Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Nice to see my old school friend lasted until stage 4 in the 'Cannabis is Safer than Alcohol' party.

The Conservative was out in the first stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Marenghi posted:

Why would you return? I couldn't see myself coming back once I have the experience to work abroad.

I have a sick aunt and I want to help with the family. I'm also taking the opportunity to go back into college. I'm not a Canadian citizen so if I wanted to go into third level here it would cost me way too loving much.

My plan is to be back in Canada as soon as loving possible.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Alex Attwood squeaks in 89 votes ahead of the DUP

In West Belfast

He was almost beaten by the DUP in West Belfast

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Cabinet posted:

I have a sick aunt and I want to help with the family. I'm also taking the opportunity to go back into college. I'm not a Canadian citizen so if I wanted to go into third level here it would cost me way too loving much.

My plan is to be back in Canada as soon as loving possible.

Sorry to hear about your aunt.

I'm glad I used the recession to get a useful degree. Though the constant cuts to the BTEA and rising cost of living made it a difficult challenge.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I wonder which is worse: Ireland or a Trump America, because after my degree is done I'll probably move to be with my boyfriend and get those sweet Bay Area IT bucks

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

McCann elected in Foyle for PBP :toot:

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
SDLP were in the running for a seat in Strangford for a second there. That's not something I ever thought I'd say. Things are strange.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Marenghi posted:

Sorry to hear about your aunt.

I'm glad I used the recession to get a useful degree. Though the constant cuts to the BTEA and rising cost of living made it a difficult challenge.

Thank you.

I should have went to college before leaving for Canada but I wasn't mentally ready for it yet and dropped out of two different courses. I think this time I will be able to do it. Not looking forward to the student cost life though.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Forums Terrorist posted:

I wonder which is worse: Ireland or a Trump America, because after my degree is done I'll probably move to be with my boyfriend and get those sweet Bay Area IT bucks

I hope you have a lot of savings to move, as that place is hella expensive to live.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

happyhippy posted:

I hope you have a lot of savings to move, as that place is hella expensive to live.

Agreed. I tried moving there in 2011 and I lasted 3 months because of costs and because I couldn't secure a job.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Forums Terrorist posted:

Oh my god this hyperbole.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yes it is so hard to get a well paying IT job in Ireland.

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012
IMO there's a non-zero chance Michael O'Leary becomes Taoiseach on a "Make Ireland Great Again" platform within the next few years so I wouldn't pack your bags just yet.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
"Make Ireland Great Again"? Did I miss the first time around?

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012

Bryter posted:

O'Leary will lead, uh, Renua I guess on the platform of taking the country back to a time when this book sold for for 20 quid.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bryter posted:

Make Ireland Grand Again

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Still love how Renua we're entirely wiped out. All they have is like 10 local council seats I believe.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Cabinet posted:

Still love how Renua we're entirely wiped out. All they have is like 10 local council seats I believe.

With regressive social and regressive economic policies I think they ticked every awful option possible. That was one outcome of the election that made a lot of people quite happy, I think. A small victory for progress in Ireland.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Much better than the projected 6 seats they were supposed to have. They did qualify for funding in the next election though which is bleh. They'll be around for another cycle yet.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

So do we think the momentum for a referendum on the 8th will keep going now that the chances of it happening within the next two years has pretty much been ruled out or will other issues push it down the agenda

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

kustomkarkommando posted:

So do we think the momentum for a referendum on the 8th will keep going now that the chances of it happening within the next two years has pretty much been ruled out or will other issues push it down the agenda

I have hope for it. They have made great headway in the last few years. I do realise it is very unlikely however. Both FF and FG will want to play it super safe.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

If Labour make a big push for a referendum on the 8th I think it'll get interesting. FF/FG both seem to be coming around to the realization that its a big issue for people under 40. And for lots of women of all ages.

Any TDs that vote against a motion on it will likely have a lot of questions to answer at the next election. Especially any in a remotely urban area.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Labour won't do anything important for a while. Civil war is brewing. This leadership campaign will be bloody.

Is this the first time that FG have been in government without Labour? Funny if so.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Cabinet posted:

Labour won't do anything important for a while. Civil war is brewing. This leadership campaign will be bloody.

Is this the first time that FG have been in government without Labour? Funny if so.

Yep.

Its the first time an FG Taoiseach has ever got two consecutive terms and only one other managed two terms, FitzGerald in the 80's and his first time wasn't even a year long.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
While it's disappointing FG have gotten away with all they did it will be so so satisfying to watch Burton go down in flames in the coming months

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Blut posted:

If Labour make a big push for a referendum on the 8th I think it'll get interesting. FF/FG both seem to be coming around to the realization that its a big issue for people under 40. And for lots of women of all ages.

Any TDs that vote against a motion on it will likely have a lot of questions to answer at the next election. Especially any in a remotely urban area.

I don't think Labour are going to push it at all and, unlike gay marriage and even though it's a popular movement, abortion isn't going to be a hill people want to die on.

With gay marriage, I feel like it was more like people not wanting our country to look medieval.

People are afraid to make connections on the media between babies found abandoned/dead in bins and a woman's right to choose. We can't have a referendum on something we're incapable of speaking openly about.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Joan has announced her resignation. Starter pistol fired on the coronation of the great Alan Kelly god help us all.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Bedshaped posted:

I don't think Labour are going to push it at all and, unlike gay marriage and even though it's a popular movement, abortion isn't going to be a hill people want to die on.

