Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Double vision is so great with the magic lamp as you just crush bosses with your army of hulked-out muscle genies punching the poo poo out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Digirat posted:

Double vision is so great with the magic lamp as you just crush bosses with your army of hulked-out muscle genies punching the poo poo out of them.

Actually, an army of tigers appearing out of nowhere is more satisfying.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jibo posted:

Magic Lamp and Bait Launcher both work on Dragun. I'm guessing the Compressed Air Tank doesn't work because it has to travel along the ground and he exists over a pit.

I've had a few runs where that's my only good gun too. :(

I had Fat Bullets too, which I put entirely too much faith in after my megasharks destroyed the poo poo out of the kill pillars.

(At least that run wasn't all for naught, after never getting wax wings or jetpack on a pilot run I finally got the gunpowder to finish the bullet that can kill the past by loving up on the minecart jumps like 25 times before getting it after getting a Siren from the Trigger Twins)

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I've only managed to get the bait gun with shadow bullets before but I imagine any of those weapons would get pretty nuts if you hit up the Pop Pop shrine a few times.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Zorodius posted:

If you're a real rear end in a top hat, I mean a total plonker, a pencil-lipped, butter-dipped, shoes-untied poltroon, here's what you can do:

You can juggle an extra active item back to sell at the shop by repeatedly swapping it with one on the ground. It takes some effort, especially getting around doors, but that's how you get your 31 shell casings, and really stick it to that rat.

You actually don't need to do the juggling thing. The rat only steals an item when you're not in the room. Take one to the door you want to go through and drop it, go pick up the other and carry it through, drop it quickly on the other side, go pick up the first and rush back in case the rat showed up, repeat. You should have enough time for most short halls, but longer halls might prove to be an issue.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You can min-max your ammo drops for weapons that aren't empty yet by not picking up an ammo drop and going one room back, then re-enter the ammo drop room and scaring the rat that appears away.

If you scared it off the ammo once, it won't appear until you are two rooms or more away. So now you can clear out the adjacent uncleared rooms with your near-empty gun and afterwards pick up the ammo that dropped.

(nerd)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Digirat posted:

Double vision is so great

Fixed for you.

It's way too good an item for something so cheap.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

HenryEx posted:

You can min-max your ammo drops for weapons that aren't empty yet by not picking up an ammo drop and going one room back, then re-enter the ammo drop room and scaring the rat that appears away.

If you scared it off the ammo once, it won't appear until you are two rooms or more away. So now you can clear out the adjacent uncleared rooms with your near-empty gun and afterwards pick up the ammo that dropped.

(nerd)

you know, for railgun ammo, it's probably worth it

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Carecat posted:

Patch Notes
Fixed a bug where holding an infinite ammo gun when the last enemy in a room is killed prevented normal ammo crates from spawning
Water drums will now always spawn in the <REDACTED> room if you've used them before
Sticky crossbow bolts will no longer damage players when detonated
Enemies now immediately drop currency when transmogrified
Orbital items will no longer shoot <REDACTED> (secret character unlock)
Improved performance of the Pilot's past considerably
Fixed a dungeon generation bug where short hallways could intersect with other rooms
Fixed a bug where transitioning levels while in a conversation would break player movement (e.g. boss rush elevator)
Updated input code handling in an effort to resolve multiple controller bugs
Added the option to display an aim cursor while using a controller
Coolness's cooldown reduction is now capped at 50%
Fixed an exploit where some guns could be fired extremely quickly by switching weapons between shots (e.g. the sword Blashphemy)
Killing mimics in reward rooms no longer has a chance to spawn room clear rewards
The balloon can no longer attach to dogs or other companions
Improved one method of traversing the giant pit in the fourth Chamber
Improved bee performance
The end-of-floor elevator will now come even if the player is stealthed
Discount items will now work correctly when acquired by the coop player
Changing items while using the grappling hook no longer breaks player movement
The Dog item is no longer invisible when popping out of chests
Added a faster uniform scaling graphics option (Fast Scaling)
Fixed a visual bug with the Lost Adventurer's movement
Fixed a text issue which displayed "%META_CURRENCY" in some languages
Fixed a bug which could cause the pause menu to display incorrectly when returning to the Breach
Fixed multiple bugs caused by dying while inside a minecart
Fixed a visual bug which could cause the Bullet King to show up as two thrones
Fixed a problem with the Shopkeeper's dialogue when players enter/leave the shop
Fixed a typo in the Ammonomicon for the BSG
Fixed a bug where the Gunsling King could keep adding icons to your minimap
Glitch chests can no longer spawn in the tutorial
Players can no longer open the gun select menu while the full map is shown
Fixed an issue where specific combinations of guns could double all gun capacity
I believe the cd reduction was already in, in some capacity. I abused blood amulet? and the respawning pieces of poo poo to mash cigarettes a hundred times and it never seemed to improve beyond 50% or so cdr that much.

