Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

bloodychill posted:

It's so weird because it definitely wasn't always this way. I used to be heavily into PC gaming until 3-4 years ago when the current gen of consoles were starting to release. The community was mostly fine at the time.

It's not that things are getting worse. It's that you're getting older.

edit-- there is water at the bottom of the ocean

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I thought they were a cool fight actually. The music is really frantic and it plays into the fight's mechanics, which encourage you to go ham and kill the boss as fast as possible. Which fits the theme of the player in the Abyss being forced to prove they're "alive" or whatever.
I think the root of my problem is that if you go in with half decent preparations there's not much to the fight: you run in and hit them, and then keep doing that. Interesting mechanics (eg Pinwheel) or design (eg Gaping Dragon) could have made up for it, but there's just not much to the encounter beyond the gear check.

quote:

Dark Souls was a good game.
Absolutely.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The worst thing about the Four Kings is the walk BACK to the Four Kings.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fastball reproduced in the presence of wonder? The road that they walked on really was paved in gold.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'd rather have a VR version of the Big O cockpit

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I just learned that there are people who look for sources of Doom textures: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/85756-found-doom-sky-source-files/

It gets pretty abstract.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Palpek posted:

I just learned that there are people who look for sources of Doom textures: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/85756-found-doom-sky-source-files/

It gets pretty abstract.
When all you have is a state-of-the-art scanning system and a big pile of photography books, everything looks like a nail. Or something.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

I'd rather have a VR version of the Big O cockpit

This would be sick as hell

Like doing that ridiculous winding back circular rail punch thing

Virtual Reality Art-Deco Robot Smackdown

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Monkey Fracas posted:

gently caress, this would be extremely my poo poo. There needs to be more games with pile bunker powered punches.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mistle posted:

This article. :downsbravo:

A lot of devs and marketing that have a vested interest want Valve to shovel their poo poo; never mind that the article quotes Riot as a company that does good moderation--because the in-game is tied to forums and that making GBS threads in either affects both. Or am I wrong about that?

It's almost like there's a small cavalcade of people who think they can do a better job and will hate something regardless, and devs/marketing are obsessed with those people to the point of ignoring the general appeal.

Yes, This article is verly written good. "Riot's done a good job of this because, I believe, Riot genuinely believes that it's the right thing to do. Therein lies the rub; I don't think Valve caresRiot's done a good job of this because, I believe, Riot genuinely believes that it's the right thing to do. Therein lies the rub; I don't think Valve cares"

Like League is the best non toxic game community to talk about also. Friends and me figured out a way to not have teams surrender in LOL. It was pretty annoying to finally play a match where you wrecked people but it only lasts 20 minutes instead of those 1 hour losing games. We found out if you ask the other team to surrender because you have to go to church they will never surrender. We did it all days of the week, and no one would ever want us to show up on time for Pastor John!

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 7, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/askiisoft/status/728992285136932865

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Love Stole the Day posted:

I feel it's gotten more politicized in the past years. Random Internet weirdos have always been plentiful and awful but now they're organized.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cardboard Box A posted:

Welcome to the VRcade, master

So the Summer Lessons thing was practice for trapping an anime girl in a robot? :psyboom:

FactsAreUseless posted:

Fastball reproduced in the presence of wonder? The road that they walked on really was paved in gold.
Don't matter what I say, only what I do
If you're sad then it's time you spoke up too

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

working students gotta pay off that vr gear somehow

good hustle

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jon Do posted:

working students gotta pay off that vr gear somehow

good hustle
actually that woman is playing the wheelchair escape game and the guy playing tennis is going to burn :ohdear:

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

yeah, to be fair...

i would totally buy some vr gear if idiots would pay me to go through my apartment wearing it

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Tenzarin posted:

Yes, This article is verly written good. "Riot's done a good job of this because, I believe, Riot genuinely believes that it's the right thing to do. Therein lies the rub; I don't think Valve caresRiot's done a good job of this because, I believe, Riot genuinely believes that it's the right thing to do. Therein lies the rub; I don't think Valve cares"

Like League is the best non toxic game community to talk about also. Friends and me figured out a way to not have teams surrender in LOL. It was pretty annoying to finally play a match where you wrecked people but it only lasts 20 minutes instead of those 1 hour losing games. We found out if you ask the other team to surrender because you have to go to church they will never surrender. We did it all days of the week, and no one would ever want us to show up on time for Pastor John!

One secret trick that LOL players hate! Seriously though that is great and I'm going to have to remember that one.

Love Stole the Day posted:

There have always been terrible people on the internet but steam wasn't one of the nexuses where all these people organized to chat.

Guy Mann posted:

Right now the only good thing about the community is when you give a positive review to some tiny indie game and the devs personally comment to thank you :3:

But aside from that the only time I even bother to use their forums is to look for fixes with technical problems and it's almost always there so at least it's doing its job on that front.

That's a good point. It does work for community tech support and actually talking with small devs and that is really cool and a positive aspect of the whole thing. Yeah I dunno maybe I'm wrong and maybe in the same way tagging has cleaned up reviews, some simple organizing of the community sections could confine the ugliness to its own ghettos.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 7, 2016

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Anyone else playing Forza Apex? I'm having an awesome time with it! I've never played a Forza game before. I'm really enjoying how I can customize how hardcore I want to drive - if I'm feeling serious, I can turn off all the driving assists and struggle to just stay on the road, or I could relax and turn on traction control and just do some laps. Of course it'd be better with multiplayer, but I find racing games to be a lot of fun alone, just perfecting lap times. At least you can compare your scores with the leaderboards, where your score gets multiplied the fewer assists you use.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mistle posted:

This article. :downsbravo:

A lot of devs and marketing that have a vested interest want Valve to shovel their poo poo; never mind that the article quotes Riot as a company that does good moderation--because the in-game is tied to forums and that making GBS threads in either affects both. Or am I wrong about that?

