Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mr.PayDay posted:

Well, what was not to like? The humor, the farting and burping that gave your hiding spot away in pvp, the Tit Gun, the Dynamite Crossbow, the superb sounds of the guns and they even got recoil (!) back then for the automatic Rifle.
The level design was stupid sometimes but the LAN PvP was the best with filled alcohol meters and vomiting competitions. Doom was boring as gently caress compared to this game.

That's why we need the Shadow Warrior people to remake Redneck Rampage someday

Shadow Hog posted:

What am I looking at here
Technically, yes, because Atari owns the rights to that poo poo, and you know how Atari is about anything it owns the rights to (ie: "we're not gonna do poo poo with it, but neither is ANYONE ELSE").

Why does Atari do that anyways, seems like a waste of money to own something and not do anything with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Hey thread, I have a specific request regarding old school fps games/mods.

I watched this video about interesting single player Half Life 1 mods and really enjoyed the Timeline series. Those three mods feature my favorite thing in fps games:
Big vistas, where the level is almost like a painting. The sunspire level in unreal comes to mind as a good example (as does the entire soulsborne series).
The concept is that some level designers do the world first and THEN fill in the space, instead of constructing a roller coster ride. Like a big building is first constructed, then all the corridors are put into it and the level twists around itself in interesting ways.
There is something so completely immersive in exploring a big, handcrafted map. Contenders for this are of course the Thief series, deus ex and to some extent the Stalker series.
System shock 2 and FEAR are incredible games but they are mostly just corridors, so they don't fit this mold. Skyrim and Far Cry 3 are not interesting since there is so much copy/paste and blandness to the worlds. I want proper levels.

Problem for me is that it's kinda hard to google for these things. Do you know any games or mod to games out there that are like this? Grand level design, enter a large building, run around and all of a sudden you're on the roof looking back at the start, levels that loop back.
I'm looking for games and mods with levels where the macro perspective was first made (building, mountain, town, pyramid), THEN the micro perspective (exit, corridors, encounters, shortcuts and so on).

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Hey thread, I have a specific request regarding old school fps games/mods.

I watched this video about interesting single player Half Life 1 mods and really enjoyed the Timeline series. Those three mods feature my favorite thing in fps games:
Big vistas, where the level is almost like a painting. The sunspire level in unreal comes to mind as a good example (as does the entire soulsborne series).
The concept is that some level designers do the world first and THEN fill in the space, instead of constructing a roller coster ride. Like a big building is first constructed, then all the corridors are put into it and the level twists around itself in interesting ways.
There is something so completely immersive in exploring a big, handcrafted map. Contenders for this are of course the Thief series, deus ex and to some extent the Stalker series.
System shock 2 and FEAR are incredible games but they are mostly just corridors, so they don't fit this mold. Skyrim and Far Cry 3 are not interesting since there is so much copy/paste and blandness to the worlds. I want proper levels.

Problem for me is that it's kinda hard to google for these things. Do you know any games or mod to games out there that are like this? Grand level design, enter a large building, run around and all of a sudden you're on the roof looking back at the start, levels that loop back.
I'm looking for games and mods with levels where the macro perspective was first made (building, mountain, town, pyramid), THEN the micro perspective (exit, corridors, encounters, shortcuts and so on).
Well, the first two things I was going to recommend were Unreal and Dark Souls, so, uh... At least you can be assured that I know exactly what you're talking about when I say that there's not much else out there but you might try King's Field 4, Ultima Underworld, the original System Shock, or MINERVA for Half-Life 2.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot! It's kind of a love it or hate it thing, but I have real soft spot for the Cheogsh series for Doom, which exhibit the qualities you desire to a certain degree. It's worth a try at any rate.

