Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

havenwaters posted:

Yeah you're probably right. Unless AMD punches back in a shocking way (say 1080 power at sub $500 price)

Don Lapre posted:

Depends on amd

980ti launched 8m after 980/970. titan x was like 5m after 980/970

xthetenth posted:

Pretty much for sure. They're backordered on the big chip's compute card till start of next year, and then once supply builds they're going to milk with the Titan and probably wait a bit after that to release the 1080 Ti unless AMD does something extraordinary with big Vega.

Cool. My 980ti is still humming along just fine, doubly so considering I'm still on a 60 Hz monitor @ 1440P. If I can find a non-poo poo 144 Hz IPS monitor it might warrant an upgrade at this time, but those generally come with Gsync which would probably negate the need for an upgrade to begin with.

I guess the 1080 is a real upgrade over the 980ti for folks chasing 4K/60?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I'm so torn on which to get. Do I drop the extra money on the beast or get the cheaper but still massively good card that will probably still run most things at 60+ fps in 1440p. Especially since I'm thinking of splurging on a nice g-sync monitor. :ohdear:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Wait for 1080ti

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm so torn on which to get. Do I drop the extra money on the beast or get the cheaper but still massively good card that will probably still run most things at 60fps in 1440p. :ohdear:

Benchmarks will answer this and those are likely coming very soon. The price spread is exactly like the 970/980 msrps, and the 980 was widely considered not a good deal relative to the 970. I imagine the 1070 might be the star again

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Anti-Hero posted:

1440p/60 isn't a sweat for the 980 Ti today but who knows with next year.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Anti-Hero posted:

Cool. My 980ti is still humming along just fine, doubly so considering I'm still on a 60 Hz monitor @ 1440P. If I can find a non-poo poo 144 Hz IPS monitor it might warrant an upgrade at this time, but those generally come with Gsync which would probably negate the need for an upgrade to begin with.

Probably not for 4k/60. Yes for VR.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'll buy a second 980 Ti to SLI for my 21:9:1440p.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm getting a 1070 for 1080p gaming because after limping along with a 660Ti I want overkill for a while. :pcgaming:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
:lol: at the inevitable people who will think you need the 1080 to game at 1080, at least they shouldn't need to upgrade for a while.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

So is the thing done? Is there some place where I can read about the features and poo poo?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I think that for hobbyist deep learning the 1080 looks pretty awesome. 8 GB should fit pretty much everything except for the super deep and wide CNNs hardly in use by anyone other than those doing computer vision on video / image time series. On the other hand, I think I'll take pretty much literally everything else being better than a Titan X as more than fair. If I need to care that much I'll be on a Pascal Tesla at least. Hell, at this kind of performance and efficiency I think 2x 1080 cards could be justifiable for hobby purposes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

spasticColon posted:

I almost feel sorry for all the people that bought a new 980Ti at full price. Almost. :laugh:

I bought mine last July so I'm pretty satisfied...

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

So is the thing done? Is there some place where I can read about the features and poo poo?

No, they were literally just announced and it's a Friday night and Tom is probably getting fired.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I bought mine last July so I'm pretty satisfied...

Same. I actually looked up my order history after the 1080 reveal to confirm. I'm sure I'll sell the 980Ti for $300 or whatever when the 1080Ti is out next year.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

fozzy fosbourne posted:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

necrobobsledder posted:

I think that for hobbyist deep learning the 1080 looks pretty awesome. 8 GB should fit pretty much everything except for the super deep and wide CNNs hardly in use by anyone other than those doing computer vision on video / image time series. On the other hand, I think I'll take pretty much literally everything else being better than a Titan X as more than fair. If I need to care that much I'll be on a Pascal Tesla at least. Hell, at this kind of performance and efficiency I think 2x 1080 cards could be justifiable for hobby purposes.

Do we know if the 1080 supports FP16 at twice the FLOPs like the Pascal Tesla does? That is sort of the killer feature. In terms of raw power, memory bandwidth is pretty important since many NN kernels are memory-bound. NVidia's specs have the 1080 as slightly slower than a Titan X on that front.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
fps / inch looks like poo poo though

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
fps / shroud triangle looks through the friggin roof, though.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Eyes Only posted:

Do we know if the 1080 supports FP16 at twice the FLOPs like the Pascal Tesla does? That is sort of the killer feature. In terms of raw power, memory bandwidth is pretty important since many NN kernels are memory-bound. NVidia's specs have the 1080 as slightly slower than a Titan X on that front.

