Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

If all they do is spam the stupid spin, then parry. Get up in their face and as soon as they try to do the spin you can parry it. Doing that once or twice will scare most people out of spamming it so you can actually fight them properly without having to worry about that idiotic move.

I think the move looks cool. Why are you so salty all the time anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

net cafe scandal posted:

I think the move looks cool. Why are you so salty all the time anyway

Its extremely annoying to play against. It has really weird hyper armour frames while also swinging in a large radius, so its difficult to punish with many weapons. If you get hit, it doesn't actually hurt as much as some other combos, but it stuns you for a long time. So if you're invading and fighting multiple people, getting hit by that spin is a death sentence. You get stunned and then the other phantoms saunter up and stab you, possibly blocking you in if you're near a wall.

I'm not salty though, I just think it looks stupid. Just like everything else related to the Abyss Watchers :v:

VVV See that's salt

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 7, 2016

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That emote, what in the actual literal gently caress.

That's what goons think humor is.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not salty though, I just think it looks stupid. Just like everything else related to the Abyss Watchers :v:

You're a terrible poster, and you should post less if not stop entirely. Thanks.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Dancer is one of the best boss fights I've had in a FromSoft game yet. Only took one attempt, but god drat it was fun. She dances and I counter-dance around her and smack her in the butt, it just flows so well. It's no Maria but it's close, dang.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I loved fighting the Champ. Harder than anything before him by a mile, because he never really pauses to let you get your damage in, you just gotta dance with him, but it never feels unfair because his movements and tells are so natural. The animators did an incredible job with him, and you'd totally miss it if the fight weren't so tough. That whole zone looks great.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sector_corrector posted:

That's what goons think humor is.

You're a terrible poster, and you should post less if not stop entirely. Thanks.

plz tell us what humor is thankss

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Does anyone know any good websites about DS lore? The old wikidot was pretty good for ds1 but that seems to be less the case now. Sorta want to avoid reddit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mazerunner posted:

?
You can totally block his attacks, although with the teleports the angle might be tricky, and he also has a fire component to his attacks so you'll want a shield with good fire resist (ie. Dragoncrest) and a fire stoneplate ring.

Not related to anything, but I love how if you stagger the Dragonslayer Armour, it looks like you can go for a visceral, but actually he's winding up a 'back the gently caress off' desperation swing. It's a nice trick.

That's weird, they all went straight through for full damage except maybe one swipe. I was using the Shield of Want. It's easy enough to roll anyway, when he's not teleporting into my but hole. :haw:

Also yeah the DA's fakeout is hilarious.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aldrichs arrows attack is really the stupidest loving thing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I gave the item to the mound makers shrine but still haven't found how to actually join it, and I've gone through every area I've found through killing the three lords and then a few areas afterward. How do I be purple batman.

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV See that's salt

Oh you should see that poster in the bloodborne thread, the fury over video game opinions was just magical

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

quote:

Does anyone know any good websites about DS lore? The old wikidot was pretty good for ds1 but that seems to be less the case now. Sorta want to avoid reddit.

VaatiVidya has a pleasant enough voice and has all sorts of lore videos about Dark Souls. He's not to everyone's taste and I disagree with some of his interpretations, but his channel is a good jumping off point to learn about some of the more esoteric aspects of the story and characters. He's quite thorough.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So after my greataxe, I decided that for NG+ I'm going with the opposite, and am using Ricard's Rapier. I think it actually outpaces the greataxe in terms of DPS and the Endurance/Damage ratio - I can land 7-8 R1 hits and stunlock just about about anything in the game instead of the one or two heavy smash attacks that would leave me wide open.

Plus, it seems like it was just DESIGNED to be a bleed weapon, with the absurd speed of it's attacks and it's awesome Multi-stab special attack. I'm not quite sure if I want to try and make it a luck/bleed weapon, or crystal and experiment with a magic build.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Digirat posted:

I gave the item to the mound makers shrine but still haven't found how to actually join it, and I've gone through every area I've found through killing the three lords and then a few areas afterward. How do I be purple batman.

