Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Im watching bout a thousand fit women race at a triathlon. Oh and also on three weeks holiday. (On volunteer race crew )

About a year ago we were in Santa Cruz and there was an Ironman/woman event going on. Anyway we were on a beach and this girl came up and started chatting me up. Then my wife walked up and she got super awkward. It was harious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

keykey posted:

About a year ago we were in Santa Cruz and there was an Ironman/woman event going on. Anyway we were on a beach and this girl came up and started chatting me up. Then my wife walked up and she got super awkward. It was harious.

Dear Penthouse Forum,

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fyodor posted:

Dear Penthouse Forum,

End month wont get better

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

fyodor posted:

Dear Penthouse Forum,

Honestly, they're not my type anyway. And it was before I started stressing the gently caress out about my mom's situation so I was fairly fit at the time. Now I'm fairly typical goon since I gained 40 lbs since poo poo went downhill.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Refresh my memory

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

keykey posted:

Honestly, they're not my type anyway. And it was before I started stressing the gently caress out about my mom's situation so I was fairly fit at the time. Now I'm fairly typical goon since I gained 40 lbs since poo poo went downhill.

I just imagined how that situation could've gone sexily instead of awkward. :(

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I drove from Virginia to New Hampshire, and the worst part was 495/90 outside of Boston. Everything kastein complains about is true.

But New Hampshire is fantastic and I think I need to move here eventually. I miss being so close to mountains like this.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

fyodor posted:

I just imagined how that situation could've gone sexily instead of awkward. :(

Sorry to disappoint. Fit is sexy. Vascular, to me, isn't. :(

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

keykey posted:

Sorry to disappoint. Fit is sexy. Vascular, to me, isn't. :(

I believe the proper nomenclature is "yoked" brah.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

keykey posted:

Don't do that poo poo. Its bad for you.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Don't do that poo poo. Its bad for you.

I'm completely aware of that. In any case the majority of family related stress is over. It's nice to not have to think about possible time left with.a parent. I can finally get back to working on me again.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Got the second call back for the apprentice maintenance mechanic position. Its awesome to think i may potentially be no longer wrenching on rusty vehicles for customers that should be fired from a cannon. Now I am celebrating with pizza, beer and social distortion. Pretty awesome start to may. April sucked but may is turning out better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nm posted:

It is a ford fusion with different body panels and was made in tge same factory. I suspect the rust proofing is the same.

Maybe on the chassis and frame. Mazda 6 body panels are notorious for rusting.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, the body panels are manufactured (IIRC) in the separate plants, but the C platform is shared and has a common source. That said, even the floor pans are different between some manufacturers, and come from different plants.

Makes me wish that the thread with the guy that worked in an auto stamping facility didn't die.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Look dude, don't act offended if you tell me about your new Challenger and I'm not impressed. It's a loving Challenger. They give those things away in Cracker Jack boxes.

$40,000 to spend on a car and you go out and buy a Challenger? What's the matter, got no imagination? :fuckoff:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hey, he could have purchased a BMW 1-series 116d like the jackhole that cut me off earlier. :v:

Didn't even know they did those in the US.

E: if anybody wonders about lighting installations or electronics or microcontrollers, watch this guys's channel. Mikeselectricstuff is a treasure trove, and the world is better for it existing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qlmywxjau0

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Yeah, the body panels are manufactured (IIRC) in the separate plants, but the C platform is shared and has a common source. That said, even the floor pans are different between some manufacturers, and come from different plants.

Makes me wish that the thread with the guy that worked in an auto stamping facility didn't die.

I wonder what happened to him. I have him on facebook but he hasn't been active in a really long time

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I had to spend an hour and a half entertaining a literally brain damaged customer that claimed his 2012 mustang was like totally custom designed and original (because it had metallic blue stripes and a custom shift knob) and any like it were just copying him, he was totally in like 10 different magazines man. Everyone he knew told him not to cover it in cheesey fake chrome skulls from "that aisle" of the parts store, but he wanted me to hold his hand and tell him it would make him the most badass and unique motherfucker on the road. Then he told us how his son could kick anyones rear end and broke ten jaws in ten barfights all in the same night because he was a chip off the old block, because his son could gently caress any chick he wanted to, just like his old man. It just went on and on, with me and my co-worker slowly feeling more and more uncomfortable, confused and genuinely sorry for the guy. In the end you could tell he was a lonely, confused 50 year old dude whose family couldn't take it anymore and cut ties. Just, holy gently caress man, I'm glad I have the next two days off.

Edit: And someone please shoot me if I ever get to that point in my life.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 7, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Let me tell you the joys of working in a dedicated psych ambulance :allears:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So my buddy just bought me a vintage Houston Colt .45s jersey and it is literally the best thing ever.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cage posted:

And then leave the 2nd floor intact?

