Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

SeanBeansShako posted:

The more sober you get, the more horrific it becomes. Plunder all the wine and beer you can get. Don't insult anyones honour though!

Full drunkenness would be ala the Meet the Pyro short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

darthbob88 posted:

Yeah, but the first chapter or two really needs to be that sort of upbeat CoD-style thing in the bright colourful fields of France. Give them some time to actually charge across no-man's land and give the Boche a taste of cold steel, let them think it's all fun and games, and then you start ramping up the oppressively brown and grey mud and imminent death.

There should be a trench rat-bashing minigame during loading screens. Also the loading screens are long and boring and you have the chance to get randomly disconnected to represent dying to artillery and sniper shots and disease while sitting in the trench. These will be features

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How about a WW1 game that focuses on the engineers who endlessly go out to build and reinforce trenches. If you ever feel like you've got a good thing going, the front moves a little and you have to start all over again.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

SlothfulCobra posted:

How about a WW1 game that focuses on the engineers who endlessly go out to build and reinforce trenches. If you ever feel like you've got a good thing going, the front moves a little and you have to start all over again.

Then you get orders from Field Marshal Haig that you don't need to reinforce the trenches up front any more since we're going to go on the attack any second now! The next day the Germans launch the Spring Offensive.

Also all of these ideas for WWI games are awful. What we really need is Trench Railway Tycoon.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Trenchcraft

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Taerkar posted:

Trenchcraft

OMG Italian rush

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Taerkar posted:

Trenchcraft

A billion people tried to make this game and it's always terrible.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

30yw survival horror

JaucheCharly posted:

One of the best game ideas that I've heard in a long time.

It's not though, it's her thesis title?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

House Louse posted:

It's not though, it's her thesis title?
no that's The Dresden Files

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The city was on fire and it wasn't my fault

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

darthbob88 posted:

Yeah, but the first chapter or two really needs to be that sort of upbeat CoD-style thing in the bright colourful fields of France. Give them some time to actually charge across no-man's land and give the Boche a taste of cold steel, let them think it's all fun and games, and then you start ramping up the oppressively brown and grey mud and imminent death.

To be fair 1914 will do that for you, before the whole trench thing kicks in. And pretty uniforms!

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was there any hope for Napoleon during the Hundred Days? It seems like even if he won at Waterloo France was too spent at that point and would've been ground down sooner or later. After all the austrians and russians didn't even arrive to the party.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Nebakenezzer posted:

World War 1 game should have random gas attacks, where you need to perform a complecated sequence of keystrokes in order to put on your gas mask. After a short time limit, if you fail, you die

Having your gas mask with you slows down your movement by just enough for players to notice, but you can dump it out of your inventory if you feel like it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Bagpipe Hero: with a plastic bag pipe controller you must inspire Highlanders into battle and strike fear into the hearts of your enemies.

You can do this in Mount & Blade Napoleonic Wars. Take the King's Shilling and join the SAdraGOONS today!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Experience being a medic in WW1:

http://www.bay12games.com/ww1medic/

Charge out of the trench to save a wounded man! Get shot in the back by friendly machine gun fire!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

my dad posted:

Experience being a medic in WW1:

http://www.bay12games.com/ww1medic/

Charge out of the trench to save a wounded man! Get shot in the back by friendly machine gun fire!

Anyone who hasn't played this before will be doing themselves by a favor by playing it.

(The best part is that if your side happens to successfully clear a trench, all that happens is that you move on to the next one!)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

cheerfullydrab posted:

How about a Papers, Please type game where you're a put-upon low-ranking officer who only got a commission because he's a qualified horse vet.

spectralent posted:

A billion people tried to make this game and it's always terrible.
Ace of Spades actually ended up being fun, but they abandoned WWI and turned it into a Minecraft/TF2 mashup instead.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

vintagepurple posted:

Was there any hope for Napoleon during the Hundred Days? It seems like even if he won at Waterloo France was too spent at that point and would've been ground down sooner or later. After all the austrians and russians didn't even arrive to the party.

Unless somehow the Tsar of Imperial Russia or the Kaiser of Austria had a weird change of heart and decided Napoleon was BFF/family again, chances are very slim for poor doomed Bonaparte really. All of the allies of the Coalition were pretty determined to get him out of power again.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

xthetenth posted:

The Thirty Years War makes me uncomfortable. Seriously, it's a giant book that is physically uncomfortable to hold.

