Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Yes he is. That really makes me wonder if it's really a joke anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Yes he is. That really makes me wonder if it's really a joke anymore?
It's a loooong story...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wdunM5XZwo

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

McDowell posted:

I wonder what kind of weird 1984 technoslavery we'll have once the whole country is digital native.

:lol: You act like people aren't already technoslaves, look at the number of idiots tethered to a smartphone 24/7, whether it's personal or work. Browse the web on your phone, talk on your phone, text while driving/eating/watching movies/etc. And that doesn't even get into the realm of addiction to electronic games by people who have no lives. People are slaves to tech and either don't realize it, or don't care...not sure which is more scary, honestly.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Ozz81 posted:

:lol: You act like people aren't already technoslaves, look at the number of idiots tethered to a smartphone 24/7, whether it's personal or work. Browse the web on your phone, talk on your phone, text while driving/eating/watching movies/etc. And that doesn't even get into the realm of addiction to electronic games by people who have no lives. People are slaves to tech and either don't realize it, or don't care...not sure which is more scary, honestly.

I almost never play computer games or any games really ever these days, but hoo boy didnt my wife like to get on my case about being starved of attention when I would be playing battlefield or something, meanwhile she is and has always been glued to her phone. I never saw them as different but she definitely does.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

EX250 Type R posted:

I almost never play computer games or any games really ever these days, but hoo boy didnt my wife like to get on my case about being starved of attention when I would be playing battlefield or something, meanwhile she is and has always been glued to her phone. I never saw them as different but she definitely does.

Same thing here... I think it's not a conscious act on her part, but if my wife's fooling around on her phone and I pick up mine, she'll put hers down and then want attention.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

No one likes to be ignored, and still using the smartphone is perceived like willfull detachment from surrounding people.

I'm reading Generation 64, a really great book about Commodore's reign in Sweden and people being influenced by it, and on nearly every page there is a mention that computers were often another way to meet and socialize with other geeks, forming computer clubs and demoparties, just to know new people with shared interest of toying with the computer. Nowadays everyone has a computer in their pocket, social media are all the rage, yet it seems there are more trouble because of it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

oohhboy posted:

Since we are talking about bad MS decision making, Windows 10 pro will not be allowed to block the Windows 10 Store. Microsoft said it had made the change "by design".

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36226372

Keep trying to pinch those pennies.

Oh that is amazing. I can hear the collective groans of every IT department across the country, I can feel the wind generated by the shaking of heads

I'm guessing there's still got to be some way to block it, maybe via AD policy or... something? I guess they could block it at the network level maybe, like people block the telemetry stuff. What a pain though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

laserghost posted:

No one likes to be ignored, and still using the smartphone is perceived like willfull detachment from surrounding people.

I'm reading Generation 64, a really great book about Commodore's reign in Sweden and people being influenced by it, and on nearly every page there is a mention that computers were often another way to meet and socialize with other geeks, forming computer clubs and demoparties, just to know new people with shared interest of toying with the computer. Nowadays everyone has a computer in their pocket, social media are all the rage, yet it seems there are more trouble because of it.

When having a computer was a quirk of some hobbyists, you could socialize around it. Nowadays it's not a hobby, it's not interesting, it's just the norm, and you can drown in the sheer volume of information being exchanged on a casual basis.

Also in the past you had to physically exchange information if you wanted to deal with fellow enthusiasts. Even if you just mailed floppies around or whatever, it was still more intimate and social than the fully electronic communication you have today.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ozz81 posted:

You're just getting old. If you had been born in the 1800s you'd be ranting about how those darn newspapers are ruining society because everyone on the train has their face buried in one instead of going out of their way to entertain you having real conversations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guy Mann posted:

You're just getting old. If you had been born in the 1800s you'd be ranting about how those darn newspapers are ruining society because everyone on the train has their face buried in one instead of going out of their way to entertain you having real conversations.

This is the worst argument ever.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Really though, how is sending a box "more social" than instant worldwide communication? It's more personal, maybe. Intimate, ok sure. You could even make an argument for it being "better" in a quality sense but I don't see "more" as an option there.

Yeah I used to send letters too. You're basically talking to the letter itself, not the person. It's nice that you end up with a box of old letters, but you can read an IM log too if you want. IM gets you closer to the actual person in a real conversation anyway, since there's less "what should I say" downtime involved. You talk to nearly the real live person instead of a frozen-in-time, prepared image of a person.

Perhaps the magic of "oh poo poo another idiot into the same idiot stuff I am!" is gone these days but eh.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

steinrokkan posted:

This is the worst argument ever.

Why? If people aren't staring at their phones, they will be reading a newspaper or a book or silently looking out a window. People don't talk to each other and never have.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

Why? If people aren't staring at their phones, they will be reading a newspaper or a book or silently looking out a window. People don't talk to each other and never have.

