Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dazzling Addar posted:

Are they? Could you name an example? I'm interested to hear it, Ciaran was a bit of a cipher when we met her. I've hardly heard anyone mention her name at all in regards to Souls 3.

A popular one I've seen crop up at least three different times has been that "she has to be the one who started the abyss watchers!" because. No one ever has any real proof of it, just that she's a character with ties to Artorias therefore everything has to be linked. There's also the theory that she is Yuria. Basically any female character without a concrete backstory=ciaran in at least one theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Wasn't Ciaran one of the four knights of Gwyn? Abyss watchers have pbvious connections to artorias. I mean, logivally Ciaran is more likely to be connected to boreal valley, with the dancer being one of them femalians and having blue/orange swords.

Edit: unfortunately the hornets ring doesn't appear to be placed in a location where you can come up with interesting theories. The hornets ring in ds3 is found near a grave with a farron greatsword leaning against it. Once more Ciaran is only a smaller part in the greater Artorias mythos. I wish she would carve out her own place in the ds mythos.

Curdy Lemonstan fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 7, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I've given in and will be making a Grave Wardens twinblades character. From a low level perspective (i.e. after stamina and health have been sorted), should I focus on pumping LCK or DEX? I'm still not sure what would give the biggest, more immediate damage boost.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Wasn't Ciaran one of the four knights of Gwyn? Abyss watchers have pbvious connections to artorias. I mean, logivally Ciaran is more likely to be connected to boreal valley, with the dancer being one of them femalians and having blue/orange swords.

Edit: unfortunately the hornets ring doesn't appear to be placed in a location where you can come up with interesting theories. The hornets ring in ds3 is found near a grave with a farron greatsword leaning against it. Once more Ciaran is only a smaller part in the greater Artorias mythos. I wish she would carve out her own place in the ds mythos.

Her being related to the dancer is thrown around too. :shrug: Maybe I'm the weird one for not finding her especially memorable I guess. As for the hornet ring location, I assume that's just a homage to the location in Dark Souls, where you find it behind Artorias' grave which has Sif's giant sword stabbed into it in a similar fashion.

Speaking of Sif and Artorias though. My new favorite lore theory is that every artorias sword is canon. The abyss sword from the first game is Artorias' sword and goes on to become the Majestic Greatsword in two and the Wolf Knight Greatsword in Three. Meanwhile the other two Artorias swords are actually Sif's swords since you get them from his soul.

Soral
May 30, 2009

someone give me tips for fighting the champ at sl1, because holy loving baloney

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Soral posted:

someone give me tips for fighting the champ at sl1, because holy loving baloney
do you want to do it legit?

Otherwise just do the Sword Master trick again, he's got a summon sign there apparently

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Once more Ciaran is only a smaller part in the greater Artorias mythos. I wish she would carve out her own place in the ds mythos.

I always got the impression that she was the first or greatest Darkmoon Blade; "Lord's Blade" Ciaran and all that, combined with her appearance and the feminine associations with the Darkmoon mythos (Gwyndolin's androgynous and the Darkmoon Knight is a woman; the moon itself is described as having a feminine aspect).

That'd be a cool place for them to slip a little more lore about her.

Exodee posted:

Otherwise just do the Sword Master trick again, he's got a summon sign there apparently

He does and you won't need the trick, as I've said itt before Sword Master absolutely fucks up the Champ and is capable of soloing him

Soral
May 30, 2009

i've tried summoning him twice after multiple solo attempts and he gets completely dunked upon by the champ

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Soral posted:

i've tried summoning him twice after multiple solo attempts and he gets completely dunked upon by the champ

:(

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Some guy got a reply from Italian Bamco Customer Support about Poise

quote:

"Dear [REDACTED],
sorry for the delay,
Yes, it seems there was a problem with the value "poise" in the game, but it will with any chance be solved with the next patches."

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4i953t/so_ive_contacted_bamco_about_the_poise_issue/

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I always got the impression that she was the first or greatest Darkmoon Blade; "Lord's Blade" Ciaran and all that, combined with her appearance and the feminine associations with the Darkmoon mythos (Gwyndolin's androgynous and the Darkmoon Knight is a woman; the moon itself is described as having a feminine aspect).

