Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

God drat, game! That's blackmail!

I just had 23 year old female model join that way. I took her in (hey, bros, it's a model!) and fought off fifteen jerks chasing her and then find out she's only capable of art...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Oh good lord, Randy has gone full moron on me. My last play session was around two hours, in which i got raided somewhere in the region of six times with very little reprieve between, four of which were mechanoid raids. It just stopped being fun at all after the third one, I don't know why I didn't just cut my losses and stop playing for a bit. One of my colonists ended up having a mental breakdown from being constantly drafted to fight poo poo off, I finally got one of my folks to tame a muffalo (nobody has animal skills) and I swear to god on its way back to the animal pen a centipede shows up and torches it to death. It's like, loving really?! I can't even have this little thing? :bang:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

beerinator posted:

I just had 23 year old female model join that way. I took her in (hey, bros, it's a model!) and fought off fifteen jerks chasing her and then find out she's only capable of art...

Hah, I hope you weren't expecting models to be useful.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Tagichatn posted:

Hah, I hope you weren't expecting models to be useful.

Hey, relationships, man! Maybe one of my one armed guys can finally get lucky!

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

beerinator posted:

She's capable of organ donation.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Gibbo posted:

She's capable of organ donation.

Now this is a man who knows his Rimworld.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is there a known issue with trader caravans just dropping dead outta nowhere? I had a bunch of tribals swing by my base, and the next thing I knew they were all dead and their poo poo was in my stockpile. The corpses disappeared into graves before I could examine what killed them, but I know it wasn't any of my guys or my turrets. Unless they ran into the single grizzly bear on the map or something, I dunno what could have killed them. Their faction is piiiissed.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Open the graves, you can get the corpse out again. And I totally believe you did not murder them and take their poo poo.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I didn't, cross my heart. I even gave them a few shiny nickels for their medical marijuana.

I opened up all my graves and none of them are there :spooky:. All their poo poo is definitely in my stockpile, and I had the corpse of their muffalo briefly but it got butchered before I thought to check it for wounds. The one grizzly bear on the map doesn't have any wounds so I doubt they got eaten by him. Besides, when guys die isn't their poo poo usually forbidden? There are no corpses lying around, no signs of battle. Spooky.

fakeedit: loving :laffo:, I think I know what happened. One of the deadfall traps out in front of my base is tripped. I'll bet what happened was, their muffalo somehow wandered into the trap, triggered it, and got gibbed, and that was carrying their trade goods. The rest must have just walked off and left 1000 silver and some shiny artifacts lying in front of my base. And that's why I have a bunch of psychic lances and other crazy poo poo littering my stockpile. :eyepop:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Is customizing a colonist an option in this game? I derive like 80 percent of my joy via self-inserts.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

beerinator posted:

Have her pump out wooden sculptures 24/7 and sell them for decent money.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Blacktoll posted:

Is customizing a colonist an option in this game? I derive like 80 percent of my joy via self-inserts.

You can change their names without mods.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Blacktoll posted:

The Prepare Carefully mod lets you customize pretty much everything before starting the game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

IAmTheRad posted:

You can change their names without mods.

There's also just a place in the settings where you can define names you want to appear. I believe the BackstoriesCore mod will also allow you to define lists of names that will show up.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Backstory mod also lets you edit in custom flavor text and skill +/- for your childhood/adult backstory settings so you can go full Mary Sue on it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I am so disappointed, I rolled a map with two huge shrines visible on it (as in, room for 9 capsules) and after nearly two years psyching myself up for it, I go break the first one open and ... nothing guarding it. All the capsules contain dead guys. So I go to the second shrine and crack it and ... again all the capsules contain dad guys :smith:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Flesh Forge posted:

I am so disappointed, I rolled a map with two huge shrines visible on it (as in, room for 9 capsules) and after nearly two years psyching myself up for it, I go break the first one open and ... nothing guarding it. All the capsules contain dead guys. So I go to the second shrine and crack it and ... again all the capsules contain dad guys :smith:

At least you could have a round of beers and poor jokes with the second group :iamafag:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Flesh Forge posted:

Flesh Forge opens the capsure, hoping desperately he got there in time. He calls out into the darkness, asking if anyone was still alive.

