Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Harik posted:

graduations, is limited to one parent attending, no siblings. So parents get to figure out which one shows up for the important moments in their kid's life.
So they don't have human blood running through them or what? Is there any even nominal explanation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm amazed the parents have gone along with it and not just, you know, shown up to graduation unless this school board is big enough fuckers that they'd cancel graduation in response.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FAUXTON posted:

USPOL May: You're Out Of Your loving Elephant, Donny

USPOL May: Dangerous Don rides the white elephant

USPOL May: Dynamite Don disembowels the elephant

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Don Danger and his Twitter Brigade!

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yup! Don't like it? Change the law. Organize. Campaign. Ours is a nation of freedom, a nation with rule of law. If you do not like regulations, you have the freedom to organize against them. In exchange for this freedom, respect our processes by gaming the system like everyone else. Get caught? Hire an attorney and follow the process.

I won't ever get caught because I am an affluent white male.

I'm much more concerned about the poor minorities that drug laws were designed to poo poo upon. Jury nullification is awesome if it helps even a single black teen caught with half an ounce of weed.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
About the graduation thing, my school gave out graduation tickets, and it was more than two. But the demographics of my school was 80% hispanic so parents brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles yeah it could get crowded at times.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My uni gave me four commencement tickets, and I had to pay an international student $30 to get a fifth so my brother could come since they didn't think about graduates having spouses and such

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
The problem with jury nullification is the alt right assholes who are advocating it's use in any rape case.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

max4me posted:

About the graduation thing, my school gave out graduation tickets, and it was more than two. But the demographics of my school was 80% hispanic so parents brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles yeah it could get crowded at times.
I guess in cases like that I can understand a max of two or three, but one?

Also from the wording of the original post I thought it was somehow connected to legal liability for something.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess in cases like that I can understand a max of two or three, but one?

Also from the wording of the original post I thought it was somehow connected to legal liability for something.

It's probably a fire code/insufficient facilities issue. The school is probably crowded significantly beyond its intended student capacity such that the gym or wherever they are holding graduation can't legally hold two guests per graduate.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore has been suspended for Ethics Violations for his urging Alabama Judges to disobey the Supreme Court ruling on Gay Marriage

This will be his second suspension and, possibly, his second removal from office.

Full text of the complaint: https://www.splcenter.org/sites/default/files/documents/coj46complaint.pdf

I saw this news this morning and goddamn I am so happy that poo poo bag is getting kicked out again. Hopefully it sticks this time and the dumbasses in this state don't re-elect him as soon as he is eligible again....like last time.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LunarShadow posted:

I saw this news this morning and goddamn I am so happy that poo poo bag is getting kicked out again. Hopefully it sticks this time and the dumbasses in this state don't re-elect him as soon as he is eligible again....like last time.

It's friggin Alabama, what do you think is going to happen?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Samurai Sanders posted:

So they don't have human blood running through them or what? Is there any even nominal explanation?

Since it's a district wide policy, my wife wrote a polite email to the board of education asking for an explanation.

They didn't bother responding, they forwarded it to our principal with a curt "Take care of this". Our principal wrote a butt-hurt "You should have contacted me with any concerns" reply. At no point did anyone address any of the questions asked. From other channels we've heard that someone (no names were given) is literally scared of their own shadow, so these idiotic policies are to be seen as "doing something".

Some events aren't actually a one-parent rule, they just become so due to the hard-line "no siblings" policy. If you aren't Chinese with a single kid, someone has to stay with the other kids and someone gets to go. That's actually even worse for families because now theres "It's your fault Dad couldn't come to my concert!" poo poo as well. Not to mention daytime events when mom has an infant - I have to take off work to take care of an infant barely able to crawl so Mom can attend. You know the rash of school murders caused by pre-toddlers coming to luncheons, right? Terrible things. Add to the more common policies against non-store foods and suddenly once-popular events like the thanksgiving lunch are either canceled or full of kids crying because their parents didn't show up.

It all happened this last year, and I hope that in November I can get enough parents mad enough to kick out the board and return to the previous (sane) policies.

Again - it's a single district issue, I posted about general problems with state-run education. I keep writing :words: about it because it pisses me off so much. It's not even golden remembrance of my own school years, it's having an attention-span longer than a goldfish and remembering last loving year.

More on-topic, all politics are truly local, and this kind of poo poo can have long-lasting impact. You make kids hate school and they do badly and oh well there goes most of their lifetime earning potential. It's also a great counter point to rjadasdbnmap's poo poo about educating out of bigotry - These are the idiots running education into the ground. We can talk about banning homeschool and religious reinforcement "schools" a long time after school board powers are reduced to deciding the theme for prom and the printer for the yearbook.