Lork fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 7, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I bought Redneck Rampage after finishing Duke 3D for the first time. Should have loved it because I was really in the mood for another Build game, and I hate the South. Unfortunately the game is too much of a mess for me to ever get very far.

laserghost posted:

After seeing his Simpsons short his style kind of lost it's char for me. Watch it at your own risk, poo poo's dark and unsettling.
The Simpsons one is too dark and not fun, but this one is pretty great.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In other news, Black Mesa is getting an update this month that adds CS:GO-style Cascade Shadow Maps and a rebuilt version of Surface Tension Uncut to use all the fun new tech and toys they've been using for Xen.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's not that far-fetched to compare it to DNF admittedly, we all remember this;

I like DNF, I like the Doom beta, the Doom single-player and SnapMap look great. They both involve shotguns and stuff.

Black Mesa, that I don't like. Well I liked how they adapted the cinematic beginning part, but the combat didn't work for me.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Anything I should know before giving Jedi Knight an earnest playthrough? I've set up the enhanced models/textures mod, and a thing that lets you switch weapons with the mouse wheel like a modern FPS. Videos appear to play in a small window but that's no big deal. I assume I should expect some level of jank since it's just old and there's no source port available.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Minidust posted:

Anything I should know before giving Jedi Knight an earnest playthrough? I've set up the enhanced models/textures mod, and a thing that lets you switch weapons with the mouse wheel like a modern FPS. Videos appear to play in a small window but that's no big deal. I assume I should expect some level of jank since it's just old and there's no source port available.
It's older so it can be a little clunky, but for the most part the levels are well designed. Except for parts of the Sulon Star. There a bits where you go into vents and your momentum gets screwed up to you can run into walls hard enough to die. Those parts are a pain. Also saber combat isn't anywhere near as intuitive as it should be.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Also Dark Forces is much better because it has no Jedi crap and has that awesome Doom++ engine.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

fishmech posted:

Which Doom game had to do with moons of Jupiter?

The Lost Episodes of Doom, another unauthorized commercial pwad.

edit: gently caress bbcode can we please get markdown support already? it's 20-goddamn-16!

Keiya fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 7, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

In other news, Black Mesa is getting an update this month that adds CS:GO-style Cascade Shadow Maps and a rebuilt version of Surface Tension Uncut to use all the fun new tech and toys they've been using for Xen.

Speaking of which, have they said anything about an ETA for Xen? :v:

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Lork posted:

Well, the first two things I was going to recommend were Unreal and Dark Souls, so, uh... At least you can be assured that I know exactly what you're talking about when I say that there's not much else out there but you might try King's Field 4, Ultima Underworld, the original System Shock, or MINERVA for Half-Life 2.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot! It's kind of a love it or hate it thing, but I have real soft spot for the Cheogsh series for Doom, which exhibit the qualities you desire to a certain degree. It's worth a try at any rate.

Thanks! It's such a shame that so few games are designed in this way, since it's such a satisfying approach to level design.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I just played through doom 2 with project brutality and it was great, can anyone recommend some more maps that work ok with project brutality?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Brasseye posted:

I just played through doom 2 with project brutality and it was great, can anyone recommend some more maps that work ok with project brutality?
Anything that's strictly a mappack, i.e. doesn't have custom weapons or monsters, should work fine. Avoid slaughter-maps though, they become flat-out impossible.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Brasseye posted:

I've found that Back to Saturn X goes with any gameplay mod.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I've found that Back to Saturn X goes with any gameplay mod.

Same, and both chapters too. Although beware of the bonus level "Fireking says No Cheating", in episode 2, which is a brutal slaughterhouse. :getin:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Finally got to my PC and played it for a few minutes, it's really good but also really hard (like most of the modern Duke3D releases). It's super cool how it works with both stock and user maps, and has a set of original ones.

Neccronixis posted on ZDoom forums his sprites and animations of Doom 4 weapons:

laserghost fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 7, 2016

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

jeeves posted:

Also Dark Forces is much better because it has no Jedi crap and has that awesome Doom++ engine.

If anything it's closer to Build (room over room etc.)

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

laserghost posted:

Finally got to my PC and played it for a few minutes, it's really good but also really hard (like most of the modern Duke3D releases). It's super cool how it works with both stock and user maps, and has a set of original ones.