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't, the fact that the 1080 can do almost as many FP32 FLOPS as the much larger P100 makes me think that the GP104 might be totally dedicated to FP32.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
So why only announce high end stuff, what about people who just want to keep gaming at 1080p until 4k 60fps is mainstream?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

objects in mirror posted:

So why only announce high end stuff, what about people who just want to keep gaming at 1080p until 4k 60fps is mainstream?

They have a card for that, its called the 970 and itll be available for about $100 in a few months.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Eyes Only posted:

We don't have the full specs down to that yet, I've been looking for info on that for the past 10 minutes for some official confirmation. However, the presumption of 9 TFLOPs is what's being quoted for single precision rather than half precision, so it looks like we're on track for the same kind of improvements. Until we get more details on the 1080 it's hard to say what the compromises have been from the P100, pretty simple.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks. Here is another thing: http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/a-quantum-leap-in-gaming:-nvidia-introduces-geforce-gtx-1080

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The 970 is already available :cheeky:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They have a card for that, its called the 970 and itll be available for about $100 in a few months.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

The 970 is already available :cheeky:

For $100? Show me where, and I'll buy one right now.

E: Check this out: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardwareswap/comments/4i8iro/usacah_evga_980_ti_sc_w_backplate_wpaypallocal/

People are buying 980ti's for more than the 1070 will cost? :wtf:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

There are people who haven't gotten the news yet, it'll hover around 300 after a few days.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Theres an evga hybrid on hs for $480 and no takers yet lol

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Probably bullshit, but the rumor mill sites have been saying May/June is a "paper launch" and there won't be worthwhile quantities around until August.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Or they're picking one up for 980Ti SLI, which if you can score a second card for $300 ain't a bad deal--figure if you sold your 980Ti for $300 and bought a 1080 for $600, you'd be spending the same $300 and coming out with less horsepower (assuming whatever you play works well with SLI and doesn't loving choke or microstutter or use DX12 or VR or whatever other issues SLI might spring on your poor soul).

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Xae posted:

Probably bullshit, but the rumor mill sites have been saying May/June is a "paper launch" and there won't be worthwhile quantities around until August.

Well back to "well amd need that happen" but I feel like there have been enough of those squandered by now

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

A paper launch means its not available at all. If its available even in low quantities its not a paper launch.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

So what does "double the bandwidth" for sli mean, in practice? Has SLI been constrained by bandwidth?

E: also wccftech is saying the 1080 has DisplayPort 1.4? Is that even possible yet?

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 7, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

fozzy fosbourne posted:

So what does "double the bandwidth" for sli mean, in practice? Has SLI been constrained by bandwidth?

E: also wccftech is saying the 1080 has DisplayPort 1.4? Is that even possible yet?

Perhaps they are reaching a point where sli is going to be bandwidth limited and preparing for the future?

amazed the thing only uses one 8 pin connector.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Bardeh posted:

For $100? Show me where, and I'll buy one right now.

E: Check this out: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardwareswap/comments/4i8iro/usacah_evga_980_ti_sc_w_backplate_wpaypallocal/

People are buying 980ti's for more than the 1070 will cost? :wtf:

ahh, misread your post, whoops!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

fozzy fosbourne posted:

1080 specs site on nvidia.com say that it has DisplayPort 1.4. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DP 1.4 isn't possible until may 28th

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder when we'll see the first 4K 120hz g-sync monitor.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Remind me, is Pascal on TSMC's 16nm or Samsung's 14nm process?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Remind me, is Pascal on TSMC's 16nm or Samsung's 14nm process?

TSMC, and iirc Polaris will be Samsung (courtesy of GloFo when possible) and Vega is likely TSMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just finished watching the announcement on Twitch.

I had already heard about the $600 MSRP for the 1080.

But $380 for the 1070? :vince: :gizz: :boom: