Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Great. Now I want a Jaguar for the sole purpose of painting Brack on there.

Perfect Lemons idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

it's a cadillac thing, you wouldn't understand

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't want to understand.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

razorscooter posted:

I have never seen a more appropriate handicapped placard

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Some things are not meant to be understood, but merely stared at in awe.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

razorscooter posted:

I've been looking at that for 10 minutes now and i've been finding something new and horrible the whole time

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
How about the fact that, without the doors, you're missing something like 30-40% of the structural integrity.

I know that DavesFarm (davidsfarm?) was a pedophile or whatever, but he had a bunch of videos where he had buicks, cadillacs, and oldsmobiles of that same platform and experimented with jumping them or cracking them in half. He showed another video where he had a Delta 88 ('90 or so) with minor rust, jacked up the front a foot with a forklift, opened the doors, and you suddenly couldn't close the doors anymore because the car had buckled. He then cut the roof off to make a convertible and the car plain cracked in half.

It was the car he eventually made the "front axle only" thing, where he finished cutting off everything behind the driver's seats, put a fuel tank in the front passenger seat, and drove around with the front tires only, dragging the half-car.

E: also LOL at the lysol lemon spray on the dash, because the interior probably perpetually smells like wet dog and mildew.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

FatCow fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 7, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

razorscooter posted:

This comes extremely close to looping around and being in the wrong thread. Not quite, but close.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

FatCow posted:

Serious autism trap sprung.

I don't get watt you're after.

E: oh no you don't :nyd:

E2: T = 10kG might be even more confuddling.

E3: autocorrect knew 'confuddling'

glyph fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 7, 2016

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Apparently it's acceptable to write it P=VI even though V is a unit and the others aren't.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Holy poo poo. Normally I hate sidecars because I can't help but fixate on how much better the bike would be without this great stupid third wheel thing attached. But in this case it's like...an organic, fundamental side car vehicle that you could never reduce to a motorcycle, and it uses an engine/drivetrain that was always more suited to a car than a bike in the first place. Magnificent in every way.

If you told me that thing was from that Battlestar Galactica 1980 movie they did, I would have believed it. I wanna ride that while wearing a Viper pilot helmet.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

8ender posted:

I have the beisbolcats tshirt and its my favourite

I just ordered one.

And now I want to paint Brak on it..

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

glyph posted:

I don't get watt you're after.

E: oh no you don't :nyd:

E2: T = 10kG might be even more confuddling.

E3: autocorrect knew 'confuddling'

I was just explaining to a friend who came to visit here in SF (and noticed that the place is lousy with Teslas) how there seems to be a rule about getting a smarmy electricity-pun license plate when you buy one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those plates used to show up on Priuses and Smarts, I guess the smug crowd has moved on to the next green thing.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hah that'll show those filthy poors forced to live next to the coal-fired power plant!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

fyodor posted:

Hah that'll show those filthy poors forced to live next to the coal-fired power plant!

Only 6% of California's energy comes from coal. :crossarms:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Raluek posted:

Only 6% of California's energy comes from coal. :crossarms:
Because Idaho sells a majority of their hydroelectric power to California :colbert:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Geirskogul posted:

Because Idaho sells a majority of their hydroelectric power to California :colbert:

But only a third of our energy is imported, so most of it is still generated here. Looks like it's mostly natural gas.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Sagebrush posted:

I was just explaining to a friend who came to visit here in SF (and noticed that the place is lousy with Teslas) how there seems to be a rule about getting a smarmy electricity-pun license plate when you buy one.

To be fair, the owners are probably a bunch of terrible electrical engineers who think it's funny/cute/witty.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

fyodor posted:

Hah that'll show those filthy poors forced to be poor.

fixed BUT ANYWAY terrible tesla stuff I got to fool around with a tesla the other day and saw this (or some variation thereof):

firsthand, got to drive it around the block slowly.

