do something which you would hate to do. It’s something I wouldn’t want to do, but I would say 'Vladimir, don’t do it.'"

I don't know about you guys, but I'd feel secure under a Trump presidency.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

alpha_destroy posted:

I'm more offended he named a living thing Veto. Not cause the politics or his vetoes. Just cause it is not a great name.

The bad part is that since it ends with the strong "o" sound the dog may get constantly confused between it's name and "No."

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Khisanth Magus posted:

If we are prosecuting people for IT negligence in the US government, who is going to jail for the fact that they keep loving letting people steal pretty much every detail of my life history(yay for all the details they have on me from security clearance application) because the US government IT is pure poo poo and has 0 security because government IT contracts are 100% awarded from nepotism.

I don't disagree, but as someone at a lower level of government I believe we can fix it.

However the first step is acknowledging the problem that people don't think government has purpose. I liken this to people insisting that the government use horse cavalry in warfare and then when told that motorized vehicles really would be better and more efficient, forcing the government to mount machine guns on horse carriages.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Daniel Bryan posted:

A core group of Trump supporters are now boosting Ryan's primary opponent.

I mean it won't happen but lol if it did

Ryan is almost certainly going to get RINO'd after HIllary bathes in the blood of Republicans:

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/728676442523848704

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Xanderkish posted:

God, Putin would run loving circles around Trump. Play him like a goddamn fiddle.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Spiritus Nox posted:

God, Putin would run loving circles around Trump. Play him like a goddamn fiddle.

Until Trump is a moron and actually orders an attack on some Russian jet or something, and then we have WW3. Then Trump is commander in chief of the largest military in the world in WW3.

Hail Emperor Putin, leader of the Imperium of Russia!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Spiritus Nox posted:

No you don't understand, Trump is strong, he makes noises, he looks and acts tough, that's what foreigners respect! That's what I want! I'm so drat angry the black man !!!!!

I was going to finish that sentence but it doesn't have an ending, really, or coherence.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Khisanth Magus posted:

Basically my take on the whole thing.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Khisanth Magus posted:

Until Trump is a moron and actually orders an attack on some Russian jet or something, and then we have WW3. Then Trump is commander in chief of the largest military in the world in WW3.

Hail Emperor Putin, leader of the Imperium of Russia!

I might start rooting for Russia to wipe us all out.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/728680549620043776

*HONK*

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

I might start rooting for Russia to wipe us all out.

Watching Putin clown Trump would be fun. Watching Putin win at things would be less so.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Ryan is almost certainly going to get RINO'd after HIllary bathes in the blood of Republicans:

Hillary's video ad campaign against Trump continues to own.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He was already RINO'd when he lost in 2012 and again when he became Speaker.

Reminder about Paul Ryan.

1) Never trust a person with a last name that is a first name.
2) When he had a beard the shitbase thought he was a new Muslim convert.
3) He has scheduled the a record amount of least amount of days Congress meets. This was way before Scalia died. So from the very start he was going to make 1 of the 3 branch of the gov. just not do its job.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Predictably, Hillary and co. are being mocked for trying to get 'Dangerous Donald' passed around. I can totally see Trump walk on a rally stage wearing some shades and totally pimp out that nickname.

If you're gonna use alliteration, why not Disaster Donald? Or why even a nickname at all, it's dumb as poo poo.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Predictably, Hillary and co. are being mocked for trying to get 'Dangerous Donald' passed around. I can totally see Trump walk on a rally stage wearing some shades and totally pimp out that nickname.

If you're gonna use alliteration, why not Disaster Donald? Or why even a nickname at all, it's dumb as poo poo.

It's not really mocking so much as democrat arzying, which is the worst

OMG WHAT IF HE LEANS INTO IT AND THEN WE CAN'T TALK ABOUT HOW DANGEROUS HE IS ANYMORE OH NOO OH NOOO~ democratic leaning press person

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
they're mocking it because its dumb as hell to try to assign a derogatory nickname to the opposing candidate. why not just call him Big Booger Man Donald

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
They're inspired by the crushing success of the LYIN' TED epithet.

"Dangerous Donald" has Mark Penn all over it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Evil Fluffy posted:

How is this legal? I'm guessing there's exceptions for meeting with your legal counsel otherwise it's definitely prime for being struck down since bilking the poo poo out of people or flat out making them unable to meet due to insufficient means seems like a no go pretty easily.

You might be surprised but there are very few laws regarding prisoner visitation!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

They're inspired by the crushing success of the LYIN' TED epithet.

"Dangerous Donald" has Mark Penn all over it.

Mark Penn isn't part of the campaign team.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Out of curiosity what evidence do we have that Hillary is behind that?

I haven't seen anything associated with the official Hillary campaign take that up.

Hillary's called him a loose cannon, which isn't that great either. But the "Dangerous Donald" stuff seems to be coming from the DNC.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 6, 2016

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Because good political messaging uses easily remembered sound bites to take root in the popular consciousness. See death panels, death tax, etc. The goal is to have an idea that can be easily parsed in just a few words and then keep repeating it until it becomes common knowledge. Republicans are vastly better at this than democrats could ever hope to be. Someone at the DNC needs to find out how much it would cost to buy off Frank Luntz, because history has proven that that's pretty much the only chance they'd ever have to pull off this sort of messaging without immediately screwing it up.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Mark Penn isn't part of the campaign team.

