Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Oh hell, that's much better than the hipster vegan thing I imagined. And yes I'd just eat it after I finished.

E: green tea everything, that count as a dumb food trend? It's all over. "Healthy antioxidant green tea candy" lol.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

om nom nom posted:

I mean I get you're a pro barista or whatever and take pride in your work, but sometimes people just want their drat coffee.

If that's what you want then just go to Starbucks for burnt espresso made by people that don't care

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Scathach posted:

E: green tea everything, that count as a dumb food trend? It's all over. "Healthy antioxidant green tea candy" lol.

Green tea is tasty, but if you like green tea for anything other than it's taste or it's caffeine, you are being scammed.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Apparently this is how some place serves ceasar salad:

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Palpek posted:

According to the wiki article, at least, the daughter of the inventor of the Caesar salad served it like that.

Not that it isn't kinda dumb.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Tiberius Thyben posted:

According to the wiki article, at least, the daughter of the inventor of the Caesar salad served it like that.

"gently caress you, dad!"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm supposed to make his dumb salads for HOW many guests? gently caress that, I already have way too many chores left to do

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah. Disney's Animal Kingdom has them because they're biodegradable in case assholes throw them into the animal habitats. They're generally good for the time it takes to finish your drink, as they get too soggy and soft to use for multiple refills.

That is actually a really really great idea. Props to the person who came up with it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Scathach posted:

Oh hell, that's much better than the hipster vegan thing I imagined. And yes I'd just eat it after I finished.

Don't forget the matcha!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

Green tea is tasty, but if you like green tea for anything other than it's taste or it's caffeine, you are being scammed.

Aww, that's minorly disappointing.

Palpek posted:

This reminds me of how I imagined prison salads looking when I was a kid. They'd just toss you a head of lettuce with a few strips of bacon on top of it.

Picnic Princess posted:

Don't forget the matcha!

Oh god, this looks like a whole new can of worms.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Don't let them know about the one antioxidant secret that doctors hate

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Palpek posted:

This is how Gordon Ramsay did his Caesar Salad. Everyone makes mistakes I guess. Eating that is going to be really annoying.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Tiberius Thyben posted:

It's that trend where people fall head over heels for things that are 'the way they originally were' as if everything was originally better. Newsflash - most things were made better with years of improvements coming little by little from different sources.

I mean, one of the places claiming to have originated the hamburger serves it with toast bread and forbids to use sauces. It's actually cool to have an old place serving them like that but if suddenly restaurants start putting overcooked patties between soggy pieces of toast and lock the cupboards with ketchup for the sake of it being the better original then gently caress them.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Palpek posted:

It's that trend where people fall head over heels for things that are 'the way they originally were' as if everything was originally better. Newsflash - most things were made better with years of improvements coming little by little from different sources.

I mean, one of the places claiming to have originated the hamburger serves it with toast bread and forbids to use sauces. It's actually cool to have an old place serving them like that but if suddenly restaurants start putting overcooked patties between soggy pieces of toast and lock the cupboards with ketchup for the sake of it being the better original then gently caress them.

Only dumb animals put ketchup on burgers. Mustard is the only acceptable condiment.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Last festival I went to the food vans used uncoated paper plates. Sure they'd get soggy, but they lasted well enough for the 15 minutes it took to eat your curry. And they broke down a lot quicker in the compost.
(Cutlery was bamboo. I'm pretty sure the intent was that all meal waste could go into the biodegradables bin together)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

KiteAuraan posted:

Only dumb animals put ketchup on burgers. Mustard is the only acceptable condiment.

This isn't the Post your stupid niche opinion thread.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

So does the eleventh cup of green tea not count, or...?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

This is how Gordon Ramsay did his Caesar Salad. Everyone makes mistakes I guess. Eating that is going to be really annoying.

I think you just pick it up and dip. I've only seen it served like that cooked though.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw a Kitchen Nightmares once where Gordon complained that leaving the butt on means you can't clean the lettuce properly :shrug:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Frankston posted:

I saw a Kitchen Nightmares once where Gordon complained that leaving the butt on means you can't clean the lettuce properly :shrug:

"It's a grilled caesar salad? As in, the chef puts the lettuce on the grill? Does that not sound a bit weird to you?"

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

If that's what you want then just go to Starbucks for burnt espresso made by people that don't care

For the record 'dialing in' is just adjusting the grind settings, it's something you do at the beginning of the day and not five times in front of a customer to look like a Cool Barista

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Palpek posted:

This is everywhere in the Twin Cities. It's irritating. The Caesar dressing is always crappy and is never fresh. Bucca actually makes one with whole anchovies that's pretty good. But, dammit, I'm not the chef! I didn't ask for ingredients, I asked for an F'n salad! Make the dressing fresh, it takes less than a minute. Tear, not cut, the leaves off the stem and toss. Garnish with fresh croutons and ask if you want black pepper. gently caress adding chicken, the salad is the course on it's own. A Caesar salad should not be a main in my opinion. It's a starter and should be flavorful, but light and easy. I've ordered a Caesar with chicken at Redstone and you can't even finish it. When I order a salad, it should be light. If I wanted heavy, I'd order a half roasted chicken. I just wanted a loving salad!