Then please never read anything about wars of antiquity or earlier, because most of that poo poo ends with "And then the winners build pyramids out of human heads" or "And then the soldiers cheerfully charged into a mass of women and children to slaughter them all."

Sometimes survivors get sacrificed to the gods instead though, so it's not all bad. From the viewpoint of utter despair. :suicide:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Libluini posted:

Then please never read anything about wars of antiquity or earlier, because most of that poo poo ends with "And then the winners build pyramids out of human heads" or "And then the soldiers cheerfully charged into a mass of women and children to slaughter them all."

Sometimes survivors get sacrificed to the gods instead though, so it's not all bad. From the viewpoint of utter despair. :suicide:

It's a joke about Wilson's The Thirty Years War which is something like 800 big pages and just doesn't fit in my hands well.

Though I joke of the valley of death it shall fear no evil, for it is at 80,000 feet and climbing.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

This game is why God made greys and Browns

Kills like yours kiddie farmers prize their spawns for,
Palates like yours, and medal of honours, God made yawns for

Edit: I feel like "omg Italian rush" is too excitable, should be more like "OMG Italian rush, stop you fools, do you want us to kill you all?"

lenoon fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 7, 2016

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Can someone explain Dragoons to me? Why don't they just fight from the horse? Is it because they had cheaper non-fighting horses that were only good for going from point-a to point-b?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Here was my idea for a WWI text-only game a few years back:

>You are in the trench, facing the objective: the opposite trench 120 yards away occupied by the Bloody Huns. Your ears ring from the thunderous din of artillery shells, and you see wave after wave of your fellow countrymen being cut down. Your Sergeant is screaming that it is time for your unit to scramble up the ladders, and join the fray.

Do you:

1) climb the ladder
2) run back down the trench to safety

You have been shot by the Sergeant for cowardice. As you struggle to hold your entrails in, your fingers slippery with blood, vision narrowing down to a tunnel, then a pinpoint, you hear the Sergeant berate you for being a oval office not worthy of carrying the flag. As the innumerable boots of the next unit up on the line crunch your face and ribcage into formless jelly, your vision fades to black.

Reconnect, (Y/N?)

Y

>You are in the trench, facing the objective: the opposite trench 120 yards away occupied by the Bloody Huns. Your ears ring from the thunderous din of artillery shells, and you see wave after wave of your fellow countrymen being cut down. Your Sergeant is screaming that it is time for your unit to scramble up the ladders, and join the fray.

Do you:

1) climb the ladder
2) run back down the trench to safety

You make it to the top of the ladder, and then before you can take one step forward, you are cut down by a hail of gunfire.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
Perhaps if you play enough times you make it to the end of the war, so you can go home and get berated by your family for arriving too late to do anything. Then you have the option to hang or shoot yourself,

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Animal posted:

Can someone explain Dragoons to me? Why don't they just fight from the horse? Is it because they had cheaper non-fighting horses that were only good for going from point-a to point-b?

Same reason modern infantry rolls up in APCs/HMMVs/helicopters/etc. and dismounts to fight -- the horses are to get the infantry where they're needed quicker, fighting from the horse serves an entirely different purpose.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 7, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
WWI game is exciting, but I wonder what fuckery will they sink to in order to avoid the fact that most soldiers are armed with bolt action rifles. Assault with Chauchat, Engineer with some SMG, heavy with a heavier MG, sniper obvious? Nihilus novus!

Also, whoever says that Battlefield isn't realistic about the random murderyness of war has clearly never played Battlefield before.

As for boredom...

Grave assigment simulator would be poignant for five minutes before people found a way to optimize it and start competing.

I think we can be super hyped for a WWI game that's not Western Front only. Regular folks probably don't even know Russia was fighting it.

Oh poo poo, now I want an RCW shooter with a branching campaign structure.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

MrMojok posted:

You have been shot by the Sergeant for cowardice. As you struggle to hold your entrails in, your fingers slippery with blood, vision narrowing down to a tunnel, then a pinpoint, you hear the Sergeant berate you for being a oval office not worthy of carrying the flag. As the innumerable boots of the next unit up on the line crunch your face and ribcage into formless jelly, your vision fades to black.