I'm aware. It still sounds like something his dumb loving rear end would say and it's not like he's no longer in the Clinton orbit.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

theblackw0lf posted:

Out of curiosity what evidence do we have that Hillary is behind that?

I haven't seen anything associated with the official Hillary campaign take that up.

The Hillary campaign is focused on the stuff like the ads on their Twitter. This other stuff is the DNC doing the whacky poo poo they do.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

At least Hillary's ad game is strong

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
So this is fun:

quote:

Since 2008, the Texas Politics Project has also engaged in three to four statewide public opinion polls each year to assess the opinions of registered voters on upcoming elections, public policy, and attitudes towards politics, politicians, and government. Beginning in 2009, we partnered with the Texas Tribune, and continue to regularly measure public opinion in Texas, making the data freely available to students, researchers, and the general public in our data archive.

DONALD TRUMP FAVORABILITY (FEBRUARY 2016) - 44% 'very unfavorable', 15% 'somewhat unfavorable'
FUTURE PERFORMANCE AS PRESIDENT - DONALD TRUMP (FEBRUARY 2016) - 11% 'great president, 45% 'terrible president'

HILLARY CLINTON FAVORABILITY (FEBRUARY 2016) - 46% 'very unfavorable', 7% 'somewhat unfavorable'
FUTURE PERFORMANCE AS PRESIDENT - HILLARY CLINTON (FEBRUARY 2016) - 13% 'great president, 42% 'terrible president'

Compare this to the February 2012 data (before they asked the 'future performance' question):

Mitt Romney was only at 25% 'very unfavorable', 23% 'somewhat unfavorable' to Obama's 49% 'very unfavorable', 6% 'somewhat unfavorable'.

Then, back in July 2008 (when they only asked 'positive/negative/neutral'):

McCain was 37.1% 'negative' to Obama's 45.6% 'negative'.

Obviously none of this means "omg Texas is purple now" but still, christ almighty.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Xanderkish posted:

This kind of thing is why I've never agreed that Cruz was the worse candidate. Worse PERSON, sure - but the type of things that were awful about Cruz are the type of things that are bad for a legislator, not a president. Trump would have control of the strongest military in the world. That's terrifying.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

showbiz_liz posted:

So this is fun:

DONALD TRUMP FAVORABILITY (FEBRUARY 2016) - 44% 'very unfavorable', 15% 'somewhat unfavorable'
FUTURE PERFORMANCE AS PRESIDENT - DONALD TRUMP (FEBRUARY 2016) - 11% 'great president, 45% 'terrible president'

HILLARY CLINTON FAVORABILITY (FEBRUARY 2016) - 46% 'very unfavorable', 7% 'somewhat unfavorable'
FUTURE PERFORMANCE AS PRESIDENT - HILLARY CLINTON (FEBRUARY 2016) - 13% 'great president, 42% 'terrible president'

Compare this to the February 2012 data (before they asked the 'future performance' question):

Mitt Romney was only at 25% 'very unfavorable', 23% 'somewhat unfavorable' to Obama's 49% 'very unfavorable', 6% 'somewhat unfavorable'.

Then, back in July 2008 (when they only asked 'positive/negative/neutral'):

McCain was 37.1% 'negative' to Obama's 45.6% 'negative'.

Obviously none of this means "omg Texas is purple now" but still, christ almighty.

It means what everyone has known for months. A lot of people dislike Hillary. Even more dislike Trump.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I think we are witnessing the end of the Republican party. Losing relevancy wasn't doing it very quickly, but having their own messaging blow up in their face might be the thing. It's hilarious to watch establishment torn between supporting Trump for the sake of saving downticket races, and fleeing for the hills. We might even see legislative seats flip D this fall that would have been near-impossible otherwise, just because Trump keeps enough conservatives from wanting to bother voting. Even if the GOP as an entity survives, I bet the party map in 2020 is going to look very different.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

alpha_destroy posted:

I'm more offended he named a living thing Veto. Not cause the politics or his vetoes. Just cause it is not a great name.

VitoVeto Corleone

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

The whole Hillary email controversy seems to hinge on certain emails "containing classified information" while being very coy about the nature of said information. Take any newspaper article on the Benghazi attacks and odds are it contains information classified by the CIA. It doesn't matter if it's common knowledge, it's classified. However unless Clinton received it from the CIA she'd have no reason to believe that it's classified and there's no way she'd be prosecuted for mishandling classified information. It's especially egregious if she just received the data because it's the sender's responsibility but it lets the Republicans keep the controversy going, so here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

And so begins Hilllary's rightwards pivot to the comfortable triangular center now that the competition has imploded and she can safely gently caress over the left, not needing their support

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/07/us/politics/hillary-clinton-republican-party.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

quote:

Hillary Clinton Targets Republicans Turned Off by Donald Trump

• Locked thread