Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Yeah that. Think it'll be worth the wait? I really don't understand the technical specifications of video memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
So the is the 1070 launch going to be a paper launch or will we see them widely available? I would hope they are widely available since they are harvested 1080 chips.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

OC cards basically out same time.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

A new Xbox? Bill Cipher is back again?

Well anyway I'm suddenly interested in the 1070.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

spasticColon posted:

So the is the 1070 launch going to be a paper launch or will we see them widely available? I would hope they are widely available since they are harvested 1080 chips.
You will likely see the 1070 in quantity, and 1060/ti in even bigger numbers if they want to rub salt in AMD's five-year wound

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Nothing in the <$300 range announced?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

lurksion posted:

Nope, that's Polaris 10 pricerange now. NVIDIA just kneecapped any chip performing at 390X levels.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

lurksion posted:

Yeah, the 980Ti :)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nope, that's Polaris 10 or Polaris 11 pricerange now.
It was always intended to be. The question is, how low are they going to price a 390x dieshrink, assuming the stock clock is 1.1/1.2ghz on P10

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

AMD just please make the 490X or whatever like 300 bucks and short Nvidia on price, thanks.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

DrDork posted:

Yeah, the 980Ti :)

This guy

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah that. Think it'll be worth the wait? I really don't understand the technical specifications of video memory.

The memory just has to be fast enough to keep up with the demands of the GPU, it's not so much that HBM2 on its own does much but that the big Pascal and Vegas will be fast enough to require that much memory bandwidth in the first place. If I had a 980Ti I would wait to upgrade unless you're currently doing something really demanding like 4k or VR right now and are running into framerate issues in games.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Your 980ti value is already dead except on ebay so might as well hold out.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FaintlyQuaint posted:

$379 1070 faster than TX are you loving kidding me

Hello and welcome to September 26 2014. This isn't new. High end NV cards don't loving last.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nope, that's Polaris 10 pricerange now. NVIDIA just kneecapped any chip performing at 390X levels.

Depends on the price they want for it. Plenty of people with older cards out there and not a ton of money.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You will likely see the 1070 in quantity, and 1060/ti in even bigger numbers if they want to rub salt in AMD's five-year wound

I would only get a 1060/ti if I knew it didn't have a gimped memory bus like my current 660Ti. Hell, I might wait until the 1070 is out in the wild and tested thoroughly to make sure it doesn't have a section of gimped VRAM. :tinfoil:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

MaxxBot posted:

The memory just has to be fast enough to keep up with the demands of the GPU, it's not so much that HBM2 on its own does much but that the big Pascal and Vegas will be fast enough to require that much memory bandwidth in the first place. If I had a 980Ti I would wait to upgrade unless you're currently doing something really demanding like 4k or VR right now and are running into framerate issues in games.

Nah I'm still doing 1080 albeit on a 144hz monitor.

If I wait until next year I can build a PC with cannon lake too.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Your 980ti value is already dead except on ebay so might as well hold out.
Sell it now while it's still worth $310

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Prob have $549 non ref cards in june or july.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

spasticColon posted:

I would only get a 1060/ti if I knew it didn't have a gimped memory bus like my current 660Ti. Hell, I might wait until the 1070 is out in the wild and tested thoroughly to make sure it doesn't have a section of gimped VRAM. :tinfoil:
With potentially 7gb of usable VRAM you won't have to worry for even longer. 3.5gb was a problem only because consoles were constantly running over that number on video assets alone.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
So obviously the 1070 is the premier value card in the market come next month.

The real question remaining is simple: is the Founders Edition worth the extra money? I could easily see dropping the extra for the Founders edition in lieu of getting a 1080, if that' s a nice middle ground of price/performance between the two lines.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

xthetenth posted:

Hello and welcome to September 26 2014. This isn't new. High end NV cards don't loving last.

Thirteen months seems fine for a PC product that should be nothing but a luxury purchase?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Also I'd loving laugh if that graph was performance in something like Ashes or Quantum Break.

