Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I have a newb question.

I've taken missions to hunt down certain people. I've gone to those systems and found those people.

What do I do after that? I don't know how to get in to combat with them. Do I need interdiction gear? It seems odd if I do, only because the missions are basic starter-dude missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

yeah that's the problem

rip vulture, python, corvette, anaconda

good job you solved the mystery :thumbsup:

Nice, I literally just sold my fdl to outfit my python for combat last week.

Well that's 5 mil down the drain to rebuy the FDL hull but at least I will be able to fit a huge fuckoff multicannon on it. Or is it better to fit a huge beam (btw how much for a huge beam?) and 4 medium kinetics?

The vulture is really too slow? I remember it having good boost speed with class A thrusters.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Well Brown Sea Wisdom is:

1.) outfit a ship specifically for RES hunting :downs:
2.) git gud (no further advice given)
3.) use missiles target engines (ignores PDT and EMP also missiles don't do that much damage to engines)
4.) wait for ship launched fighters to track them down. :downs:

So maybe?!

Brown sea wisdom is a pair of mechanical boxing gloves mounted to the underside of your desk, named Risk and Reward. Set to trigger if you successfully kill a PvE ship, accomplish a noncombat objective, or make more profit than your gas bill.

Trying to give feedback is a Sisyphusian task on the forums you have a loving moderator saying he loves the "realism".
I felt a deep kinship at your growing hatred at people throwing around the word "Realism" as a lazy and hypocritical game design excuse.

That poo poo is loving toxic, regardless of what game or what type of game it is. "It's unrealistic and ruins roleplay opportunities for people no longer needing to consult a wiki of scaling weapon prices! Now any casual idiot knows how many glowing bricks of cash they need to throw at me so I can buy a microwave gun from an airdropped 3D printer to fight the 100 year old Cyborg nazi!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 6, 2016

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
While we're at it, let's get a more realistic flight model that renders every ship basically unflyable in any sort of fun manner.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

UCS Hellmaker posted:

So hoping they don't nerf robigo and the rest giving so much money in the beta. It will make the late game grind disappear and bring alot of people back. Make it so the missions scale with rank but keep the 10 to 40 mill payout. But the loving brown sea will scream for a nerf ugh

Yeah, I completely agree with this. The cash grind is loving ridiculous. By comparison, back when Frontier: First Encounters came out, I was able to get myself in a Panther Clipper, the largest ship available in that game, for 2.7 million. That will barely get you a large beam laser in ED.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Shine posted:

While we're at it, let's get a more realistic flight model that renders every ship basically unflyable in any sort of fun manner.

brb calculating if I have enough delta-V to make this maneuver

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

I have a newb question.

I've taken missions to hunt down certain people. I've gone to those systems and found those people.

What do I do after that? I don't know how to get in to combat with them. Do I need interdiction gear? It seems odd if I do, only because the missions are basic starter-dude missions.

If it's an assassination mission, either use an interdictor, or tail them until they drop out. Note that pretty much all assassination missions are against big high tier ships.

If it's something where you rendezvous with someone, they should tell you to follow them, and then you drop out on them after they drop. Those missions are pretty bugged though, so sometimes the NPC doesn't spawn at all.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

What exactly are the changes to combat that have people lamenting the end of RES/bounty hunting in anything but the fastest ships?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Hexenritter posted:

What exactly are the changes to combat that have people lamenting the end of RES/bounty hunting in anything but the fastest ships?

NPCs will run away if you take their shields down, now. Against enemies faster than you this makes fighting a real chore. RIP Federal Gunship.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hexenritter posted:

Ships run when their shields go down.

Using NPC "skill" to go much faster than the majority of Players ships.

So you spend the majority of your time with 4 pips in engines struggling to keep up.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Rectus posted:

If it's an assassination mission, either use an interdictor, or tail them until they drop out. Note that pretty much all assassination missions are against big high tier ships.

If it's something where you rendezvous with someone, they should tell you to follow them, and then you drop out on them after they drop. Those missions are pretty bugged though, so sometimes the NPC doesn't spawn at all.

They're missions like "This guy abandoned his military post" or "a rival gang dude stole our money." They have spawned, I've chased them, but I don't know what to do when I get near them. I don't have an interdictor, but I suppose I can fix that.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

They're missions like "This guy abandoned his military post" or "a rival gang dude stole our money." They have spawned, I've chased them, but I don't know what to do when I get near them. I don't have an interdictor, but I suppose I can fix that.

If you don't have an interdictor, you just have to tail them until they reach their destination and drop out of Supercruise. It will spawn a low wake marker that you can drop out on, just like with a station. It can take a while though depending on their destination. Just hope they didn't pick Hutton Orbital.

(and then you get your rear end kicked by an Anaconda)

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Follow em long enough and they should drop into normal space and you can ride their wake in.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Luneshot posted:

brb calculating if I have enough delta-V to make this maneuver

This would unironically be a cool as gently caress game, as long as there was full (sci-fi) realism, also called Navigational Computers. Because humans simply cannot navigate in space, and especially not at those speeds, but if the game was about full realism with ships that had really high delta-V possibilities, that could make for some really interesting tactical gameplay.

My immediate example/idea base would be the Sci-Fi series "The Expanse" IMDB link and the Peter F. Hamilton The Night's Dawn trilogy. And also Kerbal Space Progam.

The issue with realism is that it's often used as an argument when it really isn't a gameplay mechanic but a genre. Full realism is called a simulation, and while that is fun for a lot of people, it also has to be the central purpose of the game. Because the central purpose/idea/goal/concept of the game is what you bought it for. If someone went and added "more realism" to a game that was never marketed as a simulator just because they thought "more realism" = better then regardless of the result, they've created a flawed product.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
So we finally get big huge pew pew multicannons and the AI flees once their shields are popped? What the heck :(

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 373 days!
NPCs running off is annoying, but not as bad as all that. It makes it harder to nab smaller ships, but if you're punching at around your own weight or above, keeping pace long enough to pop their power plant or engines hasn't seemed very hard to me yet. If you ARE in a massive ship trying to pop a little ship, you ought to have the firepower to get it done regardless.

I don't think it's a good change, but it's not the apocalypse.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

TorakFade posted:

I used to enjoy bounty hunting the most, am I screwed?

Is there a layout that makes you able to still bounty hunt effectively? Money (under 100mil) is not an issue

From my limited testing I'd say the FDL is the absolute slowest ship you should bring to go RES hunting now.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty fresh on the game and really diggin it, gettin comfy enough to sorta feel like I know what I'm doing, Viper mk4 and a few mil in the bank. I stop at a strong signal source, wonder why a solitary salvage thingy floating is enough for a strong source, says AI chip something something so I figure I found something neat. Gang o NPC dudes pops the trap behind me, I'm a dumbass and try to scoop the thingy up before jetting off and RIP 300k.

Daaang that was a straight up first time playin' Dark Souls flashback :aaaaa:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nice piece of fish posted:

My immediate example/idea base would be the Sci-Fi series "The Expanse" IMDB link and the Peter F. Hamilton The Night's Dawn trilogy. And also Kerbal Space Progam.

I've often thought that the next big Space Sim game should be a game set in our solar system with relativistic, but not Faster than Light, travel.

Instead of creating 400 billion systems that are generic and boring you set it here and hand craft everything.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

TRON JEREMY posted:

NPCs running off is annoying, but not as bad as all that. It makes it harder to nab smaller ships, but if you're punching at around your own weight or above, keeping pace long enough to pop their power plant or engines hasn't seemed very hard to me yet. If you ARE in a massive ship trying to pop a little ship, you ought to have the firepower to get it done regardless.

I don't think it's a good change, but it's not the apocalypse.

Arguably it could make combat more balanced in the sense that ships will be able to kill what they're supposed to.

Say a Vulture, with its two large hardpoints, small profile and agility will still be a big ship wrecker, it just won't be able to poo poo all over everything because small ships can escape it.

Likewise a FdL or Clipper will be the best overall choice for general bounty hunting due to good speed, armor, shields and weapons - and still be able to outrun the big hitters if need be.

Cobra, vipers, iEagles and couriers will be able to chase down anything but will struggle to kill big ships due to worse weapons, and risk getting wrecked by pythons and such if they don't disengage fast enough.

Big ships like pythons corvettes and condas will be area control ships, not good for bounty hunting but great at "winning" combat zones and defending their cargo.

I don't know where that leaves slower, mid range ships like the Cobra mk iv, Viper mk III and FAS / FGS / FDS though... God knows the Cobra mk iv was lovely enough before, now it sounds even more of a bad joke especially being an "exclusive" ship slow as a snail and armed with 1 extra small hardpoint vs the mk III :v:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Sara J posted:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=246913&page=22

I'm changing the shield-down behavior, making AI ships more aggressive and fight more. They'll have a random chance to flee, but will flee until out of range or they fall inside your firing cone. They won't flee if your shield is down or low. Hopefully this should make people happier.

REZ-pocalypse averted.

The grognards have been defeated, but they'll soon be back in greater numbers.

TorakFade posted:

Arguably it could make combat more balanced in the sense that ships will be able to kill what they're supposed to.

Say a Vulture, with its two large hardpoints, small profile and agility will still be a big ship wrecker, it just won't be able to poo poo all over everything because small ships can escape it.

Likewise a FdL or Clipper will be the best overall choice for general bounty hunting due to good speed, armor, shields and weapons - and still be able to outrun the big hitters if need be.

Cobra, vipers, iEagles and couriers will be able to chase down anything but will struggle to kill big ships due to worse weapons, and risk getting wrecked by pythons and such if they don't disengage fast enough.

Big ships like pythons corvettes and condas will be area control ships, not good for bounty hunting but great at "winning" combat zones and defending their cargo.

I don't know where that leaves slower, mid range ships like the Cobra mk iv, Viper mk III and FAS / FGS / FDS though... God knows the Cobra mk iv was lovely enough before, now it sounds even more of a bad joke especially being an "exclusive" ship slow as a snail and armed with 1 extra small hardpoint vs the mk III :v:

They really need to fill out or fix the massive gaping hole in ships between the Cobra3/Viper4 and Python/Conda/Clipper/Cutter.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Xae posted:

REZ-pocalypse averted.

The grognards have been defeated, but they'll soon be back in greater numbers.

They really need to fill out or fix the massive gaping hole in ships between the Cobra3/Viper4 and Python/Conda/Clipper/Cutter.

Thank Christ.

I'm all about the harder NPC's but jackrabbiting was not a good idea.

E: of course the brown sea is pissed about it :jerkbag:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 6, 2016

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Thank Christ.

I'm all about the harder NPC's but jackrabbiting was not a good idea.

E: of course the brown sea is pissed about it :jerkbag:

Time Sinks and Inconvenience are the hallmarks of Skill.

SO SAYETH THE BROWN SEA.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Xae posted:

I've often thought that the next big Space Sim game should be a game set in our solar system with relativistic, but not Faster than Light, travel.

Instead of creating 400 billion systems that are generic and boring you set it here and hand craft everything.

Or maybe something Battlestar Galactica-esque with FTL jumps and then just newtonian physics with computers doing the actual G-manouvers. With multi-crew spaceships and the game designed for long term space exploration type stuff that included exploring alien ruins, lost research bases, orbital complexes from long-dead high-tech civilizations (which the universe should be riddled with), with a ship sporting a lab, manufacturing capabilities, etc.

I could see it working. I'd probably have a lot of fun with that, if it were complex and interesting enough. Couldn't be an MMO though, would have to be like 8-man multiplayer at the most. Or the most revolutionary MMO ever.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Rectus posted:

If you don't have an interdictor, you just have to tail them until they reach their destination and drop out of Supercruise. It will spawn a low wake marker that you can drop out on, just like with a station. It can take a while though depending on their destination. Just hope they didn't pick Hutton Orbital.

(and then you get your rear end kicked by an Anaconda)

LCL-Dead posted:

Follow em long enough and they should drop into normal space and you can ride their wake in.

Sweet! Thanks.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Beta finally finished downloading.

As soon as the game starts I get a login failure error. :negative:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Genuinely out of interest, and without wanting to start arguments, isn't the 'realism' thing one of the design decisions you defend?
I ask because the sim aspects of the game (where it actually makes logical sense) are often some of the most satisfying right now - the unintuitive illogical stuff is the annoying stuff.
Also, gf they could make a better drive-disabling mechanic then do we think the new patch would be an overall improvement for bounty hunting given the rest of the Ai changes?

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 7, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I don't know what opinions bad posters have ascribed to me for having the temerity to say "this game isn't poo poo".

Don't really care either.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

I don't know what opinions bad posters have ascribed to me for having the temerity to say "this game isn't poo poo".

I'm going to logic trap you into admitting you want NPCs to flee.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Quick question that was answered before, but I can't find it.

I want to get a FAS space pig. Quickest way to get ranks in Federation?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Man I was with you about the NPC changes being bad but you don't really have a leg to stand on calling anyone else a bad poster.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

limaCAT posted:

what the hell happened here? :stare:
Somehow, it thinks my resupply cost is -76 credits. I guess that wraps around on the main screen.

Luneshot posted:

I need some cold hard numbers on FSD ranges- fully upgraded FSD on exploraconda or explorer Asp build if possible.
Someone on the Frontier forums spitballing based on the existing numbers says the upper range is 48.77 LY in an Exploraconda, or 97.5 LY with boosts.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

magic mountain posted:

Man I was with you about the NPC changes being bad but you don't really have a leg to stand on calling anyone else a bad poster.

okay

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 7, 2016

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

I know picking on a mod isn't really the smartest thing for somebody to do, but you really do have a way of stifling discussion. You're awful quick to roll out hostility instead of just talking about the topic at hand.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

here i'll contribute.

just pretend i posted :frontear: a bunch

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

How will the change affect my FAS I wonder? :( I want to try out the new gigantic multicannons with 2 beams or a pulse and beam to bust shields, but if jerks are just boogeying away I'm kinda boned.

This beta requires Horizons, right? I'd test it myself but Im under the impression you sorta need it.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

here i'll contribute.

just pretend i posted :frontear: a bunch

Thank you for proving my point.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

H13 posted:

Thank you for proving my point.

okay

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Awful lotta people over on those Brown forums saying that the AI is fine and people need to get good.

Real big show.

Got a real big show tonight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Dandywalken posted:

How will the change affect my FAS I wonder? :( I want to try out the new gigantic multicannons with 2 beams or a pulse and beam to bust shields, but if jerks are just boogeying away I'm kinda boned.

This beta requires Horizons, right? I'd test it myself but Im under the impression you sorta need it.
The FAS is quick enough that it can chase most stuff down just fine. It's still super annoying (especially if you're running frags), but not quite as obnoxious as it is in a slower ship.

There's also a 1.6 beta for the people who had beta access for the base game but never bought Horizons for whatever reason. If you bought the game after it came out you will not have access.

• Locked thread