Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There shouldn't be any ambiguity because replacing a model's melee attacks with a grenade attack is entirely different from loving throwing the goddamned thing. :psyduck:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone use frag/krak grenades in the shooting phase to begin with and I definitely haven't seen anyone use them for overwatch which is what I think this ruling is trying to apply itself to though frag grenades would be a non-issue due to being blasts. Except for the fact that GW's rules folks don't understand the difference. What the gently caress is even happening here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The good news is that melta bombs aren't affected. The bad news is that regular grenades are, which is a big buff for box dreadnaughts, admech robits, and tanks.

A 20 man tactical squad stood a good chance to taking out a vorax each turn. Now they're basically dead meat if they get charged.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

A 20 man tactical squad stood a good chance to taking out a vorax each turn. Now they're basically dead meat if they get charged.

Finally getting some Legio Cybernetica buffs!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

The good news is that melta bombs aren't affected. The bad news is that regular grenades are, which is a big buff for box dreadnaughts, admech robits, and tanks.

Let's have a Horus vs. Castellax showdown.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Horus vs Scoria, no bodyguards, no shooting, final destination

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Welp, I dove in I guess. Ordered 2 leviathans, a sicaran venator, and some weapon options, and getting a Calth box tomorrow. Looks like I can build out 2500 points pretty easy with that + the few bits and bobs I have lying around.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Mr.Booger posted:

Welp, I dove in I guess. Ordered 2 leviathans, a sicaran venator, and some weapon options, and getting a Calth box tomorrow. Looks like I can build out 2500 points pretty easy with that + the few bits and bobs I have lying around.

If you play against other people who only have BAC you're going to make a lot of enemies.

Also looks like FW finally worked out the last kinks in the stormbird.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

Mango Polo posted:

If you play against other people who only have BAC you're going to make a lot of enemies.

LOL, nope, my group is pretty into spending money on toys. I think we have 7 titans among us, and all the bits and bobs, fireraptors a plenty floating round last time I went. My co-worker next to me was planning his purchase for next week for all the raven guard unique units and primarch. For the meta here I am but dipping my toe in :)

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
surely the stormbird isn't just going to be a limited release?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

surely the stormbird isn't just going to be a limited release?
It's just releasing first at Warhammer Fest.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

krursk posted:

Edit: Melta-bombs don't really count as grenades though right? You can't throw them like grenades.

BULBASAUR posted:

Melta bombs are bombs and not grenades, and are not thrown, so you can basically ignore this.

They're grenades dudes. Just a lot of people (myself and my group included) thought that throwing a grenade referred to using them in the shooting phase and everyone with a grenade could use a single one in assault. With the clarification Tankbustas are crippled and there's really no point to buying grenades for a whole squad unless they're assault or defensive :(

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
hahahahahahahahaha

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

although to be fair I always thought it worked the way they clarified it to work. It's why I think the rules are basically poo poo, like there's not reason for not allowing a bunch of dudes to not throw grenades, thats why they ALL have them right?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
If they'd just used the word "used" instead of "thrown" in that bold bit none of this would have ever come up and we'd have worked through how stupid it was years ago.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i had always played it the way it was clarified, i thought the discussion of what a grenade being 'thrown' entailed was petty semantics bickering. i didn't know it actually had traction.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
They refer to the line saying 'Only one grenade (of any type) can be thrown by a unit per phase’. Melta bombs are not thrown

Anyway it's clearly against the intention, but will be hilarious if they make it so all those 50 point upgrades only gives you 1 attack

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

BULBASAUR posted:

They refer to the line saying 'Only one grenade (of any type) can be thrown by a unit per phase’. Melta bombs are not thrown

Anyway it's clearly against the intention, but will be hilarious if they make it so all those 50 point upgrades only gives you 1 attack

Melta bombs aren't thrown in the shooting phase, but are thrown in the assault phase. This is GW using "thrown" like "shoot" or "strike" to describe something being used and using typical language that communicates something other than what they're trying to convey. They then go on to use "throw" when describing shooting attacks made with other grenades but then say "use" when describing them in the assault phase which further muddies the waters. But its all moot now with the clarification:

quote:

Q: Using grenades in the Assault phase. Can every model replace their close combat attacks with a single grenade attack or just one model in the unit? Like in the Shooting phase e.g. a unit of 5 Tau Pathfinders charge a Knight. Do 5 Pathfinders make close combat haywire grenade attacks?

A: Only one model from the unit can attack with a grenade in the Assault phase. Per Warhammer 40,000: The Rules, ‘Only one grenade (of any type) can be thrown by a unit per phase’.

e: To be clear I was with your reading Bulba, because it didn't make much sense for only one model to be able to use a grenade in the context of paying per model for the upgrade. This is stupid as hell and makes me really concerned if all these books have been written with a 5ppm upgrade on the assumption that only one of them can use them in a phase.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I mean I thought it was dumb as hell but regular squads usually only get Meltabombs on the Sarge anyway.