Neccronixis posted on ZDoom forums his sprites and animations of Doom 4 weapons:

nobody can ever make any good custom weapon animations, all the guns pull up and to the side instead of back like they should.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Segmentation Fault posted:

nobody can ever make any good custom weapon animations, all the guns pull up and to the side instead of back like they should.

PLUS where are the old shells? Ejection is gun ejaculation--you need to have it for the most satisfying experience.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

PLUS where are the old shells? Ejection is gun ejaculation--you need to have it for the most satisfying experience.

The Doom 4 super shotgun fires the whole shell. That's 65% more shell... per shell.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

God drat it the author of Cyberdreams is a sick son of a bitch :stonk:

Segmentation Fault posted:

The Doom 4 super shotgun fires the whole shell. That's 65% more shell... per shell.

They just stole that from Russian Overkill

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Minidust posted:

Look for secrets or your force powers will suck.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That's a real tepid and boring looking firing animation.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
I put my Quake guns mod up on MODBB, hopefully in the right category because its confusing:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/alternative-gun-models-for-quake

Small fixes and adjustments, detailed world models, Doom plasma gun for Armagon, optional Quake-style super nailgun, different thunderbolt, Daikatana skull staff also an option. No video but I put some screens on there, and made a collage of world models

textures are extra misaligned here because the mdl importer puts uv coordinates at random pixel corners instead of keeping them centered, only noticed that after making the image.

Installation is mostly the same I thnk. I remade the muzzle flares on nailguns so they now look good or better in DP/S8 than in Spasm/Fitz.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Uhh...I'm a newbie to this thread but I redownloaded gzdoom in hopes of replaying Doom with some mods and megawads later on but I have this really annoying problem where the game loads in my secondary, smaller monitor instead of my main one. I googled the problem and people mention something about an adaptor console command but I'm new to gzdoom and not quite sure what that means or what I need to type, sorry. I really just wanna play some Doom.

Also are there any addons for the original Ultimate Doom and expansion games (DII, TNT, Plutonia) that enable the soundblaster soundtrack instead of midi? I grew up with SB so its more nostalgic but not that important really.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
You absolutely nailed the SSG, Plasma Gun, and Rocket Launcher. Holy poo poo.

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Uhh...I'm a newbie to this thread but I redownloaded gzdoom in hopes of replaying Doom with some mods and megawads later on but I have this really annoying problem where the game loads in my secondary, smaller monitor instead of my main one. I googled the problem and people mention something about an adaptor console command but I'm new to gzdoom and not quite sure what that means or what I need to type, sorry. I really just wanna play some Doom.

Also are there any addons for the original Ultimate Doom and expansion games (DII, TNT, Plutonia) that enable the soundblaster soundtrack instead of midi? I grew up with SB so its more nostalgic but not that important really.

You could just disable the second monitor.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Dolphin Fetus posted:

To fix the monitor, just make a shortcut to gzdoom and add "-vid_adapter 2" and it should fix it. If it doesn't, start a game and hit `, and type "vid_listadapters" and then vid_adapter X" with X being the number next to the correct of the listed monitors.

For Soundblaster sound, go into the gzdoom options and under Sound Options set OPL Synth Emulation as the Midi Device.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Press the `/~ key on the upper-left of your keyboard. The game will pause, and you'll pull down a little console window. You can press the key again to push it back up.

While said window is down, though, type in "vid_adapter n", where n is any integer (if you have only two monitors, probably 1 or 2). That will force GZDoom to use a different monitor the next time it boots.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

loga mira posted:

I put my Quake guns mod up on MODBB, hopefully in the right category because its confusing:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/alternative-gun-models-for-quake

Rad. I vastly prefer the alternate super-nailgun. It's grungy and asymmetrical and definitely fits the Quake aesthetic. The new lightning gun looks like something cobbled together by a madman too, which seems appropriate.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 8, 2016

