Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ceciltron posted:

Northwest passage would make a good replacement national anthem for Anglo-Canadia.

Then you'd have literally dozens! of people complaining that Stan Rogers glorifies an absolute shithead like John Franklin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Ceciltron posted:

Ahhh always good to know we're on something awful, where reddit level atheist edgehavers can make jokes about the destruction of centuries and millenia-old cultural centers, comparing these to 15 year old mining settlements.

Yikes.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

eXXon posted:

I think that Fort Mac will be rebuilt with bike lanes and tree-lined avenues and walkable neighbourhoods after some careful and sober reflection.

And buildings made out of inflammable masonry, like every other city that has ever had a Great Fire of some kind.

haha no, it's just going to be lovely wood frame sprawl again

e: That's a photo posted on Reddit of a Fort Mac residential street near some of the damage. You could fit in two bike lanes, an LRT down the middle, add sidewalks and still have room for four lanes of traffic. Christ.

sitchensis fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 7, 2016

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
someone needs to tell the driver of that yellow truck he's not supposed to park there :colbert:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

sitchensis posted:

And buildings made out of inflammable masonry, like every other city that has ever had a Great Fire of some kind.

haha no, it's just going to be lovely wood frame sprawl again

e: That's a photo posted on Reddit of a Fort Mac residential street near some of the damage. You could fit in two bike lanes, an LRT down the middle, add sidewalks and still have room for four lanes of traffic. Christ.

No way gently caress that if you put in sidewalks then people couldn't plug in their cars because the cord cant cross a sidewalk and the roads have to be super wide so that everyone can park their car on the road and you can squeeze by when two people stop in the middle of the road, roll down their windows and have a conversation.

Because nothing shall get in the way of the car. Driving is sacred.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sitchensis posted:

You could fit in two bike lanes, an LRT down the middle, add sidewalks and still have room for four lanes of traffic. Christ.

yeah but how many raised f350s

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

It's actually so the road stays a reasonable width when six foot wide snowbanks get plowed up on the side of the road in the winter, but keep up with the irrational hate, did you get your full two minutes in today?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

eXXon posted:

I think that Fort Mac will be rebuilt with bike lanes and tree-lined avenues and walkable neighbourhoods after some careful and sober reflection.

Solar panels and community gardens, too.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ductonius posted:

It's actually so the road stays a reasonable width when six foot wide snowbanks get plowed up on the side of the road in the winter, but keep up with the irrational hate, did you get your full two minutes in today?

Good lord, how does the rest of the country do it? Or is Fort Mac the only town with snow these days?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

We get triple the snowfall annually and manage just fine with regular roads and sidewalks. Atlantic Canada is known for superior government services though...

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

infernal machines posted:

Good lord, how does the rest of the country do it? Or is Fort Mac the only town with snow these days?

Well, in the older neighborhoods of Edmonton there's only enough room for three lanes: 2 parking and one driving. Usually we do the Canadian standoff, or if there's enough room the driver that sees enough space on the righthand side dekes over to give enough room for oncoming vehicles to get past. The courtesy wave is mandatory too. This is an avenue right near my house in South Edmonton, for example.

Actually, this is a poor example; the road's too wide.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
we get snow like 2 days a year tops, and if anything sticks on the roads every driver in the GVRD loses their goddamn minds so YMMV

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
That's roughly how it works in Toronto too. We don't get anything like the snowfall of Fort Mac, or even Edmonton, but we do get snowfall. The city core was built pre-car, the roads are often one lane each way, with on street parking, but with the exception of the winter of '99, we manage without having a suburban expressway on every street.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

You'd think a town of rugged, get the job done types would be able to handle 150 cm without freeways for roads.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kafka Esq. posted:

Counterpoint: Mecca or Vatican City.

The Saudi's are doing a really good job of bulldozing the gently caress out of mecca but it doesn't seem to be making anything better.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

Fort McMurray and the Fires of Climate Change

The town of Fort McMurray, some four hundred miles north of Calgary, in Canada, grew up very quickly on both sides of the Athabasca River. During the nineteen-seventies, the population of the town tripled, and since then it has nearly tripled again. All this growth has been fuelled by a single activity: extracting oil from a Florida-sized formation known as the tar sands. When the price of oil was high, there was so much currency coursing through Fort McMurray’s check-cashing joints that the town was dubbed “Fort McMoney.”

Now Fort McMurray is burning. A forest fire that began to the southwest of the town on Sunday has forced the entire population—almost ninety thousand people—to evacuate. On Wednesday, Alberta’s provincial government declared a state of emergency. By yesterday, more than fifteen hundred buildings had been destroyed and the blaze had spread through an area covering more than three hundred square miles. It was burning so hot that that it was easily able to jump major rivers. One Canadian official described the fire as “catastrophic.” Another called it a “multi-headed monster.”

