Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

In the late-80's they had a couple Survivor Series shows with 20-man tag matches due to all the tag teams, so I imagine that's up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Angular Landbury posted:

Really? I thought I had read that Backlund didn't like Hulk's whole rockstar cartoon thing, but was okay dropping the belt to Shiekie as he had an extensive "real sports" pedigree.
I could be wrong about the reason. Backlund definitely came to dislike Hogan, but I think that had more to do with his partying behaviour. Not wanting to turn heel was definitely a part of it; it was still an era where he had to worry about the impact on his family. (That's a funny contrast, by the way, since Billy Robinson dislocated the Sheik's hip for supposedly having an ego at Gagne's training camp.)

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Gavok posted:

In the late-80's they had a couple Survivor Series shows with 20-man tag matches due to all the tag teams, so I imagine that's up there.

These matches are The Reason to watch the first two survivor series, as they are amazing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

El Estrago Bonito posted:

What's the time period in the WWF/E that has had the most active Tag Teams? It certainly feels like right now is absolutely a really tag team focused period but I feel like by the numbers it probably looses out to late 80's WWF.

Two straight years the Survivor Series had 5 team on 5 team match.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Benne posted:

When WCW fired Ric Flair like 2 weeks before Great American Bash 1991, fans spent the whole show chanting his name (which they had every right to, that show was dogshit)

Particularly because the main event was I think Lex defending against a mystery opponent who they claimed was a "blonde,6'2 former NWA champion", did nothing to dissuade the audience that it was Flair having worked things out, and it turned out to be a out of shape Barry Windham.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Particularly because the main event was I think Lex defending against a mystery opponent who they claimed was a "6'2 former NWA champion", and it turned out to be a out of shape Barry Windham.

No that was a few years later at Slamboree 1994 and everyone assumed it would be Hogan

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That may be the only time in wrestling history a guy was billed at less than his actual height. And Barry Windham must be the only guy in wrestling to impersonate a shorter guy, twice.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

No that was a few years later at Slamboree 1994 and everyone assumed it would be Hogan

Ah, okay, I thought I might have remembered it wrong. Although the GAB '91 main event was Luger vs Windham...

quote:

The card was originally to be highlighted by a Steel cage match between Ric Flair and Lex Luger for the WCW World Championship, and this match was heavily promoted on WCW TV. However, two weeks before the show, then-WCW Executive Vice President Jim Herd fired Flair over a contract dispute, stripping him of the title in the process. At the time, champions left a $25,000 security deposit that would be refunded to them (along with any accumulated interest on the deposit) once they lost the title. As company did not give Flair back his deposit, he retained possession of the belt and later brought it to the World Wrestling Federation, where it appeared with it on television. WCW had to commission a new world championship belt. However, the new belt could not be readied in time for the event, so the company was forced to improvise. A Championship Wrestling from Florida title belt that was in the possession of Dusty Rhodes was used and a metal plate with "WCW World Heavyweight Champion" was attached to the front. In the match, Lex Luger pinned Barry Windham, who replaced Flair, after a piledriver on orders from Harley Race. After the match, Luger turned heel and took on Race as his manager and Mr. Hughes as his bodyguard.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 6, 2016

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Can any of you resourceful folks help me find any of the Corporate Kane/Seth Rollins backstage segments where it was like there were two Kanes, so Kane was denying that he was the masked Kane but would freak out for a second before regaining his composure and be like "you need to WATCH YOURSELF...in case you slip on this freshly washed floor Seth" and was all smiles and handshakes?

Would love to see those again.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

magnum_valentino posted:

Can any of you resourceful folks help me find any of the Corporate Kane/Seth Rollins backstage segments where it was like there were two Kanes, so Kane was denying that he was the masked Kane but would freak out for a second before regaining his composure and be like "you need to WATCH YOURSELF...in case you slip on this freshly washed floor Seth" and was all smiles and handshakes?

Would love to see those again.

This one isn't backstage but it bears reposting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1eEVACnrus

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

CM Sucks

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 6, 2016

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Considering how much CM Punk gets chanted every time WWE is in Chicago, are there any other notable examples of wrestlers getting chants after their career is over and they are not present?

Bret kinda got chants

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Krispen Noir
Bork Lazer
Kirk Angel

Those three get me everytime.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

between his release and rehiring matt hardy got chants every raw in between, made his return, cut a super awful promo, and then the chants stopped

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They chanted for hogan at WM 20

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Considering how much CM Punk gets chanted every time WWE is in Chicago, are there any other notable examples of wrestlers getting chants after their career is over and they are not present?

Not exactly the same thing, but a chop is going to get a "Woooo" from the crowd in every wrestling promotion on Earth until the end of time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gorbash posted:

Not exactly the same thing, but a chop is going to get a "Woooo" from the crowd in every wrestling promotion on Earth until the end of time.

Wasn't there one promotion who got upset at this?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Davros1 posted:

why do i want to say chikara?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Davros1 posted:

wwe

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

AkumaHokoru posted:

why do i want to say chikara?