It's almost like there's a small cavalcade of people who think they can do a better job and will hate something regardless, and devs/marketing are obsessed with those people to the point of ignoring the general appeal.

trying to compare a toxic community to something else and using loving LoL as the "good" example is probably the funniest thing you could possibly do. I played that garbage for maybe 2 years and it is without a doubt the largest game community of worthless human beings. the writer of that piece is broken brained.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I finished GoW Ghost of Sparta since it was free this month and these are actual lines spoken in the game:
'My god, what have I become?'
'Death, destroyer of worlds.'

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I finished GoW Ghost of Sparta since it was free this month and these are actual lines spoken in the game:
'My god, what have I become?'
'Death, destroyer of worlds.'
It's cool to finally see a game based on Indian mythology.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean I'm not exactly expecting much from the dialogue in a GoW game I'm just incredulous that someone actually sat down, wrote those two lines down together then went yup, that looks pretty good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

idk how VR stuff works but main issue I can imagine is that there isn't any actual thing you're holding on to when you do that stuff so there wouldn't be any physical feedback from doing something like this

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I beat DS3 last night and solo'd every boss... except the super secret boss. Had a couple people help on that one. Overall a ton of fun and the flaws are few. The one thing that frustrated me the most was that certain elevator switches that should have made certain parts of the game less frustrating in a QoL way just didn't work. This was especially annoying when repeating the twins boss fight.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I automatically send every lift back down before I get off it just in case now.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

Yep! I got in the habit of doing that every time.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the karaoke place i went to place night only had like two disney songs but it did have escape from the city (sonic adventure 2 OST)

FirstAidKite posted:

idk how VR stuff works but main issue I can imagine is that there isn't any actual thing you're holding on to when you do that stuff so there wouldn't be any physical feedback from doing something like this

this is one reason i don't think vr is going to be actually enjoyable for a while yet

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Looper posted:

the karaoke place i went to place night only had like two disney songs but it did have escape from the city (sonic adventure 2 OST)

Last time I went to a karaoke place they had Springtime for Hitler and when I did it a group walked out halfway through.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

FirstAidKite posted:

This is good but where's the money shot?

Guy Mann posted:

Last time I went to a karaoke place they had Springtime for Hitler and when I did it a group walked out halfway through.

Lol, holy poo poo :eyepop:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Looper posted:

this is one reason i don't think vr is going to be actually enjoyable for a while yet

The touch pads on VIVE have some interesting haptic feedback, they used the Steam controller stuff, they can click and buzz and trick your brain into thinking there's a little bit of resistance.

The best experience I've had yet is Job Simulator, and when you're flipping knobs and it clicks each time the knob passes a setting, it feels like you're clicking an actual radio knob.

Opening the fridge door, cracking an egg on a pan, cooking it and tossing it in a customer's face feels amazing.

The only problem is sometimes when you grab a door or something and pull on it, rather than move with you it sometimes lets go and you have to do it a couple times which feels a tiny bit frustrating, but its honestly no big deal and that's something they just need to sort out in software on the controls tracking so if you pull on a door it makes sure that you pull on it.

You'd be surprised by how easy it is to fool your brain into thinking its feeling something that it isn't. If you see a drawer, and you reach over and grab it and pull it and it pulls with you and you feel a slight vibration, it seems like resistance.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Palpek posted:

Of all the ones posted, the Gravis Ultrasound images are the only textures I don't recognize. Were they used in the games at all?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

lol if you haven't been doing this since Bloodborne.

Looper posted:

People don't want VR they want holodecks and holodecks are a totally different technology.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

8-Bit Scholar posted:

People don't want VR they want holodecks and holodecks are a totally different technology.

people apparently do want vr and it's baffling to me

how does anyone look at what you can play in vr so far and say "gently caress yeah sign me up" and spend $500-$1000 on it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

HMS Boromir posted:

people apparently do want vr and it's baffling to me

how does anyone look at what you can play in vr so far and say "gently caress yeah sign me up" and spend $500-$1000 on it

I might get the PS VR if its any good. I'll wait for reviews/consummers/suckers to talk about it first.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm enjoying the Overwatch beta/demo more than I thought I would. It's good stuff, and I think it helps that I'm familiar with TF2 but never got hardcore into it. All the Overwatch characters play differently enough that even small changes to a team's composition can make big changes, and the mode that randomizes your hero every death is a lot of fun. I have enough Amazon points that I can pre-order it without spending a dollar, and it looks more and more tempting after every match.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
What's a good comp headset? Me playing more than two hours at a time is pushing it, but I don't want to give myself some kind of brain aneurysm due to it being poo poo garbage. A bonus would be being able to use it on my office phone, or maybe xbox1, but I hardly play that ever.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mak0rz posted:

Of all the ones posted, the Gravis Ultrasound images are the only textures I don't recognize. Were they used in the games at all?
Yep:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I only just now got that the title Diddy Kong Quest is a play on words.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

axleblaze posted:

I only just now got that the title Diddy Kong Quest is a play on words.
I only realized recently that it wasn't Diddy Kong's Quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Started playing the remastered version of Darksiders 2 and it honest to god looks better than a lot of current gen games. Shame the main character looks like he's been designed by Todd McFarlane.

• Locked thread