Ice cube + good passive is broken as gently caress though, I know double vision recharges faster than you can use it with 0 cigarette uses.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Digirat posted:

Try to get scattershot with the magic lamp

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Today I finally managed to kill the Dragun first the first time and also kill the past for the Marine. Thank you, my trusty Patriot that killed the Dragun's first phase in 500 rounds, and thank you for your service to our country, The Boss. :911:

Papal Infallibility
May 7, 2008

Stay Down Champion Stay Down
The new patch is great, I was getting somewhat discouraged but now that I know how to get ammo to drop I don't have to bother with the starter gun past the second chamber, really. Two Dragun kills in one day, though that's because Proton Pack/Eyepatch/Shock Rounds and Muscle Relaxant/AWP are preposterously deadly combos. Just have do the Pilot and Convict pasts, then Bullet Hell.

Any advice for doing the shortcuts beyond just saving everything coin and key you get, selling what you can do without and just assuming that run is pretty much hosed?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Papal Infallibility posted:

The new patch is great, I was getting somewhat discouraged but now that I know how to get ammo to drop I don't have to bother with the starter gun past the second chamber, really. Two Dragun kills in one day, though that's because Proton Pack/Eyepatch/Shock Rounds and Muscle Relaxant/AWP are preposterously deadly combos. Just have do the Pilot and Convict pasts, then Bullet Hell.

Any advice for doing the shortcuts beyond just saving everything coin and key you get, selling what you can do without and just assuming that run is pretty much hosed?

Stack up Curse. The Jammed enemies drop more money, more money = more keys you can buy.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Also play as as the pilot and try to lockpick the entrance to the secret level.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Stack up Curse. The Jammed enemies drop more money, more money = more keys you can buy.

Yeah just play pilot and pray to the starting shrine. Enjoy taking 20 min to clear a room though with his garbage gun.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I seem to have hit a brick wall on this game (almost literally, one of the problems is Wallmonger). I've died 120 times now and I find it practically impossible to make it past the floor 4 bosses, I find I get drained of all my health and ammo in the hollow and come up against them in the worst shape. For the few times when I've been able to get a good reserve of hearts and ammo they all just loving wreck my poo poo.

To the people who are cheating themselves extra keys and/or ammo, did that dramatically help you get over this hump?

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 7, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

khwarezm posted:

I seem to have fit a brick wall on this game (almost literally, one of the problems is Wallmonger). I've died 120 times now and I find it practically impossible to make it past the floor 4 bosses, I find I get drained of all my health and ammo in the hollow and come up against them in the worst shape. For the few times when I've been able to get a good reserve of hearts and ammo they all just loving wreck my poo poo.

To the people who are cheating themselves extra keys and/or ammo, did that dramatically help you get over this hump?

Cheating in keys is great because it builds your arsenal and lets you save money for hearts and shields if you need to beef them out.

That said, Wallmonger is far and away the easiest of the Floor 4 bosses. Stick to one side of the area, all its big attacks can be rolled over and you'll rarely be so pinched that you need to fire off a Blank. If you get the High Priest or the Kill Pillars, well, good fuckin luck.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I can beat the high priest without taking damage but kill pillars is too much chaos and when they jump at you I will always take damage unless I have an invincibility item

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

khwarezm posted:

I seem to have hit a brick wall on this game (almost literally, one of the problems is Wallmonger). I've died 120 times now and I find it practically impossible to make it past the floor 4 bosses, I find I get drained of all my health and ammo in the hollow and come up against them in the worst shape. For the few times when I've been able to get a good reserve of hearts and ammo they all just loving wreck my poo poo.

