Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

PT6A posted:

What's wrong with a "quit whining and get poo poo done" attitude? I don't think that's a matter of political correctness, either. Political correctness has some value, being a whiny little bitch never has any value.

the issue comes in when people say requesting police stop raping native women or killing black people is being a whiny bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

the issue comes in when people say requesting police stop raping native women or killing black people is being a whiny bitch

Well, yeah. That's obviously not whining. But still, endlessly sitting in a drum circle bemoaning it isn't helping anyone either. Especially when you're a white guy with dreads who calls himself an "ally."

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

PT6A posted:

What's wrong with a "quit whining and get poo poo done" attitude? I don't think that's a matter of political correctness, either. Political correctness has some value, being a whiny little bitch never has any value.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I'm totally down for discussing some legislation, what say you guys?

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

PT6A posted:

The left loses elections because they are the whiny ineffectual little bitches previously mentioned. They could still follow their principles and not act like a bunch of infighting ninnies who never actually do anything (except of course when they decide to break other people's property for no reason).

Edit: For example, consider these "bathroom laws". If more progressives handled these knuckle dragging morons like Zoey Tur handled Ben Shapiro, the world would be a better place, and trans people could piss wherever they prefer.

Assaulting property: bad.
Assaulting Jews: good.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Kafka Esq. posted:

I'm totally down for discussing some legislation, what say you guys?

Please. how about the conservatives stopping the gender neutral O Canada bill?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I object to being commanded to show true patriot love because I'm relationship/affection neutral and also because my countrymen are exactly what CI says they are.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

I object to being commanded to show true patriot love because I'm relationship/affection neutral and also because my countrymen are exactly what CI says they are.

This and also anthems and blind patriotism are outdated

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Just sing maple leaf forever and make CI's gears grind harder than ever.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I think the removal of "God" would have been nice

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

brucio posted:

The removal of the anthem would be twice as nice

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Whiskey Sours posted:

Assaulting property: bad.
Assaulting Jews: good.

Assaulting Ben Shapiro is good because he's an awful bit of human filth. The fact that he happens to also be Jewish is the height of irrelevance. Note that it was only assault, not battery.

brucio posted:

I'm as atheist as they come, and that bit really doesn't bother me.

TheKingofSprings posted:

The removal of the anthem would be twice as nice

What on earth is wrong with having an anthem?

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

PT6A posted:

Assaulting Ben Shapiro is good because he's an awful bit of human filth. The fact that he happens to also be Jewish is the height of irrelevance. Note that it was only assault, not battery.

You have a strange fascination with violence. Zoey Tur assaulting Ben Shapiro only accomplished two things. It further convinced bigots that their daughters aren't safe in public bathrooms with transwomen, and it satisfied your desire to see people you disagree with physically punished.

You're creepy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Oh dear, a trans woman made a bigot pee his pants and throw a tantrum.

I'm sorry, I really don't see the problem.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

PT6A posted:

The left loses elections because they are the whiny ineffectual little bitches previously mentioned. They could still follow their principles and not act like a bunch of infighting ninnies who never actually do anything (except of course when they decide to break other people's property for no reason).

Edit: For example, consider these "bathroom laws". If more progressives handled these knuckle dragging morons like Zoey Tur handled Ben Shapiro, the world would be a better place, and trans people could piss wherever they prefer.

The Tumblrites are very loud with their identity politics, and the left shouldn't be defined by them. You're comment on how the left is a bunch of whiny ineffectual little bitches is such a good example of how little you actually interact with real people. When I think about a lot of the leftists I know, they usually work in fields like social work. And the last thing I think of is "whiny ineffectual little bitch" when someone is cleaning up the poo poo of the people that have been discarded from society. And all for poo poo pay too.

And have you ever interacted with the people that you imagine have this ""quit whining and get poo poo done" attitude? Rural folk are awful. And they loving whine. They are hard working, I'll give them that. But every time they face hardship they'll be very quick to blame someone else. And they won't hold back on pointing fingers at immigrants, and will often straight up call them out by their race.

