Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

Why do you keep watching this show if you hate it so much? I mean, not trying to white knight here, but it seems like your life would be a lot happier if you like got a dog and went to a park to play with it instead. :ohdear:

Hate-watching is a TVIV tradition, haven't you heard? Try to keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
The show is stupid fun. Ascribing or expecting any value to it higher than that is a mistake.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phylodox posted:

I can't wait until next week, when the Legends of Tomorrow have Savage cornered, only to have him escape by throwing a sheet over himself and chasing them through the Vanishing Point because he's a g-g-g-g-ghost!!!

Now I am going to be so disappointed when this doesn't happen :(

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

The show is stupid fun. Ascribing or expecting any value to it higher than that is a mistake.

yeah, it was soooo fun watching Kendra reading a love poem to chained up Carter :rolleyes:

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

I don't think anyone is expecting more than this. The problem is 'stupid fun' works best when the characters are the fun part and the situations they encounter are stupid or absurd. We're getting the exact opposite of this.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

The dumbest part about that scene was there was no point for him to try to escape in the first place. He was gonna be set free regardless. It was all total filler to kill time because this show is written by idiots. He could have kicked ray's rear end and locked himself back up and nothing would have changed.

There's actually no reason why Savage needed to escape at all. He wanted to get to thr Time Masters.

ubachung posted:

It sounds like you're defending the show, but 'just skip parts' and 'of course it's predictable' don't really seem like great arguments.

It would have been so easy to write Savage's escape in a way that made sense: Carter makes googly eyes at Kendra, she releases him, he releases Savage. We know that Carter is Kendra's greatest weakness so at least it would have been consistent and plausible. Moreso than what we got anyway.

Edit: Unless the writers actually want Savage to be the most sympathetic character, they are seriously loving this up.

Savage didnt even need to escape. He escapes and then get capturrd again. Thry could have done many things which would have been less frustrating.

I guess they didnt have the budget and needed an episode 95% on the ship.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
This show is stupid and I like it the way it is. I enjoy the characters too much, even when they're acting stupid for the sake of the plot or whatever.

The "WE ARE NOT SO DIFFERENT YOU AND I" line made me cringe only because they already used it like two weeks ago on The Flash. Did someone on the writing team lose a bet and had to use the same thing on both shows?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't hate this show, it's just starting to annoy the hell out of me. I consider all three (four?) DC shows a single TV entity, so until all of them become unwatchable, I'mma try as hard as I can to stick with all of them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Now I am going to be so disappointed when this doesn't happen :(

It won't. He'll stand in a corner with a lampshade on his head, instead. This will work flawlessly until Martin tries to change his lightbulb.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Krad posted:

The "WE ARE NOT SO DIFFERENT YOU AND I" line made me cringe only because they already used it like two weeks ago on The Flash.

I also cringed.

We're not so different, you and I...

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I actually think this episode could have worked better with Savage essentially playing dumb and losing to everyone. Have everyone come in and talk to him, insult him, blow off his insults, not fall for his goading, and successfully take him to the Vanishing Point without trouble, and him appearing to be beaten down... and then we get the twist, he stops the pretension, and laughs at them as they're now the caged ones.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
In related news:

If you have a Redbox nearby, this week they released a new low-budget sci-fi movie called 400 Days, about four astronauts who are locked into a space mission simulator for... you guessed it, 400 days. And things start to happen that they suspect are not part of the simulation. And two of the four are Brandon Routh and Caity Lotz, along with Dane Cook and some other guy. And Tom Cavanagh from The Flash is in it too.

It was okay -- not a new classic, but definitely worth seeing if you like high-concept sci-fi, psychological thrillers, and those actors. It was definitely less cringeworthy than this week's episode.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
If you didn't suspect the Time Masters being in league with Vandal Savage from the moment they told Rip he couldn't go after the immortal guy hell bent on dominating the entire world then you probably are out right dumb. I think that's the most frustrating part about this show. It frames the most obvious of plot points as twists and afterward I'm left disappointed because it was so glaringly obvious. Mick being Chronos, Rips shenanigans being the actual catalyst for Savage's uprising to power, Rip's shenanigans letting Savage on to time travel being possible in the first place, and the "twist" from this weeks episode. All super obvious and more than occasionally called wayyyy ahead of time by posters in this very thread.