Silence. Thundering silence that seemed to last forever. As he turns away he hears a voice call out from the darkness.

"Hey kid, what's the difference between a hippo and a zippo?"

Flesh looks surprised, but continues listening, wondering what strange riddle this was.

"One is very heavy, the other is a little lighter!".

More silence.

With a sigh, Flesh closes up the capsule. There were no survivors on this day.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I rescued a lady from a trade caravan that got beaten up by a grizzly. She lost a leg so she can't move, so she can't leave the map, and I guess since she's a guest I can't take her for surgery and give her a peg leg. Basically she just lies in bed and gets fed. I'd like to get rid of her without pissing off the faction she's a part of since they're already kinda low. Any ideas, or do I have to just stop feeding her and accept the relations hit?

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
Can you arrest her and then give her the peg leg surgery

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Shuffle posted:

Can you arrest her and then give her the peg leg surgery

To arrest her you may have to mark the bed shes in for prisoners so that it ejects her.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

dogstile posted:

With a sigh, Flesh closes up the capsule. There were no survivors on this day.

One of them fell out of the cryptosleep box, barfed, and groaned, "Oh god somebody pull my finger"

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Frog Assassin posted:

I rescued a lady from a trade caravan that got beaten up by a grizzly. She lost a leg so she can't move, so she can't leave the map, and I guess since she's a guest I can't take her for surgery and give her a peg leg. Basically she just lies in bed and gets fed. I'd like to get rid of her without pissing off the faction she's a part of since they're already kinda low. Any ideas, or do I have to just stop feeding her and accept the relations hit?

Wait for her faction to show up again. When they leave there's a decent chance you'll get a message "Visitors from ____ are taking a wounded guest." rather than the usual leave message - they'll pick up the injured victim from bed and take them off the map. Had the same problem myself for a while but the faction stopped by to claim them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

^^ Just forbid the door and she'll eventually starve, if you want another way

Flesh Forge posted:

I'd like a compromise Storyteller between Randy Random and Cassandra, Randy is pretty dull (more cargo pod drops than anything else) and Cassandra I'm getting a bit sick of. Last ice sheet colony wiped due to a manhunter pack of 18 wargs vs. my 5 colonists. :black101:

Anyone heard of any modded storyteller that's somewhere in between?

It turns out this is pretty easy to nerf locally, the big problem is minDaysBetweenThreatBigs:

code:
    <StorytellerDef>
		<defName>Cassandra</defName>
    <label>Cassandra Classic</label>
    <description>Cassandra creates story events on a steadily-increasing curve of challenge and tension.</description>
    <quotation>The essence of good storytelling is the perfect progression of intensifying struggle.</quotation>
    <incidentMakers>
      <li>IncidentMaker_MainClassic</li>
      <li>IncidentMaker_Disease</li>
      <li>IncidentMaker_ShipChunkDrop</li>
    </incidentMakers>
    <listOrder>20</listOrder>
    <portraitLarge>UI/HeroArt/Storytellers/CassandraClassic</portraitLarge>
    <portraitTiny>UI/HeroArt/Storytellers/CassandraClassicTiny</portraitTiny>
    <desiredPopulationMin>4</desiredPopulationMin>
    <desiredPopulationMax>13</desiredPopulationMax>
    <desiredPopulationCritical>18</desiredPopulationCritical>
    <threatCycleLength>9.2</threatCycleLength>
    <minDaysBetweenThreatBigs>1.9</minDaysBetweenThreatBigs>
    <classic_RandomEventMTBDays>1.00</classic_RandomEventMTBDays>
    <classic_ThreatSmallMTBDays>3.75</classic_ThreatSmallMTBDays>
    <classic_ThreatBigMTBDays>1.25</classic_ThreatBigMTBDays>
  </StorytellerDef>

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I wish pawns were a little more clever about hypothermia. I keep catching them walking inside, warming up the tiniest bit, then going back out and repeating until their extremities fall off :( Just stay inside until your stop shivering you fools.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Danaru posted:

I wish pawns were a little more clever about hypothermia. I keep catching them walking inside, warming up the tiniest bit, then going back out and repeating until their extremities fall off :( Just stay inside until your stop shivering you fools.