/Rant off

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

might be wrong posted:

For the record 'dialing in' is just adjusting the grind settings, it's something you do at the beginning of the day and not five times in front of a customer to look like a Cool Barista

That's what I was thinking. I appreciate that it's a fancy coffee shop, and there is a certain time per drink to be expected. It was the four shots that went down the drain when my cousin said he was just going to knock it back. I didn't know what exactly "dialing it in" was until your post, but it was something I would have figured would have been done long before 9am when we got our coffee. And you could tell she wanted to show off/impress us with her ability to "dial it in". That was what came across as unnecessary, not the fact that she cared about the end product (I'm a chef, I can relate, that part is appreciated).

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah. Disney's Animal Kingdom has them because they're biodegradable in case assholes throw them into the animal habitats. They're generally good for the time it takes to finish your drink, as they get too soggy and soft to use for multiple refills.

I'm more concerned about the person who thought it would be a good idea to give a child a bloody Mary.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I don't watch much Gordon Ramsey but are you supposed to believe it's spontaneous, with apparently 11 camera men distributed through the restaurant?

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

davidspackage posted:

I don't watch much Gordon Ramsey but are you supposed to believe it's spontaneous, with apparently 11 camera men distributed through the restaurant?

No. The restaurant asks him to come help them, so he does and then they refuse to take his help and he screams at them, then they cry, then he fixes it and then 3 months later they go back to doing the poo poo he told them not to do, then they go out of business

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

SneakyFrog posted:

i wonder if one could get a lucrative youtube money gig seductively describing the experiences of frozen dinners.

i bet it could be found with less :effort: that i dont have

There was a guy who did this, the show was pretty cool and called Freezerburns but then he stopped doing it because he became depressed about how lovely a specific microwave dinner was and just stopped doing the show mid-episode. I think for a while he tried to do a follow up show that was more aimed at teaching people how to make reasonable meals out with some premade ingredients but it didn't go anywhere.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alton brown makes it look good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/easy-salad-with-frozen-vinegar-64535.html

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

-S- posted:

No. The restaurant asks him to come help them, so he does and then they refuse to take his help and he screams at them, then they cry, then he fixes it and then 3 months later they go back to doing the poo poo he told them not to do, then they go out of business
In most cases it doesn't even matter if they do what he asks or not, most of those restaurants were doomed anyway. It's business, Ramsey can't make miracles happen, throughout his career he had to close quite a few restaurants of his own. I read somewhere that each and every restaurant from season 2 went out of business.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

-S- posted:

I always found the American version seemed much more staged. And the style took on too many of the cliches from the worst reality shows.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Marenghi posted:

I always found the American version seemed much more staged. And the style took on too many of the cliches from the worst reality shows.

Oh really! You don't think the mafioso bill collector who talks like a rejected extra from Godfather Part III was a 100% legit person? And him getting into a fistfight with the owner was staged?

Plus, Ramsay himself is a dramatically better narrator than the US version guy. And the show's actually about the ins and outs of making food and running a restaurant, rather than Jersey shore family squabbles, with some perfunctory "Oh, your refrigerator is broken, your oven doesn't work, and your roof is leaking. Let's fix that and things will be better" thrown in.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Tendai posted:

I feel like any time I go on my Facebook now, I am guaranteed to see a gif or lovely video of someone putting poo poo in or on biscuits that come from tubes and acting like it's a big deal and they really cooked.

The worst one I saw was Oreo donut holes. They cut up biscuits (it's always loving tube biscuits, like you said), deep fried them, coated them in crushed oreo cookies, and then made the innards into an icing that they poured on the donut holes. It was loving gross as gently caress. It's then that I starting hiding all videos from recipe sites. It's the little down arrow to the right of the post title.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Oh really! You don't think the mafioso bill collector who talks like a rejected extra from Godfather Part III was a 100% legit person? And him getting into a fistfight with the owner was staged?

Plus, Ramsay himself is a dramatically better narrator than the US version guy. And the show's actually about the ins and outs of making food and running a restaurant, rather than Jersey shore family squabbles, with some perfunctory "Oh, your refrigerator is broken, your oven doesn't work, and your roof is leaking. Let's fix that and things will be better" thrown in.

Yes, everybody should watch the great UK series, and lament the state of US TV afterwards.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Lamprey Cannon posted:

The UK version is about food cost, labor, management, overhead, and serving food that someone might want to eat. The US version is about yelling but still fun. I enjoy both and I wish they were both still on. It's more fun if you've worked in a commercial kitchen.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

mostlygray posted:

The UK version is about food cost, labor, management, overhead, and serving food that someone might want to eat. The US version is about yelling but still fun. I enjoy both and I wish they were both still on. It's more fun if you've worked in a commercial kitchen.

The US version also has Amy's Baking Company. Crazy people with too much money on their hands are very entertaining.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, everybody should watch the great UK series, and lament the state of US TV afterwards.

They took the UK version off Netflix a long time ago and it broke my heart.

FetusSlapper posted:

The US version also has Amy's Baking Company. Crazy people with too much money on their hands are very entertaining.

Like people said, a lot of stuff on the American show is played up for drama (and even seemingly minor things are twisted so that every episode has the same plot points half the time, its annoying). But not Amy's. That episode is Too Real

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pretty much every restaurant in the UK Kitchen Nightmares complained about being misrepresented as well. And at least one sued Ramsay afterwards. Also they are all closed. Restaurant business is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCU3K6l95Xw

• Locked thread