Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Hidden Information Found In HTML Source Code of NVIDIA’s GTX 1080 Page lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey sorry if this is a stupid question but I wasn't able to watch the press event and just getting caught up.

Did they actually describe the metrics of what "relative performance" is? Or give any real FPS (even benchmark) numbers? "Relative" sounds really nebulous.. like it could be using $$ as a factor or something which could be reasonable to use, but if for example performance is really not all that much higher but costs "relatively" less, could really skew a comparison graph.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

slidebite posted:

Hey sorry if this is a stupid question but I wasn't able to watch the press event and just getting caught up.

Did they actually describe the metrics of what "relative performance" is? Or give any real FPS (even benchmark) numbers? "Relative" sounds really nebulous.. like it could be using $$ as a factor or something which could be reasonable to use, but if for example performance is really not all that much higher but costs "relatively" less, could really skew a comparison graph.

The "relative performance" numbers seem to be based on (synthetic) VR benchmarking. The game performance graph on the product page (which someone grabbed some raw numbers from and the game settings in that link I just posted) seems slightly more concrete.

quote:

The “Up to 3x performance” originally had a disclaimer that it was “based on test results in graphics intensive VR gaming applications”. This disclaimer was commented out

quote:

The graph that compares the GTX 980 to the 1080 in the ‘performance’ tab doesn’t display exact numbers, meaning most readers are forced to estimate the values. I opened up the inspect element to view the width in pixels of the chart bars, and used simple math to determine the percentage difference. The GTX 1080 performs 70% better in Witcher 3 and 80% better at Rise of the Tomb Raider than the GTX 980, according to the benchmark. These benchmarks were conducted at max settings @ 2560×1600, according to a comment in the source.

Until we see real benchmarks conducted by another party, I'm going to assume the above is the closest thing to reality right now

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

slidebite posted:

See Fozzy's post above you, but by all accounts they (reasonably, I should add) showed a huge performance increase for ultra-high res and/or VR settings, but didn't say as much about 1080p/4K. By the hardware specs alone I'd guess it's on the order of 35-70% faster for what most people are doing (1080p/1440p/4K). Wait till Anandtech or somesuch tester gets it for your target game, cause all yesterday really showed was 1) it's faster 2) better perf/watt and 3) pricepoints. Of course the caveat on (3) is that until it transitions from paper to hard launch they could be really pricey - if they drop just a trickle of 'Founder's' tier cards by mid-June they could spike into the 800-900 space.

e: VVV Same, but I'm most anxious to see how it does in the mixed GPU vendor tests like Ashes. There's a perf hit in DX12 multiGPU (as well as just SLI alone) using nV cards vs. Fiji alone or CrossFire'd Fiji - if they resolved that with improved async I finally get to fulfill my dream of having both red and green GPUs at once.

ZobarStyl fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 7, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for the replies. I'll, I'm curious to see independent testing :)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ElTipejoLoco posted:

If current GPU I have is a GeForce 9500 GT that currently has no cooling fan in its heat-sink because it broke, should I wait for the fabled 1070/1080 to come out, or should I stop living way back in the past yet?

I mean, the answer is obviously "why are you still using a GPU without a cooling fan, you dolt," but I'd still like to know the hypothetical answer with regards to upgrading to something that GeForce Experience won't be all "haha, let me tease you about the new functions I support that I can't even pretend to be able to give your outdated piece of junk."

If you have a 9500GT how old is the rest of your system? Is an old core 2 duo, or an earlier i5/i7? If you're doing a full PC upgrade (I am) then either card is going to be an unbelievable jump for you.

Barry posted:

I had a bolt of lightning hit like a block away from my house last week that fried my cable box and the HDMI inputs on my receiver. Sucks, but it's about 6 years old, so I'm not all that miffed about upgrading to the latest and greatest.

Get one (or more) of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HPV3RW/

You can run your cable through it as well which ensures more than just regular electronics are covered. I use one behind my TV and a PSU with my computer since I had a similar thing happen about a decade ago, only it was my PC that got fried because it was on a cheap and lovely surge protector.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

repiv posted:

Depends if the monitor supports HDMI 2.0. Older versions maxed out at 1920x1080, unless you dropped to 24/30hz.

It's HDMI 1.4

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

A guy just broke nda from the deep dive presentation thing going on right now over at beyond3d :

quote:

If I'm getting this right, the current presentation just said that Pascal can finally change the allocation of SM-blocks to either compute or graphic tasks at runtime, with the same granularity as preemption. Controlled by the driver.