Not undamaged, but generally most of the walls will still be standing on the lower level units. The top floor often just gets peeled off.

Great Beer posted:

Turning down management offers again. :toot: 10 bucks an hour to work 50 hours with no overtime isn't worth it pizza hut, especially when I average over 14 delivering.

The franchise I worked for offered shift managers $8.50 an hour. :haw:

I made that 16 years ago as a shift manager at Papa John's....

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It was pretty nice in the winter though, I never touched the thermostat and it never ran. I have to assume the American refugees on the floor below kept their thermostat jacked at "temperature of the sun."

At my first apartment, in 3 years I turned the heater on less than a dozen times. And that place didn't have poo poo for insulation.

Middle floor, and there was a boiler for the hot water, with circulation pumps. My kitchen and bathroom floors were always nice and toasty. The a/c was way oversized though, so while it got the place ice cold, it never ran for long enough to deal with humidity very well except on the hottest days.

I think my highest electric bill there was $60 or so. In the winter it was around $25.

Granted.. it doesn't get that cold here, but there was one chilly winter where my patio door froze shut, and had a sheet of ice on the inside (there was usually a ~30F difference between one side of the apt and the other in the winter). Stayed that way for a week or two.

Elmnt80 posted:

Wtf str, you live in texas. Just sit on the porch and watch the funnel cloud pass over you with a bong in one hand and a beer in the other like the god drat Texan you are. You're supposed to be completely indifferent to this poo poo.

Also, the insurance company claims there is no damage to the fuse box, so my truck might be repairable. On one hand, I might get to keep my rolling plastic shitbox, but with electrical issues cropping up all the time. On the other hand I was all psyched to fund myself a cheap mazda 6 with a stick. :(

Oh, I've done exactly that many, many times. But the immediate neighborhood around this place was bitchslapped by an EF4 the day after Christmas. Even Texans get the gently caress inside for an EF4.

quote:

.SUNNYVALE / GARLAND / ROWLETT...

RATING: EF-4
ESTIMATED PEAK WIND: 170-180 MPH
PATH LENGTH /STATUTE/: 13 MILES
PATH WIDTH /MAXIMUM/: 550 YARDS
FATALITIES: 8
INJURIES: 7+

START DATE: DEC 26 2015
START TIME: 6:45 PM CST
START LOCATION: SUNNYVALE / DALLAS / TEXAS

END DATE: DEC 26 2015
END TIME: 7:02 PM CST
END LOCATION: LAKE RAY HUBBARD / ROCKWALL / TEXAS

This isn't far from where I'm trying to move (actually was owned by the same company - it's in the process of being demolished now):

And this has some before and after photos - go to the "I-30 near Zion Road" link in the drop-down. That's a block away. :stare:

An EF0 or EF1 just tickles a bit and knocks over some fences. :v:

Good luck on getting the magic smoke back into the truck! :haw:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

Maybe on the chassis and frame. Mazda 6 body panels are notorious for rusting.

Fixed. At least if we're talking about cars built in the 2000s.

Geirskogul posted:

:eng101: the C platform underpinned compacts like the Mazda 3, Volvo S40 and MKII/III Focus. The 6 and Fusion shared the Mazda GG (aka Ford CD3) platform.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
A lot of goons like both cats and cars so when I saw this sticker I thought of you all: http://www.itashastyle.us/product/neko

Tangentially (since it says 'neko'), I find it very interesting that the a lot of younger kids and car kids consider anime cool. I mean, I enjoy it as much as the next neckbeard (and it's totally ok if you hate it, whatever), but the absorption of it into American streetwear and the strong presence of Japanese streetwear in America isn't something I would have ever guessed would happen. I think I'm kind of happy about it in the same way that I'm happy about computers no longer being only the domain of the 'nerds' like when I was a kid, but being widely accepted... And really anyone just being able to (within reason) be into whatever they want.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm throwing my resume at pretty much every non-embedded s/w job on glassdoor, then i'm going to go on us jobs.gov and go ham on there too

TIME TO GET ME A BIG BOY JOB, BOYS

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

welp i've applied to at least three jobs where my cover letter has a job reference number in the title and i only just caught it

:rip:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Sokay, I found out I spent 6 months importing info from a resume that had an incorrect phone number.

Also, this dumb rental 200 has an anti-burnout setting. It won't rev past 2500 with me holding the brakes. :commissar:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

BraveUlysses posted:

Unfortunately it's further proof that people dont respect the stuff they actually pay for with their own money.

I assume you mean unless they pay with their own money.

