Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Does DS3 at least have 'Don't give up, skeleton!' in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

RareAcumen posted:

there's giant boulders that are made of screaming grasping bones

"try rolling, skeleton!" got a few giggles

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RareAcumen posted:

It has the skeleton that never gave up.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it has pinwheels where if you hit them hard enough they fall out of their wheels and awkwardly hop over and climb back into them

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

the bonewheels also do the Akira slide before they change directions

I do like that you don't have to engage any of the bonewheels unless you're a completionist. They're just off to the side, waving at you, saying 'come play with us! it'll be like the good old days!'

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

In Dragon Quest 8 you get a spell part way through the game called Zoom, which lets you fly off to most places in the world that you have previously visited. The catch is that you can't use it inside buildings, otherwise you fly up into the sky, only to bonk your head on the ceiling. I ended up accidentally casting the spell under a bridge while in town and yup, I managed to bonk my head on the bottom on the bridge.

I appreciate the consistency Level 5.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 15:15 on May 5, 2016

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

In Dragon Quest 8 you get a spell part way through the game called Zoom, which let's you fly off to any most places in the world that you have previously visited. The catch is that you can't use it inside buildings, otherwise you fly up into the sky, only to bonk your head on the ceiling. I ended up accidentally casting the spell under a bridge while in town and yup, I managed to bonk my head on the bottom on the bridge.

I appreciate the consistency Level 5.
The DQ series is full of great little details. :3: And as far as consistency goes, I think that's been true of Zoom/Loula since the spell's debut.

A favorite little game thing found elsewhere: Weblio, the online J<>E dictionary I use most often in my work, has entries for FF and DQ spells and other terms, including variations thereof when they've changed names over time. It comes in handy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
A thing I think I mentioned in my LP, is that the item crafting in Dragon Quest 8 doesn't get too far ahead of shops. Even with absurd luck with item drops you don't get anything that would knock the game out of balance. Yet it's still a worthy bonus, hitting a perfect balance item crafting systems don't normally hit.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Olaf The Stout posted:

Yo I got a request for the turbonerds here: give me the high-octane all-time greats of dwarf fortress and some more SS13. I screenshotted a ton of those SS13 stories posted a few pages back that one of you was kind enough to share, and they were catnip cocaine to my dork friends.

Show us what you have seen in your internet journies, the people love it.
The SS13 thread in games has a lot of classic stories starting with the second post http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3551842&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post415924020

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Babe Magnet posted:

The dancer is like the only instance I've ever seen the hitbox actually be good. All the player weapons are hosed, especially straightswords, boss will hit you with forward stabs with their backs turned to you, mimicks will grab you from the next room over, but they spent a lot of time making the dancer work right.

I've had the exact opposite.
There were many times when I would think I misgauged the distance, expecting a boss's stab to hit, then I snap the camera around and the tip of the sword is mere inches from my character. Any other souls game that would have hit me. Grabs are also super forgiving.

Except the leaping Ghru. gently caress THE LEAPING GHRU.
(granted the hitboxes for it are accurate to the model but it comes out so fast and they splay their arms out so wide then they jump on you and then you die)

Also if you want to see what happens when you make player weapon hitboxes too precise, see Nioh.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm sorry if the thread's getting tired of DS3 but I just wanted to say I love the design of the City of Irthryll of the Boreal Valley It feels very dreamlike and it is a very pretty area. The cool blue lighting, especially with the initial vista is spectacular. Even some of the enemies fit that aesthetic. The Dancers are an enemy I've seen complained about but they aren't too annoying to fight, they die quick if you get a hit in, and I love the way they move. They feel very weightless but still present with their balletic movements with the twin swords. I also love the lone Evangelist in the small caged area where there is no way in except the locked gate. I'm not sure what it's implying but I like that she is just squatting in the corner dry heaving, and she doesn't agro until you hit her. It seems something very bad had happened to her, like maybe she was heading to the Undead Settlement to preach and just got very lost, but you kinda feel bad for her. Did she lock herself in there to escape the hostile dancers, did they capture her or did she just go mad?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
If anyone in this thread ever makes a videogame, please take this to heart: Always cheat with hitboxes in the player's favor. They'll probably still notice their spear hitting someone despite stopping an inch in front of them or an enemy attack clipping through their body and doing no damage. But it'll be so, so much less infuriating.

Unless you're making a fighting game, of course. Then go hog wild.

HMS Boromir has a new favorite as of 19:59 on May 5, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
FF14: Some minions interact with each other. You get 2 minions from one of the end game dungeons

They dance together :3:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HMS Boromir posted:

If anyone in this thread ever makes a videogame, please take this to heart: Always cheat with hitboxes in the player's favor. They'll probably still notice their spear hitting someone despite stopping an inch in front of them or an enemy attack clipping through their body and doing no damage. But it'll be so, so much less infuriating.

Unless you're making a fighting game, of course. Then go hog wild.

Post a better image then, Slayer's 6P isn't active in that frame you posted, its active once his shoulder moves forward and there's a good second delay from when you do the move and it hits.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Leal posted:

FF14: Some minions interact with each other. You get 2 minions from one of the end game dungeons

They dance together :3:

Is that meant to be Calcabrina?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

Is that meant to be Calcabrina?

Yeah, blue is Calca red is Brina.