With heat stroke (same mechanic) I found it easier to draft them so they're under direct control, walk them into the freezer to cool and only release them once they shake it off completely. Micromanage your peons for best effect.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

Set them on fire to keep them warm.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I have this cannibal colony going at about a year and a half, and it's been touch and go with long periods of starvation for a long time because I figured I wouldn't need any food farming (oops) but when they were at their lowest point, a huge caravan of tribals came, and it was just too tempting:

You shouldn't have come :(

e: and then the wheel of karma turned and a manhunter pack of boomalopes came :rip:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 7, 2016

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I've had a boomalope manhunter pack before. They run so slowly, I had no issue fighting them. The problem was managing the inferno afterwards and saving all that meat.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

But what if you're all melee, what then

e: I mean of course I could have picked up some rubbish ranged poo poo and handed it but eh :shrug:

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Do personal shields protect against explosions? It might be doable then.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It isn't the explosion damage, which I think they do block, it's getting ignited by each one that pops, running around helplessly while on fire, and when there's 15-20 of them it's pretty horrible.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Cool new mod time: Trade Request: Caravans. Get traders to come to you! https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=19992.0

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Rikiki's Fish Industry mod has been updated for A13 if you had been waiting for it (I sure was).

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
How do I change what crops my guys will plant? So far they only want to grow potatoes.

Also how do I set my storage zones to only allow certain items? My walk in freezer is full of wood and leather.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

South posted:

How do I change what crops my guys will plant? So far they only want to grow potatoes.

Also how do I set my storage zones to only allow certain items? My walk in freezer is full of wood and leather.

Click the grow zone, there's a tab on the dialogue box that pops up in the bottom left that says Potato Plant, click that to change it.

Storage zones work the same way, click the zone and then the Storage button. Then select what you want in your freezer, make sure to allow animal corpses and forbid rotten things and human/mechanoid bodies. Herbal medicine is perishable and should be kept in the freezer as well.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Also be aware of how the Priority slider works - it doesn't have anything to do with the order in which haul jobs will be done, it determines which stockpile will get a type of item when you have more than one stockpile.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah your first stockpile, I recommend setting it's priority to the lowest. That way when you get more specialized stockpiles, pawns will move things out of that general stock in to them and it will continue to operate as an overflow.

This is particularly handy for meals, as you can freeze the lower priority stores and easily sell excess to traders.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 12, 2016

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

So, for example, you have two stockpiles for whatever, a large general one on normal priority and a small one next to your workshop/stove/whatever with a slightly higher priority. Your haulers will make sure the higher priority one is filled first and foremost, only putting things in the general storage space when the priority one is full. Then, whenever the higher priority stockpile runs low they'll haul from the general one to fill it up.

You can do a lot with the quality sliders as well. I usually have a stockpile of usable weapons and clothing, anything above normal quality and above 50% wear, for use by my colonists. Everything of worse quality gets hauled to the trade beacon so I can sell it off, whether that's a crappy but 99% shirt or a superior pair of awesome trousers that are falling apart at the seams. Tribal wear and weapons of course always get sold off.

I really like how you can customize these things quite easily. It made the game so much less tedious when I learned how to use those systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Make sure to keep your food stockpile close to your kitchen and dining area. I saw a few screencaps where pawns would have to walk 30-40 tiles minimum each way just to fetch food, cook it, and walk back.

Also having a medicine/secondary food cooler next to your hospital (if its not near your main cooler) cuts down on travel time for doctors feeding/treating patients. Requires a little micromanagement, prioritizing and forbidding but it makes it a lot easier to handle when half the colony gets malaria or w/e and your only doc is running 20 miles a day to keep up.