You know it wasn't really very likely that men would be shot out of hand for desertion or cowardice in WWI, right? 20,000 British soldiers were found guilty of capital crimes (which included desertion) in WWI. Of those, only a few thousand actually were sentenced to death, but only 306 deserters were executed in the entire war. It's not like dudes were getting shot left and right for not fighting. I think it's weird how WWI has such a reputation as "the bad war" in popular memory. Large-scale warfare isn't a great experience in any time period.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

xthetenth posted:

It's a joke about Wilson's The Thirty Years War which is something like 800 big pages and just doesn't fit in my hands well.

Though I joke of the valley of death it shall fear no evil, for it is at 80,000 feet and climbing.

It's p light in my hands on my tablet :sun:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Grenrow posted:

You know it wasn't really very likely that men would be shot out of hand for desertion or cowardice in WWI, right? 20,000 British soldiers were found guilty of capital crimes (which included desertion) in WWI. Of those, only a few thousand actually were sentenced to death, but only 306 deserters were executed in the entire war. It's not like dudes were getting shot left and right for not fighting. I think it's weird how WWI has such a reputation as "the bad war" in popular memory. Large-scale warfare isn't a great experience in any time period.

Plus if a dude hosed up that badly, he'd at least get a slightly biased court martial first before being executed. Dudes being shot on the spot with a pistol is more of a Russian Civil War thing.

You should get into the Warhammer 40k interactive text game market though!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Were there any summary executions by the British army during the war? I haven't heard of any, always assumed it was a trench rumour. Of their own men, I mean.

Edit:

I mean it's fairly simple to change that text so it works regardless. You're simply shot later on, or you survive and go back to the trenches (possibly via a court martial), and then you do it over and over again until you do die, or you survive all the way through and then it turns into "moments" except no one can look at you while your facial wounds are being reconstructed through diverting blood to your face with a tube made out of your own flesh.

lenoon fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 7, 2016

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Grenrow posted:

I think it's weird how WWI has such a reputation as "the bad war" in popular memory. Large-scale warfare isn't a great experience in any time period.

Couple of reasons for this, I think:

Narrative of it being a pointless slaughter established very very quickly (don't listen to revisionists saying it only happened in the 1980s!)

Citizen war - first conscript war in British history, so a much more universal experience. War is hell but it can be construed as less so when it's just soldiers fighting, a breed apart, not everyone.

The nature of the fighting was not completely unknown but brutal enough, grinding enough and innovative enough to be horrifying then and now. The deadlock, the slaughter, the horrendous loss of life concentrated in such a small area for gains that could be accurately described as "minuscule". The conditions of the trenches, the disregard for the private soldier showed by the ruling classes, the solidarity between soldiers, the gas, the tragedy, the tanks, the corpses on the wire, all of that. Wars before had been terrible, and since, but there's few battlefields in the history of the earth that rival the slaughter of the first day of the Somme, or the sustained brutality of Verdun. Bad fuckin war.

The art and poetry that came out of it. Modern life and culture created horrific public memory, from formal expressions of slaughter using established poetic forms (sorley a good example of this) to the destruction of the rules and laws of art and artistic expression (dada). It is, with rare exceptions, horror unbridled.

The changes in society - the so called peaceful summer of 1914 being shattered forever, Europe's self declared enlightened century being turned into a charnel house. The old order dying and leaving nothing except mountains of corpses.

And most importantly of all... It all had to be done again, bigger and more destructive, twenty years later. The war itself was horrifying, but "the war to end all wars" just heaps on the pathos and the tragedy.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grenrow posted:

What made WWI stick out in the popular subconscious so much as a horrifying war at the most basic level was that despite how many soldiers died, nothing really seemed to be achieved as in the span of twenty years Europe was once more gearing up for another major war. This of course ignores that in the western front any real progress was only made at the start and the end of the war, with the rest of the conflict just being the Allies and the Central powers just trading turns to throw wave after wave of men at each others trenches.

On a different note I saw a youtube video that draw a comparison between Alexander the Great and Hitler as both being horrifying dictators. Am I wrong in thinking that the best leader to compare Alexander to would be Napoleon due to both men creating an empire based on personal greed more then anything else and eventually stretching themselves too thin for their empire to be able to grow anymore.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

lenoon posted:

The art and poetry that came out of it. Modern life and culture created horrific public memory, from formal expressions of slaughter using established poetic forms (sorley a good example of this) to the destruction of the rules and laws of art and artistic expression (dada). It is, with rare exceptions, horror unbridled.