Sadly getting 3 of each dancing together doesn't make them form up into Calcabrina :(

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Too bad {/pray}ing to a certain minion doesn't let it finally succeed at turning into a primal (actually, there are at least 2 minions that should work for now that I think of it)

E: I'd make a joke about Longhaft, but this is the little things thread

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 10:19 on May 6, 2016

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
There are minions for Ifrit, Tidus, Garuda and Leviabeetus now too. One of my favourite things from FFXIV: The one guy who pretends to have fought primals (the 'historical' FF summons which are now bosses that FFXIV is based around) and refers to Titan as Tidus and Leviathan as Leviabeetus. :v:

Ignimbrite has a new favorite as of 10:09 on May 6, 2016

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I've been playing the Overwatch beta and the game is really pretty. The Greek level is one of the prettiest levels I've seen in years.

In terms of gameplay, landing a hook on Tracer as Roadhog is a great feeling cause you know she's about to get hosed up :rms:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

moosecow333 posted:

I've been playing the Overwatch beta and the game is really pretty. The Greek level is one of the prettiest levels I've seen in years.

In terms of gameplay, landing a hook on Tracer as Roadhog is a great feeling cause you know she's about to get hosed up :rms:

I like trapping just about anyone (well, maybe minus close-to-full-hp tanks) in Junkrat's steel trap and giving them a huge dose of grenade.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BioEnchanted posted:

They feel very weightless but still present with their balletic movements with the twin swords. I also love the lone Evangelist in the small caged area where there is no way in except the locked gate. I'm not sure what it's implying but I like that she is just squatting in the corner dry heaving, and she doesn't agro until you hit her. It seems something very bad had happened to her, like maybe she was heading to the Undead Settlement to preach and just got very lost, but you kinda feel bad for her. Did she lock herself in there to escape the hostile dancers, did they capture her or did she just go mad?

You get a spell from her the first time you kill her that explains it fairly well. She got too close to "The Deep" which is yet another unknown entity or place, apparently themed after the deep sea that's been corrupting the church and it drove her crazy.

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012
Is there a place to read up on Dark Souls/Demon Souls/Bloodborne lore?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Kiebland posted:

Yeah. The Internet.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Kiebland posted:

This guy's YouTube channel is more or less the definitive source.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Kiebland posted:

YouTube channel VaatiVidya has some videos on this. I cannot attest to their quality as I don't really play those games.

EDIT: beaten to it lol. That's what happens when you open another window and forget you're writing a post for 30 minutes.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Kiebland posted:

A lot of the lore comes from item flavor text which you can find on various wikis. Even though some reference each other heavily, story elements aren't consistent between games.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Nuebot posted:

You get a spell from her the first time you kill her that explains it fairly well. She got too close to "The Deep" which is yet another unknown entity or place, apparently themed after the deep sea that's been corrupting the church and it drove her crazy.

I forgot I'd received that spell. Thanks.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Slate Action posted:

This guy's YouTube channel is more or less the definitive source.

They said "read", not "watch hours of YouTube videos narrated by dorks hounding for clicks"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
They actually said "read up on" which is an idiom generally meaning "get informed on" but you go on and try to score them discourse points buddy

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

flatluigi posted:

They actually said "read up on" which is an idiom generally meaning "get informed on" but you go on and try to score them discourse points buddy

Good show sir! I bet he will never find the nerve to sully this great discourse on video game fluff ever again!

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Alteisen posted:

Post a better image then, Slayer's 6P isn't active in that frame you posted, its active once his shoulder moves forward and there's a good second delay from when you do the move and it hits.

its gonna take me 200 frames to recover from this brutal correction

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's pretty neat how FarCry Primal has a bunch of custom animations for pet takedowns of animals.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

muscles like this? posted:

It's pretty neat how FarCry Primal has a bunch of custom animations for pet takedowns of animals.

I loved FC3 and didn't play 4, would primal be good for playing co-op with a friend that's never played any of them? We both got PS4s, and I looooove cavemen.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Unless they patched it in, it doesn't have co-op at all so probably not.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
got Momodora 4 on a steam sale. it's a fun Metroidvania with some Dark Souls influences. i think it does a good job translating the feel of a Dark Souls game into a 2D platformer without making it feel too derivative.

there's a boss fight with two opponents like Ornstein and Smough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrM5xxpNdzE

also, there's npc's you can encounter repeatedly as the game progresses and one of them helps you during a boss fight. the boss' health meter is already partially down since you're walking into the middle of the fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxSTlWOHr0o

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I love that the capstone skill for Berserker's in Guild Wars 2 is a headbutt.

Most of the skills involve poo poo like literally summoning rocks and shattering them or kicking someone so hard they can fly off and knock other people down as well as a variety of abilities that mostly involve setting yourself on fire, and the final skill, the very last thing in the tree is a goddamn headbutt.

Its really powerful to and makes taking down champion break bars quite easy, also I'm fairly certain it has the lowest cooldown of any elite skill in the game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I haven't played it yet but watching a video for Uncharted 4 and it's nice that they finally added straps to long guns so Drake no longer has a magnetic back.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Dark Souls 2: I punched these dudes into the goddamned ground

In a tense area I felt under-equipped for, it was a nice little thing.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Towards the beginning of the new Uncharted you get to walk around Drake's house and play Crash Bandicoot.

Also there's an option to replay cinematics which comes in handy if you miss something which is nice.

GEORGE W BUSHI has a new favorite as of 08:33 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Is it the whole game? :allears: