Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

I don't think safety training made or broke the evacuation effort, but my guess is that people who have jobs where they're frequently/always in some degree of danger probably reacted better than those who don't, because making good (and quick) decisions in the face of danger is not a naturally-occurring skill.

Still, doubt this because really, proper emergency services made more of a difference as well as evacuation orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CommieGIR posted:

Still, doubt this because really, proper emergency services made more of a difference as well as evacuation orders.

I don't think it's an either/or proposition. But you are correct that evacuation orders and emergency services probably did more than any job skills did.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

ocrumsprug posted:

I appreciate the residents of Fort M need something to brighten their day, but nobodies afternoon fire extinguisher training helped here. The true villain here was Notley for not just throwing thirty million dollars at it and just putting it out. I know this as I am also highly trained in fire fighting.

What, if anything, was the actual effect of the cuts implemented in the provincial budget? Considering how the fire was started in a place that was already so close to the town in the first place, I am having difficulty imagining a scenario where town evacuation and massive property damage aren't inevitable. Even the town residents were only aware of the scale of the problem for two hours before evac.

Can you even use water bombers over civilized areas? My rough recollection from watching TVO Kids ages ago is getting caught under a water bomber in use is enough to drown someone.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTlGFsP4JeQ

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

I'm surprised an iPhone recorded that long, mine dies as soon as the temperature breaks the 0c-20c range

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Morroque posted:

What, if anything, was the actual effect of the cuts implemented in the provincial budget? Considering how the fire was started in a place that was already so close to the town in the first place, I am having difficulty imagining a scenario where town evacuation and massive property damage aren't inevitable. Even the town residents were only aware of the scale of the problem for two hours before evac.

Can you even use water bombers over civilized areas? My rough recollection from watching TVO Kids ages ago is getting caught under a water bomber in use is enough to drown someone.

Zero. There is no juristiction that looks at a fire that is about the destroy the main economic driver of that juristiction and goes, "Welp, this isn't in the budget."

It is just HAL dropping a turd in the thread again. It is harder to tell since he lost access to the CPC Shitpost 2000 when they lost power, and he is surprisingly able to write like a human being. Who knew.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hope those $33 Million dollar cuts to fire fighting was wort it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

I'm surprised an iPhone recorded that long, mine dies as soon as the temperature breaks the 0c-20c range

It was recorded by a web enabled security camera and they watched the playback on their iPhone.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

McGavin posted:

It was recorded by a web enabled security camera and they watched the playback on their iPhone.

I'm surprised all the tech needed for recording and transmission to occur lasted that long, to be honest.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Just because they decreased a line item on fire fighting in the budget doesn't mean it would affect how they handle a large wildfire adjacent to a city. Do you actually think they were going to put it out but then got a call from the Premier who said that there was no money so they just packed up the town instead?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Even my Dad, who makes me look like a commie by comparison agrees there's nothing Notley could've done.

Geoid
Oct 18, 2005
Just Add Water
Complaints about Notley are a great litmus test for finding out who knows absolutely nothing about forest management and hazard mitigation.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

PT6A posted:

I don't think safety training made or broke the evacuation effort, but my guess is that people who have jobs where they're frequently/always in some degree of danger probably reacted better than those who don't, because making good (and quick) decisions in the face of danger is not a naturally-occurring skill.

I think that's a valid point. Also, wildfires are a normal part of life in the Canadian interior. Cities plan for it the same way some places plan for earthquakes. (poo poo, I should really get my earthquake bug-out bag together before Vancouver Island falls into the Pacific.)

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 7, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Maybe in a few years I can spend my 40s supplementing my GMI by working on crews clearing all the scrub that's accumulated on the forest floors of this country over the past 50 years of lovely short sighted fire management policy.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Ikantski posted:

It's so wasteful for rural towns to not just be a giant condo building next to a giant cubicle building. Buncha rubes.
Unironically agree with this in real life.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
ITT: people unironically suggesting a long decried feature of the USSR might have had merit.

Let's starve Saskatchewan while we're at it, eh comrades?

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Rime posted:

ITT: people unironically suggesting a long decried feature of the USSR might have had merit.

Unironically agree with this in real life.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Rime posted:

Sometimes you have to crack a few eggs, comrade.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Rime posted:

The death of one is a tragedy. The death of Saskatchewan is a public service. - Tommy Douglas

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Hope those $33 Million dollar cuts to fire fighting was wort it.

that doesn't happen until august

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Saw this today.

By the way, keeping on the dark comedy train, has anyone complained about the people leaving Fort Mac being "firefighting-aged males" yet? Because if there are going to be memes about how Trudeau cares more about Syrian refugees than Canadians, firefighting-aged males should be A Thing.

It's funny how people compare the two situations, considering federal response to Fort McMurray came within hours of the evacuation, while it took nearly half a decade before anything significant was done about the victims of the civil war in Syria, which started before daesh was even around.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I saw some stuff about Syrians, Africans, and Haitians coming to the aid of Canada since we helped them lol

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Professor Shark posted:

I saw some stuff about Syrians, Africans, and Haitians coming to the aid of Canada since we helped them lol

Do you have any links to the Haitian and African stuff, if true? Or was that a joke like, "oh they should help now, the ingrates" kind of thing you saw? I saw the stuff about Syrian refugees in Calgary gathering donations earlier this week.

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl
Everyone complaining about Notley cutting spending but they want smaller government don't want to pay taxes or getting into debt is the stupid joke of it all. With the frequency of fires you would think the fire budget would be a fixed or increasing part of the spending though.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Leofish posted:

Saw this today.

I know it's always been a thing and it should be no surprise, but the sheer quantity of pick-ups in every photos of Ft. McMurray is endlessly entertaining to me.

Terex
Jan 2, 2013
Apparently the MP from Fort Mac tried to get through the RCMP blockade to check on his house.

https://twitter.com/evandyercbc/status/729076707487948800

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I<3oilsands

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The only political points to be scored off this tragedy are my political points - Fort Mac Resident Probably

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I <3 oil sands is so weird. it's the worst subset of an already questionable industry. It's as ridiculous as a forestry worker with "I <3 clear cutting" , or a farmer with "I <3 mono-cropping", or a fisherman saying "I <3 fish farms".

oil people are strange

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I <3 accidental dolphin meat

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Terex posted:

Apparently the MP from Fort Mac tried to get through the RCMP blockade to check on his house.

https://twitter.com/evandyercbc/status/729076707487948800

:psyduck: I mean, I understand pandering to your base, but holy crap that's really absurd.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

never happy posted:

I <3 oil sands is so weird. it's the worst subset of an already questionable industry. It's as ridiculous as a forestry worker with "I <3 clear cutting" , or a farmer with "I <3 mono-cropping", or a fisherman saying "I <3 fish farms".

oil people are strange

Wow this is no time to get political, don't you see there are people going through a tragedy? Everything in Alberta is made of gold until, like, 6 - 8 months from now at least.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Lassitude posted:

Wow this is no time to get political, don't you see there are people going through a tragedy? Everything in Alberta is made of gold until, like, 6 - 8 months from now at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6QdY6YDfj0&t=26s

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I <3 BC Film

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

I guess hate and heart are pretty close

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

imo this is the real tragedy of the wild fires. all those mines are nowhere near the flames

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Lassitude posted:

A number of my family members and people on facebook are having a really hard time with the notion that this has something to do with climate change. I've seen a lot of "gently caress these environmentalist guys and their priuses" type commentary, as well as some stuff like "those so-called big bad oil companies did more for us in this situation than the government, the oil industry can do no wrong blah blah blah..."

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Remember when a trainload of their oil blew up a town killing 60 people and they were all, "if oil had pipeline this not happen"

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Gorewar posted:

A number of my family members and people on facebook are having a really hard time with the notion that this has something to do with climate change. I've seen a lot of "gently caress these environmentalist guys and their priuses" type commentary, as well as some stuff like "those so-called big bad oil companies did more for us in this situation than the government, the oil industry can do no wrong blah blah blah..."

see, why would anyone feel sympathy for people like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Hal_2005 posted:

About 80% of Fort Mac is burned. The entire KM2 of burned losses would equal the entire city of Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, or Ottawa. Gross claims on Civil / Commercial property will tally about 3b, lump in another 2b for claims. Had Notley/Prentice decided to keep 30mm in the budget for the fire crews this all could have been shut down in about 2 days with a couple of backhoes and 2 water bombers.

edit: Oddly enough, I agree with /pol. When a friend of mine ran a bar up there, every person on staff down to the line cooks had WHMIS and Fire training. During the summers, most would night-shift and they would work on Horizon or Aurora 2. I can't say the same for your average Laval or St. John's NFLD bedroom community of equal sq. KM.

are you like the dumbest person in finance? how do you even make money with a religious adherence to stupid ideology like that? that would explain why you can only get work in calgary instead of some place where you can actually make real money like nyc, london or conneticut