That'd be a cool place for them to slip a little more lore about her.

Yeah that would be cool, instead we get female support character overcome with grief over Guts from berserk descent into darkness.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I want to do a faith buff build with lightning blade, deep protection, and sacred oath. For buffs I still need to have 60 faith to get reasonable damage right? Also what weapons and infusions synergize with lightning blade? The only one i know is Lothric Knight Greatsword

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

I've played enough games in my life to know that customer support know less than random people on reddit. Especially when it comes to Japanese games. I'll believe it when I see it in the game.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

I thought you asked your wife to hide the game from you.

I did but I'm a dumb animal with weak willpower :negative:

Digirat posted:

She got hooked too

She took it to work and played it and got to the Deacons in one go and has told me to git gud or she's leaving me for VaatiVidya.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 7, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Aw yeah I beat the final boss (Nameless King ofc), time to get everything ready for NG+!

Never doubt the Greathammers.

The hardest part is over already, because I farmed the loving ears (while waiting for Aldrich summons). 30 shields, 85 helmets, 61 armors, 81 gloves and 59 leggins. I'm sure someone is plugging this into a statistics table right now.

Now to see that I didn't miss anything else important...and to plan for what paths to take and which NPC quests not to gently caress up in NG+ :negative:. I restatted to have 40/40 str/dex instead of my almost useless 30 int and 20/20 str/dex, and I might actually keep it to challenge myself with heavier weapons/have the lighter ones do damage worth a drat. Then go Luck for NG++. If I still feel up for toying around then.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Okay so I rerolled a knight because I couldn't beat the tutorial boss with a herald and finally managed to get past him. I made it to the quest hub (I'm assuming this is what that place is?) and and now I can't kill this random dude with the two handed sword to the right of the quest hub entrance (looking outward).

I mean poo poo if this is hard for me maybe the game isn't for me.

I think what's throwing me off is that I'm having a really hard time judging distances in this game. Like its not so immediately obvious in my opinion whether or not an enemy can hit me or whether I can hit them. My first run in with the tutorial boss I got my rear end handed to me because I watched him do a few attacks and thought "ok his reach is x long" and tried to back up that far when he'd try to attack only to get owned because I wasn't out of his range. So this led to a lot hilarious rolling around until I just beat him by pure chance.

I also can't get the timing right for parrying. And actually now that I think about it holding the left bumper for shield is a really awkward position. So is jumping because every time I press down on the stick I inadvertently jerk it off course. So like that one thing in the tutorial you have to jump to get to took me forever because I couldn't jump without jerking the stick to the left/right.

Which class uses the biggest most ridiculous looking anime sized sword in the game? That's what I want to play as.

As an aside I looked it up and the last DS game I played wasn't DS1 like I thought but was Demon Souls for the PS3.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

That guy to the right is supposed to be super hard, you don't have to beat him unless you really want his weapon, and you can goad him into rolling into the abyss (he did it for me and a buddy on his own, I never got to really fight him). Don't sweat him for now, though.

You will figure out the controls eventually, though jumping will always be awkward.

Every starting class can equip and do everything, you just have to pump the right stats. The big anime swords start at 30-sth STR (to one-hand), that isn't hard to reach.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Okay so I rerolled a knight because I couldn't beat the tutorial boss with a herald and finally managed to get past him. I made it to the quest hub (I'm assuming this is what that place is?) and and now I can't kill this random dude with the two handed sword to the right of the quest hub entrance (looking outward).

I mean poo poo if this is hard for me maybe the game isn't for me.

I think what's throwing me off is that I'm having a really hard time judging distances in this game. Like its not so immediately obvious in my opinion whether or not an enemy can hit me or whether I can hit them. My first run in with the tutorial boss I got my rear end handed to me because I watched him do a few attacks and thought "ok his reach is x long" and tried to back up that far when he'd try to attack only to get owned because I wasn't out of his range. So this led to a lot hilarious rolling around until I just beat him by pure chance.