With gay marriage, I feel like it was more like people not wanting our country to look medieval.

People are afraid to make connections on the media between babies found abandoned/dead in bins and a woman's right to choose. We can't have a referendum on something we're incapable of speaking openly about.

I'm possibly being optimistic. It's just that I've recently noticed a lot of politicians who are obviously against repealing the 8th when being asked for their opinion on the matter are giving 'No comment' answers instead of negative answers. Which would imply they know its a politically unpopular stance. And I'm fairly confident that most Irish politicians will just go with the flow on issues they feel are large vote winners/losers, even if they're personally against them.

I can see "new" Labour pushing it as a way to differentiate themselves from their erstwhile allies FG. And as a way of giving them purpose (and media exposure) in opposition.

But a lot of this will probably come down to who the new Labour leader is. Kelly would be a disaster, on many many levels. Such a shame Aodhán Ó Ríordáin wasn't re-elected.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The only names that are being floated are Kelly, Howlin and Sean Sherlock. Kelly has completed outflanked most of the other runners in the last few weeks with his recent speechs in the Dail and has been acting like the obvious leader in waiting so much it almost seems an inevitability,I don't think Sherlock can beat him.

Howlin would have a chance and is apparently favoured by many in the party but he's run and lost in several leadership contests already and his seniority is his major selling point, his close affiliation with the previous government won't exactly signal a break from the past and he's hardly the most exciting man to rebuild the labour party.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

From what I've heard Howlin doesn't particularly want the leadership (or is at least playing things as so), but hes being pressured to go for it by the "Kelly is insane and will destroy the party" wing.

I think Howlin would definitely be a safe pair of hands, but would be uninspiring. LAB would probably sit around where they are under him, maybe tick slightly upwards and reclaim 3-5 seats in another election.

Kelly would either destroy the party, or reinvigorate it. He's passionate enough to push it, but I'm not sure in which direction...

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Can someone do a run down of how bad Kelly is? Most of the bad things from Labour that I've seen have been directed at Gilmore, Burton, or Rabbitte.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Cabinet posted:

Can someone do a run down of how bad Kelly is? Most of the bad things from Labour that I've seen have been directed at Gilmore, Burton, or Rabbitte.

Kelly has a swaggering self-confidence that borders on outright arrogance and has a particularly fractious personality and doesn't play down his own ambitiousness ("Power suits me" and all that). Its a style the made him perfect for being the last governments chief attack dog for pushing Irish Water bullishly, his nickname isn't AK47 for nothing.

He might pull in some voters because after all he does undoubtedly have passion and hearing him speak doesn't make you want to stab out your own ears (sorry Joan) and its a style that certainly plays well in his home constituency (who re-elected Lowry remember) and the man does have brains - it just seems his major political aim is to further his own career in a more aggressive manner than the other vaguely beige careerists in Labour but with similarly vague policy positions.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

That's a decent summation of things by kustomkarkommando. Kelly is intelligent, and outspoken, and clearly cares about certain issues. But he also doesn't even try to hide his lust for power under the usual veneer of "I'm doing this for my constituents/out of principle/whatever". Which combined with a gigantic ego means hes loathed by a large number of people.

Think of him as a younger, Tipperary, Dick Cheney.

Some background cringe stuff:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/the-alan-kelly-rap-from-2009-has-been-found-and-youre-in-for-a-treat-718970.html

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/rightcol/alan-kelly-power-is-a-drug-it-suits-me-34410065.html

Burton burning him very publicly over the second of the above, which was very amusing:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...t-34421237.html

And a decent summary of things in one JPG, if you're feeling lazy:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/02/04/the-world-is-yours/

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Kelly got shafted

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/howlin-set-to-be-new-labour-leader-after-kelly-fails-to-secure-backing-1.2654068

No other member of the parliamentary party would second his nomination so there's no contest, Howlin will be in as a consensus candidate.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I guess publicly declaring your desire for power might put off your fellows from letting you near power.

Apparently he's reconsidering his position with the labour party, where would he go, will he start a new party, new labour.
Also if he does quit the party does that affect their speaking rights. Or is it once you start the dail with the minimum 7 you keep that right until a new dail.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not sure if that's a good thing or not but Kelly is a dickhead and I'm glad he failed.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Marenghi posted:

I guess publicly declaring your desire for power might put off your fellows from letting you near power.

Apparently he's reconsidering his position with the labour party, where would he go, will he start a new party, new labour.
Also if he does quit the party does that affect their speaking rights. Or is it once you start the dail with the minimum 7 you keep that right until a new dail.

It was actually just announced in draft report from the Dail reform committee set up immediately after the elections that speaking rights are going to be reduced to 5 seats, also multiple technical groups will be allowed.

I believe the vote on it is next week

Its predicted the SocDems and the Indys4Change will form a technical group, AAA-PBP will get full opposition rights and some talk of the Greens and Labour grouping up. Also a "rural" group featuring all the Indy's that FG where chasing for support but got snubbed by.

Its going from 3 leaders questions to 4 with the fourth rotating between minor parties and the technicals

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Lucinda just dropped as leader of Renua...

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Haha, they are actually sticking to the rule in their charter saying the leader has to be an elected official

They only have 5 county councilors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Higgins did a really good speech lately

quote:

The just redistribution of the fruits of the earth and of human labour is not a dismissible utopian project. Nor should it ever be reduced to mere philanthropy. It is a moral obligation for all of us who believe in solidarity – an obligation we must, as a society, do our very best to fulfil.

:ussr:

• Locked thread