No one knows exactly how the fire began—whether it was started by a lightning strike or by a spark provided by a person—but it’s clear why the blaze, once under way, raged out of control so quickly. Alberta experienced an unusually dry and warm winter. Precipitation was low, about half of the norm, and what snow there was melted early. April was exceptionally mild, with temperatures regularly in the seventies; two days ago, the thermometer hit ninety, which is about thirty degrees higher than the region’s normal May maximum. “You hate to use the ​cliché, but it really was kind of a perfect storm,” Mike Wotton, a research scientist with the Canadian Forest Service, told the CBC.

Though it’s tough to pin any particular disaster on climate change, in the case of Fort McMurray the link is pretty compelling. In Canada, and also in the United States and much of the rest of the world, higher temperatures have been extending the wildfire season. Last year, wildfires consumed ten million acres in the U.S., which was the largest area of any year on record. All of the top five years occurred in the past decade. In some areas, “we now have year-round fire seasons,” Matt Jolly, a research ecologist for the United States Forest Service, recently told the Times.

“You can say it couldn’t get worse,” Jolly added, but based on its own projections, the forest service expects that it will get worse. According to a Forest Service report published last April, “Climate change has led to fire seasons that are now on average 78 days longer than in 1970.” Over the past three decades, the area destroyed each year by forest fires has doubled, and the service’s scientists project that it’s likely to “double again by midcentury.” A group of scientists who analyzed lake cores from Alaska to obtain a record of forest fires over the past ten thousand years found that, in recent decades, blazes were both unusually frequent and unusually severe. “This extreme combination suggests a transition to a unique regime of unprecedented fire activity,” they concluded.

All of this brings us to what one commentator referred to as “the black irony” of the fire that has destroyed most of Fort McMurray.

The town exists to get at the tar sands, and the tar sands produce a particularly carbon-intensive form of fuel. (The fight over the Keystone XL pipeline is, at its heart, a fight over whether the U.S. should be encouraging —or, if you prefer, profiting from—the exploitation of the tar sands.) The more carbon that goes into the atmosphere, the warmer the world will get, and the more likely we are to see devastating fires like the one now raging.

To raise environmental concerns in the midst of human tragedy is to risk the charge of insensitivity. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau alluded to this danger at a recent news conference: “Any time we try to make a political argument out of one particular disaster, I think there’s a bit of a shortcut that can sometimes not have the desired outcome.” And certainly it would be wrong to blame the residents of Fort McMurray for the disaster that has befallen them. As Andrew Weaver, a Canadian climate scientist who is a Green Party member of British Columbia’s provincial legislature, noted, “The reality is we are all consumers of products that come from oil.”

But to fail to acknowledge the connection is to risk another kind of offense. We are all consumers of oil, not to mention coal and natural gas, which means that we’ve all contributed to the latest inferno. We need to own up to our responsibility, and then we need to do something about it. The fire next time is one that we’ve been warned about, and that we’ve all had a hand in starting.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Its weird how the article related the location from Calgary rather than much closer Edmonton.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The smoke from the fires is starting to reach Saskatchewan. Last year the smoke was pretty bad, but I'm not sure how it compares to the current fires. Right now though I'd say it's like some dumb rear end in a top hat puffing on a cig is following me around blowing smoke in my face, furthermore

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Kafka Esq. posted:

Took me three minutes. I have one toilet.

Maybe if you get the short form. We got lucky in our house and got the long form to fill out. Over half an hour and god help you if you accidentally close the window or walk away for too long cause it doesn't actually save your spot.

Thanks Trudeau :argh:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

flashman posted:

You'd think a town of rugged, get the job done types would be able to handle 150 cm without freeways for roads.

GBS Alberta Thread crossposting:

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

quaint bucket posted:

How much of the reserve burned? I thought about it today and was wondering what the gov't gonna do about it because I can't imagine they had insurances for the houses on the Rez.

How much of Fort Mac is gone now? It sounds like it's a mix at this point and trailer parks are gone. I really hope when they rebuild it is that they will learn from New Orlean after Katrina.

About 80% of Fort Mac is burned. The entire KM2 of burned losses would equal the entire city of Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, or Ottawa. Gross claims on Civil / Commercial property will tally about 3b, lump in another 2b for claims. Had Notley/Prentice decided to keep 30mm in the budget for the fire crews this all could have been shut down in about 2 days with a couple of backhoes and 2 water bombers.

edit: Oddly enough, I agree with /pol. When a friend of mine ran a bar up there, every person on staff down to the line cooks had WHMIS and Fire training. During the summers, most would night-shift and they would work on Horizon or Aurora 2. I can't say the same for your average Laval or St. John's NFLD bedroom community of equal sq. KM.

Hal_2005 fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 7, 2016

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
WHMIS saved Fort McMurray

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

infernal machines posted:

That's roughly how it works in Toronto too. We don't get anything like the snowfall of Fort Mac, or even Edmonton, but we do get snowfall. The city core was built pre-car, the roads are often one lane each way, with on street parking, but with the exception of the winter of '99, we manage without having a suburban expressway on every street.

