Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lenore Taylor bemoans the use of "class war" (of course she would, she got a tax cut) and gets served in the comments:

Catherine Schrodinger posted:

If we can't call it a class war, then what do we call this concerted attack by the Coalition on the lower classes? If Mr Turnbull is so appalled by the "us vs them" rhetoric, then why does his party divide us into "lifters and leaners"?

The "leaners", of course, are never corporate welfare recipients who siphon billions of our taxes out of national coffers every year. The "leaners" are never those with the means to rort tax loopholes in order to avoid paying their fair share. No... the "leaners" as far as the Coalition are concerned, are always the poor, the marginalised and the disenfranchised.

One need look no further than the USA to see what happens to a country which abandons Keynesian economics in favour of Friedman's "Masters of the Universe" type neoliberalism. After 40 years of it, the USA is now a nation where the disparity between the "haves" and the "have nots" is greater than ever before... and getting worse... because the lower classes ARE under attack.

We need to stop kidding ourselves (and each other) and call this what it is: A class war. Perhaps when we have the courage to call it what it is we can find a means to end it... because pretending it's not happening is only going to lead this country down the same godforsaken path the USA has taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
On the other hand

quote:

Rather than stoking a sneering, jealous and lazy class war - trying to tell people that it's not okay to work hard, achieve your best and be successful - perhaps the bizarrely named "Australia Institute" should promote prosperity, success, self sufficiency and ambition.

Or is that only for those nasty rich people ?

:ancap:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Chris Pyne signs are up all around my area, isn't that a big no-no before it's officially called?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Senor Tron posted:

Chris Pyne signs are up all around my area, isn't that a big no-no before it's officially called?

Haven't seen them, where 'bouts?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Senor Tron posted:

Pretty Sure Mal said he's calling it tomorrow so it's probably LNP staffers following commands from the mothership to put them up the day before so tomorrow morning makes Pyne seem popular locally.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Does literally anyone care about signage? We have mandatory voting, it's not as if we need to be hyped for the election. Is it just for name recognition?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

Haven't seen them, where 'bouts?

Glynburn Road.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Does literally anyone care about signage? We have mandatory voting, it's not as if we need to be hyped for the election. Is it just for name recognition?

the lnp buys Facebook likes

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Seagull posted:

the lnp buys Facebook likes

touché

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Even in countries without mandatory voting the point of signs is to make donors / party members happy, not to actually persuade swing voters.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

To an extent, it gives the impression of legitimacy. It's hard for a challenger to knock off an incumbent if nobody knows who they are.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Senor Tron posted:

Glynburn Road.

I'm going to be so jazzed to vote against him the year he finally gets the boot... hopefully... this is a conservative as gently caress area.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
And I can imagine that for the incumbent it can be something of an intimidation tactic. "Look just HOW MUCH of your surrounding community votes for the Liberals! Sure would be a same if you wasted your vote against this kind of support!"

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Gives a good target for arson

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Senor Tron posted:

https://twitter.com/BernardKeane/status/728858532129456128

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
:allears:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

If I was Pyne's campaign manager, I wouldn't be reminding the electorate who they don't want to vote for so soon...

edit: so would it be technically be an electoral crime to deface said posters before the writs? Asking for a friend.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
IANAL but,

It would seem that if you defaced them you could argue that you were trying to assist the poster in complying with the law. Even if it all goes tits up, by prosecuting you your friend they have little way of avoiding prosecuting the offending posters. The LNP probably have a special contingency fund for this because they cheat like nobody's business every time and don't ever seem to get punished for it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
How could you deface a poster any worse than putting Christopher pynes face on it?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I thought signs couldn't go up until 28 days before polling?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

How could you deface a poster any worse than putting Christopher pynes face on it?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I want Pyne to lose his seat even more badly than I wanted Howard to lose his. Hopefully I won't be disappointed this time either.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Starshark posted:

I want Pyne to lose his seat even more badly than I wanted Howard to lose his. Hopefully I won't be disappointed this time either.

poo poo, I might even volunteer this year. Will the Greens let me hand out "anyone but Pyne" cards?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
It'd be kind of nice to see Dutton go down too, but looking at the margin unless he's caught with his hogleg up a great dane's poopchute I don't think it's happening.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Saw a whole bunch of Pyne signs on the drive home just now. Wondering whether I should be putting my own signs up early or if I should wait to do it fairly and then miss out on the best locations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/JuliaEmBee/status/728899267692089344

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
We need to breed up some more of those Adelaide pigeons as a backup for when the F35 program falls over.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

thatbastardken posted:

I thought signs couldn't go up until 28 days before polling?

Depends on your local government. Putting up signage is a council issue

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
There's more LNP signs in Adelaide then just Sturt, Port Adelaide and around my neighborhood were covered in this disgusting poo poo.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
ALP signs are up on the Central coast. Looks both parties are jumping the gun.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yeah. abc has a story up they are waiting for turdball to start driving.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Jacqui Lambie is upset that the election is being called on Mother's day.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Jacqui Lambie is upset that the election is being called on Mother's day.

Maybe she can reclaim the limelight by making another one of her children's addictions known to the public again. Mother of the year right here.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Chris Bowen shaved

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Turnbulls gonna win.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Briggs signs up as well.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cmon Malcolm, surely you can't gently caress up calling an election as well.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/729099030223970305

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ewe2 posted:

Cmon Malcolm, surely you can't gently caress up calling an election as well.

Guardian says not due until after 2pm.

quote:

A short word on timings to help you plan your Sunday.

We expect the prime minister Malcolm Turnbull to take off from the Lodge to see the governor general at around 1pm today, and then return to parliament house for a press conference at around 2pm.

The Labor leader Bill Shorten has been on breakfast television, has held a press conference in Melbourne, and will be in Beaconsfield around 3pm this afternoon to mark the anniversary of the mine disaster in Tasmania, before returning to Canberra tonight.

The Greens leader Richard Di Natale will be in Newcastle around lunchtime. He is attending a coal protest in the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
itshappening.gif

(he is at the lodge anyway)

• Locked thread