And yes, this apparently does mean that Maxwell actually statically assigned a SM either to compute or graphics for the duration of the next batch, depending on what load the driver tried to predict. And if the prediction was wrong, the GPU was stuck with half the SM units being unable to do anything? That explains a lot...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Jesus well now I am torn because while a 1080 is awesome it looks, you know the 1080Ti is going to be stupid with HBM2 if the performance increase is real. And I have to decide if I want to stick it out with my 980Ti Strix and loose a tone of value, or see if I can sell it now and recoup the cost for a 1080(ti) in a few months. Grr

That would mean no VR gaming between now and then though so... Crap. Not like I have had time for it anyway, but man being down a system for the summer doesn't sound fun......

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Jesus well now I am torn because while a 1080 is awesome it looks, you know the 1080Ti is going to be stupid with HBM2 if the performance increase is real. And I have to decide if I want to stick it out with my 980Ti Strix and loose a tone of value, or see if I can sell it now and recoup the cost for a 1080(ti) in a few months. Grr

That would mean no VR gaming between now and then though so... Crap. Not like I have had time for it anyway, but man being down a system for the summer doesn't sound fun......

See if you can still get a good price for the 980 Ti to trade it in for a 1080 cheap?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Regardless on whether real world shows as much headroom over a 980ti under normal applications, the VR enhancements make it totally worth it to me.

Also, the power consumption means that it should consume maybe 20w more than my GTX460 which means I can get away with not buying a new power supply.

Hopefully supply won't be constrained too much. My rift ships between June 6th and 16th, so the timing couldn't be more perfect as long as they don't get backordered for months.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The "relative performance" numbers seem to be based on (synthetic) VR benchmarking. The game performance graph on the product page (which someone grabbed some raw numbers from and the game settings in that link I just posted) seems slightly more concrete.

Until we see real benchmarks conducted by another party, I'm going to assume the above is the closest thing to reality right now

The chart you're referring to showed a TitanX at 3.6 and a 1080 at 4.4 That's about a 22% improvement (my math could be a little fuzzy on that) So a 22% gaming performance improvement and it only draws 150ish watts versus the Titan X drawing 250 or so about 66% more efficient while providing 22% more performance. That's not terrible.

I see a lot of people crying about the 599 price tag (on other forums,) I think they've failed to realize that the cost of 16nm finfet is much greater than 28nm. Nvidia's margins probably aren't going to be as good for 1 or 2 generations as they were at the end of 28nm. I'm running a 980 and plan on using the 1080 in my broadwell - E build (wish Intel would get off their asses and release BW-E already I'm only missing the CPU to complete the build.) We can probably expect the Titan Whatever it's called this gen in 8 to 12 months and a pricetag of 1199. The full size die won't be cheap.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

xthetenth posted:

See if you can still get a good price for the 980 Ti to trade it in for a 1080 cheap?
Sell the 980Ti on Amazon (where they're still going for ~$500). Buy a EVGA 980Ti. Use step-up to 1070/1080 once real benchmarks hit. Don't worry about the 1080Ti because we won't see that guy for quite awhile.

Darkpriest667 posted:

I see a lot of people crying about the 599 price tag (on other forums,)
These people are idiots. The 980 launched at $549 and that was on a fully mature process node.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 7, 2016

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

DrDork posted:

Sell the 980Ti on Amazon (where they're still going for ~$500). Buy a EVGA 980Ti. Use step-up to 1070/1080 once real benchmarks hit. Don't worry about the 1080Ti because we won't see that guy for quite awhile.

These people are idiots. The 980 launched at $549 and that was on a fully mature process node.

You're right but I do wonder about this founder's edition thing. I like my reference coolers and I don't think I should have to pay 100 bucks for a reference cooler. Someone said it's possible the 100 is for a vapor chamber only to be on the founder's edition. I'm really curious what the hell the differences are. Probably binning but who knows. I really would have liked some more information on that.

EDIT --- according to hardware canucks the founders card has the same reference blower but machined aluminium instead of plastic.

Darkpriest667 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 7, 2016

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I seem to remember the presentation mentioning the Founder's Edition would be for "sick overclocks" or whatever banal phrase he used. My assumption is just better binned chips. Either way I'd expect the same reference cooler.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ak Gara posted:

I run my monitor at 3264x1836 @ 60 fps via dvi. If I swapped to a GTX 1080, would the HDMI out from that, plugged into the HDMI in on the monitor work?

