Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Housh
Jul 9, 2001

The last two episodes have been unbelievably awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Anyone else think Tamami might have been lying about some of his abilities, given how untrustworthy he is?

He says The Lock still works when he's asleep or out of a certain range and that it reflects any damage he takes.

Yet we never see any indication of that. And given how he freaks out when Echoes tries to punch him, it's clear he's kind of a wimp. He could just be BSing to trick them into compliance.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I can't wait to see him guilt trip other stand users. Also, is the overall theme of Part 4 a criticism on Western capitalism and suburban life? Just throwing that out there.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

No

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Rangpur posted:

So now we officially have our P4 main character, our Kanji and our Yosuke. Looking forward to seeing the Jojo equivalent of a talking bear mascot.

Please do not compare noted good boy Kouichi to Yousuke

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Housh posted:

Also, is the overall theme of Part 4 a criticism on Western capitalism and suburban life? Just throwing that out there.

n-no

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm pretty sure it's just araki making manga reminiscent of the area he remembers growing up in

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's A Pup Named Scooby Doo but with more punching and magical psychic powers

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I think what triggered this thought were the dollar and yen signs on the Nijimura brothers combined with the father's story but that could be universal and timeless. Also, the Western flags on Tamami's his shirt combined with his stand's ability to extort money out of people but when I think about it that's the kind of gaudy poo poo people wear in Japan.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/728648839129894913

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

can we get this guy every week?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

It was perfect for this episode, at least. Obviously something was stylistically different but I guess I hadn't put two and two together.

I just re-watched (since my first watch is at work and I'm usually half watching, half reviewing morning work stuff) and I liked it even more.

It's sort weird of me to say given that I was not a big fan of koichi when I read the manga (I've done a 180, I love the guy now) but I really do think this was the best episode of pt 4 yet. Echoes' effect looks cool on the page, don't get me wrong, but it was just really great to see how it was done.

Dang though if Koichi's already this badass after only the introduction of Echoes, it's gonna get really great with him. Koichi's gonna do his fans proud :allears:

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 7, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

RareAcumen posted:

I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a girl who looked good, I would call her
I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala
:respek:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Continued LB:

Joseph trying to blatantly trick the 100 vampires and getting called out on it was pretty funny.

Also, random ancient chariot death race between Joseph and Wamuu with said 100 vampires in the audience? Vampire horses? Uh, I'll take it.

E: Am I hearing things or are they playing dubstep at the end of this fight between Joseph and Wamuu?

E2: Atmospheric Rift? OH SHI-!! :supaburn:

To be continued... Of course. :f5:

E3: Wamuu's death scene and his interaction with Joseph was honestly pretty touching. God speed, you crazy, proud Aztec demigod warrior :patriot:.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 7, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Housh posted:

I think what triggered this thought were the dollar and yen signs on the Nijimura brothers combined with the father's story but that could be universal and timeless. Also, the Western flags on Tamami's his shirt combined with his stand's ability to extort money out of people but when I think about it that's the kind of gaudy poo poo people wear in Japan.

It's about community

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's Archie and friends teaming up to take down the Zodiac killer.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Augus posted:

It's A Pup Named Scooby Doo but with more punching and magical psychic powers

I wonder what kind of Stand Red Herring has.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Continued LB:

Joseph trying to blatantly trick the 100 vampires and getting called out on it was pretty funny.

Also, random ancient chariot death race between Joseph and Wamuu with said 100 vampires in the audience? Vampire horses? Uh, I'll take it.

You wouldn't think putting JJBA and a horse race together would work, but it ends up making for some rather great stuff.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder what kind of Stand Red Herring has.

Redd Herring is the collective Stand of every culprit on the show.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

By the way this episode was great and Koichi being badass is also great. His stand is totally weird but awesome

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

It's Archie and friends teaming up to take down the Zodiac killer.

I thought you guys said we weren't going into US politics here?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I like the Archie analogy because that makes Okuyasu Jughead Jones and Jughead is the greatest

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I thought you guys said we weren't going into US politics here?

The Chinese Zodiac.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Echoes' effect looks cool on the page, don't get me wrong, but it was just really great to see how it was done.