Soz for units which all have meltabombs, I guess Terminators or Vets with Powerfists are going to be more popular?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
They seem to be more of a liability now because even though you only get one swing everyone in the squad has a chance to hurt the front armour of that Leviathan so you can't use Our Weapons Are Useless to disengage.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm with you wang, it's silly. It's obviously not considering unit upgrades and in 30k melta bombs are staples in a number of unit builds.

The bigger thing is that regular grenades don't do poo poo anymore. So your AV10 predators, AV12 dreadnaughts, and T6 MCs have less to fear from big mobs of infantry.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Although really Lascannons are still alright

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it was dumb that the best way to kill tanks was to run a bunch of dudes on foot at it and you were dumb if you didn't feel that way

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

it was dumb that the best way to kill tanks was to run a bunch of dudes on foot at it and you were dumb if you didn't feel that way

I dunno if this is serious but it's what I told my friends. Slapping sticky bombs on a massive tank shouldn't be the best AT in the game.

Re: why pay for the whole squad then? To ensure you get at least one in. If you buy it for Sgt only and he dies then you're done.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
does anyone here play with or against solar auxilia?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i thought fnp saves already weren't allowed against ID hits, even with EW

This.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Swiggity swooty, we're coming for that STC

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Eh the hooked claws look a little odd. I would have preferred lightning claw style wolverine blades. Heads are a bit strange as well. Are they good on the tabletop?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Like them a little more now I've seen them painted, still prefer the normal Thallax head. Any indication on how many Lightning Claw/Power Fist pairs are in each set?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
They will hopefully come with a complete set of both. Looking at the hands it would be incredibly cheap of FW not to.

As for performance, I think they sort of get overshadowed by the Vorax.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Dittoing their performance, Vorax may need a Cortex Controller to babysit them at times but they're so much more efficient, especially after gaining the Poisoned upgrade for their Rotor Cannons.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but the Vorax can't bearhug a motherfucker and loving disintegrate them with their chest volkite. I'd run the gently caress out of those guys (if I had a mechanicum army) just for that dumb gimmick because that's how 30k should be.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
minmaxers should go play a game that's actually well balanced so i can play my dumb gimmick theme lists in loving peace

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

adamantium|wang posted:

If they'd just used the word "used" instead of "thrown" in that bold bit none of this would have ever come up and we'd have worked through how stupid it was years ago.

adamantium|wang posted:

Melta bombs aren't thrown in the shooting phase, but are thrown in the assault phase. This is GW using "thrown" like "shoot" or "strike" to describe something being used and using typical language that communicates something other than what they're trying to convey. They then go on to use "throw" when describing shooting attacks made with other grenades but then say "use" when describing them in the assault phase which further muddies the waters.

There's so many examples of stuff like this in the codex it drives me crazy. Every other sentence seems to change the language just to be ambiguous. I don't know who the hell edits the codexes but they don't seem to do very much.

GW could pay me with a few models and I'd be happy to go through the books with a red pen and point out all the changes in language. Consistency is super important when writing rulebooks, its not like fiction where you actually want to vary up your language!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

minmaxers should go play a game that's actually well balanced so i can play my dumb gimmick theme lists in loving peace

How to be competitively fluffy:

1. Take a Siege Breaker HQ
2. Take 9 phosphex rapiers
3. Take whatever the gently caress you want
4. ???
5. The entire planet is on fire

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Mango Polo posted:

How to be competitively fluffy:

1. Take a Siege Breaker HQ
2. Take 9 phosphex rapiers
3. Take phosphex Medusas
4. ???
5. The entire planet is on fire

Its the Ironfire rite of war!

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
does anyone know if the current razorback kit has top doors? Thinking of getting them instead of rhinos and turning the turrets into tarantulas (its only 4 bucks more)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hencoe posted:

Its the Ironfire rite of war!

Before I moved a few months ago, my area's Alpha Legion player started off playing Death Guard and Salamanders. She didn't repaint them when she switched to Alpha Legion, and painted new models as whatever other Legion she felt like at the time. :v:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Weird, I thought Panascope kept his sex change private

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Mr.Booger posted:

does anyone know if the current razorback kit has top doors? Thinking of getting them instead of rhinos and turning the turrets into tarantulas (its only 4 bucks more)

Box comes with the full Rhino kit and a separate Razorback sprue. So yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Thinking about starting a Night Lords army, having read through their fluff in a few books, they seem fantastically screwed up.

Does anyone run them or play against them? How do they tend to do?