Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

MacheteZombie posted:

Marvel must have considered a success, at least internally, they wanted to keep Norton and when they couldn't get him back, they kept the movie in the MCU anyway.
There's really not much important in the film anyways besides - the Hulk exists. He pissed off General Ross. The Avengers are a thing.

I'm actually kind of glad they recast Banner. I like Ruffalo in the Banner role better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Looking back, I kinda wonder what would be different in The Avengers if Edward Norton had script approval rights.

There'd be a significantly larger amount of Bruce Banner.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Harlock posted:

There's really not much important in the film anyways besides - the Hulk exists. He pissed off General Ross. The Avengers are a thing.

I'm actually kind of glad they recast Banner. I like Ruffalo in the Banner role better.

I agree with the recasting. I'm not a huge Norton fan because he seems very arrogant (based on the stories I've read online so I could be wrong). I do wish Tim Roth would come back as a villain.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Harlock posted:

I think Norton is probably the better actor, but Ruffalo works better as Banner-as-counterpoint-to-Hulk. Norton had a kind of manic, nervous energy, while Ruffalo plays Banner as kind of sadly resigned and just exhausted from constantly fighting against himself.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think Bana, Norton and Ruffalo all did pretty well by the role, even if I don't like the Ang Lee movie (or for that matter the Avengers movies) that much.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh that CGI has not aged well.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Wheeee posted:

After a few glasses of wine I decided that Fant4stic would be acceptable for the evening's entertainment and god drat the final third feels like a different, and far worse, movie. The weird horror-like vibe from the first half of the movie was actually an interesting take on the genre and I was hoping to see it followed through to the end rather than the poorly designed and shot finale it ended up with.

All in all though, not nearly as bad as popular opinion suggests and even with the horribly stupid final act is better than the Avengers movies.

This is one reason I think the film would have been pretty fan-salvageable if you got rid of Doom and replaced him with something like Annihilus or something. A crazy alien bug thing that blows up heads and does strange alien stuff I think would play out a little better. You can put Doom away for a movie or two to let the FF shine and give Doom a film where he gets to have a focus put on him and we're not juggling all the origin stories at one time.

The actual final-final part of the movie feels sort of like an unearned wish fulfillment fantasy, though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I liked Ang Lee's Hulk up until the last 20 minutes or so when they went completely off the rails with their weird twist ending. It's really hard to walk away from that with a positive feeling.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
All I remember is Hulk doing an Olympic shot-put on a tank, which owned.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Hulk also started the trend of hiding insane hints at future MCU movies in obscure ways by having Captain America's frozen body appear for .5 seconds when Hulk is in the Arctic, which went unnoticed for about 6 months.

Having Dr. Strange be a random database entry in Winter Soldier just feels lazy in comparison.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Wasn't it the Russo's who laughed when asked if they knew any of the plots from AoS? I remember there being a quote about the fish oil.

Yes, last year when they were wrapping up the script just before filming started an interviewer asked them if the Inhumans from AoS would figure into Civil War's registration theme and they were like "wait, there's Inhumans everywhere and people get superpowers from fish oil now? wha? We've been kinda busy working on this movie." Combined with the Sony e-mail leaks and other sources we know that Marvel's movie and TV continuity concerns run just about completely bottom-up, and AoS only gets crossover characters whenever the actor deigns to work with television pay and filming.

Burkion posted:

It wasn't that great when it was new either.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

McSpanky posted:

Yes, last year when they were wrapping up the script just before filming started an interviewer asked them if the Inhumans from AoS would figure into Civil War's registration theme and they were like "wait, there's Inhumans everywhere and people get superpowers from fish oil now? wha? We've been kinda busy working on this movie." Combined with the Sony e-mail leaks and other sources we know that Marvel's movie and TV continuity concerns run just about completely bottom-up, and AoS only gets crossover characters whenever the actor deigns to work with television pay and filming.

It wasn't that great when it was new either.

It was actually one of the writer's of Civil War who didn't know about the fish oil, not the Russos.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Has Ruffalo ever considered playing Columbo? He could easily pull off the "Eh, one more thing".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Has Ruffalo ever considered playing Columbo? He could easily pull off the "Eh, one more thing".

He plays Columbo in Spotlight.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He plays Columbo in Spotlight.

Zodiac, too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Zodiac is much more bald about it.

You know what's funny about Zodiac, I remember people saying stuff like "this movie was pretty good. If only JAKE GYLLENHALL wasn't in it!!!"

