Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

killstealing posted:

I still don't have a good hold on the Duelist start, especially when you want to do something ranged/with bows. Seems like the best way to go is 2h molten strike until you have some levels for the life passives, then respec or something.

Shrapnel Shot/Rain of Arrows to Lightning Arrow to Blast rain are all good ways to level with bows. Go out the attack speed nodes, get the life armor/ev nodes, then art of the gladiator and more life.

Probably not going to do the the 2 week, just work on leveling and challenges on PHC. If I was I would go ice trap I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I'll probably play my Chin Sol trapper I planned out. I already started the build and finished Cruel labyrinth, though, so it'll be a huge pain to reroll again.

I realized 2 things from leveling to like 60 that I hadn't account for earlier:

1. Rain of Arrows is probably worse than Tornado Shot. This makes the best 6L for the build Tornado Shot - Trap - Cluster Trap - Trap and Mine Damage - GMP - Pierce. I'm using an Infractem right now instead of Chin Sol and using Poison gem over Pierce and it feels incredibly strong in end of Cruel/beginning of Merc.
2. Poison... oh boy poison. So Snakebite was the original plan for this build, and I don't think this build has any real reason to be played over other trappers without free poison. The problem is, Master Sapper does not sustain Frenzy charges at all. Not with 10 second duration and definitely not with the 7 second duration while wearing Snakebite. This means I either have to use manual Frenzy or 3 Jewel sockets on Pacifism, or a straight up Poison link. None of these options sound remotely appealing. Is there any other way to reasonably sustain Frenzy charges as a trapper? I can't use DoT with Southbound to trigger Blood Rage/Poacher's Mark/Blood Dance because I need my glove slot for Snakebite.

So uh, what's the best option here? I imagine it's definitely not "spend 3 Jewel sockets on Pacifism," and using Frenzy every 7 seconds seems poor with no attack speed. That 6L doesn't have any gems I feel like are worth removing for Poison, so do I just not bother with it entirely?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm probably going to roll ice trapper sab, eventually turning in to chaos trapper. Stellaris comes out on Monday so it's pretty much whatever I can get done this weekend and then whenever I'm bored of playing that.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bugsy posted:

Shrapnel Shot/Rain of Arrows to Lightning Arrow to Blast rain are all good ways to level with bows. Go out the attack speed nodes, get the life armor/ev nodes, then art of the gladiator and more life.

Probably not going to do the the 2 week, just work on leveling and challenges on PHC. If I was I would go ice trap I think.

Something like this would be a good start then? I'm just trying to think of a way to get mana without relying on mana/hit gems dropping. Revelry? Life/Mana leech nodes?

Second try: https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscr...uxc7g7vevzF_ro=

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 6, 2016

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Ultima66 posted:

I'll probably play my Chin Sol trapper I planned out. I already started the build and finished Cruel labyrinth, though, so it'll be a huge pain to reroll again.

I realized 2 things from leveling to like 60 that I hadn't account for earlier:

1. Rain of Arrows is probably worse than Tornado Shot. This makes the best 6L for the build Tornado Shot - Trap - Cluster Trap - Trap and Mine Damage - GMP - Pierce. I'm using an Infractem right now instead of Chin Sol and using Poison gem over Pierce and it feels incredibly strong in end of Cruel/beginning of Merc.
2. Poison... oh boy poison. So Snakebite was the original plan for this build, and I don't think this build has any real reason to be played over other trappers without free poison. The problem is, Master Sapper does not sustain Frenzy charges at all. Not with 10 second duration and definitely not with the 7 second duration while wearing Snakebite. This means I either have to use manual Frenzy or 3 Jewel sockets on Pacifism, or a straight up Poison link. None of these options sound remotely appealing. Is there any other way to reasonably sustain Frenzy charges as a trapper? I can't use DoT with Southbound to trigger Blood Rage/Poacher's Mark/Blood Dance because I need my glove slot for Snakebite.

So uh, what's the best option here? I imagine it's definitely not "spend 3 Jewel sockets on Pacifism," and using Frenzy every 7 seconds seems poor with no attack speed. That 6L doesn't have any gems I feel like are worth removing for Poison, so do I just not bother with it entirely?

I never had problems sustaining Frenzy charges on my ice trapper, and that's without any bonus charges and the duration that comes with them. Are you going Sab? Chain Reaction would help slightly.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I started Perandus SC playing a blade vortex character from LiftingNerdBro and ended up quitting because it was so loving boring and I kept dying to Perandus boxes with tons of ranged attackers. I started up again today, and threw an equal level bladefall in my BV slot. Bladefall feels really strong even unoptimized, and definitely has higher survivability against tough-ish Perandus boxes. Can anyone help me retool my tree? I have 10 refund points and 3 regrets. I could buy a few more regrets, but don't want to spend too much. Also interested in help with links or gear or anything else. I guess I just want to selfcast Bladefall and I'm ok it being kinda kludgy, no opinions about poison or not or whatever.

