Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

Coincidentally, there are 40 militia checkpoints and watch towers. There's forty militia checkpoints and watch towers. That's as many as four tens.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

That's terrible!

this but game design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I want joker to slip in the shower and crack his head wide open on the rim.

That's stealing from the Hal Jordan playbook, and Joker only steals from the best.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

OldMemes posted:

When they were promoting Arkham Origins, they made it sound like the Joker would only have a small part in the story, basically a cameo, and that Black Mask would be the main villian, but nope!

There are some signs Joker wasn't actually planned for it really early in development- at a minimum, a bunch of plot points got heavily edited during development, and the seams from that rework still show. My favorite example of that, because it's fairly easy to see, is that the weapons deal you interrupt was originally going to be with Bane's gang.

dscruffy1 posted:

Coincidentally, there are 40 militia checkpoints and watch towers. There's forty militia checkpoints and watch towers. That's as many as four tens.

That's fine if you still like the gameplay.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Back to everyone's favorite part: the main story!

Breaking (Limbs) And Entering/Polsy

New story: Down The Rabbit Hole

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
In today's update

:words:

Though Scruffy does make a good point. If Scarecrow hadn't evacuated the city, then Batman's failure to stop him from setting off the Cloudburst would have undoubtedly killed a lot of people.

It's kind of a Catch 22. To acquire the Cloudburst, he needs Gotham evacuated. But evacuating Gotham means that setting the Cloudburst off in Gotham isn't AS effective as it could have been.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 7, 2016

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The Cloudburst was also plan B, remember he originally planned to blow-up ACE Chemicals which would have resulted in a much larger spread of Fear Toxin.

Also, wow I'm an idiot. I only just realised that it's the Batmobile's wheels driving the drill at the end there, I didn't figure that out when playing. For some reason I thought that pulling on the supports drove a motor or something, so I didn't figure out the logic of which side to pull to raise or lower the platform.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Regarding how Batman decoded Gordon's transmission, that's pretty simple. The DC universe has pretty much always operated under the rules of Hollywood-style hacking, where it's all about furiously mashing keys and then saying "I'm in."

Come to think of it, does the Bat-Computer even have a mouse?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I really feel like that Militia suicide vest speech set piece was originally intended to be waaay earlier in the game.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

JT Jag posted:

I really feel like that Militia suicide vest speech set piece was originally intended to be waaay earlier in the game.

Yeah, that really strikes me as something you'd see to introduce the Militia's tactics. It could be doubly funny because they would see from that little display that the bomb vests don't work, and would never use them again.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Why would Gordon be using a SWAT radio that the comms room couldn't decrypt in the first place? I first figured this might implicate Branden, the SWAT captain from Arkham Origins, who would certainly have a beef with the Bat.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
It seems to me that the bomb vests would work just fine if everyone had them. Not so much as an actual armor from being knocked out, but as a delaying tactic as batman has to try to get people relatively alone in the middle of a fistfight to have time to disable their vests. This obviously wouldn't be fun as a game mechanic, but as actual strategy, it could keep batman busy at a key defense point while you bussed in about 50 dudes with guns and similar bomb vests. And then Batman has to leave because it's too dense and even fear takedowns would just result in explosions.

Then Batman makes a new gadget that disables the vests remotely and kicks everyone's rear end.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Also, unless I'm remembering things very wrongly: they weren't introducing a new gameplay mechanic there with the vest, it never appears again in the game. It's just a one-time thing.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

How to Unmask Batman Guide
Step 1: Hold hostages as far from Gotham as possible.
Step 2: Get media attention and tell Batman to reveal his identity or you will kill more hostages every minute, and shoot a hostage.
Step 3: Keep shooting hostages until Bruce Wayne admits to being Batman.

Better than spending hundreds of billions on your weird fear plan or whatever.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

JossiRossi posted:

How to Unmask Batman Guide
Step 1: Hold hostages as far from Gotham as possible.
Step 2: Get media attention and tell Batman to reveal his identity or you will kill more hostages every minute, and shoot a hostage.
Step 3: Keep shooting hostages until Bruce Wayne admits to being Batman.

Better than spending hundreds of billions on your weird fear plan or whatever.