First, WTF is up with that resolution? What monitor are you using? The only mentions of that resolution I can find are smartphone camera sensors.

Anyways, 3264x1836 is just short of 18 MB per frame, assuming we're talking about standard 8 bit per channel/24bpp RGB. At 60 Hz that's 8.6 gigabits per second.

Technically you're exceeding the official DVI spec already. DVI-DL doesn't actually have a maximum clock, but 165MHz is the highest official speed just like single link mode. resulting in a spec maximum of 7.92 gigabits per second. HDMI 2.0 is the only HDMI variant with enough bandwidth to handle that.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

980 came out at $549 if what I'm reading is correct. How big was the performance margin for the 980 over the 780 in benchmarks comparable for the time to the 2560x1600 max Witcher and Tomb Raider benchmarks?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I thought that Founder's Edition is primarily a way of nVidia to sell some "reference" cards for a mark-up and to help determine what the underlying demand is based upon the order volume for those cards. That and the mark-up is a way of paying a little more for early adopter access more explicitly.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

wolrah posted:

HDMI 2.0 is the only HDMI variant with enough bandwidth to handle that.
And that's assuming the monitor supports HDMI 2.0, as well.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

DrDork posted:

I seem to remember the presentation mentioning the Founder's Edition would be for "sick overclocks" or whatever banal phrase he used. My assumption is just better binned chips. Either way I'd expect the same reference cooler.

Well you'd think that but it's powered by a single 8 pin. My 980 is powered by 2 6 pins. How much voltage are you going to be able to push through it for better overclocks. These monsters already boost clock to 1750. Seems to me the 8 pin would be a limiting factor for heavy overclocking. Perhaps someone with more GPU overclocking experience can comment on that.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Darkpriest667 posted:

I see a lot of people crying about the 599 price tag (on other forums,) I think they've failed to realize that the cost of 16nm finfet is much greater than 28nm. Nvidia's margins probably aren't going to be as good for 1 or 2 generations as they were at the end of 28nm. I'm running a 980 and plan on using the 1080 in my broadwell - E build (wish Intel would get off their asses and release BW-E already I'm only missing the CPU to complete the build.) We can probably expect the Titan Whatever it's called this gen in 8 to 12 months and a pricetag of 1199. The full size die won't be cheap.

They report their margins. They've been steadily climbing.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

xthetenth posted:

Right because the process had matured on 28nm. The 16nm process was much more expensive and TMSC charged more for it. So their margins will either stay the same or go down. Also the number of good wafers was a lot less on 16nm. Nvidia has never sucked at making money so I wouldn't expect them to lose money on this I just think that their margins aren't going to be as good as they were at the end of 28nm. This is why the price had to go up.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Darkpriest667 posted:

I think they've failed to realize that the cost of 16nm finfet is much greater than 28nm.
I've read elsewhere that the 16/14nm processes are supposedly costing about double 28nm on a per mm sq basis right now. Can't remember if it was B3D or RWT comments but it wouldn't shock me if true since these new processes are supposed to be fairly expensive. Unless they're willing to keep margins low for a while a Vega or Titan-Pascal will probably be very expensive thanks to that + the costs of using HBM2. Performance should be stellar for either part though.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

Really? I thought that was seriously hidden info.

4 billion is a pretty giant investment for an architecture if that figure was correct, was pretty surprised at that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Darkpriest667 posted:

Well you'd think that but it's powered by a single 8 pin. My 980 is powered by 2 6 pins. How much voltage are you going to be able to push through it for better overclocks. These monsters already boost clock to 1750. Seems to me the 8 pin would be a limiting factor for heavy overclocking. Perhaps someone with more GPU overclocking experience can comment on that.
Well, the demo unit was running at 2100Mhz at 67C, sooooo.....

The specs list the 1080 as running at 180W. A 8-pin + board power gets you 225W before you even break the PCIe specs, so that's 25% more wattage overhead available. And it's not like there's anything stopping you from breaking said PCIe specs, either *ahem 295x2 ahem*

But yes, I'd expect that all the usual partners will be more than happy to slap another 6 or 8 pin connector on there if wattage looks like it's a limiting factor.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Also, seriously, if you 980Ti holders are lookin' to sell, Amazon is the place to be. Just managed to sell mine for $480, having listed it last night.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

DrDork posted:

Where on Amazon do you see a 980Ti for $500?