Based on your average traffic levels on a normal day in downtown toronto, I wouldn't say that toronto "works". Functions, perhaps. But saying it works is highly optimistic.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
It's so wasteful for rural towns to not just be a giant condo building next to a giant cubicle building. Buncha rubes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hal_2005 posted:

edit: Oddly enough, I agree with /pol.

Shocking

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ikantski posted:

It's so wasteful for rural towns to not just be a giant condo building next to a giant cubicle building. Buncha rubes.

On the other hand, there's no good reason why a small town shouldn't be walkable or bikeable at the very least. It's not like you have so many people that things absolutely must be spread out.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

PT6A posted:

On the other hand, there's no good reason why a small town shouldn't be walkable or bikeable at the very least. It's not like you have so many people that things absolutely must be spread out.

See also: European small towns

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
European small towns loving own. Drive in, park your car, see the entire thing on foot and never want, let alone need, to get into the car until you're ready to leave.

No wonder we're so god damned fat over here, me included.

EDIT: hell, you know what the biggest part of it is, now? From the top down our society for the past 80 years has been so car centric we just can't escape it. Everything from where we work to where we live is centered around the car that most neighborhoods that have been built since I was born have been planned under the assumption that everyone will just drive to wherever they want to go. poo poo, you can't even find a modern neighborhood with a corner store that doesn't have a massive parking lot because it's shoved into the corner of the subdivision and extremely inconvenient to get to on foot.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 7, 2016

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Baronjutter posted:

Its weird how the article related the location from Calgary rather than much closer Edmonton.
I'm noticing that for a lot of publications, including the Guardian. I presume no reputable publication wants to expose its employees to the conditions in Edmonton.

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Meat Recital posted:

Hey. Should I fill out my census this time or is it a useless piece of poo poo like the last one?
Fill it out, with the missing data from Fort McMurray we need all the stats we can get

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

You're just extrapolating from that one pic

https://imgur.com/a/yKm4V

Lots of sidewalks.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Albino Squirrel posted:

I'm noticing that for a lot of publications, including the Guardian. I presume no reputable publication wants to expose its employees to the conditions in Edmonton.

I assume it's because more people outside of Canada are familiar with Calgary than Edmonton.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

EvilJoven posted:

European small towns loving own. Drive in, park your car, see the entire thing on foot and never want, let alone need, to get into the car until you're ready to leave.

No wonder we're so god damned fat over here, me included.

EDIT: hell, you know what the biggest part of it is, now? From the top down our society for the past 80 years has been so car centric we just can't escape it. Everything from where we work to where we live is centered around the car that most neighborhoods that have been built since I was born have been planned under the assumption that everyone will just drive to wherever they want to go. poo poo, you can't even find a modern neighborhood with a corner store that doesn't have a massive parking lot because it's shoved into the corner of the subdivision and extremely inconvenient to get to on foot.

Yeah it's actually really awesome. Even my hometown in Europe is completely walkable. Hell I found myself walking 90% of UK towns including London and public transit reliably handled the rest. I'd gladly move to London if I could get a job there.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Hal_2005 posted:

About 80% of Fort Mac is burned. The entire KM2 of burned losses would equal the entire city of Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, or Ottawa. Gross claims on Civil / Commercial property will tally about 3b, lump in another 2b for claims. Had Notley/Prentice decided to keep 30mm in the budget for the fire crews this all could have been shut down in about 2 days with a couple of backhoes and 2 water bombers.

edit: Oddly enough, I agree with /pol. When a friend of mine ran a bar up there, every person on staff down to the line cooks had WHMIS and Fire training. During the summers, most would night-shift and they would work on Horizon or Aurora 2. I can't say the same for your average Laval or St. John's NFLD bedroom community of equal sq. KM.

Good poo poo my man

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

never happy posted:

WHMIS saved Fort McMurray

Hey! Somebody grab the MSDS for fire! We need to know what we are dealing with here! Is everyone heading to the muster point?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hal_2005 posted:

Yeah, um, most fire training comprises of: If its small enough, handle it, if its bigger, leave and let professionals handle it.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

DariusLikewise posted:

Hey! Somebody grab the MSDS for fire! We need to know what we are dealing with here! Is everyone heading to the muster point?

Good thing I always back into my driveway that saved me at least 5 seconds!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

apatheticman posted:

Good thing I always back into my driveway that saved me at least 5 seconds!

Lol if you don't back in everywhere you go. It's way safer than backing out.

It's also quicker, but not by enough that it should be a significant motivating factor.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I appreciate the residents of Fort M need something to brighten their day, but nobodies afternoon fire extinguisher training helped here. The true villain here was Notley for not just throwing thirty million dollars at it and just putting it out. I know this as I am also highly trained in fire fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I don't think safety training made or broke the evacuation effort, but my guess is that people who have jobs where they're frequently/always in some degree of danger probably reacted better than those who don't, because making good (and quick) decisions in the face of danger is not a naturally-occurring skill.