Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

4th win again, this time by over half an hour :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

apple posted:

Gentle reminder for those who care: create your accounts in all new servers so that people can't grief your accounts on the event you get a streak.

Ha! I'm immune to griefing!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

So on the topic of pakellas abuse: I just found another early antimagic weapon. If I'm at like 1/3 mp and I swap to it and artificially lower my max mp, does that improve my mp/maxmp ratio and give me better charge efficiency, or am I just fooling myself?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

resistentialism posted:

So on the topic of pakellas abuse: I just found another early antimagic weapon. If I'm at like 1/3 mp and I swap to it and artificially lower my max mp, does that improve my mp/maxmp ratio and give me better charge efficiency, or am I just fooling myself?

You get less charges if your max MP is lower. Note that this does not matter if you are a deep dwarf and are abusing the fact that recharge will always give you at least one charge back, even with only 1 MP, to top off your healing wand (this does cost piety eventually).

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Ha! I'm immune to griefing!

:same:

what are they going to do, somehow fail even more times than i can myself?

impossible

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

code:
You see here the +6 shillelagh "Devastator" {shatter}.
_M - the +6 shillelagh "Devastator" {shatter}
_Wield which item (- for none, * to show all)? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
 Time to lay down the shillelagh law.
_M - the +6 shillelagh "Devastator" (weapon) {shatter}
Looks like this ogre's in the bag :getin:

I have a +5 ring of slaying to go along with it as well.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 7, 2016

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

CJR console is broken and puts you in 0.17 even if you select 0.18

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Floodkiller posted:

4th win again, this time by over half an hour :negative:

Jesus, Floodkiller. I'm at work right now, but still, go team Crawl of Duty! I don't think I even could finish a game in what, about 2 hours?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Wolfechu posted:

Jesus, Floodkiller. I'm at work right now, but still, go team Crawl of Duty! I don't think I even could finish a game in what, about 2 hours?

I got really lucky with the stairs placement on Depths and Zot, but I still didn't beat my best time of 1:53:01 and 42k turns from last tournament (and I still missed top 3 that time by 15 minutes or so). I think I might have wasted too much time doing Orc, in retrospect.

E: Although I did have a +9 vamp exec axe for that game. This time I only had a +9 venom exec axe for the majority until I got a +6 freeze exec artifact right before Zot.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Floodkiller posted:

I got really lucky with the stairs placement on Depths and Zot, but I still didn't beat my best time of 1:53:01 and 42k turns from last tournament (and I still missed top 3 that time by 15 minutes or so). I think I might have wasted too much time doing Orc, in retrospect.

E: Although I did have a +9 vamp exec axe for that game. This time I only had a +9 venom exec axe for the majority until I got a +6 freeze exec artifact right before Zot.

Even so, my fastest time for a game was apparently my last win, and THAT was 3:13.26. I'm... not a speed player ;)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

resistentialism posted:

new server has nonstandard default lang

you should probably check out the homepage to get a feel for what the server is really about.

(and take a peek at the 404 page while you're there)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why do people still play console what advantages could it possibly have over webtiles at this point (other than increased smugness capacity)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Tollymain posted:

why do people still play console what advantages could it possibly have over webtiles at this point (other than increased smugness capacity)

some folks have been playing console roguelikes for 30 years and it is legitimately easier for them

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Wolfechu posted:

Even so, my fastest time for a game was apparently my last win, and THAT was 3:13.26. I'm... not a speed player ;)

Honestly, I've played so many pure melee characters (even when it would be better to grab at least some form of ranged combat) that I've mostly ingrained what's dangerous and what isn't by reflex. MiBe just makes it even easier to blur the line and just go "Eh, Trog's Hand+Berserk, maybe a BiA" at first glance. From there it's mostly o+tab+a bit of gambling until the rune endings, Depths, and Zot.

Also, DEVASTATOR is up to +11 slaying, get hosed everything :fuckoff:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Tollymain posted:

UberJew posted:

some folks have been playing console roguelikes for 30 years and it is legitimately easier for them
even for people that haven't once you're used to console you can interpret the screen much more quickly, and the 99.999% of the time that you don't care which o has a trident makes up for the few xv's you have to do.

Plus, qwarf jokes.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

quote:

Kirke points at you and mumbles some strange words.
Your +3 warlock's mirror {reflect} reflects the Porkalator!
Kirke evaporates and reforms as a hog!
You spit Kirke like the proverbial pig!!!

lol, great item

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

you should probably check out the homepage to get a feel for what the server is really about.

(and take a peek at the 404 page while you're there)

hmmm I was OK with being spooked but bebe has turned me off exploring this further

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Tollymain posted:

Play offline and/or speed of play and/or you just like how ASCII looks. There's something that just appeals to me about it. Makes me feel like a Hollywood hacker.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Webtiles would probably get me to slow the gently caress down in my play and would result in more wins but I gotta go fast.

Plus I can sneak in play during work without it looking suspicious.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

bitcoin bastard posted:

DDFi of Pakellas is officially OP once you get past the temple. Evo +3 means you can get your wand/rod shots powerful early, plus it also means Pak will turn ~30 max MP into ~4 heal/haste/tele charges or enough on your other wands.

As much as it hurts me to say this, PleasingFungas you might need to rebalance Pak or maybe DD of Pak specifically. The guaranteed 1 charge for 1MP on quick charge is pretty easy to exploit for heal wand charges and the piety hit is negligible because Pak has no piety abilities past *** once you supercharge a rod.

Please don't ask the devs to nerf good and fun things, they're way too likely to actually do it - the game is already ludicrously hard for most of us!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its pointless to nerf anything related to DD because a DD of Mahkleb is always gonna be the closest thing to easy mode in Crawl.

DD is a terribly flawed species from a balance perspective.

