Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Looking to possibly get a CC as I have a non-rewards one through Wells Fargo for over 8 years now. I'm planning a honeymoon in January domestically but otherwise don't travel very often if at all, but maybe that would change if I could start accumulating points. Is the Chase Sapphire the best option? What sort of credit score should you have for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Update on my dumb lingering Amex app: finally had a customer rep call me yesterday and verify some details. Got accepted immediately with a credit limit twice of my original JetBlue Amex. Turns out their system was down that weekend when I applied two/three weeks ago and everyone who applied during that time couldn't get their details automatically verified. They were nice about it, at least, and they've express shipped my card for free.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Lblitzer posted:

Looking to possibly get a CC as I have a non-rewards one through Wells Fargo for over 8 years now. I'm planning a honeymoon in January domestically but otherwise don't travel very often if at all, but maybe that would change if I could start accumulating points. Is the Chase Sapphire the best option? What sort of credit score should you have for that?
It really depends on what you want to do and what your spending habits are. Sapphire has a great signup bonus and strong travel partners, that's why it gets recommended so much (also Chase pays bloggers lots of money), but if you're not going to travel much you'd probably be better of sticking with something like the Citi 2% cash back card long term (maybe add the Chase Freedom and Discover IT for rotating 5%). It can still be worth churning through some sign up bonuses though - even if you don't travel, Sapphire's bonus is worth $500 and the annual fee is waived the first year. Freedom and Freedom Unlimited with both give you $175 worth of points after spending $500. The Freedom cards could be nice options because you can accumulate points on them for a while with your normal spend, and if you decide you do want to travel in the future, get the Sapphire card and combine all those points together for travel rewards. If you don't wind up using the Sapphire, they're still worth 1 cent each.

Citi's ThankYou Premier used to have a similar bonus to Sapphire that could come back. Amex's cards tend to get really generous bonuses a couple of times a year as well. On any of the bonuses just make sure you can meet the minimum spend with your normal spending habits, don't start carrying a balance just to get a bonus.

I think people get approvals with a ~700 score for the CSP.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I believe it's targeted since none of the blogs caught it this morning, but United MP card sign-up bonus is back to 50k bonus miles for $2k spend in 3 months until late May. I've been waiting top off those miles (so good for Asia flights) so that's exciting. Plus, 5k miles for authorized user add-on.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Lblitzer posted:

The CSP is a strong first choice, but not the best one for everyone. Can you share a little bit more about your travel goals, preferred airlines, home airport, etc? You may not have an answer for everything but the more you know the better we can recommend something.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

pig slut lisa posted:

The CSP is a strong first choice, but not the best one for everyone. Can you share a little bit more about your travel goals, preferred airlines, home airport, etc? You may not have an answer for everything but the more you know the better we can recommend something.

Really I'd only looking to travel maybe once a year out of driving distance. Looking to fly out of Minneapolis to Phoenix at the beginning of 2017 but may be able to do all cash for that. Obviously if I could be able to afford it plus get some extra benefits would be great. I haven't flown in years so no preference in airlines really or even hotel chains.

I did use Credit Karma's "pre-approval" tool and it said I qualified for the Chase Freedom and Chase Slate (which I am guessing is good for balance transfers and not much else). The Freedom at least has cash back rewards it looks like. Don't know if that would mean I couldn't the Sapphire.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Lblitzer posted:

If you've had your Wells Fargo card for 8 years and paid it consistently on time you'll be able to qualify for any card you want The Chase Sapphire is an excellent card if you are going to be traveling, but it has an annual fee that I'm not certain is worth it for the rare domestic trip.

You could open one of the Chase Freedom cards now and start earning rewards, you can open a Chase Sapphire just before you decide to travel and transfer the points from the Freedom to it. Opening 2 credit cards will reduce your average age of accounts from 8 years to ~2.5 though. Your score will drop after opening them but pretty quickly recover as long as you pay the cards off on time reliably. I would only worry about it if you were considering a mortgage or car loan soon.