Edit: forgot to address this

Jazerus posted:

It's probably a fire code/insufficient facilities issue. The school is probably crowded significantly beyond its intended student capacity such that the gym or wherever they are holding graduation can't legally hold two guests per graduate.

I wish. It's depressing graduating in front of a mostly empty room. It's strictly some imaginary "liability" issue that apparently only our district has, and hopefully will no longer have next school year. Sucks for everyone graduating this year though.

Harik fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 7, 2016

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

fits my needs posted:

It's friggin Alabama, what do you think is going to happen?

It could actually go either way depending. Lord knows Montgomery, Birmingham and Huntsville are gonna have folk turn up in droves to keep his rear end out if the demographics continue to shift like they are. If he gets thrown out he has to wait a couple years to be eligible agai. Also kinda hoping he gets disbarred for this poo poo.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I really have no idea what you mean by "liability", but I guess you don't either.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Days since GOP talked about Rape: 4

http://goprapeadvisorychart.com/

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
They really can't help themselves, can they.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.
A little off topic but I had to post this one: Ivy League economist ethnically profiled, interrogated for doing math on American Airlines flight. This happened to an acquaintance of mine yesterday. Amazing he was so calm about it, I would be royally pissed off.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Florida Man Accidentally Shoots Himself During Job Interview At Elementary School

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Oakland Martini posted:

A little off topic but I had to post this one: Ivy League economist ethnically profiled, interrogated for doing math on American Airlines flight. This happened to an acquaintance of mine yesterday. Amazing he was so calm about it, I would be royally pissed off.

To be fair Ivy League economists have done more damage to the United States than any terrorist organization.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jazerus posted:

In many big universities, it gets to the point that there are multiple days for graduation, often one all-students initial ceremony in the biggest venue on campus with limited attendance, and then the next days the individual divisions of the school (engineering, arts, whatever) take over various venues on cmapus for the real graduation ceremony with diplomas and all.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Ummm...
Wisconsin Supreme Court Rules Cops No Longer Need a Warrant to Enter Homes and Seize Evidence

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

theflyingorc posted:

Bush/Gore stuff only matters is there's half a chance a recount would do anything

Also after Bush v Gore a lot of states clarified their recount procedures and now we have Senator Franken.

I don't know if Florida or Ohio clarified their rules because they are shitholes run by assholes, but a boy can dream.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yeah, that's gonna get appealed and fall like a house of cards.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

LOL Wisconsin.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

In an 8-0 decision, the Supreme Court told Wisconsin lol try again.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

GalacticAcid posted:

To be fair Ivy League economists have done more damage to the United States than any terrorist organization.

I do neoclassical macro, DSGE models, etc. and I don't live in the U.S. I'm lucky I haven't been droned yet...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Hillary: Still planning on snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/728799703811428352

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

No, abuela... :cripes:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Eh, it's an okay burn, if it's just a one-off, and they don't try to force a nationwide meme like they did with "Dangerous Donald".

The only thing wrong with it is it can just as easily be turned on her.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
ABC Writes Poor Headline Based On Obvious Joke

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Well, I'm convinced, voting Trump now, nice knowing you guys. :suicide:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

ComradeCosmobot posted:

So very bad at this. Always bad. :sad:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

MariusLecter posted:

Well, I'm convinced, voting Trump now, nice knowing you guys. :suicide:

They couldn't stop with just the hair and eyes, they had to go full racist caricature with the buck teeth.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

So literally every time she cracks a bad mom joke about Trump someone is going to run a clickbait article about Clinton trying to "nickname" him and this thread will get fifty posts whining about the Dems messaging capabilities.

Gonna be a boring six months.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Litany Unheard posted:

So literally every time she cracks a bad mom joke about Trump someone is going to run a clickbait article about Clinton trying to "nickname" him and this thread will get fifty posts whining about the Dems messaging capabilities.

Just wait till she gets put in prison for something!

Then who will be laughing. :smuggo:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Litany Unheard posted:

Just wait until the 'nicknamegate' hearings.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Litany Unheard posted:

Trump is really good at dirty messaging and if Hilldawg tries to smack him with that he will wreck her.

How long until he refers to the "coronation" and her being "crowned" president? "Her Highness" has a nice trump ring.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mr Hootington posted:

Trump is really good at dirty messaging and if Hilldawg tries to smack him with that he will wreck her.

How long until he refers to the "coronation" and her being "crowned" president? "Her Highness" has a nice trump ring.

Thats far more contrived and stupid than any corny nickname Hillarys come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx
You all can't seriously think Dangerous Donald or even Presumptuous Nominee are aimed at Millennials. Hillary's messaging is aimed at people who actually loving vote, like suburban moms and poo poo who don't give a gently caress what slate or gawker think about it. Seriously, Millennial prognostications and hand-wringing over the messaging they barely understand is going to make this election the loving worst.

• Locked thread