It's also going to be nice to be able to just hear what the sounds are, rather than having understanding of the scene depend on whether or not the translator can be bothered to translate the sound effects this time

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Making a separate post to address this:

I get that JoJo was first printed in the late 1980s, but the mild sexism bothers me a little (i.e. "I'd rather not fight a woman" or "When I'm fighting you, I won't think of you as a woman" etc).

Doesn't Japan still have sexism issues to this day? I've heard it said that while other countries are dealing with sexism in the 21st century, Japan is still where it was in the 1970s re: "office ladies" and all that.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I get that JoJo was first printed in the late 1980s, but the mild sexism bothers me a little (i.e. "I'd rather not fight a woman" or "When I'm fighting you, I won't think of you as a woman" etc).

Doesn't Japan still have sexism issues to this day? I've heard it said that while other countries are dealing with sexism in the 21st century, Japan is still where it was in the 1970s re: "office ladies" and all that.

Hoo boy does it ever. It's not as bad as it was back then, obviously, but it's still pretty bad.

For what it's worth, Araki tried to make up for it by having a female JoJo later on.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's kind of a learning process for him, mostly. over time he tries to do better and you can see it, but yeah there's occasional moments that are questionable and don't really need to exist.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
LB:

Hell yes, Stroheim!! :hellyeah::hf::godwinning: His ominous German chanting music is the best, too!

Also, I was really hoping and wondering when Smokey would come back, I liked him.

E: And now Kars is... Playing Lisa Lisa's leg like an air guitar? That's... Uh.... Kars is kind of a weirdo.

E2: So Lisa Lisa is Joseph's actual mom? Well, poo poo. :suspense:

Also, Kars is kiiiiind of a dick. Not as much as Dio, but getting there.

E3: Joseph's Hamon Overdrive to cut directly through Kars's blade hand was BAD rear end AS poo poo! :krad:

E4: I figured it had to happen somehow for dramatic escalation, but Kars officially got the Super Stone of Aja upgrade. We're all hosed. :stare:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 7, 2016

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Kars was such a weird main villain. I never could get a read on him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

E2: So Lisa Lisa is Joseph's actual mom? Well, poo poo. :suspense:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

To be fair, Joseph had no way of knowing that info.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Somewhere around six years ago some massive cult (talkin' big wig politicians and people in charge of huge businesses and also a ton of regular folk) named ロマゾフィー協会 cult (The Roma-Sophie Society) got massive arrests all over mainly due to money laundry of massive scale, this cult included immortality poo poo and, of course, women seen as tools that should stay at home wearing provocative clothes to gather spiritual energy. So... yeah, very much work in progress still.

As mentioned, Araki does progress with his treatment of women as time goes on, I think there's a pretty clear point in Part 5 where you can see him become aware of it.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Kars was such a weird main villain. I never could get a read on him.

Can a man who makes such cute squirrels truly be a villain?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I like the Archie analogy because that makes Okuyasu Jughead Jones and Jughead is the greatest

No no, Okuyasu cannot be Jughead, that precious crown lay on someone else's head...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

What's with Araki and moms

edit: poo poo gently caress double post

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Speedwagon didn't want Smokey to say anything because Joseph would get super grossed out

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Moms are toughhot

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Kurtofan posted:

edit: sorry

end of part 2 spoilerhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rhNdQMUMeg

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 7, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Somewhere around six years ago some massive cult (talkin' big wig politicians and people in charge of huge businesses and also a ton of regular folk) named ロマゾフィー協会 cult (The Roma-Sophie Society) got massive arrests all over mainly due to money laundry of massive scale, this cult included immortality poo poo and, of course, women seen as tools that should stay at home wearing provocative clothes to gather spiritual energy. So... yeah, very much work in progress still.

As mentioned, Araki does progress with his treatment of women as time goes on, I think there's a pretty clear point in Part 5 where you can see him become aware of it.

Can a man who makes such cute squirrels truly be a villain?

He saved a dog.

The blackest of JoJo villainy.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kurtofan posted:

That's like the least creepy thing an immortal vampire is gonna be into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

True, but boy is that awkward though huh?

• Locked thread