There is a Chase Freedom card with 5% rotating categories and another with flat 1.5% cashback.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Got approved for the Chase Freedom card, crazy that it'll take almost 2 weeks to get a card to me but whatever. Thanks for the advice guys. So should I keep my previous Wells Fargo CC open? I've since ripped up the card so unless I order a new one there isn't going to be much usage on it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Sanity check: I've got 100k Amex MR points from the Platinum signup bonus. I'd like to add to that over the next 12-18 months with the end goal of getting some nice reward travel with my wife to Europe or Asia, but I don't want to pay the annual fee again, so I'll need to close the Plat card at some point (after I get the airline fee reimbursement again in 2017, ideally.) To keep the MR points after closing the plat, I think I can get the no fee Everyday card (before closing the other card) and that will keep the points active (plus a signup bonus for that card.) Sound feasible so far?

I've also been getting mail offers for the Amex Gold with a 50k signup bonus since I've had plat, so I think I can still get a signup bonus for that at some point in the future as well? I guess my ideal situation would be able to eventually end up with the 100k + 50k from gold + 10k or more from the Everyday but who know what bonuses will be available by the time I get around to applying for stuff.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Thufir posted:

Sanity check: I've got 100k Amex MR points from the Platinum signup bonus. I'd like to add to that over the next 12-18 months with the end goal of getting some nice reward travel with my wife to Europe or Asia, but I don't want to pay the annual fee again, so I'll need to close the Plat card at some point (after I get the airline fee reimbursement again in 2017, ideally.) To keep the MR points after closing the plat, I think I can get the no fee Everyday card (before closing the other card) and that will keep the points active (plus a signup bonus for that card.) Sound feasible so far?

I've also been getting mail offers for the Amex Gold with a 50k signup bonus since I've had plat, so I think I can still get a signup bonus for that at some point in the future as well? I guess my ideal situation would be able to eventually end up with the 100k + 50k from gold + 10k or more from the Everyday but who know what bonuses will be available by the time I get around to applying for stuff.

As long as you have one MR card (gold, everyday, whatever) your points are safe.

You might want to get the premier rewards gold sooner rather than later; once Amex marks us as an existing customer its harder to get their higher bonuses without VPN fuckery/applying on a different computer. Everyday was 25k for awhile last fall, so it could go up again too.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

So should I keep my previous Wells Fargo CC open? I've since ripped up the card so unless I order a new one there isn't going to be much usage on it.
Assuming it's a no-fee WF card like the old one I have, sure just leave it open since it's the biggest contributor to your average age of account. I don't even carry mine anymore. I just set it to autopay and run my Netflix fee through it every month just so they don't close it.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

DeceasedHorse posted:

As long as you have one MR card (gold, everyday, whatever) your points are safe.

You might want to get the premier rewards gold sooner rather than later; once Amex marks us as an existing customer its harder to get their higher bonuses without VPN fuckery/applying on a different computer. Everyday was 25k for awhile last fall, so it could go up again too.

I second this action plan.

Also, 150K MR can be transferred to Aeroplan and will get you:
-2 round-trip economy tickets to Europe, Korea, Japan, China and Taiwan
-2 round-trip premium economy tickets to western and central Europe
-2 one-way business class tickets anywhere in Europe or Asia, or
-2 one-way first class tickets to Europe

on any number of great airlines like Lufthansa, Swiss, ANA, Asiana, and EVA. Get your wife to pick up a signing bonus or two and you can really start to dream big with round-trip business or first.

For my part, my wife and I are going to burn about two thirds of our MR balance to fly ANA first class next year. I'm stoked; it will be my first international premium flight.

Finally, don't forget to make use of the $200 airline credit on your Platinum if you haven't used it yet this year.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

pig slut lisa posted:

Finally, don't forget to make use of the $200 airline credit on your Platinum if you haven't used it yet this year.