That actually happened in one of the Batman movies, and it just resulted in someone else saying he was Batman, while the real Batman watched over him to clobber the villain when they came for him. :geno:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

IMJack posted:

Why would Gordon be using a SWAT radio that the comms room couldn't decrypt in the first place? I first figured this might implicate Branden, the SWAT captain from Arkham Origins, who would certainly have a beef with the Bat.

Given how easily Batman decrypted the signal, I'm just guessing the guy at the comm station was really stupid.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Oh, right, Commissioner Gordon is still around... welcome back Jim! I hope your time in plot stasis was pleasant.

Does firing your electricity gun or beating the militia commander to within an inch of his life cause him to explode? Have these games ever given you the chance to actually kill someone and cause a game over (those 4 people in the water were just stunned, don't be such a cynic!)? That dial on his chest, that Batman immediately knows how to use, reminds me of the dial from a board game I used to play as a kid called 'Perfection'.

Felinoid posted:

That actually happened in one of the Batman movies, and it just resulted in someone else saying he was Batman, while the real Batman watched over him to clobber the villain when they came for him. :geno:
The hostages were still in Gotham though, and Joker decided that knowing who Batman was would be boring and instead decided to blow up hospitals until the guy threatening to unmask Batman was killed instead... and then there were a bunch of Batman imitators who also got themselves killed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CzarChasm posted:

Given how easily Batman decrypted the signal, I'm just guessing the guy at the comm station was really stupid.

Bats has access to Waynetech's supercomputers.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Bats has access to Waynetech's supercomputers.

There's a good chance Waynetech supplied the encryption capabilities even. Batman basically makes the world way less secure because he is so paranoid he tries to have backdoors in EVERYTHING.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The encryption system the police use is probably Waynetech too.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Alternatively, Batman spend some time pre-game getting decryption keys out of SWAT, because everything that demands SWAT is interesting by default?

That guy who decided to run when bat-tank - smart of him.
That guy who decided to play dead when bat-tank shot guy near him and knocked-out body hit him in the leg - smarter of him. Less damage to heal.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The hostages were still in Gotham though, and Joker decided that knowing who Batman was would be boring and instead decided to blow up hospitals until the guy threatening to unmask Batman was killed instead... and then there were a bunch of Batman imitators who also got themselves killed.

The main point is that it doesn't work, and has been shown not working. Batman doesn't have to get unmasked just because the hostages are far away from Gotham; poo poo will go sideways somehow long enough until he beats your face in, mask intact.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Scarecrow is starting to rival Batman for "number of back-up plans".

Plan A: Blow up ACE Chemicals and cover the eastern seaboard in fear toxin. Plan fails due to Batman.

Plan B: Use stolen Cloudburst to cover Gotham in fear toxin. Plan fails due to city being largely abandoned and also Batman.

Plan C: Take one of Batman's few remaining allies hostage and force the Dark Knight to unmask, which will...do something. I'm guessing reduce Batman to just a man rather than a legend? Plan has not failed yet but is likely to because Batman.

The question is...what is Plan D?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'll be honest, abusing Batmans fear of death like that was quite a good idea. If a few more people wore those protection vests at the same time, he'd have no way to disable them. Unfortunately they were kind of terrified by the idea and I can't blame them for that.

So here's a question: If someone wore such a west and something was wrong with the wiring so that it just explodes at some point, would Batman feel guilty about it? It's his fault that the person wore the vest in the first place after all.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 7, 2016

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Air is lava! posted:

I'll be honest, abusing Batmans fear of death like that was quite a good idea. If a few more people wore those protection vests at the same time, he'd have no way to disable them. Unfortunately they were kind of terrified by the idea and I can't blame them for that.

So here's a question: If someone wore such a west and something was wrong with the wiring so that it just explodes at some point, would Batman feel guilty about it? It's his fault that the person wore the vest in the first place after all.

On the other hand, Batman electrocuted that cluster of dudes in this same video, and they are Definitely Dead No Two Ways About It Very Dead, so i dunno

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

John Liver posted:

On the other hand, Batman electrocuted that cluster of dudes in this same video, and they are Definitely Dead No Two Ways About It Very Dead, so i dunno
Um sorry his scanner says they're unconscious

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Of course it does.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Do you think Alfred edits his screen to say unconscious instead of dead so Batman doesn't feel bad about doing his hobby?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Um sorry his scanner says they're unconscious

It's a bit like a doctor saying "stable", dead is stable, mostly, and death definitely causes unconsciousness.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Quiet Python posted:

Scarecrow is starting to rival Batman for "number of back-up plans".