And the romance. I know it's a CW show but just let me have a superhero show without any overbearing romances. Agents of SHIELD does a good job of this. Fitz and Simmons, Daisy and Squidward/Lincoln, yeah there's romance. But it doesn't take center stage and also ruin every other aspect of the show. They are B plots. The love quadrilateral going on in LoT is very much an A plot for some episodes and... Ugh. We spent so much time setting Ray up to fail whilst also throwing up giant red flags. His stupidity really does know no bounds sometimes. Same goes for just about everyone other than Snart.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

ubachung posted:

It sounds like you're defending the show, but 'just skip parts' and 'of course it's predictable' don't really seem like great arguments.

It would have been so easy to write Savage's escape in a way that made sense: Carter makes googly eyes at Kendra, she releases him, he releases Savage. We know that Carter is Kendra's greatest weakness so at least it would have been consistent and plausible. Moreso than what we got anyway.

Edit: Unless the writers actually want Savage to be the most sympathetic character, they are seriously loving this up.

At this point I am rooting for Savage.

His speech to Rip about seeing dozens of his children die in his arms to old age over 4,000 years made some sense. He has seen every major civilization fall and has a perspective nobody else does.

Add to that the Time Masters are helping him and talking about how short sighted Rip is. The guy who was a master of time and decided to settle his family in the middle of the bloodiest conflict in Earths history with the death of billions.

It makes it seem like Savage taking over the world and killing Billions actually saves the human race from destroying the planet/extinction and Rip is just an rear end in a top hat that is endlessly seeking revenge regardless of the cost.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fat Shat Sings posted:

At this point I am rooting for Savage.

His speech to Rip about seeing dozens of his children die in his arms to old age over 4,000 years made some sense. He has seen every major civilization fall and has a perspective nobody else does.

Add to that the Time Masters are helping him and talking about how short sighted Rip is. The guy who was a master of time and decided to settle his family in the middle of the bloodiest conflict in Earths history with the death of billions.

It makes it seem like Savage taking over the world and killing Billions actually saves the human race from destroying the planet/extinction and Rip is just an rear end in a top hat that is endlessly seeking revenge regardless of the cost.

I completely agree. As I said earlier, we've tried monarchies, democracies, and many other nation-based forms of government and they all eventually get hosed up.
Furthermore, HeatWave/Chronos and Snart could easily make a deal with Savage to go around stealing stuff and causing mayhem around his devastation. OR the LoT could ditch Rip and work with Savage as a sort of clean-up and rehab crew. So he goes in, demolishes an area and takes it over, then they come along and help people on a local scale, re-building infrastructure for the survivors and helping them crawl from the wreckage. So Vandal gains 'political' power and they can still be do-gooders.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

That was oddly humanizing for Savage. Everyone talks about how he's an unfeeling psychopath but that's completely at odds with that moment.

I mean more than likely it's hideous writing but I'd be very interested of they run with "Savage is ruthless and callous but actually thinks he's doing the right thing for all of history."

On the other hand he paled around with Stalin and murdered a dude so his buddies could drink his blood so going with the bad writing theory

E: on the other other hand it was Carter so that may actually make him the biggest hero in history

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
If you think "huh maybe Vandal has the right idea" you're a horrid fascist just fyi

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Chokes McGee posted:

Everyone talks about how he's an unfeeling psychopath but that's completely at odds with that moment.
That's because Flash introduced him as a pervert that gets his rocks off through his creepy hatefuck time-trigger fetish. His entire character was written as "Guy who murders Hawkpeople, sucks their mist, then sharpens knives while they regenerate". Everything else has been a timewasting enterprise on the whim of a guy that has a shitload of time on his hands. Sell nukes to Biyalistopia? Why the gently caress not. Genefuck 1950s whiteboys? Might be fun for a few years (also tuna salad).

Suddenly he's this enlightened long-con guy that's using chaos to destabilize the world regime to save the humanity from itself? Like he takes a TimeTrip to 1977 and finds that Kasnia nukes Israel and causes a holocaust because nothing is around to check them, so he TimeHax his way to 1975 to organize a Norwegian atomics sale that neutralizes that threat. We kind of see this in the Per Degaton era, as Vandal tries to get everyone to realize that environmental collapse is a generation away.

So really, Vandal Savage is the Legend of Tomorrow. And Rip is our time villain.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 7, 2016

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
#TeamSavage

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
the best Savage will always be the one from the JL episode where he destroyed the world and then became a regular chill dude

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FilthyImp posted:

That's because Flash introduced him as a pervert that gets his rocks off through his creepy hatefuck time-trigger fetish. His entire character was written as "Guy who murders Hawkpeople, sucks their mist, then sharpens knives while they regenerate". Everything else has been a timewasting enterprise on the whim of a guy that has a shitload of time on his hands. Sell nukes to Biyalistopia? Why the gently caress not. Genefuck 1950s whiteboys? Might be fun for a few years (also tuna salad).