The trench war art of Otto Dix is incredibly chilling and worth looking at since we're on this subject. Compete opposite of those mostly staged or sketched from memory battlescape paintings of the previous century depicting warfare.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It wasn't the first conscript war in British history. Naplonic era had the navy taking people very much against their will.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Press-ganging a couple of thousand people and the militia bill is very different than the 1916 Military Service Act. Not just "you will be soldiers" but "as of March 3rd, you are all already soldiers".

We're not talking about a minority getting forced into the army or tricked into signing up or pressed into the navy but 2 million men stripped of their civilian lives and legally transferred to army control. It was the first conscription act, and the first conscript army Britain had ever seen.

Edit: worth saying that a conscript isn't someone forced into the army by hook or by crook, it's someone who is legally forced into the army either by law or by a "lawfully recognised" individual. In Britain that means it has only existed between 1916-1919 and 1938-60. Or 39 I forget when the national service act came in.

lenoon fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 7, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Grenrow posted:

I think it's weird how WWI has such a reputation as "the bad war" in popular memory. Large-scale warfare isn't a great experience in any time period.

Non-historian, but I think there's a few things at play here:
1) The at least perceived callousness of the generals who would throw away 20000 men to gain 100 yards of trenches.
2) The pointlessness of it all. Imagine a British soldier in the trenches of France who is told that that an Armistice is signed. Our Tommy goes home and hears about the Treaty of Versailles, in which Alsace-Lorraine is returned to the French and Germany loses its colonies and etc. I have to imagine there's a decent chance that his reaction is "I risked my life dozens of times, saw dozens of my mates die, and lived in a ditch for 2 years for THAT?" Even the silver lining that the war was so horrible was so horrible that no one would ever go to war again was proven wrong a mere 20 years later.
3) Recency. I'm not sure I'd say the war is in living memory anymore, if someone was 12 in 1918 they'd be 110 now, but there are millions of people still alive today whose parents were WW1 veterans and could see how that affected them first hand. In addition, by being so recent we have a massive of written accounts and even photographs. There has, of course, been a more recent war on an even larger scale in WW2, but if we loop back to 2 our Tommy or Ivan can go home knowing that they helped defeat the Nazis instead of simply another empire, not especially better than better or worse than any other.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'd probably thank Blackadder Goes Forth and other such media portrayals, really.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I've heard that WWI is remembered in Eastern Europe, not well, but not as badly as it is in Western. Opinions from anybody from that area?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think a better question might be how WW2 got a bit of a "good war" reputation. The wars before and after don't seem to have that good of a reputation (aside from the ones that pop culture tends to forget happened), but WW2's the one that everybody loves and makes movies and video games for. The people who were around for it have even been dubbed "the greatest generation" for being present for the last time major powers fought directly.

An incredible amount of people died, but since one of the losers was engaged in crimes against humanity on the side, that lets people form a narrative of justice in hindsight, even though that didn't factor into much of the contemporary reasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The war had a bag rep for all that stuff way before Ben Elton. You've got all my guys pointing it out in 1914, the war poets (Sassoon's counter attack comes out during the war), the art movement, major political parties calling out the callousness and waste of life and the punitive nature of Versailles, etc etc. It's arguable that the perception of the war as anything other than a pointless load of crap is the revisionist view - one articulated only in government sponsored histories (edit: or other similarly patriotic accounts) in the post war period. Blackadder goes forth drew on contemporary and immediate post-war sources - a series truer to the spirit of the Wipers Times it would be hard to imagine.

Edit: there's definitely a post-hoc construction of "the good war" narrative, but the struggle to fight fascism had been an ongoing "good fight" for many years. All you've got to do is look at the reaction of many First World War COs (in 1939 in the Houses of Parliament) to the immanent war against Germany - they supported the fight to smash fascism. It had already accrued all the trappings of "the good war" by the time it began. The revelations of just how bad the Nazis really were built on that, adding to a heavy dose of (struggling to think of the right word here) narrative justice? The peace loving peoples forced to fight by a viscous egomaniac, brought to the brink of destruction and then overcoming all obstacles to come good in the end? It's a ready made hero narrative!

lenoon fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 7, 2016

• Locked thread