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

It was a bit of a pain to animate with the belt and all, but it feeds exactly as many nails as it shoots, an extremely important detail. It doesn't rotate as fast as it should though since verts move between frames following the shortest path, not in a circle, and with not enough key frames that starts to look odd. That's also the reason for the little flip over the models do sometimes when you stop firing, verts returning to the rest position. No fix for that besides turning off interpolation.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oof, finnicky restrictions like that are why there's only one or two Quake maps released a month, while Doom gets dozens/hundreds, huh? Still really glad you made that pack. I (imperfectly) tweaked it so that it mostly works with Arcane Dimensions too. Any chance of an official compatibility patch for that, especially as there's a new version coming with even more maps/monsters soon?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Dominic White posted:

Oof, finnicky restrictions like that are why there's only one or two Quake maps released a month, while Doom gets dozens/hundreds, huh? Still really glad you made that pack. I (imperfectly) tweaked it so that it mostly works with Arcane Dimensions too. Any chance of an official compatibility patch for that, especially as there's a new version coming with even more maps/monsters soon?

Well, to pick a nit, maps aren't the same as weapons mods... but I would agree with it being more complex to make good-looking Quake maps compared to Doom maps, as well. :v:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Y'know what I mean - Quake's engine is just finnicky all round, be it for mapping, modding or otherwise.

It's why the few mappers still standing are almost incomprehensibly skilled, but there's no new blood really flowing into the community, whereas Doom has stuff like DUMP happening on the regular.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

Dominic White posted:

I (imperfectly) tweaked it so that it mostly works with Arcane Dimensions too. Any chance of an official compatibility patch for that, especially as there's a new version coming with even more maps/monsters soon?

Hrm I've been meaning to play that once I'm done with my mod, but yeah it isn't a perfect fit yet. In case someone else may be wondering what to do to make my models show up, go to Quake\ad\progs and move the following files somewhere else:

g_nail.mdl
v_nail.mdl
v_nail2.mdl
v_shot2.mdl

They've also changed some filenames like the nail projectiles and some weapon sounds, so for those either locate the same files in my .paks and rename them accordingly, or wait until I put out a patch I guess. Some gun timings seem to be off also, so some animations have to be adjusted. I'll put a patch or a compatible version on modbb some time soon. The shell extraction is almost perfect on SSG though. They got some great looking models as well.

e: I actually started working on a map that would show off all of the guns for a demo video, kinda WW1 theme, and then gave up after calculating how long it would take to finish. Although Trenchbroom makes it relatively painless, everyone should try that at least. When it came out games blogs posted about it, but I suspect a lot of new people were turned off by lack of documentation for logic stuff, and how crashy it was/is.

loga mira fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 8, 2016

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

loga mira posted:

Hrm I've been meaning to play that once I'm done with my mod, but yeah it isn't a perfect fit yet. In case someone else may be wondering what to do to make my models show up, go to Quake\ad\progs and move the following files somewhere else:

g_nail.mdl
v_nail.mdl
v_nail2.mdl
v_shot2.mdl

Yep, that's what I did off the bat. Makes your weapons mostly fit, but it's not perfect, for the reasons you listed. Your weapon pack does work great with just about everything out there, though, and I vastly prefer them over the chunky bricks that used to live in the bottom-center of my screen.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 8, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueRjbYdcXbs

why wasn't footage like this shown off earlier

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I finally got around to finishing System Shock 2 last night. That game almost gave me whiplash from the variation in quality at different points. Most of the Van Braun was real cool except for that main hall in engineering where there's some dickhead behind half of those million doors. The first level of the Rickenbacker really hit the perfect lovely medium of linearity and openness, just enough so that if you forgot to go into one room or another you'd reach the end and Shodan would be like "hah I hope you like backtracking bitch." Body of the Many was just bad.

Most of the game was pretty cool and I can really see how this would have been crazy when it was released but it kinda gave me the constant feeling of "I wish I was playing Deus Ex instead."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Johnny Joestar posted:

why wasn't footage like this shown off earlier

This particular bit was shown off in that dev-stream earlier. And despite it being the PS4 version demoed, the player was probably more accurate. Not entirely sure why that guys view is vibrating rapidly all the time when aiming.

The marketing for this game has just been weird and messy in general, though.