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Thirteen months seems fine for a PC product that should be nothing but a luxury purchase?

If you buy a top end NV card and aren't expecting to sell it used and buy the new top end like a screwed up rental plan, you're gonna pay a lot more for the cards. Don't buy them expecting them to last.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AMD is gonna have to make an announcement before may 27th or lose a huge number of buyers.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

Also I'd loving laugh if that graph was performance in something like Ashes or Quantum Break.
Facts don't stop the fire sales though

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taima posted:

The real question remaining is simple: is the Founders Edition worth the extra money? I could easily see dropping the extra for the Founders edition in lieu of getting a 1080, if that' s a nice middle ground of price/performance between the two lines.

if founders is for better OC might as well wait for non-reference cards and really crank it up for the best value

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Taima posted:

It probably won't be worth it purely from a price/performance perspective but I will probably waste the $100 on it anyways.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

xthetenth posted:

If you buy a top end NV card and aren't expecting to sell it used and buy the new top end like a screwed up rental plan, you're gonna pay a lot more for the cards. Don't buy them expecting them to last.

Well yeah that's my point. If you spend like $1k on a video card you should be in a position where that doesn't matter?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

AMD is gonna have to make an announcement before may 27th or lose a huge number of buyers.

That's a pretty reasonable timeframe. If they'd launched with stock it'd be a lot nastier.

Fauxtool posted:

if founders is for better OC might as well wait for non-reference cards and really crank it up for the best value

I'd be real interested to see if they just started ASIC binning or something like that.

Comedy option: founders has all 8 GB as good memory.

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Well yeah that's my point. If you spend like $1k on a video card you should be in a position where that doesn't matter?

For sure. However, for a while now it's well worth pointing out that having a good video card all the time is a hell of a lot more expensive than having it except for the ~month that the new hotness is on the horizon. They depreciate maybe a hundred in a year and then their value drops by half in a day.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm really interested in their ~multi display view~ whatever they were talking about and how it works for VR and what the support is like. I've got a Vive and I'm wanting more performance is pretty much everything VR so for that reason alone I'm into this new poo poo.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xthetenth posted:

That's a pretty reasonable timeframe. If they'd launched with stock it'd be a lot nastier.

I'd be real interested to see if they just started ASIC binning or something like that.

Comedy option: founders has all 8 GB as good memory.

For sure. However, for a while now it's well worth pointing out that having a good video card all the time is a hell of a lot more expensive than having it except for the ~month that the new hotness is on the horizon.

other companies do it and people pay more for it. Im sure nvidia doesnt want to leave money on the table like that.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

xthetenth posted:

For sure. However, for a while now it's well worth pointing out that having a good video card all the time is a hell of a lot more expensive than having it except for the ~month that the new hotness is on the horizon. They depreciate maybe a hundred in a year and then their value drops by half in a day.
Yeah definitely.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can realistically still sell your 980ti on ebay and craiglist for 450, but with the knowledge that the person buying probably hasnt heard the news

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

other companies do it and people pay more for it. Im sure nvidia doesnt want to leave money on the table like that.

Not AMD (AMD get your poo poo together).

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Fauxtool posted:

That makes sense for sure. Did they mention when non-reference cards will be hitting?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Taima posted:

That makes sense for sure. Did they mention when non-reference cards will be hitting?
They did not. But smart money would say not long after, if not simultaneously. This ain't a Fury X launch.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

980tis being relisted on the used market as low as $310 and likely dropping :toot:

lmao :capitalism:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Taima posted:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Will using this 1080 on a pice 1.0 motherboard affect FPS vs using it on a pcie 3.0 motherboard?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

Will using this 1080 on a pice 1.0 motherboard affect FPS vs using it on a pcie 3.0 motherboard?
Not by enough to notice, no.

Considering how old that implies the rest of your system is, though, there'd be a good chance it'll end up being CPU limited in many games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Holyshoot posted:

Yes, but not to the extent you notice. It's something like a 2% drop. Going to PCIE x4/x2 drops it more noticably.