PT6A you are a whiny urbanite goony little bitch. I feel like all your opinions on people are based off of what you've seen on the internet, and nothing comes from real interaction. You really need to get out more. I think you have the potential to be a decent human being, but first you have to find out what a human being is.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

For some reason whenever I hear some tough guy utter the phrase "whiny little bitch" I think of Matt Shepard hanging from that fencepost, covered in blood. Dunno why, could be the dripping misogyny and physical aggression :iiam:

Whiskey Sours posted:

You're creepy.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know
Oh thank gently caress, another 4 page derail coming. Do those of you who post news stories and links have somewhere else you do it outside of this thread?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

THC posted:

For some reason whenever I hear some tough guy utter the phrase "whiny little bitch" I think of Matt Shepard hanging from that fencepost, covered in blood. Dunno why, could be the dripping misogyny and physical aggression :iiam:

Maybe you should ask yourself why that sort of thing continues to be a threat. It's because we're all talk and too little action when it comes to confronting bigotry. Look at every progressive, some of them in this very thread, who equivocates on LGBT rights if, God forbid, another marginalised group is involved. That's what allows this sort of thing to fester: weak-willed pseudo-progressives who put ideological calculus above basic human rights and the protection thereof. Society failed Matt Shepard not because he was weak, but because society itself was weak. That's what we can no longer tolerate.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Harveys is collecting donations for #ymmfire at the till :3:

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

PT6A posted:

Maybe you should ask yourself why that sort of thing continues to be a threat. It's because we're all talk and too little action when it comes to confronting bigotry. Look at every progressive, some of them in this very thread, who equivocates on LGBT rights if, God forbid, another marginalised group is involved. That's what allows this sort of thing to fester: weak-willed pseudo-progressives who put ideological calculus above basic human rights and the protection thereof. Society failed Matt Shepard not because he was weak, but because society itself was weak. That's what we can no longer tolerate.

Thank god we have heroes like you standing up to bigotry by posting what all the progressives want to, but just don't have the strength to do so. Thank you PT6A. Thank you for your service

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
lovely day for the Fort Mac residents who went North. A couple thousand get to drive through the remains of the city today to get out of the risk zone.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

PT6A posted:

It's because there are so many people who are either too greedy or lack the intellect to develop a morality past loud condemnation of a suitable group (most often criminals or immigrants) and vote accordingly. It's a failing of the electorate not ”the left"

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
beat up bigots but don't damage their property

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

never happy posted:

And have you ever interacted with the people that you imagine have this ""quit whining and get poo poo done" attitude? Rural folk are awful. And they loving whine. They are hard working, I'll give them that. But every time they face hardship they'll be very quick to blame someone else. And they won't hold back on pointing fingers at immigrants, and will often straight up call them out by their race.

Funny that. I recently joined a commercial fishing group on Facebook and was reminded that fishermen are pretty much the same as farmers, with an increased chance of drowning.

Crab pots are going missing from one area. IT'S THE VIETNAMESE!!!

When the Boat People arrived in the 70s a group of them ended up in the fishing industry. Some had black marketeer/gang connections in Vietnam and loose definitions of "mine/yours" but more problems seemed to result from cultural/language misunderstandings - setting gear in a way that tangled up other gear because they weren't aware of informal agreements in the rest of the fishing fleet.

We should be into the second or third generation by now and this bullshit IT'S THE VIETNAMESE is still going on. Because white fishermen would never pillage someone else's traps by say, letting the anchor line slip so the boat drifts down on the crab float where the pot can be surreptitiously pulled. Uhuh. Nope. This would never happen.