Yeah, flipping that to amazon gift cards using the United trick was one of the first things I did when I got the card.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

DeceasedHorse posted:

2nd this. Amex offers are once/lifetime (someone on reddit was saying a lifetime is actually seven years, but who knows what the policy will be then). So maybe hold off on the everyday for the 25k offer. I think 50k on gold is pretty good, although supposedly its been 75k, I haven't seen it (check this spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-O7cxABDN1EGwBn8KXIm4ZZVXA88SVfmv2w4NIIyYvg/edit#gid=1565562899 ).

There are a few more platinums to get as well, and the ameriprise one is no fee first year. And supposedly churnable, although I'm gonna wait a year before trying. Even if I don't get the miles again, no fee first year with $400 in airline credit+global entry+perks is pretty drat good.

Also I got a $75/credit for part of the annual fee when I cancelled a regular platinum about a month early, w/o asking, it just showed up on the last statement. Kinda cool.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Any suggestions on getting to AUS from the US with miles? I'm pretty tapped out on AA and Chase, but my wife could probably do either, tho that's only 50k miles. I have 58k Avios, so that helps a little I think.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Any suggestions on getting to AUS from the US with miles? I'm pretty tapped out on AA and Chase, but my wife could probably do either, tho that's only 50k miles. I have 58k Avios, so that helps a little I think.

AA Plat, AA Plat Business, and Executive is 150k miles between the three though it would take a minimum of 65 days just to apply for all three.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
If I downgrade my CSP to Chase Sapphire - does that count against my 5/24 limit?

Also, I was reading this article about downgrading from CSP -> CS https://saverocity.com/milewriter/2015/03/22/why-i-dropped-the-preferred-from-chase-sapphire-preferred/ and it says the following:

1) If you downgrade to Sapphire, you will most likely not be eligible for another Sapphire Preferred sign-up bonus after a few years.
2) If you cancel altogether, you may be eligible for another Sapphire Preferred sign-up bonus after 24 months.

Is that true?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 29, 2016

daishan14
Mar 6, 2004
There is an Amex Platinum Mercedes Benz 75k MR offer that just went live today and still seems to be active. You can still get it if you have the regular platinum supposedly. I got it today even though I have 4 Amex cards already since it's a charge card. There is a thread over on reddit churning with more info, but you can find a link on Google. I had to open the application link with incognito on chrome for it to work, otherwise it was giving me a server error. I imagine they are getting hammered like that 100k offer last year so act fast.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

daishan14 posted:

There is an Amex Platinum Mercedes Benz 75k MR offer that just went live today and still seems to be active. You can still get it if you have the regular platinum supposedly. I got it today even though I have 4 Amex cards already since it's a charge card. There is a thread over on reddit churning with more info, but you can find a link on Google. I had to open the application link with incognito on chrome for it to work, otherwise it was giving me a server error. I imagine they are getting hammered like that 100k offer last year so act fast.

Awesome and thank you for the heads up. I've been putting off applying for an Amex Plat since I missed the 100k offer last August--this will do just fine. I just got approved online :toot:

(Reddit link is here.)

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

overdesigned posted:

Awesome and thank you for the heads up. I've been putting off applying for an Amex Plat since I missed the 100k offer last August--this will do just fine. I just got approved online :toot:

(Reddit link is here.)

Congrats. What are you going to do with your points?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Domestic airline travel, most likely. I'm in a long distance relationship so I do a lot of that. Also lounge access, because I do a lot of domestic airline travel...

Also I'm gonna try and get the annual fee waived because I'm military.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Busy Bee posted:

1) If you downgrade to Sapphire, you will most likely not be eligible for another Sapphire Preferred sign-up bonus after a few years.
2) If you cancel altogether, you may be eligible for another Sapphire Preferred sign-up bonus after 24 months.

Is that true?
From my understanding you are eligible to get the signup bonus again 24 months after the last time you received it. Not based on when you got the card, canceled the card, or product changed your last one.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
The att access more card, I should be able to just load my amazon account with 2k in gift card purchases (reload direct from amazon) to get 3x on the 2k minimum spend, right?

Just wondering if I'm missing some fine print or something on "3x on online retail sites" that it has to be an actual purchase. I'm pretty sure it would just show up as a 2k amazon charge though....