Charname Pinnis: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/malebranche/characters

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I never had problems sustaining Frenzy charges on my ice trapper, and that's without any bonus charges and the duration that comes with them. Are you going Sab? Chain Reaction would help slightly.

I am, and as far as I can tell Chain Reaction makes it worse. I have no Frenzy charge modifiers and from my testing the 15% chance to get a Frenzy charge when a trap is triggered only works on traps enemies actually trigger, and not ones from Chain Reaction. I was actually sustaining them fine BEFORE I picked up Chain Reaction, but don't sustain them any more with Chain Reaction. It's only a real problem because Poison is a huge portion of my damage that I lose entirely with Snakebite unless I have 3 Frenzy charges at all times.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I don't really see how you're not sustaining them then. It's a 15% chance to proc a charge, with Snakebite they'd have 7 second duration. On average you'd have to trigger one trap per second to keep charges going, and I'm assuming Master Sapper's not bugged with Cluster/Multiple Traps. Maybe it's a bug with the Trap gem.

Lektor
May 1, 2013
Hey coming back for the 2 week, any chance of a guild inv for MoSplosionLessProb

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I don't really see how you're not sustaining them then. It's a 15% chance to proc a charge, with Snakebite they'd have 7 second duration. On average you'd have to trigger one trap per second to keep charges going, and I'm assuming Master Sapper's not bugged with Cluster/Multiple Traps. Maybe it's a bug with the Trap gem.

From what I can tell, when you throw a cluster trap at something, with Chain Reaction, you get a single 15% chance to get 1 Frenzy charge for all of them going off, since only 1 of them was triggered by a monster stepping on it. I'll have to try more later.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I'm going to do a caustic arrow deadeye but I'm going to scale the physical attack part instead :sax:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

So I've got my witch in the low 40s and I guess it's about time I try and find out to what degree I've completely missed the mark.

Where I was currently thinking I'd be going next are the two minion...nodes, I guess? off by the leftmost int node I've got selected.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Ultima66 posted:

From what I can tell, when you throw a cluster trap at something, with Chain Reaction, you get a single 15% chance to get 1 Frenzy charge for all of them going off, since only 1 of them was triggered by a monster stepping on it. I'll have to try more later.

Yeah this is my observation too. The traps triggered by chain reaction don't appear to be able to grant frenzy charges, I never once got more than 1 charge per set of traps thrown on my PSC trapper.

Sorta related but a nice easy way to generate power charges if you don't have an existing weapon swap is to have a Jaws of Agony shield with a clustertrap in it, the 25% chance to gain a power charge is additive, so if you throw 4 at once you get a charge, guarenteed.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 7, 2016

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Doesn't it just roll per-trap making it possible to get up to 4 at once w/that?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

nightwisher posted:

Yeah this is my observation too. The traps triggered by chain reaction don't appear to be able to grant frenzy charges, I never once got more than 1 charge per set of traps thrown on my PSC trapper.

Sorta related but a nice easy way to generate power charges if you don't have an existing weapon swap is to have a Jaws of Agony shield with a clustertrap in it, the 25% chance to gain a power charge is additive, so if you throw 4 at once you get a charge, guarenteed.

Holy poo poo I need to do this next league

Prob not the 2wk ruckus, I'm doing other stuff

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Wiki claims that it is multiplicative, not additive. With four at once that's a 175/256 = ~ 2/3 chance of getting at least one power charge

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i think i might kinda hate the labyrinth.

edit: the huge statues make excellent spectres though.

Trebuchet King fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 8, 2016

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

eh he's playing ts, if this is the first time playing reflect mobs are gonna be a bad time in maps :| also things with bubbles (perandus) where you have to hug them to kill them etc, don't get me wrong its good but there's stronger options, like juggernaut

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Trebuchet King posted:

i think i might kinda hate the labyrinth.

edit: the huge statues make excellent spectres though.

Lab isn't awful once you're used to the traps. It's still pretty annoying though, and I'm certainly not willing to run it repeatedly looking for enchants, which is kinda disappointing, since the enchants can be fairly powerful.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Katasi posted:

Lab isn't awful once you're used to the traps. It's still pretty annoying though, and I'm certainly not willing to run it repeatedly looking for enchants, which is kinda disappointing, since the enchants can be fairly powerful.

It's awful if you're CI or hybrid.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

redwalrus posted:

eh he's playing ts, if this is the first time playing reflect mobs are gonna be a bad time in maps :| also things with bubbles (perandus) where you have to hug them to kill them etc, don't get me wrong its good but there's stronger options, like juggernaut

Fwiw I always pair ts with puncture trap, for exactly those two reasons

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
what's a fast, effective labyrinth runner build?

my guess is that a 1h sword is mandatory to be able to use both Leap Slam and Whirling Blades

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Also you can't leap over sharp stuff without taking damage even if you don't touch the thing, watch out

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

> Game Over

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

TheRat posted:

> Game Over

Needs to be a way to set this as the death sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09s-c2JVI40

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

TheRat posted:

> Game Over

But your demigod..!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ronya posted:

my guess is that a 1h sword is mandatory to be able to use both Leap Slam and Whirling Blades

Afaik you can go by with very high movement speed too, and use blink arrow/lightning warp to close gaps.

Seven League Steps are a must, obv

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

TheRat posted:

> Game Over

RIP. :(

Todo88
Apr 16, 2016

TheRat posted:

> Game Over

rip bro

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I'm tired of playing as a ranger

my reave duelist just died in hc

and i'm tired of the beginning of the game. dang.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

ronya posted:

You shouldn't be using any movement skills except to go over obstacles. The only option to speedrun Labyrinth is movespeed, WB is a joke. The actual good build for Labyrinth:

Ascendancy - Pathfinder Ranger, Nature's Adrenaline, Nature's Boon, Master Herbalist

Skill tree - Take every point of movement speed, evasion rating, and flask effect you can. Also get all the major nodes that double dip on poison Bladefall mines. Also make sure to get Pain Attunement and some aura effect nodes. Ignore all life except Heart of Oak (it helps you not get slowed down by random hits). Get the ES/Evasion hybrid clusters, you will be running as low life with only the ES from Discipline to not die with.

Gear - Devoto's Devotion, Ichimonji, 2000+ evasion shield, Queen of the Forest, Karui Ward, 2x Lori's Lantern, Ondar's Clasp, Seven-League Steps. Belt should have flask duration/-flask charges used on it.

Skills - Flame Dash or Leap Slam to get over obstacles. Phase Run - Increased Duration - Enhance to go through everything, which is the main reason you need +buff effect and skill duration. Reserves should be Blood Magic + Discipline to give yourself some life pool, and Grace + Empower on your mana. Obviously if Enhance or Grace or Empower are corrupted to +1 level, or Phase run is 23% quality, all the better. Your damage will come from Bladefall - Remote Mine - Minefield - Trap and Mine Damage - Controlled Destruction - (Concentrated Effect). With all mines down this setup should be able to instantly kill each Izaro phase, poison will be free from Master Herbalist.

Flasks - 2 +Duration +Movespeed Quicksilvers, some combination of +evasion Jade/Stibnites and whatever else you feel like. Make sure to have a bleed flask for traps, other statuses shouldn't matter.

If you need a reference look at this guy's profile: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/PAJAMAMONSTER/characters. He was dominating the Lab leaderboards every day in Standard and Perandus SC before he stopped running. His Pathfinders are both Lab runners, and his times were consistently like 40 seconds faster than the next fastest person.

Todo88
Apr 16, 2016

Not quite the leveling monster that Rat is, but losing a level 52 always stings. Especially when you kill the mob just after it kills you.

Todo88 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 9, 2016

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

And that's why you never get within melee range of that vaal boss.

Same advice applies to Ch'aska in the library/archives, except 'within visual range'.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Moddington posted:

except 'within visual range'.

I prefer 'within network range'. Back in the day you'd just log off if you even suspected she was close.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
To butcher an old quote, you don't have to be far away from the boss, you just have to be further away than the nearest body. :v: I've lost count how many times having an ablative layer of summons saved my nightgown-wearing butt.

(Yes, I'm looking to replace my tabula. For what I dunno. What should I be looking for in an endgame suit of body wear?)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pooncha posted:

To butcher an old quote, you don't have to be far away from the boss, you just have to be further away than the nearest body. :v: I've lost count how many times having an ablative layer of summons saved my nightgown-wearing butt.

(Yes, I'm looking to replace my tabula. For what I dunno. What should I be looking for in an endgame suit of body wear?)

Corrupt a bunch of armorer strong boxes starting in act 3 cruel, hope you get a 6l not-a-t-shirt with decent colors and defenses you use that way.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Alright, my skill tree is basically where it's going to be for the endgame now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu-WDyvO8gY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP6yoYwk2ro

It's a fun build. I don't think it does enough damage, but it's still pretty cool. Excuse the quality on the Weaver video, I didn't realize my OBS was scaling down the video resolution and I using a bad bitrate.

Todo88
Apr 16, 2016

Moddington posted:

And that's why you never get within melee range of that vaal boss.

Same advice applies to Ch'aska in the library/archives, except 'within visual range'.

It was my first time encountering that boss, so I'll chalk it up to inexperience. Good to know for next time though.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I'm looking to either split the cost of buying a vaal temple with someone, or to buy a spot in a vaal temple map if someone has one already (or two spots, a friend of mine needs it also). It's one of the last few challenges I need. If anyone is interested in this pm me here or message me ingame

I'm on perandus SC, my quakelord marauder is named WeedGoku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Whats the best way to get 8 mod maps? Should I be vaaling rare maps or just anything?

• Locked thread