Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

But what does Zizek say about all this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The book Under the Skin is based on goes into a lot more detail as to the "why"

There's some decadent slave empire and human meat is a delicacy for the ruling elite there. A highly sought after job within this brutal society is going off-world as a human hunter to get this rare expensive meat for rich people. On the alien planet people don't really know where the meat comes from, it's like meat appearing on a supermarket shelf with no knowledge of the creature it came from or the suffering it went through.

So the main character is one of these lucky cat-people that gets to undergo horrible painful surgery to look human and become a human hunter. She has handlers and bosses who knows a lot more about earth and hunting humans than most. Upon doing the job she of course quickly learns that humans are intelligent to some extent. Her orders are to only kill people who would not be missed, so she has to understand human society enough to figure that out. The more she hunts, the more she realizes these humans might be just as intelligent as her own species and maybe this whole meat industry is pretty bad, also her planet's ruling elite probably need to be overthrown. She ends up trying to get the word out that human meat is murder, gets hunted down by her own kind, gets involved with some rebels and alien politics poo poo. She also of course constantly has her own comfort to worry about. Her job murdering humans is like winning the lottery compared to the average lot in life her own people have. The whole book is a lot more about the meat industry and class issues while the movie seems mostly focused on sex and gender issues.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Basebf555 posted:

We have no idea what the purpose of the alien's actions were in Under the Skin. Really we don't even know that those men were killed. You're the one who is reducing Johansson's character to nothing more than an inhuman monster, the movie argues the exact opposite.

what are you talking about? She tries to eat human food and can't, she tries to have human sex and can't, then her human skin is literally ripped off and "under the skin" she's literally a alien monster. The movie is very, very clear about this. She's a alien monster.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

She is an alien monster, but she is also a human being. The movie is very clear about this as well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

boom boom boom posted:

what are you talking about? She tries to eat human food and can't, she tries to have human sex and can't, then her human skin is literally ripped off and "under the skin" she's literally a alien monster. The movie is very, very clear about this. She's a alien monster.

So is everyone else she interacts with.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

boom boom boom posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
if we're talking 'alien monster romance movies' i really liked

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Clipperton posted:

Yessss this movie was really good and I've been trying to get more people to watch it. It and Under the Skin are both on Amazon prime right now I believe. Great dialogue-driven genre movie that's almost like the emotionally warm counterpoint to symposium horror (it's by the guys who did Resolution so that gives you some idea of what to expect)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

boom boom boom posted:

I can't believe I'm asking this, but: are you aware of Animal Farm?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I can't believe I'm asking this, but: are you aware of Animal Farm?

yup. That just a passing thought you had?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Clipperton posted:

Great film, a lot of it is shot in Conversano, Italy.

I liked the look of it so just booked a holiday there.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

boom boom boom posted:

yup. That just a passing thought you had?

It's a thought that you should have had. The aliens' 'space-ships' are a delivery van, a motorcycle, and some abandonned buildings. What does that tell you?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

It's a thought that you should have had. The aliens' 'space-ships' are a delivery van, a motorcycle, and some abandonned buildings. What does that tell you?

Those aren't space ships.

edit: gently caress it, I'm not playing along with whatever retarded Socratic Method movie analysis thing you're trying to do. Just explain the link you see between Under the Skin and Animal Farm.

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 6, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

General Battuta posted:

Hahaha I just realized the end of Alien 3 has the same unresolved issue as the end of Alien: the loving space jockey ship is still sitting there on LV-426 with eggs inside. Unless the fusion reactor took it out when it blew.

Don't worry, Alien: Colonial Marines solved that story line!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tenzarin posted:

Don't worry, Alien: Colonial Marines solved that story line!

It actually didn't (but the first AvP PC game did) :v:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

boom boom boom posted:

edit: gently caress it, I'm not playing along with whatever retarded Socratic Method movie analysis thing you're trying to do. Just explain the link you see between Under the Skin and Animal Farm.

The animals are a metaphor for people. Such things as barns are also metaphors, in the story of Animal Farm.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The animals are a metaphor for people. Such things as barns are also metaphors, in the story of Animal Farm.

So the motorcycle is a metaphor for the barn in Animal Farm, which is a spaceship?

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

I'll take a stab at it. In the shortest summary:

"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."

The human/alien distinction is as irrelevant as the human/pig distinction in Animal Farm. Its not the species of the actors but the power system itself that is the problem. Your reduction of Scarlett Johansson's character to "an inhuman alien monster" is the equivalent of bleating "four legs good, two legs bad" over and over again.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

wuffles posted:

I'll take a stab at it. In the shortest summary:

"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."