Plan A: Blow up ACE Chemicals and cover the eastern seaboard in fear toxin. Plan fails due to Batman.

Plan B: Use stolen Cloudburst to cover Gotham in fear toxin. Plan fails due to city being largely abandoned and also Batman.

Plan C: Take one of Batman's few remaining allies hostage and force the Dark Knight to unmask, which will...do something. I'm guessing reduce Batman to just a man rather than a legend? Plan has not failed yet but is likely to because Batman.

The question is...what is Plan D?

Plan C isn't really a Plan C - was actually always intended simultaneous to Plan A.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I think if the Militia were as half as competent as that speech made them sound, they might've actually worked if they weren't the primary antagonist group of the game. If Scarecrow had his own gang running around doing stuff, and the knight and his forces were less common and fitted the role of more elite dudes, the way that some of the bigger heavier guys are used, but are just smarter and more prepared for the bat instead of just being a four hundred pound pile of sentient muscle. Give scarecrow a mix of mooks of former Jokers, guys on loan from Two Face and Penguin, every one contributing to Crane's effort to Kill The Bat. Then the Knight shows up and does poo poo, partly in with Scarecrow, but partly breaking off to focus on The Bat. This way the militia can seem actually threatening and not, y'know, laughable.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Air is lava! posted:

Batman looted Electrocutioner's body immediately after he died.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.

CzarChasm posted:

Or, given that "ten years ago" in Origins there was the whole corrupt S.W.A.T. bit, Batman just went ahead and had the decryption algorithm decoded a long while ago. His interaction with the Communications Officer's workstation mostly being uploading it to the rank-and-file officer's system. Heck, he might have merely asked Gordon for it in the intervening years in case he ever wound up helping S.W.A.T. in a hostage situation with <insert villain of choice here>. An angle without WayneTech even needing to be a relevant thing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Wedemeyer posted:

Do you think Alfred edits his screen to say unconscious instead of dead so Batman doesn't feel bad about doing his hobby?

Could be. After all, Batman is convinced that slamming into people at 100 MPH and having them fly into walls just knocks them unconscious because of electro shock reason stupidity.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

Or, given that "ten years ago" in Origins there was the whole corrupt S.W.A.T. bit, Batman just went ahead and had the decryption algorithm decoded a long while ago. His interaction with the Communications Officer's workstation mostly being uploading it to the rank-and-file officer's system. Heck, he might have merely asked Gordon for it in the intervening years in case he ever wound up helping S.W.A.T. in a hostage situation with <insert villain of choice here>. An angle without WayneTech even needing to be a relevant thing.

Alternatively, they could be WayneTech radios with a backdoor, as it seems that literally everything the GCPD uses is donated by Wayne Industries.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Air is lava! posted:

I don't think the strategy would be invincible unless the guys around the one Batman is trying to disable are willing to die for the cause. As soon as Batman grabs one bomb vest wearing guy and starts disarming the bomb, all others around him will freeze out of fear that interrupting him will cause the bomb to go off. It would be a hassle though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Wedemeyer posted:

"Don't worry little buddy their just... sleeping. Once they wake up they'll live on a fine farm were they'll frolic around."
If the state of his henchmen is an indication, I bet Bruce killed a lot of pets in his childhood.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Crystalgate posted:

I don't think the strategy would be invincible unless the guys around the one Batman is trying to disable are willing to die for the cause. As soon as Batman grabs one bomb vest wearing guy and starts disarming the bomb, all others around him will freeze out of fear that interrupting him will cause the bomb to go off. It would be a hassle though.

That would explain why the 30 guys in there during the video just stood and watched Batman molest the seminar leader.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It's simple. We bore the Batman.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
It just occured to me that according to this game batmans greatest fear is turning into someone with a sense of humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Air is lava! posted:

"Don't worry little buddy their just... sleeping. Once they wake up they'll live on a fine farm were they'll frolic around."
If the state of his henchmen is an indication, I bet Bruce killed a lot of pets in his childhood.

They're at a farm. Upstate. There's a hammock made of dreams.

• Locked thread