Especially coupled with the ammo bug, the advice of using your starter into level three or swapping to it to kill small guys is what held me back.

Use powerful guns, don't save them. Especially on small rooms and bosses. My first winning run was with a sniper rifle with the muscle relaxant which turns it into a one shot gun on pretty much everything and being able to shut down even lowly shotgun kin in a single shot is a much better survival tactic than any amount of dodging.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

No I want the game to be worth the money I paid for it.

Do you want some cheese with that whine?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

Do you want some cheese with that whine?
QorQonzola

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
sling owns

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Sigma-X posted:

Especially coupled with the ammo bug, the advice of using your starter into level three or swapping to it to kill small guys is what held me back.

Use powerful guns, don't save them. Especially on small rooms and bosses. My first winning run was with a sniper rifle with the muscle relaxant which turns it into a one shot gun on pretty much everything and being able to shut down even lowly shotgun kin in a single shot is a much better survival tactic than any amount of dodging.

Muscle Relaxant is one of the best passives in the game, especially if you can luck into getting multiple guns that get the damage boost.

Even without muscle relaxant, Sniper Rifle is a great room clearer - instant projectiles and limited piercing means you can clear most of a floor quickly and painlessly; Hexagun is even better since even without any upgrades you've still got a decent chance on ANYTHING being an effective one-shot kill.

I generally categorize weapons as "Good Boss Killers", "Good Room Clearers", and "Other", and try and make sure that I keep at least one boss killer and one room clearer topped up with ammo. I'll use "Other" weapons frequently to save on ammo for the good room clearers, and don't use good room clearers on bosses or good boss killers clearing rooms - I'll switch to the starter weapon if I have to.

You might classify stuff differently, but this generally keeps me in good standing ammo-wise through the Dragun. I haven't been making attempts on Bullet Hell yet, though.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Probably the best two Room Clearers in the game are the Mega Hand and the BSG. BSG is insanely quick and painless, and the Mega Hand will get you through two entire floors without needing an ammo drop, it's insanely efficient.

Good Boss Killers are usually Bees and Explosives (cancel enemy bullets), or both in The Stinger.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Probably the best two Room Clearers in the game are the Mega Hand and the BSG. BSG is insanely quick and painless, and the Mega Hand will get you through two entire floors without needing an ammo drop, it's insanely efficient.

Good Boss Killers are usually Bees and Explosives (cancel enemy bullets), or both in The Stinger.

AU Gun and the RC Rocket are right behind Stinger for boss killers imo

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Olesh posted:

Muscle Relaxant is one of the best passives in the game, especially if you can luck into getting multiple guns that get the damage boost.

My most recent run I got muscle relaxant on the first floor and proceeded to get the sniper rifle, AWP, and winchester rifle, plus the unity ring and a handful of other guns, plus a shrine where i turned 1 heart into a damage boost, plus a D20 shrine that gave me haste, and wax wings. That was a hella fun run, had absolutely no trouble with bullet hell and took out the lich fast enough i don't even know what his patterns are.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Power of Pecota posted:

AU Gun and the RC Rocket are right behind Stinger for boss killers imo

RC Rocket is okay, but shoots up into S++ boss killing tier as soon as you get Angry Bullets on the same run.
It's hilarious. It needs to be seen to be believed.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
My first encounter with the Old King did not go so well. But that was a fun run, actually making it to the Abbey.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Zodack posted:

My first encounter with the Old King did not go so well. But that was a fun run, actually making it to the Abbey.

Yeah, he got me too when I got him down to like 10% health :saddowns:

Is it definitely meant to be the case that like half the enemies in the abbey are cursed?

Sigma-X posted:

Funny, I took on that advice pretty early, but I still find myself running low on ammo at really bad times.

On the flipside I was going through the Gungeon Proper with a Magnum and the game deigned it fit to give an ammo drop every second room. Not in the Hollow though!