Because Quack getting upset at an audience reaction that he can't control is par for the course. Too bad he couldn't make them all sleep on the couch.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Can someone give a primer on Bob Backland? He appeared on Smackdown recently and my only context for him is Nash mentioning Bob Backland rules on TNA years ago.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Can someone give a primer on Bob Backland? He appeared on Smackdown recently and my only context for him is Nash mentioning Bob Backland rules on TNA years ago.

He was WWF Champion for years in the early 80s until they put the belt on Sheik to transition to Hogan. He was a white bread, clean cut baby face and the audiences were getting tired of him. He left shortly after dropping the title, came back ten years later in the same baby face role, got a title shot against Bret Hart, lost, snapped, and became an awesome, crazy old man heel who actually won the title back from Bret before dropping it to Diesel a few days later. He's a great crazy old man character, because he's a legit crazy old man.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TL posted:

came back ten years later in the same baby face role, got a title shot against Bret Hart, lost, snapped

His match with Bret was AWESOME and everyone should watch it:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xk6der_bret-hitman-hart-vs-bob-backlund-wwf-title_sport

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

He was Vince Senior's pick to replace Bruno. As said was a clean cut all American babyface in the Gagne mold. Big draw at first (though he had a lot of support from Bruno who was often the main draw on MSG shows) but cooled off in the early 80s. Ended up as one of the guys Pro Wrestling USA tried to use to run opposition to Vince and flopped. Was pretty much an after thought until Vince brought him back in the 90s for his heel runs. Had a good match with Bret and a very, very boring match with Bret with a submission that seems utterly ridiculous today. Today he is thought of as a much better worker than he was, he was pretty distinctly average in his day.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
Isn't the asuka lock basically a crossface chicken wing?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tucked-In T-Shirt posted:

Backlund isn't THAT conservative.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Tucked-In T-Shirt posted:

Yes.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Follow up on Backlund chat: Here's him post winning the title from Bret giving an all time great psychotic heel promo. He feels like GAAAAAAAAWD.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bVEyE9F-fGQ

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Glamorama26 posted:

Follow up on Backlund chat: Here's him post winning the title from Bret giving an all time great psychotic heel promo. He feels like GAAAAAAAAWD.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bVEyE9F-fGQ

He looks like Brock lesnars malnourished conjoined twin

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Yeah. There was a brief time when wrestlers were told not to do chops at all because they didn't want fans "WOO"ing.

Critical posted:

Because Quack getting upset at an audience reaction that he can't control is par for the course.

wut

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Man, wrestling's kinda cool. I haven't watched in any meaningful manner in like fifteen years and don't plan to start, really, but I love all of these "highlights" people link on youtube and stuff of promos, spots, matches, and gently caress-ups that make the whole thing special.

For reasons, is there a good place to see a visual list of wrestling moves? I know a lot of the common ones, but I hear jargon thrown around all the time for moves I don't really understand until I see them performed. There's a list in Wikipedia, but the article just has a description of them.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Appoda posted:

Man, wrestling's kinda cool. I haven't watched in any meaningful manner in like fifteen years and don't plan to start, really, but I love all of these "highlights" people link on youtube and stuff of promos, spots, matches, and gently caress-ups that make the whole thing special.

For reasons, is there a good place to see a visual list of wrestling moves? I know a lot of the common ones, but I hear jargon thrown around all the time for moves I don't really understand until I see them performed. There's a list in Wikipedia, but the article just has a description of them.

if people are talking about a specific wrestler w/ specific move names you can usually youtube "[Wrestler Name] - top moves" and itll show a list of all their usual or impressive spots. otherwise just youtube specific move names youre curious about like "backbreaker wrestling move" or something to see it and variations on it

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

MotU posted:

if people are talking about a specific wrestler w/ specific move names you can usually youtube "[Wrestler Name] - top moves" and itll show a list of all their usual or impressive spots. otherwise just youtube specific move names youre curious about like "backbreaker wrestling move" or something to see it and variations on it

I see -- I thought that might be the case. Welp, I guess I'll start from Big Splash and work my way down to Testicular Claw!

E: and it turns out five minutes on youtube pulls up an account that has a list of individual moves. Welp, thanks for the help anyway!

Appoda fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 8, 2016

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

get wwe 2k16 and spend two hours making a moveset for a created wrestler

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Super No Vacancy posted:

yeah this

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

Ha, I thought about that, but I was disappointed that it doesn't have the storyline options the previous game had. Isn't that like, the draw of those games?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'd be lying if I claimed people didn't buy 2014 solely to put Daniel Bryan in a coffin and make Mick Foley mourn him

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I spit on HBK as he was making his entrance at a house show in MI in 1991 which caused him to lose to Bob Backlund in the main event and I think that sums the whole thing up pretty well.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Appoda posted:

Ha, I thought about that, but I was disappointed that it doesn't have the storyline options the previous game had. Isn't that like, the draw of those games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIOrMtQM834

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'd be lying if I claimed people didn't buy 2014 solely to put Daniel Bryan in a coffin and make Mick Foley mourn him

ghosts dont eat

im a ghost