And it seemed like the worst thing ever. Hmmm yes let me sportily navigate this corner with my expensive sunglasses pinning back my perfect hair. As the car pushes deep into the bend, I glance down and casually sweep the radio from one station to another...perfectly. Up-tempo music is played as I accelerate into the camera.

IRL it is covered in grease and you can't do poo poo because you have to drive the car while holding your finger steady on a touchscreen designed for visual feedback and it's awkward IMO.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Slavvy posted:

fixed BUT ANYWAY terrible tesla stuff I got to fool around with a tesla the other day and saw this (or some variation thereof):

firsthand, got to drive it around the block slowly.

And it seemed like the worst thing ever. Hmmm yes let me sportily navigate this corner with my expensive sunglasses pinning back my perfect hair. As the car pushes deep into the bend, I glance down and casually sweep the radio from one station to another...perfectly. Up-tempo music is played as I accelerate into the camera.

IRL it is covered in grease and you can't do poo poo because you have to drive the car while holding your finger steady on a touchscreen designed for visual feedback and it's awkward IMO.

Yup, my experience with a Tesla touchscreen is basically you can only operate it when the car isn't moving as you've absolutely zero frame of reference for where your finger is to change any settings or whatever.

Also I enjoy that interface designers completely avoid using the only physical point of reference on the entire thing (the frame) by moving any useful buttons in towards the centre of the screen where you have to actually concentrate to know what you're jabbing at. Touchscreens are poo poo in cars but if they're going to be 'the thing' to do then you need to incorporate a certain degree of physical touch to let people know where their fingers are and you're also going to have to make the layouts less busy and probably add a degree of finger wag tech for things like changing the radio station/volume.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Part of me appreciates what they're trying to do but god drat that seems like the worst possible idea for vehicle controls

I love the look and idea of the Teslas but I doubt I will ever seriously consider one that's all touch screen like that

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd buy a tesla despite the dumb touchscreen.

But I'm an abhorrent poor, so meh.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Tesla stores will let anyone test drive a car. You can just call and make an appointment, and they let you drive it any way you want. They know most of the people test driving can't afford one but they let them anyway because they want the driving experience to be out there and talked about.

I totally agree that the touchscreen is terrible but I'm willing to live with it in exchange for the way the car goes. 0-60 was fast. 40-90 was insane. Near instantaneous. It's an incredible car with a lovely touchscreen.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Doesn't the Tesla have a bunch of physical controls on the steering wheel that let you adjust the most common functions (radio and climate control, at least) without taking your hands off the wheel?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Uthor posted:

Doesn't the Tesla have a bunch of physical controls on the steering wheel that let you adjust the most common functions (radio and climate control, at least) without taking your hands off the wheel?

Just the normal stuff that pretty much every car has now. Radio and Bluetooth controls. No climate control.

Edit: looks like the model X has a small touchscreen on the steering wheel spokes for climate control, Bluetooth, etc. I was talking about the model S

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Code Jockey posted:

Part of me appreciates what they're trying to do but god drat that seems like the worst possible idea for vehicle controls

I love the look and idea of the Teslas but I doubt I will ever seriously consider one that's all touch screen like that

My prediction: within the next 24 months, someone will cause a fatal accident whilst driving a Tesla.

The lawsuit will lay blame on Tesla due to the touchscreen causing a distraction (and not that the drivers was on the phone, snorting coke and drunk) and they will get sued for eleventy-billion dollars.

Welcome to the real world of car manufacturing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Just the normal stuff that pretty much every car has now. Radio and Bluetooth controls. No climate control.

Looking at this video, around the 2:40 mark, it shows that you can customize the right wheel to do a few different things, including adjusting the fan speed and temperature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnfwjWp0Jtc

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My Prius has temperature change buttons on the wheel.. about 5 inches away from it is a giant dial on the dash that does the same thing and provides superior tactile feedback.