Two ways to join Moundmakers;

-Before killing the Cursed Greatwood, go across the first bridge in Undead Settlement to the area with all the thralls shooting darts at you. On the other side of the buildings you'll see one of the big red guys walking around with a cage on his back. He's actually not hostile, and so long as you don't attack him you can walk up to him and examine the cage to enter it. He'll chuck you into the hollow pit, where Hodrick will then give you the Mound-makers symbol.
-If you kill the Cursed Greatwood before doing that, Hodrick will get squashed. However if you follow Sirris' questline, it ends with you fighting Hodrick in another world. Upon killing him there, he'll drop the Mound-makers symbol.

If you screwed up Sirris' quest as well then you're out of luck and can't join until NG+. Its odd that they didn't just let you loot the covenant symbol off Hodrick's body in your own world.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 7, 2016

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Digirat posted:

I'm assuming you already killed the Greatwood? If that's the case the only way to join is by helping Sirris. You've already killed Aldrich so if you haven't offered Rosaria tongues or done anything else to piss Sirris off, go back to the entrance of the Greatwood room and look for her summon sign.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

-Before killing the Cursed Greatwood, go across the first bridge in Undead Settlement to the area with all the thralls shooting darts at you. On the other side of the buildings you'll see one of the big red guys walking around with a cage on his back. He's actually not hostile, and so long as you don't attack him you can walk up to him and examine the cage to enter it. He'll chuck you into the hollow pit, where Hodrick will then give you the Mound-maker's symbol.

:wtc: this is the most random thing, I just shot that guy assuming he was an enemy because he looks like all the other guys who want to murder you, why would you be expected to do any of that

I have not seen a single NPC after their first appearance except at firelink so I'm pretty sure everything NPC-related is out at this point.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

MLGS weights:
DeS: 2.0
DS1: 6.0
DS2: 8.0
DS3: 10.5 :suicide:

FROM, are you against the idea of casters using a 'heavy' weapon without having to pump VIT? Because it really seems like you don't want squishy wizards using your swishy wizard sword.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
can i get a flask check? i just got to the dancer and have 12 flasks, +6. have i missed anything?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Melanion posted:

it really seems like you don't want wizards

This is the only part of that sentence you need really.

Suspicious Dish posted:

can i get a flask check? i just got to the dancer and have 12 flasks, +6. have i missed anything?

It sounds like you may have missed an optional area. Have you been to smouldering lake?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
yes i found it and beat the boss but its likely i missed some stuff in there

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The dungeon seems like the only place where the invader has the advantage.

Also the murakumo is hella strong

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Suspicious Dish posted:

By the end of the game you can have 15 flasks and +10 (or 11??). You've got like... two mandatory zones plus several optional but I think you have missed some.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow, the Soul of Cinder bleeds out quick, especially compared to most of the rest of the bosses near the end.

I wish multiplayer/pvp was better than it is. Everything else about it is best in the series (besides poise), but with how linear it is and how not fun pvp is as it stands, I don't feel it's nearly as replayable as DS2. Especially with how neutered magic is, which is saying a lot coming off of Scholar.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 7, 2016

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Melanion posted:

MLGS weights:
DeS: 2.0
DS1: 6.0
DS2: 8.0
DS3: 10.5 :suicide:

FROM, are you against the idea of casters using a 'heavy' weapon without having to pump VIT? Because it really seems like you don't want squishy wizards using your swishy wizard sword.

use crystal magic weapon on a raw straightsword/greatsword instead because it'll literally do more damage in terms of AR thanks to the super lovely split that already exists on the MLGS

like ive got 600 AR with magic clutch + dusk crown on the +5 MLGS while i have 580 on a +9 raw broadsword using CMW

if i switched to an astora SS it'd probably be more than 600

...though even if i say that i still use the MLGS anyways because i want to shoot loving sword waves

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mazerunner posted:

By the end of the game you can have 15 flasks and +10 (or 11??). You've got like... two mandatory zones plus several optional but I think you have missed some.

i have no idea how far i am in the game.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

Fereydun posted:

...though even if i say that i still use the MLGS anyways because i want to shoot loving sword waves

This, basically. Roleplay Souls is best Souls. I'm a goddamn sorceress and I'm using a giant sword made of magic which shoots more magic.