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I kept seeing Drew Carey's Brother and it kinda took me out of it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Don't see The Invitation then.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Ben Affleck is now an executive producer on Justice League:
http://deadline.com/2016/05/ben-affleck-justice-league-executive-producer-zack-snyder-warner-bros-chris-terrio-1201750654/

Super smart move by WB.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zodiac is much more bald about it.

You know what's funny about Zodiac, I remember people saying stuff like "this movie was pretty good. If only JAKE GYLLENHALL wasn't in it!!!"

The dark days when everyone was still hugely embarrassed by having liked Donnie Darko in high school

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
When will Jake Gyllenhall's superhero get added to the MCU?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
He's already in the X-Verse.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
That picture makes him look really really tall.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Let's take this to its logical conclusion and simply make everything equally canon henceforth.

Mutants in the MCU! Onscreen text can tell you what comic(s) to read, and it'll be nearly as good as seeing Wolverine up there on the screen.

"If you'd like to see what Fantastic Four are up to, press 'pause' now, and turn to page 84."

Star Wars style crawls that catch you up before the movies would unironically be good. You can even sell it as being an adaptation of the short paragraph or so that precedes all Marvel comics.

Save the hyperlinking for the Double Platinum digital collection, with touch screen annotation jumping.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
"Previously, in movies..."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Burkion posted:

Still looked better than Avengers Hulk.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

He was actually considering playing him on the big screen. I think there's a lot of hesitation due in no part to how iconic Peter Falk made the role.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The dark days when everyone was still hugely embarrassed by having liked Donnie Darko in high school

I still like the commentary to that, where Jake makes fun of Richard Kelly (who is maybe like five years older) the entire time.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Still looked better than Avengers Hulk.

For me 03 Hulk looks too much like he goes on a package of frozen vegetables. I dunno, it's hard to describe... like the bottom one would just look like a roided-out Ruffalo if you changed his skin tone to flesh, whereas the top one would be a weird Dreamworks character.

03 is better here, these two are pretty similar.

I've only seen each of these once almost a decade ago though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's OK, only one of them is in a good movie.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

I still like the commentary to that, where Jake makes fun of Richard Kelly (who is maybe like five years older) the entire time.

What about the Directors Cut commentary...with Kevin Smith 👿

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

What about the Directors Cut commentary...with Kevin Smith 👿

I didn't even know that was a thing so joke's on me.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

I didn't even know that was a thing so joke's on me.

Kevin Smith says he thinks the movie wouldn't be popular if it weren't for the scenes where the teachers get yelled at, and he's right!!!

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
What does an executive producer do? I hear all they do is get financing and copyrights. The producer is the one who affects the creative process.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

It's already shooting though, right? isn't everything already written? What will Affleck contribute?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Drifter posted:

It's already shooting though, right? isn't everything already written? What will Affleck contribute?

A lot of stuff can change while on set, I've been on set for a few movies and during the filming for one* I saw the producer, director, writer, and two lead actors workshopping a couple of pages of the script.

*The movie was Stuck On You, if you're curious.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 6, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Electromax posted:

03 is better here, these two are pretty similar.

03 adding the mud for texture was actually a pretty brilliant way to make it more lifelike. 08 poo poo the bed with that plastic looking texture despite being obviously more advanced and detailed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kurzon posted:

What does an executive producer do? I hear all they do is get financing and copyrights. The producer is the one who affects the creative process.

It depends on the movie. In many cases, the executive producer in charge of much of the logistics of the production (see: Ralph Winter on the early Star Trek movies). In other cases, the EP is heavily involved in the creative side (see: Leonard Nimoy on Star Trek VI, because he came up with the entire story). In some cases, an actor gets an EP title because of script approval rights. It's a title that can mean anything that person's contract calls for, really.

In this case, I doubt Affleck is going to be overseeing the money side of the movie, so my guess is this just gives him a little more power to say to Terrio and Snyder, "Hey, let's try this."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

LesterGroans posted:

When will Jake Gyllenhall's superhero get added to the MCU?

He's going to be in the DCEU as Nightwing :colbert:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Phylodox posted:

"Previously, in movies..."

Imagine every Batman and Spider-Man movie giving a short text crawl about dead guardians and how that drives the character. Then never having to see Martha, Thomas, or Ben die ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

John Ennis being in it also threw me through a loop

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 6, 2016

• Locked thread