Suddenly he's this enlightened long-con guy that's using chaos to destabilize the world regime to save the humanity from itself? Like he takes a TimeTrip to 1977 and finds that Kasnia nukes Israel and causes a holocaust because nothing is around to check them, so he TimeHax his way to 1975 to organize a Norwegian atomics sale that neutralizes that threat. We kind of see this in the Per Degaton era, as Vandal tries to get everyone to realize that environmental collapse is a generation away.

I imagine the writers are kicking themselves for using Ra's al-Ghul in Arrow, because that's his thing in the comics.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Xoidanor posted:

I would agree except that Ray has been established as neither mentally ill or a hormonal 14-year old

Well, he has been established as this now!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It was okay -- not a new classic, but definitely worth seeing if you like high-concept sci-fi, psychological thrillers, and those actors. It was definitely less cringeworthy than this week's episode.

This is actually the type of poo poo I eat up so thanks for the rec

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Four Score posted:

the best Savage will always be the one from the JL episode where he destroyed the world and then became a regular chill dude

Pretty much this. I came in expecting JLAU coolness and instead got hawkgirl not being a huge badass, fawning over her lover.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Wait a sec, if Savage can time travel, then maybe it wasn't the timeline correcting itself every time Rip went back to save his family. Maybe Savage was just screwing with him and going back as many times as Rip did.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Krad posted:

Wait a sec, if Savage can time travel, then maybe it wasn't the timeline correcting itself every time Rip went back to save his family. Maybe Savage was just screwing with him and going back as many times as Rip did.

I'm betting the show is going to double down and go with something like the Time Masters not wanting Rip to off Savage because Savage is the First Time Lord and/or is integral to forming the Time Lords themselves. They can't let Rip save his family because that would erase them all from history.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rip's wife would go on to be history's most terrible dictator, and his son would release a cover of All Star that becomes the world anthem. They did what had to be done.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Chokes McGee posted:

Why do you keep watching this show if you hate it so much? I mean, not trying to white knight here, but it seems like your life would be a lot happier if you like got a dog and went to a park to play with it instead. :ohdear:

Because goons are insecure as hell, and so they only talk about things negatively to avoid the nightmare scenario of someone saying "Lol you like that? It's garbage you idiot."

Chokes McGee posted:

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on that because watching him clown on the team by having three backup plans and grinning WE'RE A LOT A-LIKE YOU AND IIII is pretty endearing to me

Opinions on the internet :shepface:

Every time someone gives that speech, I think about Phantom Limb and Brock Samson.

"We're not so different, you and I..."

"Yeah, I don't need another 'We're not so different' speech, I get those a lot."

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I rewatched the last few episodes with my girlfriend today so she could catch up. Ummmmm am I crazy or are their younger selves STILL on the Waverider?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Windows 98 posted:

I rewatched the last few episodes with my girlfriend today so she could catch up. Ummmmm am I crazy or are their younger selves STILL on the Waverider?

No, they got dropped off with Foster Mom and young Rip in the time house.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Windows 98 posted:

They got dumped off at the Time Orphanage with lil' Rip "The Shanker" Hunter.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rip's wife would go on to be history's most terrible dictator, and his son would release a cover of All Star that becomes the world anthem. They did what had to be done.

Time Master's suck since half of that already happened.

Anyways, I like this show, it's pulpy action and we need some of that on TV right now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Time Masters being in League with Savage is the least surprising twist in history.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

The Time Masters being in League with Savage is the least surprising twist in history.

Wanna empty quote this so hard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
WHY ARE WE STILL WATCHING THIS.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Rhyno posted:

Because some of us enjoy cheesy schlock, even if the plot has tons of holes in it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ApeHawk posted:

Because some of us enjoy cheesy schlock, even if the plot has tons of holes in it.

Yeah, basically. All three Arrowverse shows are bad, but at least this one still has fun moments inside the idiotic plots. That's more than I can say for Arrow, and were it not for Cisco and Harry, the Flash as well.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Rhyno posted:

Sick burns from Savage.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

ded posted:

Sick burns from Savage.

Savage burns?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

If you think "huh maybe Vandal has the right idea" you're a horrid fascist just fyi
look i just want everyone on this show to die, is that so wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd follow Caity Lotz down any rabbit hole, i'm in still but i'm not really enjoying it.

• Locked thread