I also can't get the timing right for parrying. And actually now that I think about it holding the left bumper for shield is a really awkward position. So is jumping because every time I press down on the stick I inadvertently jerk it off course. So like that one thing in the tutorial you have to jump to get to took me forever because I couldn't jump without jerking the stick to the left/right.

Which class uses the biggest most ridiculous looking anime sized sword in the game? That's what I want to play as.

The Sword Master outside Firelink is like an optional miniboss. He won't be going anywhere so you can come back when you're stronger.

I also hate L3 jumping for the same reason, which is why you can rebind the Jump button to something else in the options. The classic option is setting it to Circle/B and tapping it to jump while running.

Parrying is finicky cause there's a bit of a windup before it works. Medium Shields are also the worst implement for parrying; Small Shields and special parrying items (Buckler, Target Shield, Parrying Dagger) are much more ergonomic. Try to time your parry right when they start to swing at you.

Any class can be specced into any stat spread, so go hog wild. Knight is probably the best beginner's choice because of the optimal stat spread and well-balanced gear.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Knight is probably the best choice for a melee build because luck is completely useless unless you go all in with it. I think warrior technically gets an extra level to play with but even melee characters want attunement for weapon arts.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Surely they can't just 'turn' poise back on at this point without rebalancing almost every single damage value for weapons and monsters from scratch?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Lakbay posted:

Knight is probably the best choice for a melee build because luck is completely useless unless you go all in with it. I think warrior technically gets an extra level to play with but even melee characters want attunement for weapon arts.

Yeah, Knight has minimum luck, well rounded core stats, and exactly the right spread to get at least 10 ATT/INT/FTH which is something pretty much every character should have.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Simply Simon posted:

That guy to the right is supposed to be super hard, you don't have to beat him unless you really want his weapon, and you can goad him into rolling into the abyss (he did it for me and a buddy on his own, I never got to really fight him). Don't sweat him for now, though.

You will figure out the controls eventually, though jumping will always be awkward.

Every starting class can equip and do everything, you just have to pump the right stats. The big anime swords start at 30-sth STR (to one-hand), that isn't hard to reach.

Huh, I wasn't aware that I didn't need to beat him right now. Where do I go then? I'm not at home now but I don't remember there being another path to take.

What stats should I pump my currency into to begin with? Are there any break points I should try to hit?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Huh, I wasn't aware that I didn't need to beat him right now. Where do I go then? I'm not at home now but I don't remember there being another path to take.

What stats should I pump my currency into to begin with? Are there any break points I should try to hit?

Talk to the pretty lady some more and she'll tell you what you need to do. Always talk to NPCs until they start repeating themselves.

For stats, I usually go with Vigor (HP), Endurance (stamina), and a mix of Strength and Dexterity for damage. Just put one point in each stat until they're all 20, I guess. After that you may need to bump Strength more in order to hit certain weapon requirements. Eventually you can bump up Vitality to be able to carry beefier equipment without going above the crucial 70% weight limit, where you start rolling like a fatso.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
27 vigor will last for the entire lifetime of your character

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Monomythian posted:

Surely they can't just 'turn' poise back on at this point without rebalancing almost every single damage value for weapons and monsters from scratch?

What.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I want to do a faith buff build with lightning blade, deep protection, and sacred oath. For buffs I still need to have 60 faith to get reasonable damage right? Also what weapons and infusions synergize with lightning blade? The only one i know is Lothric Knight Greatsword

60 faith is completely unnecessary to use all the miracles. 45 faith if you literally want all the miracles but most of them aren't work using. I only got up to 30 faith for lightning blade and tears of denial with the lothric Knight GS. That's all the faith you really need. Put the rest of your points in STR instead.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I felt so smart when I rested at the Bonfire and realize that I could travel to somewhere unknown, then realized that this was the intended way to go and felt dumb again :(.

Echoing what others said about stats, for your first time it's probably a good idea to go 20 in the mentioned stats and then decide what you want to do. More interested in Dex weapons? Don't sweat those 20 STR, the weapons usually scale a little with it anyway. Wanna do some Pyromancy? Up Int/Faith until you can use it. Actually want to do a mage? Then you will have to reskill. But you can later on! So just do whatever you think is a good idea :).