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 8, 2016

Papal Infallibility
May 7, 2008

Stay Down Champion Stay Down

HenryEx posted:

I'd like to go ahead and recommend Heroine as well. The clip size is considerably worse than Mega Hand but at full charge it hits very hard, charges faster and has a larger shot to go with it. Ironically it was during my "gently caress it lets give elevator guy his poo poo" run that the game coughed up that and Alpha Bullets (and Gun Soul, which I'm pretty sure was designed specifically to be exploited) which completely salvaged it.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Papal Infallibility posted:

I'd like to go ahead and recommend Heroine as well. The clip size is considerably worse than Mega Hand but at full charge it hits very hard, charges faster and has a larger shot to go with it. Ironically it was during my "gently caress it lets give elevator guy his poo poo" run that the game coughed up that and Alpha Bullets (and Gun Soul, which I'm pretty sure was designed specifically to be exploited) which completely salvaged it.

Yeah I was going to say this more or less. Megahand only one shots people for the first couple of floors unless you get a damage up. Heroine will oneshot people for most of the game, especially if you get a damage up.

They are both really great though. Just be careful with duct tape.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I like to buy an extra blank or two on the fourth floor if I've got any spare money, on the expectation that I'll very rarely flawless the fourth floor boss normally but can frequently do it with 3-4 blanks to make easier.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Getting the hang of switching weapons makes a big difference with ammo management. You can hold down hold down the gun select button and the game slows down to let you scroll through your guns, and if you tap the gun select button it'll switch between the last two guns you've selected. A lot of people make the mistake of using only one gun at a time. If you use your best gun for the start of every room and switch to a weaker gun once you've got down to fewer weaker enemies you can basically use your best gun for all the hard parts but make the ammo go way further and also get use out of the ammo for the shittier guns you've got that might otherwise get thrown in a gun muncher at full ammo. Or switch between a status effect weapon and a clean up weapon or an aoe weapon and a clean up weapon.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Blanks only slightly help my ability to nohit bosses. Usually I get hit because I messed up dodging a pattern that I thought I could dodge, and blanks only help if you know in advance that you would get hit.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Holy poo poo, heavy bullets and the anvil gun I almost one-shot all four Kill Pillars with the first, very very slow, anvil.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Blanks only slightly help my ability to nohit bosses. Usually I get hit because I messed up dodging a pattern that I thought I could dodge, and blanks only help if you know in advance that you would get hit.
Yeah blanks are like shmup bombs for me where I always die with a full complement because I see a pattern and think NAH DAWG I GOT THIS poo poo then proceed to instantly whiff it and get wrecked

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

The combo of BSG + Backup Gun allowing me to clear floor 5 without taking any damage along with The Emperor doing work on the Dragun just got me my first past kill :toot:

If anyone else is at the level of regularly getting to the 4th floor boss but having runs end either there, the 5th floor, or the Dragun fight I really recommend the Convict, I've consistently had my best runs with her. I'm guessing it has to be the DPS boost from the photo, since the Molotov/Sawed Off lose effectiveness fairly early on and I'm not convinced the budget revolver is better than the rusty one the Hunter starts with.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I like the Convict because her bright color makes it easy for me to keep track of myself without having to look at my character, but having said that, she's now the last one I have to get a past kill with.

Pilot's past is wicked awesome BTW.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I just had a run die to the Dragun because the only guns I had were a pretty much empty Siren and Betrayer's Shield, and the generally useless Alien Engine. Had three pieces of junk despite buying every available key and getting the Ballot halfway through level one. Ran out of ammo of course. Game is still way, way too random. There needs to be another guaranteed key per floor and/or more guaranteed gun/ammo drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

K8.0 posted:

I just had a run die to the Dragun because the only guns I had were a pretty much empty Siren and Betrayer's Shield, and the generally useless Alien Engine. Had three pieces of junk despite buying every available key and getting the Ballot halfway through level one. Ran out of ammo of course. Game is still way, way too random. There needs to be another guaranteed key per floor and/or more guaranteed gun/ammo drops.

You're not wrong about the randomness but you are incredibly wrong about the alien engine. It ruins the dragun.