Lots of naked racism towards First Nations too. I'm not going to look for farmers' groups. I already hate the world enough.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

One thing I haven't heard anything about in regards to the Fort McMurray fire is how the pipelines in the area have fared. A flammable substance flowing through a pressurized tube seems pretty susceptible to a forest fire.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
If history has taught us anything it's that we should beat our opinions into other people, that has always worked. That's why I have this baseball bat that I wrote "DONT HATE GAYS" on

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Chicken posted:

One thing I haven't heard anything about in regards to the Fort McMurray fire is how the pipelines in the area have fared. A flammable substance flowing through a pressurized tube seems pretty susceptible to a forest fire.
I recall hearing that the companies in question shut down the pipelines as a precautionary measure. So there may be some oil left in them, but at least they aren't pressurized.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Albino Squirrel posted:

I recall hearing that the companies in question shut down the pipelines as a precautionary measure. So there may be some oil left in them, but at least they aren't pressurized.

The risk of oil operations and the fate of native reservations seem to be the two topics no one has an official word on. Obviously the reserves were evacuated, but whether their homes are gone is a big question mark. I think the oil companies can't afford the PR of saying anything that sounds self-serving right now, but there's no excuse for the lack of consideration for the reserves other than a case of ain't-whites.

That fire is going to keep burning until it rains... but if it doesn't rain enough, lightning might spark more fires.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Pixelante posted:

The risk of oil operations and the fate of native reservations seem to be the two topics no one has an official word on. Obviously the reserves were evacuated, but whether their homes are gone is a big question mark. I think the oil companies can't afford the PR of saying anything that sounds self-serving right now, but there's no excuse for the lack of consideration for the reserves other than a case of ain't-whites.

That fire is going to keep burning until it rains... but if it doesn't rain enough, lightning might spark more fires.

How much of the reserve burned? I thought about it today and was wondering what the gov't gonna do about it because I can't imagine they had insurances for the houses on the Rez.

How much of Fort Mac is gone now? It sounds like it's a mix at this point and trailer parks are gone. I really hope when they rebuild it is that they will learn from New Orlean after Katrina.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

quaint bucket posted:

How much of Fort Mac is gone now? It sounds like it's a mix at this point and trailer parks are gone. I really hope when they rebuild it is that they will learn from New Orlean after Katrina.

Up to 90% of some neighbourhoods.

Via CTV:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Northwest passage would make a good replacement national anthem for Anglo-Canadia.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Frankly, I'm glad they didn't make the anthem gender-neutral. If they did, then we'd be at risk of other national anthems sneaking into ours and assaulting it. I don't want all my daughters seeing somebody's rocket's red glare. :colbert:

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Just comparing this pipeline map to maps of fire coverage, there are (were?) two major Enbridge crude lines that run right through the worst affected areas. I don't know whether or not those pipelines are above ground, but Google Maps suggest they may be.

The Fort McMurray First Nation appears to have an uninhabited reserve east of Fort McMurray that's right in the fire area, but the populated parts of the reserve are a ways south of Anzac and don't appear to be in danger. The latest map of the fire I could find was yesterday in this Macleans article so who knows what the situation is today.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Just make Gens du Pays the entire country's national anthem, it's not like it's ever going to get used as the anthem of an independent Québec.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Hey. Should I fill out my census this time or is it a useless piece of poo poo like the last one?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Meat Recital posted:

Hey. Should I fill out my census this time or is it a useless piece of poo poo like the last one?

Fill out your loving census. It's important and required by law.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Meat Recital posted:

It's good.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Took me three minutes. I have one toilet.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

THC posted:

It's cute how you guys think demolishing a city would solve anything and not primarily harm those worse off.

I think that Fort Mac will be rebuilt with bike lanes and tree-lined avenues and walkable neighbourhoods after some careful and sober reflection.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

THC posted:

It's cute how you guys think demolishing a city would solve anything and not primarily harm those worse off.

Counterpoint: Mecca or Vatican City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Kafka Esq. posted:

Counterpoint: Mecca or Vatican City.

Ahhh always good to know we're on something awful, where reddit level atheist edgehavers can make jokes about the destruction of centuries and millenia-old cultural centers, comparing these to 15 year old mining settlements.