Car companies have no loving clue what they're doing. I'm sure it starts out with a sensible design then someone says to add a huge list of trendy features and gently caress it all up.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I don't mean to defend the gigantic touch screen but how often are you guys loving with your climate control? I set mine to Auto and the temp I want and then drive. Really music controls are the most important thing.

That said I have no idea how the Tesla fits with Ontario's anti-texting laws. As far as I can tell you can be pulled over and fined for using your iPhone while driving, but using the gigantic tablet attached to the dash of your tesla is okay.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Climate control is just an example. It's a car, everything should be designed so you can manipulate it without taking your eyes off the road.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm pretty happy with the layout of the touchscreen of the stereo out of the MK6 GTI (that I stuffed into my MKV). There's buttons to change tracks and a dial for the volume (plus controls on my steering wheel). The big touch screen is there to present the information clearly and let you navigate all the music files or radio stations and let you dig in through the menus, stuff you don't do while driving.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Uthor posted:

let you navigate all the music files or radio stations ... stuff you don't do while driving.

You pull over to change radio stations or select new music while driving?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
GM's CUE system solves the feedback issue by making the screen vibrate and give haptic feedback. This is apparently cheaper/easier than just putting in knobs or buttons. Also the actual software behind CUE is so poorly written and buggy that it doesn't work half the time anyway.

8ender posted:

I don't mean to defend the gigantic touch screen but how often are you guys loving with your climate control? I set mine to Auto and the temp I want and then drive. Really music controls are the most important thing.

That said I have no idea how the Tesla fits with Ontario's anti-texting laws. As far as I can tell you can be pulled over and fined for using your iPhone while driving, but using the gigantic tablet attached to the dash of your tesla is okay.

I've posted about this before but the HVAC controls in my Chrysler are the worst thing I've ever seen. I guess the overall system was designed with the idea that the car would have auto climate control standard, except mine doesn't. So to make the car blow hot or cold, you can either :

A) Quit out of the music interface on the touchscreen if you were listening to music, go to the climate control screen, and then adjust the "hot" or "cold" settings on a virtual slider on the touchscreen, i.e. there is a virtual representation of a temperature slider from some 1980s Corolla on the touchscreen that you have to drag up or down. It's only "hot" or "cold" and not "temperature" because since the car doesn't have auto climate control the touchscreen doesn't know how hot or cold it is in the car, so all you can do is make it blow hotter or colder along an axis without a scale or graduation.

B) use the two buttons on the central console, one hot and one cold. Seems reasonable right? Except each click of either button adjusts the hot/cold slider in increments of approx 0.25%. To switch the car from blowing max hot to max cold requires clicking the button about 4000 times or holding it down for about 6-8 seconds. So it takes almost as long as method A anyway. On the plus side you have the ability to adjust your fan temperature with more granularity than probably the ECU does over timing or injector pulse width. That would be neat if the fan position display had markings or a scale or something more than just an arbitrary line with hot on one end and cold on the other. :wtc:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

GutBomb posted:

You pull over to change radio stations or select new music while driving?

I either select an album before I leave or when stopped at a light.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Uthor posted:

I either select an album before I leave or when stopped at a light.

So you just listen to one album on repeat for a whole 6 hour highway trip?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have an eight minutes commute. One album is more than enough. If the album ends, the next plays automatically.

And I don't see how navigating to an album using physical buttons and going a folder at a time on a small screen that shows 2-3 items at a time (like my original stereo worked) is easier than just tapping a big rear end screen on the exact thing you want.

Like I said, the things you wanna do while driving (volume, mute, skip track) are all buttons and dials you can hit without looking. It's not like I'm staring at a screen running a DJ set.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
The real solution is voice controls which aren't complete poo poo:

"Set the temperature to seventy degrees"

"Play the album Powerslave by Iron Maiden"

"Navigate to the closest supercharging station"

Done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

gently caress it, get rid off all electronics and make your stereo wholly physical. Just install one of these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_Hi-Fi