Fortunately that's not the case here, my daughter is overwhelmed with guilt and anger at herself, it's kind of hard to watch. She has already volunteered to pay the $200 deductible out of her savings which she has earned doing chores and babysitting. The worst is the blow to her self confidence, as she was so positive that she was mature and responsible enough to handle a really expensive phone. And I drilled in to her that it's the kind of phone that people will keep if they find it, unlike her last one. The whole situation is like a punch in the gut. To a 65 pound little girl.

I've put up a lost and found craigslist ad, and I have the number to the city police property department. So if whoever has it decides they want to get it back to us it'll happen. In the meantime I'm starting the insurance claim.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
If you have an e-mail address and they're interested they'll get in touch with you.

And no one gives a poo poo about a reference number in a cover letter. It's all about skimming the resume, so you'll be fine (source: hiring IT people myself).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mat_Drinks posted:

A lot of goons like both cats and cars so when I saw this sticker I thought of you all: http://www.itashastyle.us/product/neko

Tangentially (since it says 'neko'), I find it very interesting that the a lot of younger kids and car kids consider anime cool. I mean, I enjoy it as much as the next neckbeard (and it's totally ok if you hate it, whatever), but the absorption of it into American streetwear and the strong presence of Japanese streetwear in America isn't something I would have ever guessed would happen. I think I'm kind of happy about it in the same way that I'm happy about computers no longer being only the domain of the 'nerds' like when I was a kid, but being widely accepted... And really anyone just being able to (within reason) be into whatever they want.

It's about time they start paying you back for all the mickey mouse cowboy baseball apple pie horseshit you infected their culture with after dropping the bomb.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Elmnt80 posted:

Sokay, I found out I spent 6 months importing info from a resume that had an incorrect phone number.

Also, this dumb rental 200 has an anti-burnout setting. It won't rev past 2500 with me holding the brakes. :commissar:

It's front wheel drive, just do some lunch tray doughnuts.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

The franchise I worked for offered shift managers $8.50 an hour. :haw:

I made that 16 years ago as a shift manager at Papa John's....

I ended up getting convinced to do it one day a week almost entirely so I could put "assistant manager" on my resume instead of delivery driver.

Next week is going to suck. Everyones quit or was fired again. We're down to 8 people on staff total. GM, shift lead, cook, 2 servers, and 3 drivers. Two people have applied in 3 months and neither showed up to their interview. The area coach saw next weeks schedule and was mad that people were being scheduled for more than 30 hours a week. :ughh:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

London has a Muslim mayor. We are all hosed, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

...is basically what I've been reading on the internet so far this morning. I wonder what it's like going through life being so afraid of everyone else.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dearborn has had a Muslim mayor for a while and I would say that the city has become a much nicer place

Though that being said Dearborn is for from everything and the call to prayer from the local mosque would slowly drive me insane, unless they got rid of that recently

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

88h88 posted:

London has a Muslim mayor. We are all hosed, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

...is basically what I've been reading on the internet so far this morning. I wonder what it's like going through life being so afraid of everyone else.

My in laws are from Leicester and the last time they were out here they were saying how they need to move to Canada because "there are so few Muslims around." I thought about reminding them about how they are just as much immigrant as the muslims are, but I don't think it would have mattered.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MustardFacial posted:

My in laws are from Leicester and the last time they were out here they were saying how they need to move to Canada because "there are so few Muslims around." I thought about reminding them about how they are just as much immigrant as the muslims are, but I don't think it would have mattered.

"they need to stop coming over here pushing their laws on people!"

*conveniently forgets they're from a country whose empire at one point was 1/5 the world's population and did exactly the same thing*

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Geirskogul posted:

Hey, he could have purchased a BMW 1-series 116d like the jackhole that cut me off earlier. :v:

Didn't even know they did those in the US.
I had one of those as a rental overseas and loved it. Didn't know they were available in the US either Not showing up on BMW USA site :( Would have been more than I want to spend on a VW replacement anyway.

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm throwing my resume at pretty much every non-embedded s/w job on glassdoor, then i'm going to go on us jobs.gov and go ham on there too

TIME TO GET ME A BIG BOY JOB, BOYS
Didn't you just start the newest job? Thought it was going good

MustardFacial posted:

It's front wheel drive, just do some lunch tray doughnuts.
Metal trays last much longer

Got the fun cars out just in time for European Cars and Coffee today. Forgot how much smoother and quieter the E28 is at speed compared to the 928. Need to tear into the VW today and see if my pads or rotors are shot, it's giving me the VW version of Goatse on the dash.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 7, 2016

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Geirskogul posted:

Let me tell you the joys of working in a dedicated psych ambulance :allears:

The patients make the siren noises for you, amirite?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Seen just now and I think it's cool:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

QuarkMartial posted:

Seen just now and I think it's cool: