Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Don Lapre posted:

AMD is gonna have to make an announcement before may 27th or lose a huge number of buyers.

who?

No but really, ive said it so many times I know im just being an rear end in a top hat now but they've had all the time in the world to release before being lapped and they, apparently, just could not do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don't you have a 980ti that's now worth 45% of what you bought it for to sell

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Don't you have a 980ti that's now worth 45% of what you bought it for to sell

YES, gently caress

Oh well, its a really great card and thats ultimately why I decided not to sell afterall. Can I really be mad that there's another good card out? lol. It's just annoying because I almost pulled the trigger it couldn't have been more on the fence. I betted against nvidia releasing soon, I bet wrong.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 7, 2016

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

who?

No but really, ive said it so many times I know im just being an rear end in a top hat now but they've had all the time in the world to release before being lapped and they, apparently, just could not do it.

amd needs to refocus on the bitcoin market to really cement their status as the king of dried strawberry heatstrokes

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I almost feel sorry for all the people that bought a new 980Ti at full price. Almost. :laugh:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

DrDork posted:

Not by enough to notice, no.

Considering how old that implies the rest of your system is, though, there'd be a good chance it'll end up being CPU limited in many games.

Rest of my system is a 690, and a 2600k unlocked i7 sandy bridge. I just want to be able to do 120FPS for my 120hz monitor on most games I play on max settings.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
If the 1070 is better than 980ti performance for $380, just how low are the 2nd hand 980ti's gonna get?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Bardeh posted:

If the 1070 is better than 980ti performance for $380, just how low are the 2nd hand 980ti's gonna get?

Just last last time, below $380 (unless you find a sucker)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bardeh posted:

Right now? $310

Probably going to go even lower once the 1070s start being sold.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Bardeh posted:

I'm more intrigued by how low the Titan Xs will go, now that they're being outperformed by a $380 value card :psyduck:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Holyshoot posted:

Rest of my system is a 690, and a 2600k unlocked i7 sandy bridge. I just want to be able to do 120FPS for my 120hz monitor on most games I play on max settings.

You'll probably be fine with the 2600k until it dies on you at this rate, especially for gaming.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Not sure if I'll go 1070 or 1080 yet. Want to see the reviews from hardware sites but I'm excited. My 970 has served me well but since I bought a 1440p monitor it doesn't quite keep up as well as I'd like.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
gonna go to kroger and buy a bucket of nitrogen so i can feel better about my lovely 980ti!!!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MaxxBot posted:

You'll probably be fine with the 2600k until it dies on you at this rate, especially for gaming.

Sounds good to me.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

literally bought a 980ti a month ago so i wouldnt have to wait for VR :downs:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Glad i sold my x's for what i paid for them earlier this year.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Tweak posted:

still in return policy? lol

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Tweak posted:

I'm sorry.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'm excited that by the time I'm ready to upgrade my 970 will be worth about $30.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I've had my 980ti since August. It was a good run. Can I EVGA step up or do I have to wait for the 1080ti?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whats with the special sli bridges for the 1080? Will sli almost be not terrible?
I got 10 months out of my 980ti, im at peace

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fauxtool posted:

whats with the special sli bridges for the 1080? Will sli almost be not terrible?

Are they NVLink?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Realistically we won't see the 1080Ti until this time next year?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Fauxtool posted:

Pretty sure they are just fancy designs. Nvidia has always sold a fancy sli bridge. Its no different than the cheap ribbon otherwise.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Anti-Hero posted:

Yeah you're probably right. Unless AMD punches back in a shocking way (say 1080 power at sub $500 price)

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Tweak posted:

I bought a 970 maybe three months ago for the same reason and ended up not getting a VR headset. Still glad I got the 970, though. My 280x was getting a little long in the tooth in more recent games.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Anti-Hero posted:

Depends on amd

980ti launched 8m after 980/970. titan x was like 5m after 980/970

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Don Lapre posted:

Pretty sure they are just fancy designs. Nvidia has always sold a fancy sli bridge. Its no different than the cheap ribbon otherwise.

the launch site says only compatible with the new cards. That would be silly if it was because physical design not function

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

KidDynamite posted:

I've had my 980ti since August. It was a good run. Can I EVGA step up or do I have to wait for the 1080ti?

Step-Up is a 3-month window after purchase, so, no.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Tweak posted:

I was in the same boat and I just have an unopened Oculus sitting in my room since I can't play it yet. Glad I waited, but I could see wanting to buy a card quick so you could play.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Step-Up is a 3-month window after purchase, so, no.

Oh loving hell I thought step up was a discounted upgrade. Womp womp!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Anti-Hero posted:

Pretty much for sure. They're backordered on the big chip's compute card till start of next year, and then once supply builds they're going to milk with the Titan and probably wait a bit after that to release the 1080 Ti unless AMD does something extraordinary with big Vega.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
GUYS you are all looking at it wrong
if 1080 is twice as good as titan and the 980ti OCed is titan power, then just buy a second $300 980ti to SLI with. Right? :downs:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

yeah but you're going to get less than 65% scaling with sli in practice.....and that's if it works

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

yeah but you're going to get less than 65% scaling with sli in practice

Depends on the game. Bf4 gets in the 90s

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Glorious RoTR multicard scaling is pretty fantastic.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

yeah but you're going to get less than 65% scaling with sli in practice

Much worse. Minimums are what really matter most of the time, and that means frequent 0% scaling :woop:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

To quote the official site:

quote:

NVIDIA’s new SLI HB bridge doubles the available transfer bandwidth compared to the NVIDIA Maxwell™ architecture.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Where's my new SFF single slot card

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
*is really mad a company releases products that stomp their own products :mad:*

nah for real this is sadder than the 780ti though cause there was precedent this time. this is my own fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BurritoJustice posted:

To quote the official site:

Yea see that now