VVV DD is flawed as a species because they are either comically overpowered or insanely weak.

The lack of HP regen just doesn't work in Crawl. Even with damage shaving, you will be worn down over time. A DD needs to follow a god that grants them access to some form of healing. So they are extremely limited in what builds are actually viable for them. A bunch of gods can't be followed without the game being insanely hard.

As soon as you do follow one of those gods though, things are suddenly way easier. Starting with a wand of heal wounds is really good when its not your only source of healing. The damage shaving means they are really hard to die as. A DD of Mahkleb can just focus on fighting skills and invocations and cruise to an easy win.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 7, 2016

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Its pointless to nerf anything related to DD because a DD of Mahkleb is always gonna be the closest thing to easy mode in Crawl.

DD is a terribly flawed species from a balance perspective.

How so? I've never come close to doing anything with one...

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

DD have this ugly early game hump once monsters start actually doing damage but before your piety gets rolling, where you have to hope your HW/mana lasts and play extra cautiously. Once you get over that DD are really strong.

They're also the least fun race to play as IMO.

Seven Deadly Sins
Apr 5, 2009

I stole something that would make me fabulously wealthy...

But I eated it.
I could use a clan for this one, if there are any goons that'll have me.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Hey hyperbowl, congratulations on your win. Time for me to splat some more characters.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
After some typical splats, got a really good DeCj going with some good mutation and pretty good gear luck. Got swamp, did elf, doing snake. Hopefully I don't crash and burn hard like I usually do.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
So dead
_C - the ring of Dim Light (right hand) {rElec rF+ EV+5 Int-2 Stlth+}

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Hey hyperbowl, congratulations on your win. Time for me to splat some more characters.
Thanks! When Trog gives you one of these you have to make it count:
a - the +7 executioner's axe "Uriet" (weapon) {vamp, rElec Str+3} (Trog gifted it to you on level 4 of the Swamp)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Does staff acquirement no longer give rods? Or have I just been supremely unlucky?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Four scrolls of acquirement, two haste wands, and completed Ice Cave, Volcano, and Labyrinth, all before getting a rune.

This can't go wrong at all. :shepface:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Haifisch posted:

Four scrolls of acquirement, two haste wands, and completed Ice Cave, Volcano, and Labyrinth, all before getting a rune.

This can't go wrong at all. :shepface:

I'd say "don't die to hubris" but you're a gargoyle so lol

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

odiv posted:

Does staff acquirement no longer give rods? Or have I just been supremely unlucky?
The chance is related to your evo skill versus spell schools, with 100% chance of a rod if Trog is your god. How unlucky have you been so far?

It's basically (80% of evo)/(total of spell skills)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

3 scrolls, 0 rods.

0 magic skills of any kind. Almost 20 evo now, but I've been trying for one since about 15.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

odiv posted:

3 scrolls, 0 rods.

0 magic skills of any kind. Almost 20 evo now, but I've been trying for one since about 15.

Looks like 0 magic skill and non-zero evo skill gives about an 80% chance per-acq of a rod. Bad luck to roll the 1/5 chance three times in a row, but not unheard of!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Managed to get the first TrMo win. :toot:

Edilaic
Jul 10, 2008

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Since it seems no one has done this yet, then I suppose the duty falls upon me. By ancient tradition, I am now announcing the SA ogreteam Ogrecoming Adversity. This is the team for ogres. It is the team for people who like to crush things as hard as possible with tree trunks and smash them with big rocks. Do you like crushing? Do you like smashing? Then please join this team! Do you like seeing (rather, in the spirit of Crawl I should say, "vaguely guessing at") very large damage numbers, completely without regard for efficiency? If so, then please join this team! Do you like having a huge pile of hit points and losing them extremely quickly? Please join! Do you like a complex, rewarding play style that encourages careful strategic decisions and offers surprisingly versatile and powerful characters that still die instantly because they have no defense? Then get big, get fat, and become an ogre today!

Ogrecoming Adversity does not discriminate on the basis of Crawl experience or skill. Players of all levels are welcome. Our only request is that you be the biggest, fattest, burliest ogre possible. Nerdy spellcasting ogres are just as welcome as big dumb ogre berserkers, as long as you remember that as an ogre, your holy duty in this world is to crush and smash.

Becoming an Ogre is associated with certain health risks such as terminally low AC and EV. Therefore, ogres that are hacked to pieces by ugly snake people or foul fish people are still considered successful ogres. Ogres attain to glory by their big, fat, muscular bodies and by smashing and crushing, not by retrieving the Orb of Zot. Thus, though it goes without saying, Ogrecoming Adversity is not a team for people who play for points.

If you feel bigness, fatness, smashing and crushing are your calling in your Crawl life, then please add this line to your a relevant RC file:

# TEAMCAPTAIN huiren

Right now I am the only lonely, but still huge, fat and powerful ogre on the team. I greatly look forward to more ogresisters and ogrebrothers who would like to smash and crush together with me.

If there's still space, I'll buy into my true destiny as a giant wall of ogreness.

#TEAMMEMBERS Edilaic

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Welp, I died by mashing blink around a death cob (I don't remember them being this deadly) and tentacled horror instead of using a blink scroll or something.

Lol.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

LogicNinja posted:

Welp, I died by mashing blink around a death cob (I don't remember them being this deadly) and tentacled horror instead of using a blink scroll or something.

Lol.

Death cobs went from being a joke enemy to actually being kinda dangerous because their hits drain speed and slow you and THEN they also steal satiation from you really quickly so its possible to starve to death while fighting one before actually dying to it or killing it.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

They took out the hunger attack and replaced it with a slowing attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I just had the Wrath of Trog spawn in V:5 in the two games I had a chance to go there, haha.

• Locked thread