Oh nm, used.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

How big was the performance margin for the 980 over the 780 in benchmarks
980gtx was around 30% faster than the 780gtx I believe. The 780Ti actually came pretty close to the 980's performance though, around 10% difference on avg.

The 1080 and 1070 look to be a good step up from previous gen cards both in terms of performance per watt and total peak performance. I'd expect AMD to get similar gains in at least performance per watt just due to the new process. A 480X still probably won't beat a 1070, much less the 1080, but it should get close to the 1070 and if they can keep the price difference around $50-100 that seems like a solid value to me that would sell well. Lets just hope AMD doesn't make any more mistakes.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

GTX 670 to GTX 1080 sounds like a perfectly reasonable thing for me to drop cash on and start playing PC games more often. Can't wait for this poo poo.

Now just have to find time (or one of you goons) to perform a similar quantum leap in the OP of this thread. :smith:

Look at that eye diagram :fap:

movax fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 7, 2016

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

DrDork posted:

Also, seriously, if you 980Ti holders are lookin' to sell, Amazon is the place to be. Just managed to sell mine for $480, having listed it last night.

About how long do you expect that gravy train to last? I previously said I should keep my 980Ti, but new toys are always nice! If we truly are looking for 12 months for the 1080Ti, and I want a stop gap 1080, the sooner I pull that trigger the better.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Anti-Hero posted:

About how long do you expect that gravy train to last? I previously said I should keep my 980Ti, but new toys are always nice! If we truly are looking for 12 months for the 1080Ti, and I want a stop gap 1080, the sooner I pull that trigger the better.
Probably not a terribly long time. If those performance charts weren't totally made up, the 1070 looks like it should be competitive with the 980Ti, and for $380. I'm sure you can figure the rest out from there.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Nvidia reference blowers are amazing for itx builds

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

980 came out at $549 if what I'm reading is correct. How big was the performance margin for the 980 over the 780 in benchmarks comparable for the time to the 2560x1600 max Witcher and Tomb Raider benchmarks?

It looks like the 980 is about 35% faster than the 780.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980_Ti/31.html
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1036?vs=1351

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you have a 9500GT how old is the rest of your system? Is an old core 2 duo, or an earlier i5/i7? If you're doing a full PC upgrade (I am) then either card is going to be an unbelievable jump for you.

Get one (or more) of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HPV3RW/

You can run your cable through it as well which ensures more than just regular electronics are covered. I use one behind my TV and a PSU with my computer since I had a similar thing happen about a decade ago, only it was my PC that got fried because it was on a cheap and lovely surge protector.

Yeah, I just learned my lesson that any old "surge protector" isn't really a good idea to put a few thousand dollars of electronics behind. Definitely getting something legit.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Malcolm XML posted:

Nvidia reference blowers are amazing for itx builds

How loud do they tend to be? I like my itx pc to remain pretty quite, even while gaming.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

980gtx was around 30% faster than the 780gtx I believe. The 780Ti actually came pretty close to the 980's performance though, around 10% difference on avg.

Nice!

Now I'm curious about how the 980ti does on 2560x1600 "max" benchmarks for the Witcher 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider, alongside 980 gtx benchmarks. We could use the percent different from that graph to model where the 1080 gtx might land in terms of fps as well as a percent difference between that and the 980ti

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Trent Razor1911 posted:

How loud do they tend to be? I like my itx pc to remain pretty quite, even while gaming.

The blowers in NVidia reference are actually higher quality than third party blowers (Asus, PNY) or AMD reference. They have a sound profile that is low pitched and not super annoying.

As always though, I recommend the Thermaltake Core V1 for new ITX builds, if you're OK with a cubic-foot shaped case. They are sub $50, fit all but the hugest cards (i.e. Any card but triple-fan Gigabyte size), and have side vents so fan-style cards work great too. They also fit a full-size ATX power supply and 5 of the 6 sides of the case pop off so it's super easy to build in.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/thermaltake-case-ca1b800s1wn00

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The rest of the machine's as old as the DH55TC motherboard it's cobbled onto, which I guess is an i7. I was thinking of just upgrading its ram from 4 GB to 16, actually.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Man are people really trying to justify prices increasing substantially year after year, just seems crazy to me. I guess good for nvidia if they can keep doing it and selling cards? Shareholders must be loving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Now I'm curious about how the 980ti does on 2560x1600 "max" benchmarks for the Witcher 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider
This might be what you're looking for then.
http://www.techspot.com/review/1011-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti/

Too lazy to do the number crunching though sorry