A book or a newspaper isn't a bottomless rabbit hole of data.

Though my point was that dismissing an argument just because something similar was said in the past is lazy and dumb.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

A book or a newspaper isn't a bottomless rabbit hole of data.

Though my point was that dismissing an argument just because something similar was said in the past is lazy and dumb.

"Stupid millennials buried in their phones" is a stupid argument made by old people who hate anything new. People have been finding ways to ignore the people around them since the dawn of time. Complaining that the current young people use the latest technology to do what everyone has always done is idiotic. Technology isn't to blame for societies ills any more than the written word itself is.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i just wanted to make it clear, not that i really should have to justify myself to somebody who thinks windows 10 is good, but i was talking about the frontend/ui aspects of it. os are hard to make and there is some good stuff under the hood but who gives a poo poo when the only way to drive it is through consistently terrible, non-unified gui?

that's the reason so many people like os x.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Hey maybe there is a reason literally everyone around the world, regardless of age, ethnicity, culture, and creed complain about how everybody got they noses glued to a telephone screen. Maybe there is something about that we find repellent, in how it is fundamentally altering the way we communicate with each other. Maybe people find these changes unpleasant and undesirable.....but we can't change it, we are being swallowed up in the gaping maw of change and we ourselves are part-and-parcel of this very change. Maybe... just maybe.. the world isn't the better for being able to instantly google image search a picture of rasputin's weird penis or being able to play anger birds or watch a movie or whatever.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The Something Awful Forums > GBS 4.1 > Computer Relics: Windows 10 and the Human Condition

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

"Stupid millennials buried in their phones" is a stupid argument made by old people who hate anything new. People have been finding ways to ignore the people around them since the dawn of time. Complaining that the current young people use the latest technology to do what everyone has always done is idiotic. Technology isn't to blame for societies ills any more than the written word itself is.

People and technology, you must be critical of the latter if you want to inspire a critical approach in the former.

Also let starwar drop the truth bomb

8 track betamax posted:

Hey maybe there is a reason literally everyone around the world, regardless of age, ethnicity, culture, and creed complain about how everybody got they noses glued to a telephone screen. Maybe there is something about that we find repellent, in how it is fundamentally altering the way we communicate with each other. Maybe people find these changes unpleasant and undesirable.....but we can't change it, we are being swallowed up in the gaping maw of change and we ourselves are part-and-parcel of this very change. Maybe... just maybe.. the world isn't the better for being able to instantly google image search a picture of rasputin's weird penis or being able to play anger birds or watch a movie or whatever.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Light Gun Man posted:

Really though, how is sending a box "more social" than instant worldwide communication? It's more personal, maybe. Intimate, ok sure. You could even make an argument for it being "better" in a quality sense but I don't see "more" as an option there.

Yeah I used to send letters too. You're basically talking to the letter itself, not the person. It's nice that you end up with a box of old letters, but you can read an IM log too if you want. IM gets you closer to the actual person in a real conversation anyway, since there's less "what should I say" downtime involved. You talk to nearly the real live person instead of a frozen-in-time, prepared image of a person.

Perhaps the magic of "oh poo poo another idiot into the same idiot stuff I am!" is gone these days but eh.

When my grandma died, my dad went on a quest to unearth all the hidden relics of her life, all the old photos from her youth, all the scraps of genealogy he could scrape together. He found boxes of old letters and postcards that she and her friends had habitually sent each other throughout their first few decades. Without exception they all went like this:

quote:

Dear Mildred,

I received your letter of June 16. Thank you for writing me. The weather here has been fine. Mother and Betty and the boys are all well. How are Joseph and the baby? Please write back as soon as you get this.

Best, Jane

This was the midwest in the 30s but still. Boxes and boxes and boxes

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Were there any lithographs of boobs?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Data Graham posted:

When my grandma died, my dad went on a quest to unearth all the hidden relics of her life, all the old photos from her youth, all the scraps of genealogy he could scrape together. He found boxes of old letters and postcards that she and her friends had habitually sent each other throughout their first few decades. Without exception they all went like this:

This was the midwest in the 30s but still. Boxes and boxes and boxes

Of course these letters were banal as gently caress. But in the end you got functional long-distance friendships. With forums and Twitter you get - and yes, this is a hyperbole! - goonmeets, shitposters and trolls.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Of course these letters were banal as gently caress. But in the end you got functional long-distance friendships. With forums and Twitter you get - and yes, this is a hyperbole! - goonmeets, shitposters and trolls.

If you've never been able to form a lasting friendship with someone over the internet then maybe that might be a personal problem :shrug:

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

ishikabibble posted:

If you've never been able to form a lasting friendship with someone over the internet then maybe that might be a personal problem :shrug:

I consider all 14 posters left in GBS to be my only friends.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Oh poo poo, we're in GBS right now?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

8 track betamax posted:

I consider all 14 posters left in GBS to be my only friends.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

steinrokkan posted:

A goonmeet - even the horrid worst-case ones - is more social than a postcard saying "weather nice, huband still dead".

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I can't SMS a fart, but thanks to tupperware and the finest drat postal service on the planet, I can snail mail a fart.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

8 track betamax posted:

Maybe... just maybe.. the world isn't the better for being able to instantly google image search a picture of rasputin's weird penis
Now that's just crazy talk.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Germstore posted:

I can't SMS a fart, but thanks to tupperware and the finest drat postal service on the planet, I can snail mail a fart.

Both I and a former coworker of mine who lives across the country were bought an apple watch by our employers when it came out. His first reaction to any kind of mobile tech is "hey, I can do xyz while I take a dump!"

The apple watch can send someone your heartbeat with vibrations. He told me he was going to send me his heartbeat while he took a poo poo.

A few weeks later I was sitting in a meeting at work and felt an unsolicited th-thump, th-thump, th-thump. I soon realized what this meant.

This is how I know humanity's best work is being wasted on its worst generation

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Guy Mann posted:

To be honest if you were in the 1800's you'd more than likely be having the paper read out to you in a pub if you weren't literate enough yourself.
However if you were looking for the fear of social decay via new technology (which is a very old theme) there's a cartoon somewhere of a couple sitting under a tree having conversations with each other by telegram - the implication was that people would be lured in by the convenience of shorthand messages that they'd not talk to each other in person.

Speed and the lack of detail was a concern as well.

quote:

Superficial, sudden, unsifted, too fast for the truth, must be all telegraphic intelligence. Does it not render the popular mind too fast for the truth? Ten days bring us the mails from Europe. What need is there for the scraps of news in ten minutes? How trivial and paltry is the telegraphic column?"

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Sir_Charles posted:

windows 10 is fine you nerds

This needs to be the word filter to every yospos post

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean here, just read these

http://donteatthefruit.com/2013/06/the-pace-of-modern-life-and-the-loss-of-letter-writing-circa-1900/

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Regular Nintendo posted:

Both I and a former coworker of mine who lives across the country were bought an apple watch by our employers when it came out. His first reaction to any kind of mobile tech is "hey, I can do xyz while I take a dump!"

The apple watch can send someone your heartbeat with vibrations. He told me he was going to send me his heartbeat while he took a poo poo.

A few weeks later I was sitting in a meeting at work and felt an unsolicited th-thump, th-thump, th-thump. I soon realized what this meant.

This is how I know humanity's best work is being wasted on its worst generation

I laughed way too hard at this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The highest tech anyone needs on the bog is over fifty years old.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Lowen SoDium posted:

Windows 10 Pro is not for professionals. Thanks for clearing that up, Microsoft.

It makes a little sense to me: install Pro if the person using the PC is a pro and doesn't need help to not break their PC, whereas locking down a PC seems enterprisey. You just have to think of "enterprise" as "business", not "large business", which I guess isn't what I'm used to.

As a pro - not at Windows 10, admittedly, but at lots of other PC stuff - I don't need to be able to stop myself or my wife from accessing the store. I wish there was an option like this somewhere:

[X] Whatever the gently caress you're doing in the background that makes my PC run really slow, stop it, I don't care how important you think it is. Don't make me spend ages Googling all these registry and Group Policy changes.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The best thing in life is having a computer class in 10'th grade on desktops that really were well locked down for the time with Novell and something called Fortres that kept you from switching outside the allowed file extensions, but then finding a link to 16 bit winfile.exe somewhere in the Office 97 helpfiles and proceeding to spend all day errday with sweet sweet Netscape 4.0

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

8 track betamax posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV0wTtiJygY

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Pretty much, the one thing that has never changed over the generations is bitching about new things, about kids these days, and about how technology is cheapening life and the human experience. The kids today are going to be saying the same poo poo about holographic virtual reality or direct neural interfaces or whatever.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

I say a variation of this so many times at work every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

steinrokkan posted:

I dunno, I'm an expat and FB is allowing me to keep friendships alive pretty easily. When I went back home for a visit, I had plans set up for half the time I was there in just a few minutes of messaging. And, the entire reason I became an expat is through friends I met on a forum (not this one).

Also, Twitter isn't a social network, it's a *broadcast* medium. It's great for breaking news, curating 'listening posts' to get great examples of different points of view delivered to you, and in general, finding good stuff. It's also great for finding worthless poo poo because Sturgeon's law, so it takes a bit of work.

You might just be bad at life. Or twenty and whining about being 'an old, old soul' to us real old fucks who are trying hard not to laugh.