I absolutely do more damage with a +10 Crystal Dark Sword but it doesn't feel as good.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

NESguerilla posted:

Aldrichs arrows attack is really the stupidest loving thing.

It's dumb that the attack doesn't affect Aldrich and/or it doesn't interrupt if you lead it back to him.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

actionjackson posted:

Playing the Faithful in that immediate area outside Sully's room for a while is really satisfying if you've done a lot of PvP before that. No. No more stacking in your favor host. It's just you and me, also my other Faithful pal, also the dark spirit that invaded, also the drang hunters that aggro to the ends of the earth, have fun shitter.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

actionjackson posted:

Also the murakumo is hella strong

The grand archives also gives the invader a large advantage. Got away with killing 3 phantoms in one world solo before getting teleported back as a purple phantom. The ranges on those scholars is amazing.

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 7, 2016

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Proposition Joe posted:

Forest invaders should have been green IMO.

There is apparently a green phantom color.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Suspicious Dish posted:

i have no idea how far i am in the game.

Well you said you were at dancer, so you have two mandatory areas and three optional that open up after dancer. I don't know what areas you have or haven't been too from before that.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Its extremely annoying to play against. It has really weird hyper armour frames while also swinging in a large radius, so its difficult to punish with many weapons. If you get hit, it doesn't actually hurt as much as some other combos, but it stuns you for a long time. So if you're invading and fighting multiple people, getting hit by that spin is a death sentence. You get stunned and then the other phantoms saunter up and stab you, possibly blocking you in if you're near a wall.

VVV See that's salt

Farron great sword wielders are terribly susceptible to stomp attacks with great swords. Go into stomp right before they hit you and you can lift them up out of their stunlocking move. Works like a charm!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Also it's nice to have some unspoken but gladly accepted inter-red solidarity in that post-Sully zone.

I know one of us is a little more blue than the other and we can target each other buddy, but that host is probably mashing their rear end off for reinforcements right now and we have nothing to gain from shanking each other here.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Let's say I wanted to look like The Shredder. A claw or Mankin claw in the left hand and a Katana in the right... but what about clothes? I'm only up to just past Aldritch, but I've bought just about everything, and didn't see anything that really fit.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Trip Report: Exile Greatsword is freaking sweet in pvp. Damage is insane and has a ton of superarmor frames. I can poise through the Farron Greatsword spin move and just kill them straight up. Only problem is that it's getting popular and the really good people can parry the r1s on reaction and that it gets out ranged by some moves (ultras that thrust and katana dash are the 2 big ones that I've noticed).

Trying to use the BK halberd next, but it seems pretty trash compared to the Exile Greatsword. The range feels deceptively short and you can't r1 bait people easily. How are people using that weapon?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mazed posted:

Honestly, Aldrich might be my favorite boss in this entire series. Not only is it fun and hard in every good way, but it brings the themes together in just this perfect moment of storytelling.

Aldrich is a cool fight and all but c'mon, it's gotta be Maria.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

RyokoTK posted:

Aldrich is a cool fight and all but c'mon, it's gotta be Maria.

Maria is a cool fight and all but c'mon, it's gotta be Knight Artorias.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Gologle posted:

Maria is a cool fight and all but c'mon, it's gotta be Knight Artorias.

Knight Artorias is a cool fight and all but c'mon, it's gotta be Sir Alonne.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Are there any guides out there that talk about conflicting questlines? I just don't wanna go too far into my game and gently caress something I wanna do with one guy by doing something for another guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Philosopher King posted:

Are there any guides out there that talk about conflicting questlines? I just don't wanna go too far into my game and gently caress something I wanna do with one guy by doing something for another guy.

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Side+Quests

In order, by area. I'd probably read the sirris/greirat/irina pages too, they're the easiest to gently caress up