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
My brother and I are going to do a co-op play through. If we want to maximize how often we're invaded should we stick to the wiki's co-op levels or go a little higher or a lot higher or what? My first play through was almost always embered and I was invaded I think 3 times. But I think I was probably under-leveled the whole time and over-upgraded a lot of it.

I'm also interested in hearing interesting weapon choice ideas or gimmick ideas. My main dude's a strength guy so those are mostly all the weapon's I've tried.

I got wrecked by a sorcerer in PVP a couple times last knight and am considering that.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

My brother and I are going to do a co-op play through. If we want to maximize how often we're invaded should we stick to the wiki's co-op levels or go a little higher or a lot higher or what? My first play through was almost always embered and I was invaded I think 3 times. But I think I was probably under-leveled the whole time and over-upgraded a lot of it.

I'm also interested in hearing interesting weapon choice ideas or gimmick ideas. My main dude's a strength guy so those are mostly all the weapon's I've tried.

I got wrecked by a sorcerer in PVP a couple times last knight and am considering that.
Sorcery (apparently, I've only ever used it as backup and it was fine then) kind of sucks until you get the really high Int levels and spells and catalysts way late, but with a permanent partner I think that's the best situation for a Sorcery playthrough. I'd say go for that. As for levels, dunno, I mostly leveled whenever I had the souls to not lose them and would get invaded whenever Embered in most areas.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

I felt so smart when I rested at the Bonfire and realize that I could travel to somewhere unknown, then realized that this was the intended way to go and felt dumb again :(.

Oh. I saw the travel option but I thought that was just like a waypoint system taking me back to the other bonfires I've already been to, not new ones.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

The sorcerer is probably one of the hardest starting classes. Both in PVP and PVE.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

NESguerilla posted:

Aldrichs arrows attack is really the stupidest loving thing.

If it lasted about half as long, I don't think I'd mind, but with mid 20s Endurance it's almost a full bar just to outrun the thing, so it can become the RNG deciding if you get to attack Aldritch this turn.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man, the dark Firelink shrine got me good. Now I'm trying to figure out whether the 'main' shrine is a past, future or dream version.

Also I'm guessing that giving the keeper those eyes triggered a different ending. Can someone let me know if I'll be able to choose outright at the end, or if I have to kill her now to stop it? Also will letting her live override all of the work I put in to become a dark lord zombie?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You still get a choice. If you do all the Dark Lord / Usurpation of Fire stuff, you want to pick "link the flame" at the end.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

Man, the dark Firelink shrine got me good. Now I'm trying to figure out whether the 'main' shrine is a past, future or dream version.

Also I'm guessing that giving the keeper those eyes triggered a different ending. Can someone let me know if I'll be able to choose outright at the end, or if I have to kill her now to stop it? Also will letting her live override all of the work I put in to become a dark lord zombie?
If you want to be perfectly safe, just kill her. I promise you that there will be zero consequences.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Why does male Anri sound like he inhaled some helium?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Oh yeah, before I gently caress myself over by going into NG+: when people say they need to grind out "the Covenants" before doing so, presumably it's mostly about Darkmoon Blade and the other spell stuff (like Great Deep Soul)? If I don't want the Wolf Greatsword, I don't have to bother with Watchdogs at all, correct? Talking about wanting Achievements, here.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Simply Simon posted:

Oh yeah, before I gently caress myself over by going into NG+: when people say they need to grind out "the Covenants" before doing so, presumably it's mostly about Darkmoon Blade and the other spell stuff (like Great Deep Soul)? If I don't want the Wolf Greatsword, I don't have to bother with Watchdogs at all, correct? Talking about wanting Achievements, here.

If you care about achievements you need the Wolf Ring from Watchdogs rank 2.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Wiseblood posted:

If you care about achievements you need the Wolf Ring from Watchdogs rank 2.
Ah gently caress you're absolutely right, thanks! Good thing I asked. Though I think I remember Watchdogs being
a) active again at NG+
b) probably easy to farm even in NG+
Is that correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol, I go back to my bleed character to wrap up nameless king, and the very first thing to happen after killing the wyvern is that I get invaded by a cheater. Homing soulmasses through the walls and infinite stamina, what a treat!