The human/alien distinction is as irrelevant as the human/pig distinction in Animal Farm. Its not the species of the actors but the power system itself that is the problem. Your reduction of Scarlett Johansson's character to "an inhuman alien monster" is the equivalent of bleating "four legs good, two legs bad" over and over again.

what power system?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Also there's the fact that Scarlett Johansson's character is an emotional and psychological blank slate that is very clearly being used as a tool by the other beings riding around on motorcycles. The moment she realizes what she is doing is wrong, she has a pretty clear "holy poo poo what have I done?" moment and immediately starts trying to be a normal human.

By going "oh poo poo she's actually a gross alien burn it with fire," you are unambiguously allying yourself with the film's villain, a sketchy backwoods trucker who molests passed out women and has a petrol can handy for burning evidence. Which is very weird and wrong.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

boom boom boom posted:

So the motorcycle is a metaphor for the barn in Animal Farm, which is a spaceship?

There's no reason for you to pretend like you don't know what figurative language is.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's no reason for you to pretend like you don't know what figurative language is.

I just want the dude to put state his opinion on the movie

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Also there's the fact that Scarlett Johansson's character is an emotional and psychological blank slate that is very clearly being used as a tool by the other beings riding around on motorcycles. The moment she realizes what she is doing is wrong, she has a pretty clear "holy poo poo what have I done?" moment and immediately starts trying to be a normal human.

She fails. She fails over and over again at being a normal human, she is not a normal human. This is as established as it's possible for something to be without a guy literally coming on to screen and saying "she can't eat human food, she's not human"

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

By going "oh poo poo she's actually a gross alien burn it with fire," you are unambiguously allying yourself with the film's villain, a sketchy backwoods trucker who molests passed out women and has a petrol can handy for burning evidence. Which is very weird and wrong.

that's supposed to be some kind of hosed up karmic retribution, where she gets killed by male sexuality, the very weapon she was using earlier.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

boom boom boom posted:

that's supposed to be some kind of hosed up karmic retribution, where she gets killed by male sexuality, the very weapon she was using earlier.

Well, this is certainly something.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

She fails. She fails over and over again at being a normal human, she is not a normal human. This is as established as it's possible for something to be without a guy literally coming on to screen and saying "she can't eat human food, she's not human"

And?

(I'm not even gonna touch the "karmic retribution" thing)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
What if I told you that the motorcycle, the inability to eat human food, and even the fur coat - these are all references to David Cronenberg's Rabid.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

What if I told you that the motorcycle, the inability to eat human food, and even the fur coat - these are all references to David Cronenberg's Rabid.

I don't know what would happen if you told me that. I guess we'll never know.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

boom boom boom posted:

I don't know what would happen if you told me that. I guess we'll never know.

MAJOR HINT:

There are no aliens in Rabid.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I would rather see murderous aliens preying on the weak and marginal of human society be reformed, but barring that killing them with fire is a good way to stop them. We have no idea at the mental capacities of this alien though. She could be akin to a confused child soldier, brainwashed into seeing humans as non-sentient cattle.

Any alien civilization able to waste such ridiculous resources to come all the way to earth to covertly harvest humans for shipping back home to be eaten probably can't be stopped simply by burning their ignorant working class butchers. Then again humans probably have no chance of standing up to these aliens, having them come and pick off a few of us for eating is probably preferable to outright genocide or enslavement or earth becoming a huge factory human meat farm.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

MAJOR HINT:

There are no aliens in Rabid.

That is interesting.

The movie Predator 2 takes place in Los Angeles.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I would rather see murderous aliens preying on the weak and marginal of human society be reformed

Pfft next thing they'll be talking about human rights abuses because they don't have a playstation 4 in their big plastic Species cell

Also this is even worse than Prometheus chat

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

boom boom boom posted:

That is interesting.

In the distant future of 1997, no less

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

boom boom boom posted:

That is interesting.

BONUS HINT:

Neither film is about 'serial killers.'

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BONUS HINT:

Neither film is about 'serial killers.'

I'd argue the Predator in Predator 2 counts as a serial killer.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Dude, if you have a theory about how Under the Skin, Animal Farm, and Rabid connect through the shared symbolism of motorcycles and barns, lay it on me. I already told you I'm not following your breadcrumbs.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

boom boom boom posted:

Dude, if you have a theory about how Under the Skin, Animal Farm, and Rabid connect through the shared symbolism of motorcycles and barns, lay it on me. I already told you I'm not following your breadcrumbs.

C'mon now, don't give up. You're doing great. You're almost there.

What might the film be about if it's not about the threat posed by martian serial killers.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Under the Skin is about sexism..?

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Cool derail about Under The Skin in the Alien thread for the last two pages.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

C'mon now, don't give up. You're doing great. You're almost there.

What might the film be about if it's not about the threat posed by martian serial killers.

I genuinely don't value your opinion enough to put any energy into figuring it out. State your position and defend it or don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

this whole conversation is why people dont read this subforum