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
CSP Purchases via paypal count as normal purchases, not as cash advances, right?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

ilkhan posted:

CSP Purchases via paypal count as normal purchases, not as cash advances, right?
Correct

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Oh lord I'm approximately a million posts behind in this thread and I can't possibly catch up. Penfed has let me down too many times and I want a card that (1) doesn't constantly get declined on legit transactions and (2) ideally has some rewards that happen automatically without me loving around with points or requesting checks or so forth. So far I have been suggested the Citi Double Rewards but I can't apply for it right now because their website is down. Any other options I should look at in the meantime?

Oh and I've got some travel coming up so I need something that works in the unattended chip&pin train ticket machines in Europe.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

If you need chip+pin your best choice is probably the Barclaycard Arrival+. Not the easiest points to redeem, but chip+pin is pretty rare among US cards and the Arrival+ will give you a $400 credit when redeemed against travel.

This may be a situation where you want to get two cards, since there's not really one card that meets all your criteria.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

pig slut lisa posted:

Barclaycard Arrival+
Ok I did this thing. Here's hoping it works out!

Conveniently, this is a mastercard and my other bank just switched me from mastercard to visa. Not that having both is really any use in this day and age

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 7, 2016

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Almost all my cards have chip and pin now. Even the REI MasterCard I got for the $100 gift card has it. I think it's become a pretty common feature.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
They're most likely chip and signature, not true chip and pin. 99% of the time it doesn't make a difference but I've run into machines in Europe that won't accept my chip card.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Yeah, that appears to be a chip+sig card (like nearly all US cards)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Chip and sig sucks so bad. Worst is at CVS, it receives the Apple pay and then says it's not supported and then take fifteen seconds to read the chip so I can scribble nonsense. I wish we had chip and pin here, how does anyone believe that signatures are any type of security?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Tyro posted:

They're most likely chip and signature, not true chip and pin. 99% of the time it doesn't make a difference but I've run into machines in Europe that won't accept my chip card.

Yup. Nothing quite like finding yourself in a remote train station in Italy with no attendant in sight, needing a ticket for the 10pm train and your cash is 5 euro short.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I was under the impression you could ask your credit card provider to change the card to be chip+pin as the primary authentication method.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I think you can always just phone them and add a pin, which is supposed to be for cash advances, but presumably works at machines that want chip+pin.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Every time I think I understand what's going on with it, something else changes...

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Bentai posted:

I was under the impression you could ask your credit card provider to change the card to be chip+pin as the primary authentication method.

No.

Rated PG-34 posted:

I think you can always just phone them and add a pin, which is supposed to be for cash advances, but presumably works at machines that want chip+pin.

No.

TraderStav posted:

Chip and sig sucks so bad.

Yes.

Almost every card in the US is issued with the Signature CVM (cardholder verification method) for POS sales. Having PIN for ATM does not make it available for POS.

At the same time, the number of POS UATs (unattended terminals, like at train stations) that don't accept Signature or No CVM is dwindling. Years ago, this was a common problem. Now, even most train stations accept Sig/No CVM.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

TraderStav posted:

Chip and sig sucks so bad. Worst is at CVS, it receives the Apple pay and then says it's not supported and then take fifteen seconds to read the chip so I can scribble nonsense. I wish we had chip and pin here, how does anyone believe that signatures are any type of security?
Your credit card company isn't going to try to make you liable for fraudulent chip+sig purchases where there is a real possibility they will for chip+pin (obviously it'd take a little more work on the part of a thief to get a pin). Either way, the bigger thing with chip cards is avoiding counterfeiting and hopefully the massive centralized breaches via Targets and Home Depots and the like, card-present fraud isn't the big concern.

Anyway the Arrival+ card will be good for your trip, it has chip+pin and (more importantly) no foreign fees.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it looks good. Now I'm going to find myself in a year having to figure out whether it's worth the annual fee to keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

slap me silly posted:

Yeah, it looks good. Now I'm going to find myself in a year having to figure out whether it's worth the annual fee to keep it.

It's not, definitely get a different card and don't pay the annual fee.